ADVERTISEMENT

Pre-Findlay notes

KODK

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
When Purdue takes the court for its first couple games, including the exhibition Sunday, it'll do so without its most experienced backcourt player.

And compounding that, April Wilson is also the Boilermakers' starting point guard. But the junior is suspended the first two games after an offseason arrest, leaving sophomore Ashley Morrissette to run the point vs. Findlay Sunday and at Ball State Friday.

"April's a big part of the team, so whenever she's out, obviously we miss her," said Hayden Hamby, who will likely start at 2 guard Sunday and back up at point. "But in practice, we have do some things without her being the point guard. I feel like it's one of those things, it's the first two games and we're going to have to step up for what we lack there."

Much of the responsibility will fall to Morrissette, making it a big leap from her freshman season to sophomore. A year ago, the 5-foot-9 Ohio native started quickly, averaging 6.3 points in about nine minutes per game through the first seven outings. But afterward, she found difficulty, not scoring in 14 games and not even playing in four others.

But the minutes - and productivity - will bounce up significantly now. They'll need to.

"I've been getting more reps at the point guard, so I definitely think that has helped me embrace the role a little more," Morrissette said.

"(Challenges are) knowing where to get the ball to my teammates in a position for them to score, and running through the offenses smoother, making sure we get a shot off before the shot clock runs out."
Hamby has liked what she's seen from Morrissette.

"She's done really well," she said. "Ashley has stepped up as a leader and she talks, she knows all the spots and she can definitely run the point guard. She's been doing a great job for us."

In practices, Purdue's worked to adjust without Wilson in the lineup, frequently putting Morrissette and Hamby on the same team to get them accustomed to playing together. They'll do so frequently vs. Findlay at 2 p.m. Sunday, then again in the regular-season opener in Muncie.

"They have to communicate, have good leadership ability," Coach Sharon Versyp said. "Understand what they do well and not force an issue or force certain things. … We've been talking a lot about game situations and what you need to do in certain instances."

• Purdue's likely starters against the Oilers: Morrissette, Hamby, Bridget Perry, Liza Clemons and Whitney Bays.

"But if someone doesn't do what they're supposed to do the next two days, that might not be the case," Versyp said Friday afternoon. "But we could have four different starting lineups depending on who we play."

• Purdue played a closed scrimmage a couple weeks ago vs. Indiana State, similar to what the two programs have done in recent years.

It wasn't offensively pretty, Versyp said.

"The deficits at that time when we played, we weren't real comfortable with the offense," she said. "The inside-outside game was non-existent. Our transition offense, we were standing right next to each other, instead of being wide and running the post right down the middle. I thought our defense was good, but offensively we were a little bit out of sync."

But it was better a week later, per Versyp, when the Boilermakers scrimmaged against their male practice players. Then, the offense looked better.

"Our assist to turnover ratio was similar, about 15 to 15, had like 30-some deflections and 15 steals, so that's what you're looking for," she said.

"I feel like there's been a lot of growth, but until you play another team, another system, defending somebody differently or someone defending you differently, hopefully we can learn a lot from this exhibition game."

This team may well start slowly and then gain steam as we hit the BT. That is the hope though it is fine if they start fast. :)
I think Morissette will do well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT