ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Official Favorite Boilermaker of the Keady era

Who is your favorite (not best) player of the Keady era (can vote for 2)

• T. Lewis

• S. Scheffler

• T. Mitchell

• G. Robinson

• C. Martin

• C. Austin

• B. Miller

• B. Cardinal

• W. Deane

• C. Landry

Results are only viewable after voting.
I only chose Brad because I knew him and he was a good guy. My daughter knew Big Dog well, and Joe Barry wasn't listed ... His last year was 1980, so I understand.

All of the guys listed as options were outstanding, in general, and, in their own regard...and, there are others that were as well...somebody already mentioned Kenneth Lowe and Tony Jones...Jaraan Cornell...Doug Lee...Curt Clawson/Steve Reid (the "Dodge City Gunslinger")...Kip Jones...Melvin McCants...Russell Cross...Ricky Hall...Keith Edmonson...James Bullock...Jim Rowinski...Scooby Scearce...David Teague...Carson Cunningham...the list goes on and on.

Thus far, there are a couple of guys on the list that had no votes...which is understandable given the list and ability to only vote for 2, however, any of those guys on that list are more than worthy of being recognized as a favorite and for their accomplishments.

For starters, I have always loved the "teams" that Keady and CMP put together. I find the contrasts, and complementary pieces to the teams just fascinating.
With that said, I have always seemed to find a favorite player before they even play their first game for the Boilers.

My buddy and I used to frequent the Midnight Madness events, and I would always seem to focus in on a player that maybe had tons of potential, but often wasn't supposed to be much more than a supporting cast/role player on the team. Often times it was more because of the players demeanor, playing style or personality, than their actual in-game performance.

Some of my past "favorite players" include: Everett Stephens, Curt Clawson, Porter Roberts, LewJack, Todd Foster, Ian Stanback, Melvin McCants, GD Barlow, Jacquil Taylor, Cornelius McNary, Ricky Hall, Sandi Marcius, Brian Cardinal, David Lesmond, Roy Hairston, Justin Jennings, Anthony Johnson, Rapheal Davis and Tim Fisher (he was from my high school, so he was an automatic choice).

But probably my most-est favorite everyday, non-STAR type player will always be Herb Dove. Dude just oozed potential, had some really good moments on the floor, but never quite make that leap to "elite" status.

I totally enjoyed the Herb Dove birthday thread on here a while back; as it brought up some really good memories for me (I graduated from Purdue in 1993, so that was kinda my "golden years" era). That link that KLM posted to Alabama-Purdue game on Youtube, with the Dove making the baseline move for a dunk, really took me back.

For starters, I have always loved the "teams" that Keady and CMP put together. I find the contrasts, and complementary pieces to the teams just fascinating.
With that said, I have always seemed to find a favorite player before they even play their first game for the Boilers.

My buddy and I used to frequent the Midnight Madness events, and I would always seem to focus in on a player that maybe had tons of potential, but often wasn't supposed to be much more than a supporting cast/role player on the team. Often times it was more because of the players demeanor, playing style or personality, than their actual in-game performance.

Some of my past "favorite players" include: Everett Stephens, Curt Clawson, Porter Roberts, LewJack, Todd Foster, Ian Stanback, Melvin McCants, GD Barlow, Jacquil Taylor, Cornelius McNary, Ricky Hall, Sandi Marcius, Brian Cardinal, David Lesmond, Roy Hairston, Justin Jennings, Anthony Johnson, Rapheal Davis and Tim Fisher (he was from my high school, so he was an automatic choice).

But probably my most-est favorite everyday, non-STAR type player will always be Herb Dove. Dude just oozed potential, had some really good moments on the floor, but never quite make that leap to "elite" status.

I totally enjoyed the Herb Dove birthday thread on here a while back; as it brought up some really good memories for me (I graduated from Purdue in 1993, so that was kinda my "golden years" era). That link that KLM posted to Alabama-Purdue game on Youtube, with the Dove making the baseline move for a dunk, really took me back.
Big Dog by far, but was amazed how Steve Scheffler improved every year by leaps and bounds.

Reactions: TX4GB and jimsil13
Why isn’t Carson Cunningham on the list?
He could shoot with either hand and won a triple OT game from the line against Michigan in Mackey back in 97-98 I believe.

I loved his game

Edit: 1999 loss in double OT but I think he sent the game into the second OT from the line. Seems he had injured his right arm and was shooting left handed for the night.

Last edited:
All of the guys listed as options were outstanding, in general, and, in their own regard...and, there are others that were as well...somebody already mentioned Kenneth Lowe and Tony Jones...Jaraan Cornell...Doug Lee...Curt Clawson/Steve Reid (the "Dodge City Gunslinger")...Kip Jones...Melvin McCants...Russell Cross...Ricky Hall...Keith Edmonson...James Bullock...Jim Rowinski...Scooby Scearce...David Teague...Carson Cunningham...the list goes on and on.

Thus far, there are a couple of guys on the list that had no votes...which is understandable given the list and ability to only vote for 2, however, any of those guys on that list are more than worthy of being recognized as a favorite and for their accomplishments.
Fantastic list. All true Boilermakers to be proud of.

Of those listed, I would have to say Chad Austin. Carson Cunningham was my favorite, however (and my favorite, all-time Boilermaker).

Interesting... a second data point for Cunningham! The max number of options is 10, but I’m not sure I ever would have thought of Cunningham as a candidate.

What about those who played under Piggy Lambert? I went to school with a guy named Wooden who did a good job of running the floor and orchestrating the game. Okay, it was my father but he liked John and I had to mention him.

No, I meant “JBC never played under Keady”
Correct:
During his senior year, he led the Boilermakers to an NCAA Final Four appearance, losing to UCLA in the semi-finals. They won the consolation game against Iowa, where Carroll scored a game-high 35 points in his last game as a Boilermaker. Leading Purdue to a 23–10 record on the season, he was named a First Team All-American and a second straight First Team All-Big Ten selection. He played 1,235 minutes on the season, the most by any player in school history.

KEADY"s first year was the following year.

Reactions: TX4GB
I found the Purdue Louisville game from Jan 1987 and watched that this morning. Doug Lee was a good one. Lewis was steady and mixed it up underneath every once in awhile. A couple 2-3 zone sightings. Interesting to see Keady/Weber/Stallings on the sideline.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAG10
Big Dog by far, but was amazed how Steve Scheffler improved every year by leaps and bounds.
Agreed , Steve worked his tail off and actually spent 7 seasons in the NBA. I voted for Big Dog and also Big Steve. Possibly one of the nicest people you could ever come across. My Cousin roomed with him and I got to meet him. The guy was incredible. You should hear how smart he was with his NBA money. He actually lived with his parents in the off season until he got married. Guy was genuine and a great example of what being a Boilermaker is

Keady era

Kip Jones or Greg Eifert. Ricky Hall?
The guys that gave 101% on the defensive end.

Eifert Couldn't shoot a lick. But shut down 3's, 4's and 5's. Whoever was the best scorer, he guarded them. And usually shut them down despite large size disadvantages. Farm strong though he wasn't a farm boy (as far as I know)

Kip was one of the guys that broke out very late his senior year as he realized he could use his athleticism to get to the rim. Really nice kid as was Greg. And Ricky.

Ricky couldn't shoot much either, but made himself into the best defensive player in the Big 10 for 2 years. Shut down kid. You didnt' score much on him. Or even get shots off. Hell you had trouble catching the ball he was so all over you.

I like the kids that do the "other things" that make teams successful. Scoring is flashy and great, but it takes guys doing the dirty work too. They dont' get any (much) glory for it, but they do it for the good of the team.
And I love that ****.

Favorites of an old timer: Paul Hoffman, Carl McNulty, Jake Eison, Jerry Berkshire, Bob Purkhiser, Danny Thornburg, and Howie Williams.

Reactions: DAG10
Interesting... a second data point for Cunningham! The max number of options is 10, but I’m not sure I ever would have thought of Cunningham as a candidate.
Count me as a third one...no question about it...LOVED Carson Cunningham...still do for that matter, and, have remained in touch with him to this day.

No Ten dam, David Lesmomd, Todd Schuttlkottie

Didn't he become a pilot?
He absolutely did...and, another guy that was a far better person than player.

He played that year; was he injured for the tournament?
I found an article that said Arnold and Dave Stack were academically ineligible the first semester that year. Then it said he left the team for personal reasons for the second semester. He looked good in the Louisville game that I watched recently the year before in ‘86-87. He was one of my favorites. I was disappointed he didn’t play his senior year. I guess Sheffler was the backup for the 87-88? I don’t think he was ready that year.

Reactions: Boilermb
I found an article that said Arnold and Dave Stack were academically ineligible the first semester that year. Then it said he left the team for personal reasons for the second semester. He looked good in the Louisville game that I watched recently the year before in ‘86-87. He was one of my favorites. I was disappointed he didn’t play his senior year. I guess Sheffler was the backup for the 87-88? I don’t think he was ready that year.
I was likewise very disappointed that Arnold didn’t play his senior year. The story I heard is that he made grades the first semester to regain eligibility for the second senior semester, but skipped a few classes after having been warned by Coach Keady not to skip any. The resulting punishment was sitting out one game the second semester for each skipped class. I think he was going to have to sit out the first 3 games. He was at the first game of the second semester but was dressed in street clothes. (I was at that game and saw him there.) He then quit the team shortly afterwards.

• Sad
Reactions: TX4GB
I was likewise very disappointed that Arnold didn’t play his senior year. The story I heard is that he made grades the first semester to regain eligibility for the second senior semester, but skipped a few classes after having been warned by Coach Keady not to skip any. The resulting punishment was sitting out one game the second semester for each skipped class. I think he was going to have to sit out the first 3 games. He was at the first game of the second semester but was dressed in street clothes. (I was at that game and saw him there.) He then quit the team shortly afterwards.
That’s not exactly right. The whole story was reported by Montieth in Passion Play. Basically, Arnold promised Keady he would stay out of the bars until the end of the season, and he didn’t.

Reactions: TX4GB and Boilermb
That’s not exactly right. The whole story was reported by Montieth in Passion Play. Basically, Arnold promised Keady he would stay out of the bars until the end of the season, and he didn’t.
I think the players voted him off the team I think. I’ll have to dig up that book.

Reactions: Boilermb
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT