ADVERTISEMENT

PJ Fleck interested in Bruin's job

Is it just me, or isn't that kind of a "bleep you" to Minny? And if he doesn't get it, wouldn't that make things "uncomfortable" there? The worst of it, what has he really done there?
He apparently backed off that a little. But it's definitely going to create some uncertainty. UCLA could probably do worse than hire him, and I'm not sure how much better they can do.

Reactions: pboiler18
He apparently backed off that a little. But it's definitely going to create some uncertainty. UCLA could probably do worse than hire him, and I'm not sure how much better they can do.
I don't think it's any secret that he's always had "jumping boat" (see what I did there) for a better opportunity in mind. I just can't see the attractiveness for UCLA. I can see the Minny fanbase going "What the heck, PJ".

Not sure how true all that is or just rumors but if it is true and he ends up staying at Minnesota thats got to hurt his recruiting pitch for future boat rowers.

Reactions: Tommaker
I don't think it's any secret that he's always had "jumping boat" (see what I did there) for a better opportunity in mind. I just can't see the attractiveness for UCLA. I can see the Minny fanbase going "What the heck, PJ".
a guy like Tommy Reis who is young but has been around could be a viable candidate or David Shaw, I believe his kid is a QB there.

I have the feeling pj was just using Minn as a stepping stone up the coaching ladder rather than as a final destination. I’m shocked he has stayed as long as he has.

Reactions: Tommaker
Is UCLA really a stepping stone from Minny with respect to football
UCLA is a B10 team. :)

But I understand what you are saying, they are the "IU Football" of the former conference. Happy to see them join to give IU something to look forward to.

UCLA is a B10 team. :)

But I understand what you are saying, they are the "IU Football" of the former conference. Happy to see them join to give IU something to look forward to.
They wouldn’t have been added had they not been the handcuff with USC.

Not sure why any of these schools were added as they are just TV markets and not actual fan bases that travel

Looks like Fleck will still be rowing boats in Minneapolis.

DeShaun Foster was hired at UCLA. Interesting choice.

I have the feeling pj was just using Minn as a stepping stone up the coaching ladder rather than as a final destination. I’m shocked he has stayed as long as he has.
He seems like an OK coach to me, but I think he's risen to the highest level for him. I don't see a blue blood program going after him at this point.

My thoughts are that Fleck took the Minn job thinking it would be a stepping stone to something bigger. His loyalty when he took that job seemed only to himself. And if a bigger opportunity presented itself, he would be quick to jump and leave.

However, after his initial success, he hasn’t done much lately. And those bigger programs just aren’t interested in hiring the “boatman”. So the Fleck is sort of stuck at Minnesota.

Unlike some coaches who like a school and want to be there forever like Keady and Painter and Tiller, I’m not so sure Fleck really wants to be at Minnesota or really likes it there. However, he likes the money he is being paid, so he remains there.

As for UCLA football, most people would consider it an upgrade over coaching at Minnesota. It’s kind of the same for Minnesota basketball. Does any coach really want to coach Minnesota basketball? The same applies to Minnesota track and field. Nope, wouldn’t want to be a track coach there either. Minnesota is a really nice place to visit, but I wouldn’t want to coach there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT