ADVERTISEMENT

Per indystar sources, Tom Allen has been fired.

And the delusional fan base is asking for Urban Meyer.
Probably the same fans who still think Brad Stevens wants to coach at iu.

I predict iu hires a MAC coach nobody’s ever heard of, he goes 8-40 over the next 4 years, rinse and repeat.

Some Hoosier fans want Antwaan Randle El,but he is currently coaching the wide receivers for the Detroit Lions who will likely be playing into the January NFL playoffs.If he does take the IU job will they have a 2024 revruiting class?

Schools have to make decisions much faster with 12/20 early signing day. But with new coaches at MSU, NW, Neb, Wisc, and now IU the landscape has changed. I wonder if we would choose the same HC decision today knowing what we know now. I think not hiring an experienced HC was a mistake.

Reactions: Rodeopepper

I predict iu hires a MAC coach nobody’s ever heard of, he goes 8-40 over the next 4 years, rinse and repeat.
I told them hire Dino Babers

• Haha
Reactions: rgarlitz
Some Hoosier fans want Antwaan Randle El,but he is currently coaching the wide receivers for the Detroit Lions who will likely be playing into the January NFL playoffs.If he does take the IU job will they have a 2024 revruiting class?
Recruiting class lol! When has Indinia had any decent recruiting class?

Look what Purdue did. Shame on us!

Seriously, I bet Tom Allen is relieved......but has a big grin on his face. He will likely never have to work again with that type of buyout.

It will be interesting on who on the IU team will go into the transfer portal. There may be some good players to look at.
There’s non on defense as non of them could tackle anyone yesterday.

Look what Purdue did. Shame on us!

Seriously, I bet Tom Allen is relieved......but has a big grin on his face. He will likely never have to work again with that type of buyout.

It will be interesting on who on the IU team will go into the transfer portal. There may be some good players to look at.
Doesn't he have to seek other employment in order to keep receiving the buy-out? I mean, I'm sure there are ways to drag that out if he wants to stick it to Indiana. But I'm not sure he can ride off I to the sunset and still get $20 million.

I actually thought Tom Allen was a good coach his first several years at Indiana, a lot better than most of their post-Mallory hires. He got really weird over the last couple years--like he was trying to will something from his team with emotion that bordered on antics.

15a5c4f2-26a5-4d95-a7fc-5cd689155c7c_text.gif

Reactions: TMA62
Yesterday, I asked an IU fan sitting behind us if he thought Tom was gone (think he may have been a former player or student manager?) He said "no way, it's $20 million and a basketball school." The admin must have woken up to the reality of where college football is heading.

Reactions: indyogb

Forget Urban, I am sure Nick Saban would leave Alabama to come to IU (in their minds at least)

• Haha
Reactions: bonefish1
Doesn't he have to seek other employment in order to keep receiving the buy-out? I mean, I'm sure there are ways to drag that out if he wants to stick it to Indiana. But I'm not sure he can ride off I to the sunset and still get $20 million.
Correct. His salary at Bloomington North will offset what IU owes him, so the buyout will go down to $19.9 million.

I saw the buyout he received! I wish I was their coach so I could be fired and receive that type of money!
What amazes me is guys that typically get a huge buyout like that end up coaching somewhere else before the buyout is done, which usually lowers the total amount paid out. I guess they must love coaching. I don't love anything enough to lose $20M in exchange for "early retirement." If I were Tom Allen, I'd just relax for the next however many years and collect my $20M. :D

What amazes me is guys that typically get a huge buyout like that end up coaching somewhere else before the buyout is done, which usually lowers the total amount paid out. I guess they must love coaching. I don't love anything enough to lose $20M in exchange for "early retirement." If I were Tom Allen, I'd just relax for the next however many years and collect my $20M. :D
Don't think it works that way. Allen must actively seek employment to collect. His future earnings reduce the buy-out.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Don't think it works that way. Allen must actively seek employment to collect. His future earnings reduce the buy-out.
Does he need to prove that he has contacted NFL/College programs and to produce the 'ding' letters to prove to IU that he is looking? Just curious.

There may be a good job for him out there but when the prospective employer realizes the buyout amount, they will likely walk.

Does he need to prove that he has contacted NFL/College programs and to produce the 'ding' letters to prove to IU that he is looking? Just curious.

There may be a good job for him out there but when the prospective employer realizes the buyout amount, they will likely walk.
I don't think future employers have to match his IU salary. Instead, Indiana's obligation is reduced by the amount of his future earnings over the life of that IU contract. At least that's how Haze's worked, if I recall.

Don't know the specifics on how he demonstrates he's looking for work. I'm sure his contract includes qualifications.

Yesterday, I asked an IU fan sitting behind us if he thought Tom was gone (think he may have been a former player or student manager?) He said "no way, it's $20 million and a basketball school." The admin must have woken up to the reality of where college football is heading.
You must sit near me because the trio in front of me more or less said the same thing.

I don't think future employers have to match his IU salary. Instead, Indiana's obligation is reduced by the amount of his future earnings over the life of that IU contract. At least that's how Haze's worked, if I recall.

Don't know the specifics on how he demonstrates he's looking for work. I'm sure his contract includes qualifications.
That is how all of them are structured.

Reactions: TMA62

• Wow
Reactions: rgarlitz
If I were him, I’d. Apply for the Texas A&M job 100 times. Just wondering…. Does IU have any Assistant coaches worth hiring? Offensive line coach? Strength and conditioning coach? Special teams / kicking coach?

Reactions: Hausta01 and TMA62
Sounds like Allen's agent worked a good deal. He'll only get about 75% of the original buy-out, but it will come up front, in two installments, with no strings attached.

I'll tip my hat to him: he parlayed a couple good seasons into a lifetime of financial security--even after his agent and Uncle Sam take their (very substantial) cuts.

If I were him, I’d. Apply for the Texas A&M job 100 times. Just wondering…. Does IU have any Assistant coaches worth hiring? Offensive line coach? Strength and conditioning coach? Special teams / kicking coach?
he can go to N. Mexico St

You must sit near me because the trio in front of me more or less said the same thing.
Section 106? I could be the mindset of a lot of IU football fans, which would be understandable. I'm not going to say this may be the most critical hire they ever make with the football program, but with the way the wind is blowing and a lot of signs pointing to what the future of "Big Boy" college football is going to look like, it may be. And that's probably true for Purdue and other "also rans" as well.

Michigan State wants to bring in a former Big Ten Coach of the Year. Someone with NFL experience who is well known across the country My money is on Mel Tucker.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT