ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Mulcahy

With so many players coming and going in the portal, I almost missed this over the weekend. What the heck is going on at Rutgers?!? For all the talk about Purdue missing out on some big name transfers, at least we aren't dealing with team stability issues.

Paul Mulcahy hits the portal
He wants to play a 5th year elsewhere, he actually would be a decent fit at Purdue if he was fine playing 20
Minutes a night.

On paper he would be a perfect fit for this team. He's 6'6" and can play the point. I could see him starting at the three and sliding over to the 1 to give Smith a break. Between minutes at the 1, 2 and 3 he could easily get 30 minutes.

He's certainly better than Morton and if Hiede or Colvin are better than a fifth year Mulcahy, I'm penciling us in for a final four appearance.

• Love
Reactions: Boiler Buck
More so a whiner.
On paper he would be a perfect fit for this team. He's 6'6" and can play the point. I could see him starting at the three and sliding over to the 1 to give Smith a break. Between minutes at the 1, 2 and 3 he could easily get 30 minutes.

He's certainly better than Morton and if Hiede or Colvin are better than a fifth year Mulcahy, I'm penciling us in for a final four appearance.
Agreed, we know Painter won’t do this though, he’s loyal to Morton.

Many of you keep comparing other players to Braden Smith as he was as a freshman.
As though that was/is his ceiling and anyone better than he was as a freshman would still beat him out this season.
Silly fans are about 4 months from finding out just how much a freshman(men) can improve in 1 year.
At least 1 of the 2.
And I suspect both.
Time will tell.

He's the type of guy you love if he's on your team. If he's on the other team...not so much.
Eh he’s the type of guy that would be hard for me to watch even if it were my team or I loved his game. I had to stop watching so many Mavs games because whining Luka was awful to watch even though not whining Luka is really fun to watch.

I agree. The "whinner" personality is very often a sign of immaturity and overly ego-centricity. Neither characteristic would be welcomed on the team. This guy isn't getting offered, and isn't coming here.

:cool:
I think he goes irish, they need a Mulcahy after losing a Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: Schnelk
He's heading for candy stripes

Is he really? The Google machine didn't help me there. Just saw an article that was 12ish hours old and it had Nebraska as an up-and-comer in his recruitment.

Would be a pretty plug and play replacement of the guy they had last year - Sam Griesel?

I agree. The "whinner" personality is very often a sign of immaturity and overly ego-centricity. Neither characteristic would be welcomed on the team. This guy isn't getting offered, and isn't coming here.

:cool:
Check his social media, where he posted, "New Jersey Point Guard." Mulcahy didn't like that Pikiell was moving him off the ball to SF. Pikiell is changing his approach to an uptempo style. Add that Mulcahy saw what Cam Spencer received as a grad transfer and jumped at the opportunity. Mulcahy caught the Rutgers staff by surprise. Also, Mulcahy has been more open about his religion, and that is playing a small part in his decision.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Quick update:
Hearing Gonzaga and ND are the front-runners

Gonzaga was initially out because of distance, but that may not be the case now.

Also, hearing Mulcahy is having second thoughts about transferring, but Rutgers may have closed the door on his return. IMO, Pikiell doesn't seem like the type to be bitter, but who knows?

I don't know what's true anymore.

He’s a solid plug and play guy, ND makes a ton of sense, not so much with Gonzaga. He would have been a great fit at Purdue, however, Smith is the guy, no way Mulcahy is going to come to play second fiddle.

Mulcahy is a nice player, not real athletic and not a scorer by any means, thought that was what we don't want? Plus he wears leotards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT