ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Fitzgerald

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010
Can't possibly see him surviving this. As revered as he is there. If they were winning you might think differently.

Can't possibly see him surviving this. As revered as he is there. If they were winning you might think differently.
I guess I’ll take the other side. We live in a time where people get more than one chance to fail or make a mistake. He will survive this one unless he says he’s had enough.

I guess I’ll take the other side. We live in a time where people get more than one chance to fail or make a mistake. He will survive this one unless he says he’s had enough.
I don’t think Northwestern will take the hit of keeping him on with the sexual assault details as part of the “hazing “ coming to light. The Northwestern student paper investigation has revealed verified sordid details including sexual assault. It already appears the University was trying to minimize damage by the announcement of his suspension that doesn’t interfere with coaching duty because of the offseason but the exposure of details now makes them look bad.

Reactions: NVboiler
The ENTIRE team (their caps not mine) came out with a letter that basically said that the allegations are exaggerated, and that Fitz had nothing to do with it.

Then the school said they're going to reconsider the punishment. But are they reconsidering it because of the public perception that he should be fired? Or are they reconsidering it based on the statement by the team?

The ENTIRE team (their caps not mine) came out with a letter that basically said that the allegations are exaggerated, and that Fitz had nothing to do with it.

Then the school said they're going to reconsider the punishment. But are they reconsidering it because of the public perception that he should be fired? Or are they reconsidering it based on the statement by the team?
Reconsidering based on the details of the hazing actually coming out. Getting a way harsher punishment, likely fired.

Reactions: pboiler18
I would think so too, but it was strange timing.
The prevailing thought that I have heard is that NU suspended him "for show" to act like they are taking this seriously, and they did not think the details would come out. Now that the details are out, it became immediately obvious that this is hardly even a slap on the wrist relative to the allegations, and they are facing backlash for such a light punishment. Now they are trying to backpedal as quickly as possible so they do not look complicit in allowing this stuff to happen. Any way you slice it, this whole thing just screams "lack of institutional control" to me.

Except the kids aren’t the disenfranchised. They have players named Evan and drake. Somebody’s mommy and daddy has clout..
Northwestern needs to fire all the football coaches as they all knew what was going on or should have. Also, all players involved should be suspended from the University. They have broken laws protecting students from sexual harassment.

Harsh penalty for one person’s accusation, yes this is serious but one person may or may not have an agenda as tried to get a coach fired. Would definitely need more

Reactions: drewjin
Northwestern needs to fire all the football coaches as they all knew what was going on or should have. Also, all players involved should be suspended from the University. They have broken laws protecting students from sexual harassment.
Oh I agree .. but I’m just calling out why that will happen when it didn’t happen in Pennsylvania.. because of money and power

Oh I agree .. but I’m just calling out why that will happen when it didn’t happen in Pennsylvania.. because of money and power

This seems like it could be the death knell for NU. The B1G is getting bigger and competition for them in recruiting was already difficult with their academic standards. If the staff is fired who would want the challenge of a total rebuild.

Reactions: purduepat1969
This seems like it could be the death knell for NU. The B1G is getting bigger and competition for them in recruiting was already difficult with their academic standards. If the staff is fired who would want the challenge of a total rebuild.
Yep. The admin has already taken a step in the downgrading direction by building a new "multi-use" stadium with a lower seating capacity. This on top of it...if he goes, who do you get? Who CAN you get? Fitz was an is a "Northwestern Man", I can't think of another one out there like him.

Reactions: purduepat1969

I’m sure a bunch of 18-21 year olds think 7-8 guys holding someone down against their will isn’t a big deal. I’m sure they think whatever was done to those players isn’t that bad. Also, none of them know if the victims have histories of sexual assault. Can’t believe coaching staff knows nothing about this sort of thing in this day and age

Reactions: pboiler18
Undstand that there is more to come, but thus far really disappointing news for sure. Really liked Fitz.

As to who replaces him should it come to that, there are plenty of coaches out there more than happy to take $2-3mil a year.

Yep. The admin has already taken a step in the downgrading direction by building a new "multi-use" stadium with a lower seating capacity. This on top of it...if he goes, who do you get? Who CAN you get? Fitz was an is a "Northwestern Man", I can't think of another one out there like him.
Any big ten job is going to be attractive going forward

Looks like we all will find out soon who stays on the staff and who they can get as a Head Coach at this late date! Players COULD bolt since the HC has been fired!

I don’t think Northwestern will take the hit of keeping him on with the sexual assault details as part of the “hazing “ coming to light. The Northwestern student paper investigation has revealed verified sordid details including sexual assault. It already appears the University was trying to minimize damage by the announcement of his suspension that doesn’t interfere with coaching duty because of the offseason but the exposure of details now makes them look bad.
Not a NU fan, but their Medill newspaper has its own far more questionable research history, like helping let murderers out of prison that were, actually guilty in what was called the “Innocence Project”, while wrongfully framing police - some of the people they helped get out went on to kill again, and they framed an innocent man to get two other guilty men out of jail

If you are going to tell a complete story, then they should present the totality of the coaches work. 12 years they have been 1st or the 2nd in graduation rate at like 98% and African American players there are graduating at levels higher than African American students at the school. Ensuring nearly all your black students graduate to incredible non athletic opportunities is not the epitome of “racism”.

The claims he wanted the “wildcat way” and that is some sort of race scandal is ridiculous. Let’s face it, any college is hard and doing it at Northwestern probably much harder. Telling kids who may not have been exposed to the privilege they will see at northwestern (even most of the white players), that they will need to mature and they will be raising the bar for expected professional behavior at all times is the best advice and honesty these kids will get to succeed in an important 40 year decision. If you want to act Ike you are from the streets of Flint, go to Michigan State. If you want to act like you are on the floor of a Board room, study & play at NU.

If the issue is hazing, that’s different but don’t make false claims of a coach having a “my-way or-the-highway” attitude a race issue - funny how when Prime Time at Colorado gives the “don’t be ghetto speech” to his players that’s celebrated, but when Fitzgerald privately demands it and backs it up with years of graduation successes that takes some of these kids to unimagined doors being opened for a few years of hard work that it’s a race issue.

Not a NU fan, but their Medill newspaper has its own far more questionable research history, like helping let murderers out of prison that were, actually guilty in what was called the “Innocence Project”, while wrongfully framing police - some of the people they helped get out went on to kill again, and they framed an innocent man to get two other guilty men out of jail

If you are going to tell a complete story, then they should present the totality of the coaches work. 12 years they have been 1st or the 2nd in graduation rate at like 98% and African American players there are graduating at levels higher than African American students at the school. Ensuring nearly all your black students graduate to incredible non athletic opportunities is not the epitome of “racism”.

The claims he wanted the “wildcat way” and that is some sort of race scandal is ridiculous. Let’s face it, any college is hard and doing it at Northwestern probably much harder. Telling kids who may not have been exposed to the privilege they will see at northwestern (even most of the white players), that they will need to mature and they will be raising the bar for expected professional behavior at all times is the best advice and honesty these kids will get to succeed in an important 40 year decision. If you want to act Ike you are from the streets of Flint, go to Michigan State. If you want to act like you are on the floor of a Board room, study & play at NU.

If the issue is hazing, that’s different but don’t make false claims of a coach having a “my-way or-the-highway” attitude a race issue - funny how when Prime Time at Colorado gives the “don’t be ghetto speech” to his players that’s celebrated, but when Fitzgerald privately demands it and backs it up with years of graduation successes that takes some of these kids to unimagined doors being opened for a few years of hard work that it’s a race issue.

Apparently Carl Richardson was passed over and vowed he’d get fitz. That’s the story on nu rivals

Wow! I clicked the link.. wtf

Ouch. You'd hope they would have installed some checks in their system to maintain some journalistic integrity going forward from that. You'd hope.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT