ADVERTISEMENT

Painter will never get Purdue to the FF.

Kansas, UNC, Duke and Kentucky. UCLA and IU are pretenders. UConn probably belongs on the list as well.

Purdue can have those expectations. So can OSU, Michigan, Illinois and the many other schools that every independent source says are easier places to win than Purdue. I've not seen that work out well for most programs.
So, there's 4 true blue bloods? And your belief is that a coach at these programs has 4-6 years to get to the FF or win a NC or they're out?

Why is it easier for Purdue to win in conference than in the tournament?

So, there's 4 true blue bloods? And your belief is that a coach at these programs has 4-6 years to get to the FF or win a NC or they're out?

Why is it easier for Purdue to win in conference than in the tournament?
Did I miss something? When did I say that a coach at those schools has 4 to 6 years to get to a FF or they're out?

I'm not sure where you're trying to go with this but my original question was to ask for a list of schools that have fired a coach who has made the NCAAT more than 80% of the time and frequently wins conference championships. The OP had asserted that most other P5 programs would move on if a coach doesn't make a FF.

Last edited:
You apparently aren't very good at this trend thing, since you picked one data point and a meaningless one at that. I would say keep trying but I don't think you really tried this time, and you don't seem to understand the term.
I dont think he was trying to show a trend but rather demonstrate that neither did the guy he replied to. He's right.

100% wrong.
Do you really believe Painter is the best coach Purdue could ever get?
That depends on how you rate Painter. I believe we're a historically top 20 program with one of the best 10 coaches in the country. That coach is one final four away from being considered one of the top 5.

That depends on how you rate Painter. I believe we're a historically top 20 program with one of the best 10 coaches in the country. That coach is one final four away from being considered one of the top 5.
I think Painter would need to win the NC to be considered a top 5 coach. He's had terrible failures in March and that's where a program is judged nationally. Right now, Purdue's reputation is one of a team that chokes in the tourney, and that's the perception of the coach as well.

I believe Matt is top 20 coach in CBB, so don't believe we can do better. What do you want to get a Woodson?
Painter is a good regular season and conference coach. Just not a good tourney coach.

And yes, I do believe we can do better. Who? That depends on how big of check MBob can get.
No, I don't want Woodson, but I would like to see the next coach be from outside the Purdue family and coaching tree. Definitely not a Keady or Painter disciple.

This is just my opinion, I'm not speaking in absolutes. The way I think about it:

Blue Bloods (locked in forever - never to be changed or added to)
UCLA
Kentucky
UNC
Kansas
Indiana

Blue Bloods are "Blue Bloods" bc they had the most success in the early decades of CBBall. You can't become a Blue Blood w recent success only, or one coach only. If you didn't have old-school success, you can't be "Blue".

Next Tier
Duke (no notable success pre-K)
Louisville
UConn (no notable success pre-Calhoun)
Mich State

Reactions: northside100
I think Painter would need to win the NC to be considered a top 5 coach. He's had terrible failures in March and that's where a program is judged nationally. Right now, Purdue's reputation is one of a team that chokes in the tourney, and that's the perception of the coach as well.
That is the perception of fans and talking heads. The general perception with basketball people is that MP does more with less than just about anyone. I’m not saying Purdue shouldn’t care about the former but there’s a real differentiation to be made there.

Reactions: pboiler18
You apparently aren't very good at this trend thing, since you picked one data point and a meaningless one at that. I would say keep trying but I don't think you really tried this time, and you don't seem to understand the term.
Sarcasm son, it's sarcasm. I picked the most random trash data points to demonstrate anyone can call scrambled eggs a "trend".

He’s been here 18 years. He’s actually getting worse as a tourney coach.
Time to clean out the Keady/Painter era and make a change that will change the Purdue culture and perception.
Do you honestly believe Purdue has the resources and tradition to compete with the Florida Atlantics of the world?

That is the perception of fans and talking heads. The general perception with basketball people is that MP does more with less than just about anyone. I’m not saying Purdue shouldn’t care about the former but there’s a real differentiation to be made there.

I think the whole "doing more with less" thing is part of the culture that needs to be changed. Top recruits hear this and might think "I don't want to be known as 'less'".

I think the whole "doing more with less" thing is part of the culture that needs to be changed. Top recruits hear this and might think "I don't want to be known as 'less'".
I seriously doubt that top recruits are impacted by the 'do more with less view' but I think I understand what you're saying. Certainly recruits have not viewed Purdue as an 'A List' destination where you have a chance to play for a NC and will get a ton of exposure.

I think that's still true for the very top tier of recruits but Purdue has, IMO, become a much more viable (Brian at GBI would say 'sexier') option recently, probably starting with Biggie switching to Purdue from MSU, making a run at NPOY and then getting selected in the first round. Fans are not wrong to lament the lack of NCAAT performance's impact on program perception, but on the flip side I'm not sure many programs have had a better run of high profile players over the last eight years (Biggie, Carsen, Jaden, Zach) and the #1 ranking the past two seasons can't hurt.

Has to translate to NCAAT success but I've been very pleased with the 2020 through 2024 recruiting classes.

You want him to land better players. So do I, I’m sure he does too. Athletic guards and wings who aren’t skilled don’t do any good. Everyone wants skilled, athletic guards and wings. He’s starting to land more of them. Hope that becomes a trend.
"Athletic guards and wings who aren’t skilled don’t do any good"

Unless they play for a mid/low major and they play us in the NCAA's...........

Reactions: Smokestack91
"Athletic guards and wings who aren’t skilled don’t do any good"

Unless they play for a mid/low major and they play us in the NCAA's...........
Fair enough, but if your goal is to make it to a FF I have not seen that model work often.

I seriously doubt that top recruits are impacted by the 'do more with less view' but I think I understand what you're saying. Certainly recruits have not viewed Purdue as an 'A List' destination where you have a chance to play for a NC and will get a ton of exposure.

I think that's still true for the very top tier of recruits but Purdue has, IMO, become a much more viable (Brian at GBI would say 'sexier') option recently, probably starting with Biggie switching to Purdue from MSU, making a run at NPOY and then getting selected in the first round. Fans are not wrong to lament the lack of NCAAT performance's impact on program perception, but on the flip side I'm not sure many programs have had a better run of high profile players over the last eight years (Biggie, Carsen, Jaden, Zach) and the #1 ranking the past two seasons can't hurt.

Has to translate to NCAAT success but I've been very pleased with the 2020 through 2024 recruiting classes.
I agree with your post, but once your program is perceived as something, it can be hard to change that perception despite what the reality shows. I'm sure other coaches use this against Purdue in recruiting.

He’s been here 18 years. He’s actually getting worse as a tourney coach.
Time to clean out the Keady/Painter era and make a change that will change the Purdue culture and perception.
Amazing his players got wide open shots from three all his Shooters are very good shooters but you put the blame on Coach paint since obviously you're a better Coach tell me what he did wrong and with your hindsight done better

I agree with your post, but once your program is perceived as something, it can be hard to change that perception despite what the reality shows. I'm sure other coaches use this against Purdue in recruiting.
Yes, agree, very tough to change and I know that opposing coaches use Purdue's status or lack thereof against us. I also know that that argument is getting harder to make and fewer schools are positioned to make it when you have a lottery pick, a NPOY and two seasons with a #1 ranking. Really need NCAAT success to be able to kick down that door and put the narrative to rest.

Amazing his players got wide open shots from three all his Shooters are very good shooters but you put the blame on Coach paint since obviously you're a better Coach tell me what he did wrong and with your hindsight done better
when, in the history of sports, any sport, has the coach not received the blame or accolades for what happens on the court?

Obviously a coach doesn't miss the shot, throw the interception or walk a guy with bases loaded. But, wins and losses the the final measure of a coach. And when a guy hits a half court shot at the buzzer for a win, the coach still gets credit for the win even though it was a lucky shot.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Painter follows the rules. Puts him at a huge disadvantage. Anyone who doesn’t understand this is naive.
So FDU and St Petes cheat? SDSU and FAU cheat? Multiple Uconn coaches? Mark Few? Jay Wright? Beilein at UM? Stevens at Butler? Wisky made 2 FFs. Cheaters? All of them? Or are you just an excuse machine?

Reactions: BoilerDeac
So FDU and St Petes cheat? SDSU and FAU cheat? Multiple Uconn coaches? Mark Few? Jay Wright? Beilein at UM? Stevens at Butler? Wisky made 2 FFs. Cheaters? All of them? Or are you just an excuse machine?
This is a great post if your point is that it's much harder (though not impossible) to make a FF without cheating.

SDSU - yes
Multiple UConn coaches - yes
Mark Few - yes
Jay Wright - likely not
Beilein - would be the first UM coach not to cheat
Stevens - no
Wisky - probably not

Not sure that anyone is arguing that any team that pulled an upset in the NCAAT is cheating so that the FDU and St. Pete's comments seem to be just petty, throw away remarks by you.

Do we really believe Shrews is going to take the program to the next level? He's a CMP protege... Who was the last Keady coach to get to a final 4 with the players they recruited?
Yeah, I love this. They want to get out of the Keady/Painter tree, but they want a guy who was twice an assistant under Painter and admits to being a Painter protege. They don't know what they want.

Reactions: Schnelk
Never said any of them cheated.

Tho UConn did, multiple times, and even Jay got nailed once.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT