ADVERTISEMENT

Painter on 2018-19 Roster

I was a little worried when I read the link to be: Painter roster "hell take"

I trust Painter knows what he's doing, but sitting on 3 scholarships for next year leaves me a little nervous. I realize Grady might get one so technically it's only 2, but it's still really 3. He may get some decent minutes this year and help the team, but he's not the kind of player that typically warrants a scholarship at a program at Purdue's level. And I mean that in the nicest way possible, although I'm sure it sounds dickish anyway.

I trust Painter knows what he's doing, but sitting on 3 scholarships for next year leaves me a little nervous. I realize Grady might get one so technically it's only 2, but it's still really 3. He may get some decent minutes this year and help the team, but he's not the kind of player that typically warrants a scholarship at a program at Purdue's level. And I mean that in the nicest way possible, although I'm sure it sounds dickish anyway.
Yes you do, but I agree with ya. Lol

I'm not worried in the least bit. Painter knows the team, the needs of the team contrary to the 'experts' on this forum. And no not labeling you that, just stating how things normally go. Anyway I am sure there is more to all of this than we are aware of and there might be some late additions or something yet to come.

I think you give one to Grady because he's earned it IMO.

I trust Painter knows what he's doing, but sitting on 3 scholarships for next year leaves me a little nervous.
This is one time I'd really like to see CMP give the playing time to the younger players to let them develop, rather than bring in additional grad transfers.

Reactions: Schnelk
I'm not worried in the least bit. Painter knows the team, the needs of the team contrary to the 'experts' on this forum. And no not labeling you that, just stating how things normally go. Anyway I am sure there is more to all of this than we are aware of and there might be some late additions or something yet to come.

I agree. This is a good sign. As CMP roster & team-wise, must think he has a B1G competitor right now or he would look to add guys like he has done in the past.

But @ the same time given the open schollies, the team better materialize into a B1G competitive team or CMP would indeed deserve critics on leaving them open.

As CMP roster & team-wise, must think he has a B1G competitor right now or he would look to add guys like he has done in the past.
I took his one line to mean that things are still fluid and you never know what might popup so he has flexibility.

That's fair. And I agree with giving Grady one - right now - since the availability is clearly there, I just don't think it's particularly advantageous to have 3 scholarship openings out of 13, that's all. Part of that is Carsen being in a class of 1, so I understand how it happens.

Strategically, saving 1 on a semi-regular basis for players that open up, etc. makes sense. But this isn't the first time Matt's gone into a year with 10 scholarship players. And I totally realize you're not going to play 12 guys once the season starts, it just feels like you're working from a bit of disadvantageous position if your peers have, say, 12 scholarship players on average and you have 10. I mean, one injury comes along and it seems like it would present a challenge with filling two capable 5-man teams for a scrimmage during practice.

Again, I get the circumstances aren't easily corrected if you take a small class or have a couple unplanned transfers, so it kind of is what it is.

That's fair. And I agree with giving Grady one - right now - since the availability is clearly there, I just don't think it's particularly advantageous to have 3 scholarship openings out of 13, that's all. Part of that is Carsen being in a class of 1, so I understand how it happens.

Strategically, saving 1 on a semi-regular basis for players that open up, etc. makes sense. But this isn't the first time Matt's gone into a year with 10 scholarship players. And I totally realize you're not going to play 12 guys once the season starts, it just feels like you're working from a bit of disadvantageous position if your peers have, say, 12 scholarship players on average and you have 10. I mean, one injury comes along and it seems like it would present a challenge with filling two capable 5-man teams for a scrimmage during practice.

Again, I get the circumstances aren't easily corrected if you take a small class or have a couple unplanned transfers, so it kind of is what it is.
Cline is also in a class of one (at this point). Have to bank at least two scholarships this year in order to even out the classes.

I took his one line to mean that things are still fluid and you never know what might popup so he has flexibility.

Of course he has always shown to be flexible (on adding guys at least)- (see late addition of Jon Octeus).....but he must really like the roster he has a lot to leave the schollies open and seems not to be really looking to hard? Or at least we do not hear about it on KHC.........so I have to conclude, he loves his current guys, and sees them now as a B1G contender.

This is one time I'd really like to see CMP give the playing time to the younger players to let them develop, rather than bring in additional grad transfers.

I agree as I think Hunter and Eastern will have to work through some things to be great in March, but I also wouldn't mind a Jon Octeus or Sterling Carter type player if they were out there.

I get what you're saying but I would rather him bank the schollys if he can't get commitments from B1G caliber recruits. Hopefully he has better results with those schollys in 2019.

Reactions: Schnelk
13 scholarships. Typical team goes 8-9 deep so 4-5 scholarships go to players who provide very little contribution to the team in a given year.

I'm no expert but don't you have to leave some scholarships open for TJD and KB in case they want to commit and play with IT.

I'm no expert but don't you have to leave some scholarships open for TJD and KB in case they want to commit and play with IT.

I don’t get this fuss over Eifert getting a scholarship this year. The basketball scholarships are given on a yearly basis. Painter can take it away any year he wants; he just does it as professionally as possible. We have a few open scholarships and Eifert is getting one this year. If we get a lot of good recruits, he won’t get it next year. It’s simple as that.

I don’t get this fuss over Eifert getting a scholarship this year. The basketball scholarships are given on a yearly basis. Painter can take it away any year he wants; he just does it as professionally as possible. We have a few open scholarships and Eifert is getting one this year. If we get a lot of good recruits, he won’t get it next year. It’s simple as that.

Zero percent chance Eifert isn't on scholarship next year. And zero chance a scholarship will be revoked once it's been given - that alone is a PR nightmare these days.

I don't think anyone is really sweating him getting a scholarship for 18/19. I only brought him up in my earlier post because I knew if I mentioned 3 openings and just left it at that, someone would have commented on him likely getting one. My post wasn't about him getting one, but rather 3 out of 13 being open.

Zero percent chance Eifert isn't on scholarship next year. And zero chance a scholarship will be revoked once it's been given - that alone is a PR nightmare these days.
Pretty sure Painter has given a walkon an scholarship for one season in the past, with the understanding that it was just a one year deal, but don’t remember off the top of my head who it was. Maybe Anthrop or Bobby Buckets?

Reactions: PUQBMan.
Pretty sure Painter has given a walkon an scholarship for one season in the past, with the understanding that it was just a one year deal, but don’t remember off the top of my head who it was. Maybe Anthrop or Bobby Buckets?
There’s no reason to have an open scholarship for a year, so I can see that. Although I was thinking it was typically for a Senior Walkon.

Somewhat, yes.

Anthrop one got one because someone quit the team late - and there were already commitments in place for the following year. So when the scholarship was given, it was given under the pretenses that after the year, it was already accounted for. The only possibility was for it to be a one year scholarship. It's not accounted for right now in this situation, right? I think that's a bit different.

Secondly, that was back in like 2010 or 2011? Times have changed with all of this "taking advantage of kids" mentality that people have with the NCAA. The mere story can be twisted to present it in a negative light. If we already had the future scholarships accounted for, then it's a somewhat different situation.

First, scholarships are given on a yearly basis. It can be given this year and not given next year. It always has been up to the coaches’ discretion.

Second, with all the Creanings happening around the league, I can hardly see why that would be any worse that those for PR.

Third, Anthrop situation was not so different, at least PR-wise. It was only given temporarily and only because a spot opened up. Scholarships did not accumulate then and they still do not. One will be gone whether it is given to Eifert or not. No one really complained then and none will now either, nor will any put a negative light on it, not especially with all the corruption and sexual misconduct scandals going around the league.

Fourth, Eifert is a SENIOR. He can only stay for another year and will be gone before 2019. This was never an issue. Case closed.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
First, scholarships are given on a yearly basis. It can be given this year and not given next year. It always has been up to the coaches’ discretion.

Second, with all the Creanings happening around the league, I can hardly see why that would be any worse that those for PR.

Third, Anthrop situation was not so different, at least PR-wise. It was only given temporarily and only because a spot opened up. Scholarships did not accumulate then and they still do not. One will be gone whether it is given to Eifert or not. No one really complained then and none will now either, especially with all the corruption and sexual misconduct scandals going around the league.

Fourth, Eifert is a SENIOR. He can only stay for another year and will be gone before 2019. This was never an issue. Case closed.

I don't think you can say it is the same when a scholarship is already accounted for vs. an open ended opportunity. And would it become an issue? Probably not. But it sure as hell could. There's a lot of support for committing scholarships out there.....look at how much news the Duke parent got for saying the NCAA was horrible for a rule that is the NBA's. Yet people made it a criticism of the NCAA.

But like you said, it's a complete hypothetical as Eifert won't be here longer than this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT