ADVERTISEMENT

Outstanding atmosphere yesterday

DAG10

All-American
Nov 2, 2018
Aside of the field/turf issues, Wrigley/Cubs and NW collectively did a fantastic job.

It was a super cool experience and made for a really fun day.

A very memorable and thoroughly enjoyable experience...more so admittedly in that Purdue won.

Aside of the field/turf issues, Wrigley/Cubs and NW collectively did a fantastic job.

A very memorable and thoroughly enjoyable experience...more so admittedly in that Purdue won.
looked like a lot of empty seats on tv, thought it was a sellout? Did the brokers overbuy seats?

I am glad it was a great experience for those who were there,but I also hope that Purdue never plays in a baseball stadium again.
I get that...and, it is not ideal by any means...that said, as a lifelong Cubs fan...the chance to watch a football game at Wrigley, with Purdue playing in it, was really cool in my mind, and, I was not disappointed at all about how the experience played out.

looked like a lot of empty seats on tv, thought it was a sellout? Did the brokers overbuy seats?
I can only speak to the lower bowl in that it was where I was and I could not see the upper bowl well...the upper bowl looked to be more full before kickoff, but, it was crazy how fast the lower bowl filled in at kickoff.

Bleacher seats were not full...

Being there, it seemed like a good crowd certainly, but, I don't know the actual numbers admittedly.

It was a great atmosphere though in/around Wrigley...before/during/after...all made better by Purdue winning.

Had a great time with son and friend, great game and Lou Malnati’s for a tasty finish. Son easily convinced me to have the deep dish.
A good day.

Does anyone have any good pics of the whole scene? Was one of the end zones short (as they supposedly used to do for the Bears games in Wrigley)?

Does anyone have any good pics of the whole scene? Was one of the end zones short (as they supposedly used to do for the Bears games in Wrigley)?
I think they fixed that short end when they put the dugouts under the home seats on that side of the ball park.

Reactions: DAG10 and indyogb
I think they fixed that short end when they put the dugouts under the home seats on that side of the ball park.
Confirmed, fixed it by burying the 3rd baseline dugout in the reconfiguration so that offense can go both ways. Went down to the field level 40 minutes before the game. The ushers were quite friendly and even asked if we wanted pics taken and we took them up on that. Went to both end zone areas and both were helpful and would chat with us. BTW, one of those ushers was a Purdue grad retired that lived within the area and loved his part time job. Both stated they loved their part time jobs and both have done it for years. Hint hint...may have to find a future part time job near Am Fam field (former Miller Park). ;)

Reactions: DAG10 and Tommaker
Agree, I was worried the entire game that we were going to have some ankle and knee injuries from that horrible turf. We should avoid baseball fields in the future.
Not much different that Purdue's bermuda grass in November. Will agree that there wasn't enough time for the turf to take root causing the slippage. Wonder how our field will hold up next Saturday.
I remember about decade ago a major issue with our field coming up in large chunks. I wondered what was done to rectify it (i.e. stadium turf grow lighting)? I know the field had underground water lines to keep the field from freezing, sand down below dirt as drainage, etc.

Reactions: pboiler18 and DAG10
It’s gotta be a really cool experience for our guys to play there… and the Turf issues are addressable…but the location of the walls isn’t…and I don’t see how you ever sanction a game played in that arrangement given the obvious player safety concerns.

Box score says 31,500 attendance. Wrigley capacity is ~41,600 per the internet, it would have to be a little lower than that for football given the reconfigured dugout area.

Tickets for this game were relatively expensive. We paid $100 for lower endzone [on 3B line] and $125 for left field bleachers. The bleachers were the much better view (sideline). Grandstand sideline seats had face values of ~$200. That's going to keep casual fans away, and with NU struggling not surprising you saw some empty seats.

Reactions: DAG10
Box score says 31,500 attendance. Wrigley capacity is ~41,600 per the internet, it would have to be a little lower than that for football given the reconfigured dugout area.

Tickets for this game were relatively expensive. We paid $100 for lower endzone [on 3B line] and $125 for left field bleachers. The bleachers were the much better view (sideline). Grandstand sideline seats had face values of ~$200. That's going to keep casual fans away, and with NU struggling not surprising you saw some empty seats.
I saw $51 tickets advertised day of. I thought I read the total capacity now counts rooftops as well? I know that used to count SRO, too (and I've bought some of those before). Season ticket fans were offered a chance to buy for the game, I wonder if some did, tried to sell and didn't sell/show?

No end zone issues per se, although I believe at least one end zone (if not both) was 9.5 yards rather than 10.

The setup was that the field ran from right field to 3rd base...both teams shared one sideline, which was a little odd, but, made for much better site lines for those in the lower bowl on the 1st Base/RF side.

NW had access to the Cubs dressing room and entered from CF...Purdue entered from the visiting dugout.

Would I want that to be where Purdue played every week...no...but, for a almost once in a lifetime experience, it was cool...and, like I said, definitely memorable.

Reactions: WMichBoiler
No end zone issues per se, although I believe at least one end zone (if not both) was 9.5 yards rather than 10.

The setup was that the field ran from right field to 3rd base...both teams shared one sideline, which was a little odd, but, made for much better site lines for those in the lower bowl on the 1st Base/RF side.

NW had access to the Cubs dressing room and entered from CF...Purdue entered from the visiting dugout.

Would I want that to be where Purdue played every week...no...but, for a almost once in a lifetime experience, it was cool...and, like I said, definitely memorable.

Reactions: delarno
Not much different that Purdue's bermuda grass in November. Will agree that there wasn't enough time for the turf to take root causing the slippage. Wonder how our field will hold up next Saturday.
I remember about decade ago a major issue with our field coming up in large chunks. I wondered what was done to rectify it (i.e. stadium turf grow lighting)? I know the field had underground water lines to keep the field from freezing, sand down below dirt as drainage, etc.
The turf on the infield dirt was particularly dangerous.

I like Wrigley, but I am glad we got out of there without a blown acl or two...

I can only speak to the lower bowl in that it was where I was and I could not see the upper bowl well...the upper bowl looked to be more full before kickoff, but, it was crazy how fast the lower bowl filled in at kickoff.

Bleacher seats were not full...

Being there, it seemed like a good crowd certainly, but, I don't know the actual numbers admittedly.

It was a great atmosphere though in/around Wrigley...before/during/after...all made better by Purdue winning.
As others have said, totally enjoyed the before, during, and after at Wrigley/Wrigleyville. Milton scored 3 TDs, equalling the 3 I saw Gale Sayers score in the 60s. My first cub game that I remember was in 1961. Have averaged about 6 games a year since then.
My seats were in the endzone upper deck, which by the way were much closer to the action than similar seats at Rose Bowl, Big House, and Penn State. Ushers were encouraging fans to move to open seats so after the 1st quarter we moved to upper deck 40 yard line. Great view.

The turf on the infield dirt was particularly dangerous.

I like Wrigley, but I am glad we got out of there without a blown acl or two...
You're correct. At half time, ~40-50 people were out on the field literally placing the divets back to their positions, stepping on it and appeared in some cases to be putting dirt or sand down 1st before bigger divets were repaired.

The field took a beating and lucky no knees were blown out.

You're correct. At half time, ~40-50 people were out on the field literally placing the divets back to their positions, stepping on it and appeared in some cases to be putting dirt or sand down 1st before bigger divets were repaired.

The field took a beating and lucky no knees were blown out.
I sometimes wonder if Purdue would be better off with artificial turf at RA, as the grass gets worse as the season goes on.

Some of that late-season problem could be reduced by playing the bucket game at Lucas Oil. That would be a twofer because it would reduce the problem of our late-season grass and also protect Boiler fans from goose crap at IU (Leo fans are used to it and don't even notice it, accepting it as part of their natural environment.)

Not to mention, most of the students are gone on Thanksgiving weekend - and many are in Indy, along with many alums.

The high schools could move their championships up a week or else play at Ball State, iu, and other artificial turf stadiums on Thanksgiving weekend.

Had a great time with son and friend, great game and Lou Malnati’s for a tasty finish. Son easily convinced me to have the deep dish.
A good day.
What did you end up doing for parking MBF? I did completely the opposite of what I was planning because one of my friends didn't want to walk a mile. We ended up in an alley a block away for way more than I wanted to spend but I didn't spend a dime.

I sometimes wonder if Purdue would be better off with artificial turf at RA, as the grass gets worse as the season goes on.

Some of that late-season problem could be reduced by playing the bucket game at Lucas Oil. That would be a twofer because it would reduce the problem of our late-season grass and also protect Boiler fans from goose crap at IU (Leo fans are used to it and don't even notice it, accepting it as part of their natural environment.)

Not to mention, most of the students are gone on Thanksgiving weekend - and many are in Indy, along with many alums.

The high schools could move their championships up a week or else play at Ball State, iu, and other artificial turf stadiums on Thanksgiving weekend.
I hope the Bucket game never moves to Indy.The High Schools shouldnt have to move their Championship Games and attendance at Ross Ade has been good for the IU game since Brohm arrived.I wouldnt insult the High Schools by asking them to move to Bloomington or Ball State.

I hope the Bucket game never moves to Indy.The High Schools shouldnt have to move their Championship Games and attendance at Ross Ade has been good for the IU game since Brohm arrived.I wouldnt insult the High Schools by asking them to move to Bloomington or Ball State.
I felt like that in the past when the game was always the weekend before Thanksgiving, but not now that students are gone. Also, it is unjust that any Purdue fans should have to sit in a low-class, goose-crap infested stadium every other year.

Playing at Ball State is a step up from HS fields, some of which are pretty bad. And, maybe some of the games could be played in Lucas Oil on the Friday after TG.

Keep in mind also that it would remove the chance for rain during the bucket game, which is to our benefit.

Curious where you saw the end zones were 9.5? I agree with most of your assessment. I was in the Purdue section, basically right behind the goal post. Great seats for a baseball game, but we were effectively too low to see much of anything on the opposite side of the field. And most of the action was on that side of course, including all 3 touchdowns.

Interestingly, you pointed out that NW entered from center field. Their initial entrance to the field for pregame warm-ups was out of the stands right behind the goalpost. We had just walked in, a little early, and were just checking out the scene and suddenly the NW team was coming through the seating aisle one over from where we were standing. Maybe that was just a special way for them to come through their family section, I don't know.

It's certainly not ideal for a football game from several aspects, but it was definitely entertaining and a new, fun experience.

I get your points but I dont know if attendance would be very good at Lucas Oil.I think when Purdue played ND in Indy in 2014 there were about 10,000 empty seats.I am just skeptical about a lot of people buying tickets for a Bucket clash in Indianapolis on Thanksgiving weekend.

And yeah, the field was in horrible shape. I was very worried there was going to be a bad injury.

But ironically, I sort of called the onside kick. I realized it was a different kicker out there, and called out "this might be an onside kick!" a la Sean Payton in the Super Bowl. And then that happened. Pretty funny.

As for attendance, if no one else said it, it was 31k. Clearly not anywhere near full, which I think is 42k these days. The left field bleachers were half empty, and the upper deck that I could see (1st base line) was very scattered.

Curious where you saw the end zones were 9.5? I agree with most of your assessment. I was in the Purdue section, basically right behind the goal post. Great seats for a baseball game, but we were effectively too low to see much of anything on the opposite side of the field. And most of the action was on that side of course, including all 3 touchdowns.

Interestingly, you pointed out that NW entered from center field. Their initial entrance to the field for pregame warm-ups was out of the stands right behind the goalpost. We had just walked in, a little early, and were just checking out the scene and suddenly the NW team was coming through the seating aisle one over from where we were standing. Maybe that was just a special way for them to come through their family section, I don't know.

It's certainly not ideal for a football game from several aspects, but it was definitely entertaining and a new, fun experience.
I was talking to one of the ushers at the game on Saturday when the end zone thing came up...so, I cannot in any way state it as fact...I was just going on what he said.

I sat essentially behind home plate, so, to your point, I had the same issue at times as far as play at the other end...from that standpoint, sitting up top might have provided a better view. I had no idea what to really expect...my primary concern when I bought tickets was being under a roof in the event of rain/snow (more so for my wife).

NW exited the way that you are referencing they came in, and, it largely was a family section as you alluded to...the Cubs dugout being right there, it makes some sense that they may have entered there...the clubhouse is actually somewhere between what is 3rd base and the LF wall, as players exit right at the LF wall post game...so it makes sense that NW may have just walked in from there...I was referencing their entrance for the game that was out of left-center opening in the outfield.

Yes, not ideal for football...but, I was super excited about going and had a really good time and glad that I was able to be there for a special and memorable experience.

Reactions: delarno
What if scheduling could put the Colts out of town or in a late home game on that Sunday night? Then the OOB could be Sunday afternoon.
Or, play the bucket on Sunday night?

And yeah, the field was in horrible shape. I was very worried there was going to be a bad injury.

But ironically, I sort of called the onside kick. I realized it was a different kicker out there, and called out "this might be an onside kick!" a la Sean Payton in the Super Bowl. And then that happened. Pretty funny.
Greatest non-onside kick of all time...

I would have loved them trying one, but, not very practical certainly...it was perfect how it played out though despite it not being intentional, and, it definitely provided momentum for Purdue and sapped it from NW to begin the half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT