ADVERTISEMENT

Our little brothers down south

I’d rather last years schedule and record vs getting 6 wins with IUs schedule. Just look at their stadium it was empty. No positive buzz there.
You summarized my point perfectly! Generating revenue from a mind set like that will be difficult. Meanwhile, our stadium was full or nearly full and will be again this weekend.

I guess if anything it shows where each program is at, they are content with getting to a toilet bowl.. meanwhile we are wanting the playoffs and to be dominant not only in basketball, but also football.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
It makes zero sense to an indinia fan because... well.. indinia.... but if all you care about is lining up weak opponents just to get to a bowl game, then moving down to division 3 gets you that every year.

It's mind boggling how much energy you are spending trying to defend such a weak schedule.
Yea when you're arguably the worst college football program of all time, getting to 6 by any means necessary, is the best call. If the culture changes, talent changes etc, adjust accordingly. But the goal is 6 wins. Not having a high SOS. Indiana has dealt with getting screwed on SOS for years now being in the same division of OSU, UM, PSU and MSU. This is a schedule that makes sense for Indiana now.

Yea when you're arguably the worst college football program of all time, getting to 6 by any means necessary, is the best call. If the culture changes, talent changes etc, adjust accordingly. But the goal is 6 wins. Not having a high SOS. Indiana has dealt with getting screwed on SOS for years now being in the same division of OSU, UM, PSU and MSU. This is a schedule that makes sense for Indiana now.
That is a whole lot of self-convincing you're doing here.

Reactions: POTFHBTFU
The worst teams in a conference/division argue this because they can’t play themselves! Regardless purdues sos was 17 and indianas 34 last year.

Reactions: BBG
The worst teams in a conference/division argue this because they can’t play themselves! Regardless purdues sos was 17 and indianas 34 last year.
Yea you guys actually had to play Ohio State and Michigan last year. Purdue won 4 games last year. Replace Fresno State and Cuse with crap teams and guess what? You go 6-6 and go bowling.

You summarized my point perfectly! Generating revenue from a mind set like that will be difficult. Meanwhile, our stadium was full or nearly full and will be again this weekend.

I guess if anything it shows where each program is at, they are content with getting to a toilet bowl.. meanwhile we are wanting the playoffs and to be dominant not only in basketball, but also football.
So there is more positive buzz for a 4-8 program with a tough schedule than a 7-6 program with an easy schedule? How so?

Yea you guys actually had to play Ohio State and Michigan last year. Purdue won 4 games last year. Replace Fresno State and Cuse with crap teams and guess what? You go 6-6 and go bowling.
Or beat northwestern. Or any of the other teams on the schedule….

It’s not that easy hindsight is great and all but we should have beat both those teams. I my hindsight last year would be that I wish we didn’t have some yawners just to get to play in the murder City bowl with all our starters leaving.

I used to believe in bowl games because it was fun and you had an extended practice for the next year but the seniors don’t play, your stars sit, and there is so little continuity from team to team.

Or beat northwestern. Or any of the other teams on the schedule….
But Purdue had no choice in having NW on the schedule. Replace Fresno State and Syracuse with Indiana State and Bowling Green and you go 6-6. No one cares how you got to 6-6. It's always going to look better than 4-8. Because at 6-6, you got a shot at 7-6. And even 6-7 looks better than 4-8.

People talk about changing schedules so much as if it's like changing your mind on stopping for Taco Bell or McDonald's for lunch.

But Purdue had no choice in having NW on the schedule. Replace Fresno State and Syracuse with Indiana State and Bowling Green and you go 6-6. No one cares how you got to 6-6. It's always going to look better than 4-8. Because at 6-6, you got a shot at 7-6. And even 6-7 looks better than 4-8.
You are spending WAY too much energy trying to justify indinia's schedule. No one here is going to give you the acceptance you are looking for.

You are spending WAY too much energy trying to justify indinia's schedule. No one here is going to give you the acceptance you are looking for.
FWIW , you are spending way too much energy discrediting 6 wins.

• Haha
I don't know how else to say 6 is greater than 4.
We said to schedule a long time ago there’s no way for us to know that Fresno State would’ve been better than Ball State. Syracuse was a home at home and I’m guessing you’re saying we should do to home games against cupcakes instead of the series against Syracuse. I disagree with you. I think our fans don’t look at last year‘s Minnesota team and say we wish we had them. We beat them by 19 but yes, they still got the six wins and go to the motor city bowl. There are many games on our schedule we could’ve won. that’s what we look at we don’t look at shoot we should’ve scheduled easier teams.

We said to schedule a long time ago there’s no way for us to know that Fresno State would’ve been better than Ball State. Syracuse was a home at home and I’m guessing you’re saying we should do to home games against cupcakes instead of the series against Syracuse. I disagree with you. I think our fans don’t look at last year‘s Minnesota team and say we wish we had them. We beat them by 19 but yes, they still got the six wins and go to the motor city bowl. There are many games on our schedule we could’ve won. that’s what we look at we don’t look at shoot we should’ve scheduled easier teams.
Well... Motor City Bowl > Sitting at home with 4 wins. But Minnesota only went to a bowl game because there weren't enough bowl teams. So Minnesota went to a bowl at 5-7. Purdue schedules Indiana State instead of Fresno State or Syracuse and maybe they go to a bowl at 5-7.

Reactions: BoilerN
Fresno is almost always better than ball state and we should absolutely be playing ball state over a home and home with Syracuse, unc, wake forest, etc. it’s why there are rumors Purdue might get out of the unc and wake forest games.

I look at 4-8 and think man, Purdue was close, but a game in December would have been fun and 15 extra practices would have been beneficial. Not to mention recruits want to play for teams that win and it is easier to gain recruiting momentum by winning as opposed to saying “we almost won”

Well... Motor City Bowl > Sitting at home with 4 wins. But Minnesota only went to a bowl game because there weren't enough bowl teams. So Minnesota went to a bowl at 5-7. Purdue schedules Indiana State instead of Fresno State or Syracuse and maybe they go to a bowl at 5-7.
No it goes by APR or whatever it is and we were not high enough on the list where we could have gotten in with 5 wins.

I know it goes by APR. I just figured Purdue would be higher than Minnesota.
Typically a lot of player turnover (like when there is a coaching change!) is an APR killer. I’m the past we have been strong there but not this past year.

I think there are a minority here who agree with your position. Maybe younger fans who were not spoiled by the tiller years. Of the 28 years since tiller came we went 16 times. It’s not that big of a deal.

Typically a lot of player turnover (like when there is a coaching change!) is an APR killer. I’m the past we have been strong there but not this past year.

I think there are a minority here who agree with your position. Maybe younger fans who were not spoiled by the tiller years. Of the 28 years since tiller came we went 16 times. It’s not that big of a deal.
Well it really makes zero sense to be happier with 4 wins than 6 wins just because you lost to better teams. Bowl games really don't care about SOS in the lower tiers. Perception doesn't care about SOS in Purdues or Indiana tier. Even Ohio State said they don't care about their OOC SOS. They are playing Akron, Western Michigan and Marshall. No one cares as long as you win.

Well it really makes zero sense to be happier with 4 wins than 6 wins just because you lost to better teams. Bowl games really don't care about SOS in the lower tiers. Perception doesn't care about SOS in Purdues or Indiana tier. Even Ohio State said they don't care about their OOC SOS. They are playing Akron, Western Michigan and Marshall. No one cares as long as you win.
Again in 13 years we sacrificed two crappy bowl games for 13 years of better schedules. Of course 6 is better than 4 but I’d swap those two crappy bowl games out for 20-25 respectable non-conf games for sure and if you pitched it like that you’d probably get close to unanimous support except for wole who is hard headed, a closer Purdue hater, and a contrarian.

Again in 13 years we sacrificed two crappy bowl games for 13 years of better schedules. Of course 6 is better than 4 but I’d swap those two crappy bowl games out for 20-25 respectable non-conf games for sure and if you pitched it like that you’d probably get close to unanimous support except for wole who is hard headed, a closer Purdue hater, and a contrarian.
Who would swap out bowl games for 4 wins?

Who would swap out bowl games for 4 wins?
I would swap out 2 crappy bowl games over a 13 year period for a better schedule.

And it looks like other agree with your poll on another thread. One of the guys who agrees with you has zero posts here and the other is the laughingstock of this board for his delusional takes and is a Purdue hater.

I would swap out 2 crappy bowl games over a 13 year period for a better schedule.

And it looks like other agree with your poll on another thread. One of the guys who agrees with you has zero posts here and the other is the laughingstock of this board for his delusional takes and is a Purdue hater.
Which am I? Because I’d rather play 13 games than 12 with a tougher schedule.

Reactions: POTFHBTFU

Past 11 years(post Hope era) Purdue has went to 4 bowl games(all during Brohms time obviously).

2018 won 4 games. Played at Nevada, Vandy and TCU. Only beat Candy.

2023 won 4 games. Played Fresno State, at VT and Cuse. so would you take 6 bowl games over 4?

Let's condense it down further. Simply because Hazell really really extra extra sucked. He couldn't even beat Indiana and got 50+ put on him twice in 4 games.

So 4 Bowl games in the last 7 years... Maybe a weaker non-conference schedule in 2018 and 2023 and you have 6 bowl games in 7 years, with the only missed year being the COVID year. Maybe with that you're able to keep Brohm?

Past 11 years(post Hope era) Purdue has went to 4 bowl games(all during Brohms time obviously).

2018 won 4 games. Played at Nevada, Vandy and TCU. Only beat Candy.

2023 won 4 games. Played Fresno State, at VT and Cuse. so would you take 6 bowl games over 4?

Let's condense it down further. Simply because Hazell really really extra extra sucked. He couldn't even beat Indiana and got 50+ put on him twice in 4 games.

So 4 Bowl games in the last 7 years... Maybe a weaker non-conference schedule in 2018 and 2023 and you have 6 bowl games in 7 years, with the only missed year being the COVID year. Maybe with that you're able to keep Brohm?
You don’t know what you are talking about. That wouldn’t keep brohm in fact maybe he leaves the first time. He was always going home, heck his wife and daughter were living in Louisville. And he wasn’t here in 2023. You’re also cherry picking stats. You are not going to change my mind.

You don’t know what you are talking about. That wouldn’t keep brohm in fact maybe he leaves the first time. He was always going home, heck his wife and daughter were living in Louisville. And he wasn’t here in 2023. You’re also cherry picking stats. You are not going to change my mind.
Brohm would have went in 5 of 6 years. I don't think Brohm was staying no matter what, but ya never know. Two extra bowl games would have been way better for Purdue than 4 wins. Especially to begin Walters era.

• Haha
I’d say scheduling will be different in the near future. Probably won’t see as many OOC like the last few years. The power 3 in conference schedules will be tough enough. I bet PU will schedule accordingly if I had to bet on it. Why struggle with games at Oregon St or any west coast team when you could count on 2 trips west every year anyway. It doesn’t make sense. Hell even going south. The B1G will take care of the schedule for you.

Reactions: Chicaco1908
I’d say scheduling will be different in the near future. Probably won’t see as many OOC like the last few years. The power 3 in conference schedules will be tough enough. I bet PU will schedule accordingly if I had to bet on it. Why struggle with games at Oregon St or any west coast team when you could count on 2 trips west every year anyway. It doesn’t make sense. Hell even going south. The B1G will take care of the schedule for you.
I’m fine with one FCS, one lower team and one MAC or p5 team like ND. Get two non con wins every year.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT