ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Purdue University Global

I once heard about this university, and what is your opinion about it now?
Are you interested?

With all of the on-line education that has occurred in the past year from the nation's top universities, on-line education doesn't seem so outlandish. For many majors it makes perfect sense.

Reactions: Purdue85
Are you interested?

With all of the on-line education that has occurred in the past year from the nation's top universities, on-line education doesn't seem so outlandish. For many majors it makes perfect sense.

I was interested in this precisely because online education began to develop rapidly and therefore I want to get something useful for myself.

Purdue bought an online university - Kaplan. It's the equivalent of University of Phoenix.

They are outsourcing Purdue's name, but does not utilize the same academic standards as Purdue University. So they're getting a degree that says "Purdue", with the standards of any other online university. They are two separate entities though. They are not applying to Purdue, or graduating from Purdue.

I don't know how you can in any way say it does anything but cheapens your degree.

P.S. They'll still call themselves Purdue grads. The Purdue Alumni Association now includes all Kaplan University alums that were enrolled prior to it becoming "Purdue Global". And Purdue Global alums will also be a part of it - even though they are not applying to Purdue, or actually graduating from Purdue.

Well, I must say, unfortunately, that Purdue by itself does not make someone smarter or a better worker. Among all the people my company has hired in the past 10 years, I've been the most disappointed in how the Purdue CS grads have turned out. Not only did their depth of understanding seem to be lacking, especially compare to Illinois or Wisconsin, but they were also very lazy. Now, it could be that because my company is too cheap and therefore we don't attract the top talent, but they did have a Purdue degree and did not meet the expectations.

Purdue Global is bad. Under Mitch, the school acquired a low quality for-profit school (Kaplan) just to fold in its shoddy revenue streams and for what benefit? It 100% cheapens Purdue's image, at least from nearly everyone I've talked to about it.

There's a reason schools shouldn't be run "like a business"

Reactions: NC_Boiler
Purdue Global is bad. Under Mitch, the school acquired a low quality for-profit school (Kaplan) just to fold in its shoddy revenue streams and for what benefit? It 100% cheapens Purdue's image, at least from nearly everyone I've talked to about it.

I'm curious about your criteria for rating Purdue Global. Is there a link to a site or article that provides objective criteria and ratings?

It’s nothing if not audacious. Daniels is pretty much batting a 1.000 so far. I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt on this one. If I truly thought my diploma was going to suffer, I’d be up in arms. But it hasn’t.
I don't see much difference from those that graduate from IU and say they are a college grad. ;) I'm ducking...

• Haha
I think lbodel is a great poster. He’s always fact based and never dives into personal stuff. I couldn’t care less who he votes for.
I, like everyone else, don't want the degree cheapened. That said, there is a huge potential to grow Purdue and increase the academics in the process in an evolutionary manner. Mitch may be wayyyyyyy ahead of the others in this. I take a wait and see (course I won't be around when the effects are known), but can see the potential publicity and growth of the alumni base down the road

US News Rankings are a complete joke and ignored by folks who know the value of them. AWRU is widely considered the gold standard for world wide academia and reputation is a component of the full score. And we continue to improve in that tally.

We haven’t added anything. You’ve said yourself it’s totally separate.

Frankly Purdue Pharma has probably been a bigger hit on our “brand” than anything.
All rankings are perceptions about inputs that are believed to be tied to outputs, but without any statistical measures of learning.

Mitch has been a tremendous leader for Purdue.

We can look around at all the wonderful "schools" that have been run "like a school"; worthless majors and degrees (well, that's at most "schools"), out-of-control tuition hikes, unaccountable bureaucrats and "educators", limited access for the "commoners", (I could go on).

Purdue now has "degree in 3". Legit studies. (Well, as "legit" as L.A. can be... ;) J/K!!)

Purdue Polytechnic High Schools (3 of them!) are graduating their first 4-year students. Primarily served are the low-income and minority youths. Those schools were only developed due to massive failures in public education. Translation: Bureaucrats who were NOT running schools "like a business".

In Mitch's most recent "open letter" (January 4?), he outlined future plans to make higher learning even more accessible, with an opportunity to complete Freshman year courses online. For FREE.

Making a coveted Purdue degree even more accessible to those hungry for an education makes me proud to be a Boilermaker. In no way do I feel my degree is "cheapened" by any of that. I have a suspicion the "elites", on the other hand, sneer at all that and look down their collective noses.

I'm curious about your criteria for rating Purdue Global. Is there a link to a site or article that provides objective criteria and ratings?
Tonight I asked a Purdue faculty member about your and other's statements in this thread. What you and some others have stated is not true. After Purdue acquired Kaplan, a great deal of effort went into aligning the curricula and standards to those of Purdue University. Because the Purdue academic teams assimilating the on-line "campus" were so diligent, in many ways Purdue Global is more aligned with Purdue's West Lafayette standards than are some of the regional brick-and-mortar campuses. Have the critics of Purdue Global bothered looking at the performance of these other campuses to see if their Purdue degree is "cheapened" by them?

Purdue global is nonprofit (in spite of what some uninformed critics are saying) and the school is overseen by the Purdue University Board of Trustees.

Grabbing an established on-line school and aligning it with your own was a very smart, forward-looking move. Maybe even genius, when you see the demographics of the US population. Purdue is once again on the forefront of innovation, and I am even more proud of my degree after what I have learned today.

Tonight I asked a Purdue faculty member about your and other's statements in this thread. What you and some others have stated is not true. After Purdue acquired Kaplan, a great deal of effort went into aligning the curricula and standards to those of Purdue University. Because the Purdue academic teams assimilating the on-line "campus" were so diligent, in many ways Purdue Global is more aligned with Purdue's West Lafayette standards than are some of the regional brick-and-mortar campuses. Have the critics of Purdue Global bothered looking at the performance of these other campuses to see if their Purdue degree is "cheapened" by them?

Purdue global is nonprofit (in spite of what some uninformed critics are saying) and the school is overseen by the Purdue University Board of Trustees.

Grabbing an established on-line school and aligning it with your own was a very smart, forward-looking move. Maybe even genius, when you see the demographics of the US population. Purdue is once again on the forefront of innovation, and I am even more proud of my degree after what I have learned today.

indeed it is forward-looking.

No, Purdue global is not nonprofit.

Purdue Global is a B Corp, meaning it is a for-profit organization that is "overseen" by the Trustees, who also oversee Purdue University, which is a non-profit body. It's whitewashing a calculated (and unscrupulous, knowing Kaplan's history and organization) business move using the name of a trusted university. This is going to result in PG students receiving less valuable degrees, the University's name taking a hit, and likely bureaucratic stress on elearning capabilities that will deprive all Purdue students of actual service.

The only people this benefits are the people who profit off of their positions of power and business associates.

If you aren't upset by that, then I don't know what to say to you.

Purdue Global is a B Corp, meaning it is a for-profit organization that is "overseen" by the Trustees, who also oversee Purdue University, which is a non-profit body. It's whitewashing a calculated (and unscrupulous, knowing Kaplan's history and organization) business move using the name of a trusted university. This is going to result in PG students receiving less valuable degrees, the University's name taking a hit, and likely bureaucratic stress on elearning capabilities that will deprive all Purdue students of actual service.

The only people this benefits are the people who profit off of their positions of power and business associates.

You're overreacting.

Purdue acquiring this entity was a brilliant move.

Reactions: dayhr11

Your posting on this topic might lead a reader to think that you are one of the self important faculty on campus that believes their funding, salaries and perceived power within the university has been threatened by this acquisition.

At the bottom of every Purdue University Global web page is the following statement:

© 2021, Purdue University Global, Inc., a public, nonprofit institution.

In press releases put out by Purdue University where Purdue Global is discussed, the following statement is given:

Purdue Global is a nonprofit, public university accredited by The Higher Learning Commission.

So who am I to believe -- vetted public documents from Purdue University and Purdue Global and the Purdue University (West Lafayette campus) faculty member with whom I spoke last week? Or emotional, baseless statements from anonymous message board posters?

As I stated in a previous post in this thread:

Cordova was raising tuition as much as 10x the inflation rate when my oldest was attending Purdue. You never knew what it was going to be the next year, but you knew it was going up significantly. Now that my youngest is there, it is a real relief to know what tuition is going to be next year.

BTW, Purdue's reputation as an academic institution suffered under Cordova's tenure. She was a bad experiment.

Mitch Daniels has not raised tuition since he became president of Purdue. Cordova and her staff referred to students as RGUs -- Revenue Generating Units -- and preferrentially accepted foreign students over the children of taxpaying Indiana residents because foreign students pay double the tuition (higher paying RGUs). Daniels immediately stopped this practice. Which president was running the school "like a business"?

You can believe what you want to believe from the people in your circle of friends. But I have seen absolutely nothing that suggests Purdue Global "cheapened" my degree from Purdue University. Certainly you have presented no facts to make your point, and I suspect that your real complaint is about something other than Purdue Global. For what reason would someone be so "upset" about this? Every student and parent of students with whom I have spoken have nothing but praise for how Mitch Daniels has improved Purdue University. Every national and international metric shows that he is doing an excellent job. People I encounter in this country and around the world have nothing but respect for my degree from Purdue. It is mind-boggling to think that someone who uses the internet cannot appreciate the future of on-line education and be proud that their university is working to be at the forefront.

I graduated with a Masters in 90. As an Audiologist my chosen profession had been wed to Speech Pathology from its origins. While at Purdue audiology was pursuing a pathway that would allow them to be independent practitioners while speech pathology intended to remain dependent practitioners working in and for schools and hospital systems. Because SLPs were in the majority within academic settings and professional organizations they strongly resisted any change in the professional pathway for audiology. At the time a SLP professor was the Dean of Purdue Grad programs and stated that a clinical doctorate would never be granted at Purdue under his guidance. Eventually the two professions split and to afford those already practicing the opportunity to achieve the doctoral degree while working led to the establishment of a few distance learning programs through existing universities nationwide. In 2005 I enrolled in an accredited program through the Pennsylvania College of Optometry that was in the process of evolving to a health centered institution now named Salus University. The program was intensive and required nearly constant coursework, reading, writing, exams and culminated in a lengthy comprehensive exam at completion. I received my doctorate in October 2008 and when my wife and I flew to Philly in May 2009 I felt like the achievement represented when I crossed the stage to receive my diploma was no less than when I had done so twice previously at Purdue. More importantly I had done so while maintaining a full time position working at the VA. I should clarify that during the period I was enrolled residential 4 year doctoral programs were being established. By around 2014 a masters degree was no longer accepted for licensure and the distance learning programs, having met the needs of those wanting to transition, had ceased to exist. I was a pioneer in the field of online distance learning. Purdue's involvement in this area of education can only help to improve as we go forward.

At the bottom of every Purdue University Global web page is the following statement:

© 2021, Purdue University Global, Inc., a public, nonprofit institution.

Purdue Global is a nonprofit, public university accredited by The Higher Learning Commission.

Wow, the for-profit business model masquerading under the name of a public land-grant university system says that they're a nonprofit? I'M SHOCKED!!!

You're the one bringing up only anecdotal evidence (your daughter, some rando well-connected rich people you've spoken to). If we're playing that game, I'll just tell you that I was a student who experienced parts of both Cordova's and Daniels' tenure. My tuition did rise each year under Cordova, but Daniels coming in slashed my major department's funding.

The entire Kaplan deal smells like shit, no matter how you try to spin it: https://tcf.org/content/commentary/purdue-global-got-irs-stamp-approval/?agreed=1

Wow, the for-profit business model masquerading under the name of a public land-grant university system says that they're a nonprofit? I'M SHOCKED!!!

You're the one bringing up only anecdotal evidence (your daughter, some rando well-connected rich people you've spoken to). If we're playing that game, I'll just tell you that I was a student who experienced parts of both Cordova's and Daniels' tenure. My tuition did rise each year under Cordova, but Daniels coming in slashed my major department's funding.

The entire Kaplan deal smells like shit, no matter how you try to spin it: https://tcf.org/content/commentary/purdue-global-got-irs-stamp-approval/?agreed=1
You must be responding to someone else when you responded to my post. I did not mention a daughter or rich people. Your credibility in this thread has hit bottom, yet you keep digging. I have presented very simple, verifiable facts and asked you to do the same. You have presented only shrill, emotional opinions which are refuted by the facts. You try to make this about me, and then you make it clear that it is really about you. Yet you don't give details about your department whose funding was "slashed" (Which department? How much was "slashed"?), because you know it will not help your argument.

Shireman's arguments (your link) do not provide support for your opinions. Shireman was in Clinton's and Obama's education department and from the beginning has done nothing but throw crap against the wall regarding Mitch Daniels and Purdue Global (probably what you are smelling). Nothing sticks, because there are no facts to back his emotional opinions. I don't know if he and Daniels have history, but Shireman seems to be obsessed with Daniels and Purdue Global.

History will judge how well Purdue Global meets its mission. But I will tell you that Purdue Global does not in any way cheapen my degree from Purdue University. If anything, it is cheapened by people claiming to be graduates and making baseless negative claims about Purdue. It is embarassing to think that someone made it through the rigors of a Purdue education and is unable to compose a fact-based argument.

Last edited:
You must be responding to someone else when you responded to my post. I did not mention a daughter or rich people. Your credibility in this thread has hit bottom, yet you keep digging. I have presented very simple, verifiable facts and asked you to do the same. You have presented only shrill, emotional opinions which are refuted by the facts. You try to make this about me, and then you make it clear that it is really about you. Yet you don't give details about your department whose funding was "slashed" (Which department? How much was "slashed"?), because you know it will not help your argument.

Shireman's arguments (your link) do not provide support for your opinions. Shireman was in Clinton's and Obama's education department and from the beginning has done nothing but throw crap against the wall regarding Mitch Daniels and Purdue Global from the beginning (probably what you are smelling). Nothing sticks, because there are no facts to back his emotional opinions. I don't know if he and Daniels have history, but Shireman seems to be obsessed with Daniels and Purdue Global.

History will judge how well Purdue Global meets its mission. But I will tell you that Purdue Global does not in any way cheapen my degree from Purdue University. If anything, it is cheapened by people claiming to be graduates and making baseless negative claims about Purdue. It is embarassing to think that someone made it through the rigors of a Purdue education and is unable to compose a fact-based argument.

In my view, the biggest criticism of Purdue Global is that blurring of the lines between capitalism/competition and education.

Said a different way, progressives/liberals/leftists have long detested anything smacking of competition entering into their domain.

The "brick and mortar" universities may not be a dying model, but there sure are warning signs all around.

Mitch (and his way of running a university and educating the masses) is a threat.

In my view, the biggest criticism of Purdue Global is that blurring of the lines between capitalism/competition and education.

Said a different way, progressives/liberals/leftists have long detested anything smacking of competition entering into their domain.

The "brick and mortar" universities may not be a dying model, but there sure are warning signs all around.

Mitch (and his way of running a university and educating the masses) is a threat.
I think your observations are accurate. The criticisms are not about the quality of education. The school has only been operating under the control of the Purdue and the Purdue Board of Directors for less than 3 years, so people seem to be basing their criticisms on a model that no longer exists.

I am sure that Daniels has looked at the demographics and understands that each successive age group in America is getting smaller, therefore future high school graduating classes will be smaller and smaller. Purdue is positioning itself to be very competitive for those declining numbers.

At the same time, people in older age groups are more and more interested in continuing education, but not in a brick-and-mortar school setting. Making a good education more accessible and affordable has been Daniels' stated goal since he took the job at Purdue. I see criticisms, but I don't see the critics having better ideas. In fact, I don't see any of their ideas toward those goals.

If you believe education is a public good, then it stands to reason that profit motive that places shareholder interest above the greater societal value of that public good is at odds with that mission.

Also Andy, yes, I'm definitely a troll scouring a message board that like 15 people use and pretending to be a graduate to besmirch Purdue. Go outside, my man.

If you believe education is a public good, then it stands to reason that profit motive that places shareholder interest above the greater societal value of that public good is at odds with that mission.

Also Andy, yes, I'm definitely a troll scouring a message board that like 15 people use and pretending to be a graduate to besmirch Purdue. Go outside, my man.
I do believe education to be a "public good" (both public and private education). It stands to reason, being disciplined about costs, having a vision of future delivery of educational opportunities, being good stewards and finding unconventional(?) methods to do that ... all that truly "is a public good".

Fact is, people have used education as their platform for spreading their ideology. Particularly public education. (You know you're likely to get that with a private education.) Many of these same people have worked tirelessly to avoid any and all competition, accountability, etc.

What's more, there's nothing wrong with running a educational institution like a business, especially when it comes to accountability, and managing expenses.

No... my observation (right, wrong, indifferent) is that people are ragging on Mitch because it's Mitch. They've b*tched about him managing expenses. They've b*tched about him working to keep the school open for in-person instruction. They've truly exposed themselves, IMHO.

My comment was directed at your sarcastic dismissal of Purdue University's and Purdue Global's statements that Purdue Global is a nonprofit. It seems to be very important to you that people believe those statements to be false, implying that Purdue University is lying. You claim to be concerned about Purdue's image, then claim -- without evidence --that what they provide on public documents is untrue.

Where are you getting that Purdue Global is a B Corp? And you know a "B" Corp isn't really a thing right?

Where are you getting that Purdue Global is a B Corp? And you know a "B" Corp isn't really a thing right?
That was where the credibility collapsed. Then there was the disbelief in the Purdue University and Purdue Global documents/websites identifying Purdue Global as a nonprofit.

There is something to this hatred for Purdue Global other than what was stated. Because what was stated was false.

That was where the credibility collapsed. Then there was the disbelief in the Purdue University and Purdue Global documents/websites identifying Purdue Global as a nonprofit.

There is something to this hatred for Purdue Global other than what was stated. Because what was stated was false.
Probably an unhappy faculty member that thinks his years of unlimited salary increases without performing in the classroom nay be threatened. How dare Mitch do something threatening without asking?

You can keep sticking your heads in the sand and making up paranoid conspiracies about me (a former faculty member would -definitely- be trolling a random sports forum) or you can read something that isn't shoveled into your corntroughs.

And btw it was the History department, and it was the reason I didn't apply to Purdue for grad school.

You can keep sticking your heads in the sand and making up paranoid conspiracies about me (a former faculty member would -definitely- be trolling a random sports forum) or you can read something that isn't shoveled into your corntroughs.

And btw it was the History department, and it was the reason I didn't apply to Purdue for grad school.

So, it looks like you've given up on the ruse that it is/was a B Corp.

Now you cite a liberal/left organization, mad about the Purdue/Kaplan arrangement. Color me shocked.

Original reports and releases made no bones about the "deal".

You're really doing nothing but highlighting my earlier points.

Reactions: Mandeville LA

I read every word in that article and went in open-minded. This is absolute nonsense. Looking at the other articles on that site, they're clearly an extremely politically skewed organization.

The Purdue global move was an experiment in creating greater, cheaper access to higher ed. If it fails, it fails and Purdue may slightly tarnish their brand (although all rankings and publicity in the interim don't show any evidence of this). If it succeeds, it could revolutionize higher education.

My simple question to you: you seem to want Purdue global to fail. Why? Wouldn't it be great for everyone, especially those of lesser means, if it succeeds?

College tuition has steadily gotten out of hand over the past few decades. You used to be able to work a summer job to pay for school, and now you're lucky if you graduate with less than 40k in debt. Most degrees also seldom translate to a career in a related field.

I find it interesting that the folks that most frequently call for forgiveness of student loans, free college for all, and higher numbers of individuals getting a degree are often the same people that deride Daniels' tenure, his slashing of school budgets, and elimination of administrative positions.

Purdue global is another effort to help meet Purdue's goal of cheap, quality, public education. It didn't cost the school much, but it could pay off huge. Decrying the move because it "cheapens the brand" or doesn't follow the conventional model comes across as pretentious and self-serving.

There is nothing nefarious going on here.

Double posting I know, but what's ridiculous about this entire debate is the ignoring of the current education climate. In the midst of covid, there's never been a greater need for easy access to online education platforms and tools.

That was the primary reason behind the Kaplan purchase. Purdue's existing infrastructure was outdated, it was cheaper to buy an existing model than to build one, and the goal is to be able to scale educational outreach. Bringing up brand, tax status, etc. is completely beside the point and comes across as so out of touch. However, former college instructors being out of touch with reality is one of the least surprising things.

More irrational tripe from Shireman. Is this all you have? I already warned you about him when you posted the only other negative -- and incorrect -- information you could dig up. The guy is obsessed with Mitch Daniels. Continuing to post editorial tripe from the same source just makes you look more foolish.

Not anywhere in that article was anything that showed Purdue Global was either for-profit or a "B" Corporation. The most damning evidence found in the article,

"it’s covertly operating like a for-profit college"

You display your elitist skirts when you imply that a former faculty member wouldn't stoop to associating with the lowly commoners on this board.

I am trying to understand your viewpoint. Here is a question that I am sure you have been asked -- maybe even asked yourself: With all of the outstanding liberal arts schools in Indiana, the Midwest, and around the nation, why in the world would you choose an ag, science, and engineering school to pursue a history degree? With your repeatedly stated concern about the value of your degree, you obviously could have done much better. Wabash College has an excellent history program, as does IU. So why would you be so upset when history was not considered a priority in the Purdue budget?

Finally, history is one of those subjects that can absolutely be taught via remote learning at a much lower cost. There is absolutely no requirements for brick-and-mortar facilities.

Reactions: joseole101
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT