ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Purdue baseball

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010
If you haven't noticed, the Purdue baseball team is on a roll, especially in conference. 11-4 now in the B1G and 29-15 overall. Tied for 1st. Shouldn't have to sweat making the B1G tournament (only 8) even though the remaining 9 games are against Indiana, Michigan and Illinois, who are all near or at the top of the standings as well. Just swept Northwestern, who stinks, including the Wrigley Field game. I would have loved to have gone but was in DC for the weekend.

Purdue's at-large hopes took a hit when they dropped 2 of 3 to #52 ETSU last week. That was a series they really had to win.

Purdue is currently #62 in the RPI. Probably has to win all 3 remaining B1G series (#71 Indiana, #66 Illinois, #94 Michigan) to be in the at-large discussion going into the B1G Tournament.

There's not a lot of heft on this resume. Purdue swept #56 Rutgers but hasn't fared well against other at-large contenders, losing to #10 Indiana State (twice), #8 East Carolina, #49 ND, and #68 UIC. Purdue also dropped series against #65 OSU and #98 Iowa and split a 4-game series with #205 George Mason.

Purdue's at-large hopes took a hit when they dropped 2 of 3 to #52 ETSU last week. That was a series they really had to win.

Purdue is currently #62 in the RPI. Probably has to win all 3 remaining B1G series (#71 Indiana, #66 Illinois, #94 Michigan) to be in the at-large discussion going into the B1G Tournament.

There's not a lot of heft on this resume. Purdue swept #56 Rutgers but hasn't fared well against other at-large contenders, losing to #10 Indiana State (twice), #8 East Carolina, #49 ND, and #68 UIC. Purdue also dropped series against #65 OSU and #98 Iowa and split a 4-game series with #205 George Mason.
I looked at a mock bracket that had Nebraska as the auto-bid, and Ohio State last 4 in. Illinois first 4 out. Indiana State hosting a regional. Based on what you pointed out, very unlikely Purdue would even get in the discussion for an at-large bid even with a strong finish.

I think our system's odds don't get adjusted much for NCAA baseball. They're all quite a ways down, but we have odds for Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, and Maryland. Maryland will need to finish strong just to make the B1G Tournament.

Reactions: rgarlitz
I looked at a mock bracket that had Nebraska as the auto-bid, and Ohio State last 4 in. Illinois first 4 out. Indiana State hosting a regional. Based on what you pointed out, very unlikely Purdue would even get in the discussion for an at-large bid even with a strong finish.

I think our system's odds don't get adjusted much for NCAA baseball. They're all quite a ways down, but we have odds for Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, and Maryland. Maryland will need to finish strong just to make the B1G Tournament.
Very possible, but there isn't much separating Illinois and Purdue right now. So, I won't say there's no chance. Purdue was in at least one bracket before the ETSU series.

There weren't many marquee non-conference games. Plus, there are a lot of middling teams in the B1G.

The only thing Alexander Field lacks is a long history of significant wins-- here's hoping that changes in a big way this week!

Beat IU tonight, 7-4.

12-4 conference record and leads Nebraska and Illinois by a game....two games up on Indiana and Michigan right now.

Hope the Boilers can keep it rolling.....the opportunity is there with a trip to Michigan and hosting Illinois to finish the regular season.

Magic # to clinch making the top 8 is now 3. Purdue also now has the best overall record in the B1G. Still not on our board for going to Omaha. Numbers have barely changed. Not a popular thing.

Magic # to clinch making the top 8 is now 3. Purdue also now has the best overall record in the B1G. Still not on our board for going to Omaha. Numbers have barely changed. Not a popular thing.
Hard to make it as a northern team in general. BIG is a what, 2-3 bid league at best most years?

The weak conference schedule helped get us that confidence we needed to beat some of these decent teams. I’d never say never that we don’t make it…but it does seem unlikely.

Always reminds me of the time we got a top 16 seed, were able to host a regional but could t because the facilities weren’t big enough. Glad that’s not an issue any longer!

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Hard to make it as a northern team in general. BIG is a what, 2-3 bid league at best most years?

The weak conference schedule helped get us that confidence we needed to beat some of these decent teams. I’d never say never that we don’t make it…but it does seem unlikely.

Always reminds me of the time we got a top 16 seed, were able to host a regional but could t because the facilities weren’t big enough. Glad that’s not an issue any longer!
I think it was because the stadium was being renovated. You're talking about 2012?

I actually went to one of the games in Gary. Sort of. We got there in the 8th inning of the Kent State vs Kentucky game. It went 21 innings!! Including the winning run getting thrown out at the plate in the 15th on a double off the center-field wall. By the time the Purdue game got started it was so late we only lasted 3 innings of it.

Tough 10-2 loss to the Hoosiers yesterday, as the Boilers held a 1-0 lead though 6.....then gave up 6 in the 7th and 4 in the 9th to fall to 12-5 in conference. Ends a 6-game winning streak.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but Indiana State is the best team in the state.
Nobody disputes that. ISU is looking good to host a regional and is 2-0 v. Purdue.

Purdue is much improved over last year's 24-29 record. Plus, there's more buzz when you're 31-16. That said, I suspect this year's record reflects a schedule designed for rebuilding rather than making a serious run at the NCAA Tournament. The non-conference slate wasn't exactly daunting.

Embarrassing choke job today. Go to the 9th leading 4-1 and give up 4 runs on 3 singles and 3 walks. I guess we don't have anyone available in the bullpen that can throw strikes?
Brutal. Sounds like the Cubs bullpen right now.

Reactions: DrEss

That was 2012 when PU had to “host” their site at the Gary Steelyard. Had a nephew on the PU team. Was out for dinner with the wife and 3 kids in Merrillville the night before it started. Saw kids from all 4 teams there. Was it Ohio U who won that bracket?

Most of the time the Big Ten gets 2-3 bids, but there have been a lot of 4-5 bid years in recent years. The conference has done a good job of imrpoving facilities all around. Indiana and Michigan have at least made the CWS int he last 10-15 years and Michigan was runner-up a few seasons ago.

Embarrassing choke job today. Go to the 9th leading 4-1 and give up 4 runs on 3 singles and 3 walks. I guess we don't have anyone available in the bullpen that can throw strikes?
Relief pitching has been an issue for this team. No lead is big enough going into the 9th inning.

I think the bullpen has been pretty solid this year, that was a crushing loss though. My buddy’s son Kyle Iwinski threw a gem today.

Reactions: TC4THREE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT