ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Michigan ring-chaser Tarris Reed commits to UConn

UCONN lost lots of players, they’re going to get 3-4 guys, everyone is doing it for the most part, Purdue isn’t, we’ll see if that’s good or not. I think 1-2 yearly is wise really.

Looking at the number leaving duke I’m reminded how their fans were offended when they were compared to kentucky, kansas, to day illinois, et al. Well …

UCONN lost lots of players, they’re going to get 3-4 guys, everyone is doing it for the most part, Purdue isn’t, we’ll see if that’s good or not. I think 1-2 yearly is wise really.
Agree, UConn is losing a lot of guys but will fill the gaps with talented, experienced players. I'll call it here that UConn will be good this year but not nearly at the level that they've been the past two years and that Purdue will have a better season than UConn this coming year.

Don't blame Reed at all for leaving Michigan for UCONN - Hurley is a nut job but can coach and has a good staff

Reactions: pboiler18
CJ Cox was an interesting late offer (wonder if that was to pressure Harris?) and Jacobson reclassified. We’d be in the hunt for a transfer now if we didn’t have those two, although we don’t have much playing time to offer which is a good problem to have.

Depends on the season. Going after Jones last season made perfect sense because he filled a need on a team that had everything else, but in general I am not a big fan of clearing roster space to sign transfers. Assuming NIL alliance money is limited, if you get into bidding wars for transfers you are going to have less money to reward the returning players that have been loyal to your program. I like seeing the money going to the guys who have contributing all along. This is just one of multiple reasons why players are not transferring out of Purdue. Continuity is valuable.

I’ll add that while I think that next season and every season is important, Purdue appears to be positioning itself to have a great team in the following season when Smith, Loyer, and TKR are seniors. A one year transfer does nothing to help in that regard.

Depends on the season. Going after Jones last season made perfect sense because he filled a need on a team that had everything else, but in general I am not a big fan of clearing roster space to sign transfers. Assuming NIL alliance money is limited, if you get into bidding wars for transfers you are going to have less money to reward the returning players that have been loyal to your program. I like seeing the money going to the guys who have contributing all along. This is just one of multiple reasons why players are not transferring out of Purdue. Continuity is valuable.

I’ll add that while I think that next season and every season is important, Purdue appears to be positioning itself to have a great team in the following season when Smith, Loyer, and TKR are seniors. A one year transfer does nothing to help in that regard.
Good news and bad news is that even for next season, I'm not sure there is a starting position where Purdue would have a realistic chance at landing a portal player that's a clear upgrade from their current roster.

Trey and Braden have a frontcourt and backcourt position locked down respectively and there are at least three or four other high-quality backcourt options in Loyer, Heide, Colvin and Harris.

The second frontcourt position is probably more nebulous, but I have serious doubts as to whether Purdue would able to land a player that's a clear upgrade over Catchings, Berg or Furst.

Reactions: Boiler Buck

Who on the current roster (Zach not included) would command the most NIL $ if they tested the waters? I'm not convinced we have a lot of players who would create bidding wars.

Who on the current roster (Zach not included) would command the most NIL $ if they tested the waters? I'm not convinced we have a lot of players who would create bidding wars.

Smith.... Any banner chaser would want him badly.

Hard to believe you can't identify Smith as big $ NIL guy.....but then again you have discounted him since his initial offer.

I too like the money going to the guys at Purdue and that was the original intent of NIL, but Purdue has seen it with Pack and other schools do use it to recruit and there could be a time that Purdue has to do it with a player or two. I hope not as it leads to less basketball enjoyment for me knowing they are choosing Purdue only for the money. Also, in another thread I posted the "budget" of all the teams in the tourney and Purdue was around 8 million, UK around 23 million and Duke at 28 million. I assume that money use is determined by the priorities of the school. Then you can add NIL to that and fill a need according to Uconn. Can Purdue ride this out with anticipation that something corrects the current mess...I don't know, but hope so...

snip...snip...

Spencer is UConn's biggest offseason addition.​

Secondly, the move was a serious statement out of Storrs in regard to Name, Image and Likeness. Although there are not any confirmed deals or agreements to this point, Spencer's decision to leave the Scarlet Knights was reportedly linked to NIL opportunities.

After announcing his decision to leave Rutgers, Spencer visited Miami, Oklahoma, UCLA and UConn. The Hurricanes have significant NIL funds, largely subsidized by John Ruiz, that had a direct correlation to their success during the 2022/23 basketball season.

If Spencer's decision was truly about financial opportunity, Miami presumably would have been the highest bidder. The Sooners and Bruins are not destitute in the NIL space either.

For the Huskies to land Spencer, if money played the role that has been reported, means that their collectives have the backing to match (or come close) to other offers. That's impressive.

UConn found the money to compete with some of the biggest NIL funds in basketball. Spencer was, in a sense, a statement. snip...

Smith.... Any banner chaser would want him badly.

Hard to believe you can't identify Smith as big $ NIL guy.....but then again you have discounted him since his initial offer.
I love Smith. I'm really interested to see his game without Zach. You saw Smith struggle with that tight, on ball pressure in the tourney, so I'm sure that'll be how he's defended next year, especially knowing he can't just throw it up towards the rim.

I too like the money going to the guys at Purdue and that was the original intent of NIL, but Purdue has seen it with Pack and other schools do use it to recruit and there could be a time that Purdue has to do it with a player or two. I hope not as it leads to less basketball enjoyment for me knowing they are choosing Purdue only for the money. Also, in another thread I posted the "budget" of all the teams in the tourney and Purdue was around 8 million, UK around 23 million and Duke at 28 million. I assume that money use is determined by the priorities of the school. Then you can add NIL to that and fill a need according to Uconn. Can Purdue ride this out with anticipation that something corrects the current mess...I don't know, but hope so...

snip...snip...

Secondly, the move was a serious statement out of Storrs in regard to Name, Image and Likeness. Although there are not any confirmed deals or agreements to this point, Spencer's decision to leave the Scarlet Knights was reportedly linked to NIL opportunities.

After announcing his decision to leave Rutgers, Spencer visited Miami, Oklahoma, UCLA and UConn. The Hurricanes have significant NIL funds, largely subsidized by John Ruiz, that had a direct correlation to their success during the 2022/23 basketball season.

If Spencer's decision was truly about financial opportunity, Miami presumably would have been the highest bidder. The Sooners and Bruins are not destitute in the NIL space either.

For the Huskies to land Spencer, if money played the role that has been reported, means that their collectives have the backing to match (or come close) to other offers. That's impressive.

UConn found the money to compete with some of the biggest NIL funds in basketball. Spencer was, in a sense, a statement. snip...
As long as any offer relative to the player’s value does not exceed what the returning players are getting, relative to their value. If anything, I would place the premium on the returning player.

Reactions: tjreese
As long as any offer relative to the player’s value does not exceed what the returning players are getting, relative to their value. If anything, I would place the premium on the returning player.
I would too...loyalty and incentive for staying. Pay for performance it seems. I just hope the portal and NIL issues get addressed

snip...snip...

Are you selecting Spencer for this exercise because Uconn beat us? There were many teams that were much more active than Uconn, that weren't as successful. We have no idea why he selected Uconn. It isn't likely they were the highest bidder as that article points out. Miami would have likely been the highest bidder. Maybe, he thought Uconn was the best fit for him and gave him the best chance to win a championship or at the very least, play for a very good team and give him a better playing experience versus Rutgers.

As for the "budgets" of schools for basketball, I think we've pretty well established that nobody knows where those figures come from and exactly what they include or exclude. If you know what makes up the 8 million that PU supposedly "pays" for basketball, then let us know. Or even more importantly, what makes up the 28 million that Duke spends? It sure isn't salaries, because there just isn't that big of a difference in the coaches salaries. So what is Duke spending 20 million more dollars on? It isn't paying players because that isn't allowed and certainly wouldn't be included in the budget even if they were paying players.

Until I see someone post exactly where those numbers come from, I'm very skeptical of their accuracy.

Are you selecting Spencer for this exercise because Uconn beat us? There were many teams that were much more active than Uconn, that weren't as successful. We have no idea why he selected Uconn. It isn't likely they were the highest bidder as that article points out. Miami would have likely been the highest bidder. Maybe, he thought Uconn was the best fit for him and gave him the best chance to win a championship or at the very least, play for a very good team and give him a better playing experience versus Rutgers.

As for the "budgets" of schools for basketball, I think we've pretty well established that nobody knows where those figures come from and exactly what they include or exclude. If you know what makes up the 8 million that PU supposedly "pays" for basketball, then let us know. Or even more importantly, what makes up the 28 million that Duke spends? It sure isn't salaries, because there just isn't that big of a difference in the coaches salaries. So what is Duke spending 20 million more dollars on? It isn't paying players because that isn't allowed and certainly wouldn't be included in the budget even if they were paying players.

Until I see someone post exactly where those numbers come from, I'm very skeptical of their accuracy.
Well first I don't know that UConn was the highest bidder. The article even said that wasn't confirmed. I know he didn't turn down hundreds of thousands to go to UConn as the article also implied. It was a good enough offer that the highest offer if it wasn't UConn was good enough for the total package for one year

I don't know what "inputs" feed the budget to know for certain that it cannot also help feed NIL. I would have thought that the budget spending is the desire of the school heads. If you say the budget can't go to paying players in some way I have no reason to not believe you. I really don't know. However, if not...like you...where does the money go?

What concerns me is seeing the budget numbers with three outliers in UK, UConn and Duke. Most teams were probably in the 3 to 8 million I'm guessing since the chart is not in front of me. I thought I read IU was around 14 million, but not for certain and since they were not in the tourney I don't know. We know football brings in or at least used to bring in the most money and so how much of that goes inside the "budget"? Outside of not knowing how money gets spent we know players are coming and going as a result of money all over the country.

Well first I don't know that UConn was the highest bidder. The article even said that wasn't confirmed. I know he didn't turn down hundreds of thousands to go to UConn as the article also implied. It was a good enough offer that the highest offer if it wasn't UConn was good enough for the total package for one year

I don't know what "inputs" feed the budget to know for certain that it cannot also help feed NIL. I would have thought that the budget spending is the desire of the school heads. If you say the budget can't go to paying players in some way I have no reason to not believe you. I really don't know. However, if not...like you...where does the money go?

What concerns me is seeing the budget numbers with three outliers in UK, UConn and Duke. Most teams were probably in the 3 to 8 million I'm guessing since the chart is not in front of me. I thought I read IU was around 14 million, but not for certain and since they were not in the tourney I don't know. We know football brings in or at least used to bring in the most money and so how much of that goes inside the "budget"? Outside of not knowing how money gets spent we know players are coming and going as a result of money all over the country.
Schools can't pay players. NIL doesn't come from the schools directly. So Duke having a 28 million "budget" can't include paying players. That's why I'm skeptical when I see those numbers. 20 million dollar difference is a huge number. I need to see details before I believe it.

Reactions: tjreese
Schools can't pay players. NIL doesn't come from the schools directly. So Duke having a 28 million "budget" can't include paying players. That's why I'm skeptical when I see those numbers. 20 million dollar difference is a huge number. I need to see details before I believe it.
I don't know why the huge difference either. Whatever was used, it was applied to all the teams in the tourney . I know Purdue has always been self sufficient in athletics where many school charge a fee to all students. I just figured since NIL opened Pandora's box previous rules did not hold as much weight. I don't believe that taking money from taxpayers could go to the athletic budget, but thought other schools did that and why I said I don't know what "feeds" the athletic budget. Is it a percent of the football money taken in? Could that money taken in be used in NIL maybe for players to do commercials or represent Purdue? No idea. It is murky water for certain. It is like all legislation...there is a way around it. Even if not used for recruiting they could say that here is a contract for your sophomore year or this is the range of NIL last year or what a person of your ability should get your sophomore year and so forth if using it for recruiting as legislated a no-no.

There is always a way around...just like prior to the NIL cheating and telling recruits untruths to get them to your school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT