ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kristoff Kendrick new Warren Cent coach . . .

Do you know if he is a teacher or does Indiana now allow non teachers the head job.
Girl's and Boy's basketball, football and Volleyball require a teacher within the school corporation. MS PE teachers are fine .... not Sure what Kristof is certified to teach.

Reactions: tjreese
Indiana allows non teachers in certain sports, and on an emergency basis the others. They want a FB coach to be on staff.
Yeah, I was aware and why I asked about basketball because it didn't use to allow the head job to be a non teacher "certified"...

Back in the 70s you had to have a P.E. major or minor to coach, but in the 60s I think it was only a teacher certification.

Girl's and Boy's basketball, football and Volleyball require a teacher within the school corporation. MS PE teachers are fine .... not Sure what Kristof is certified to teach.
I don't think you have to be "teacher within the school corporation" anymore and know of an example or two. I also know a person that had no teacher's certification and was able to get a waiver for the head football job, but didn't think he had to get a waiver to be the head women's basketball coach.

Reactions: SKYDOG

unless this is a new requirement, volleyball coaches are not required to be a teacher within the school. Unfortunately, I know this from experience... and I do mean, "unfortunately"...

Reactions: ejs1111 and tjreese
I don't think you have to be "teacher within the school corporation" anymore and know of an example or two. I also know a person that had no teacher's certification and was able to get a waiver for the head football job, but didn't think he had to get a waiver to be the head women's basketball coach.

sorry... did not read your response before posting mine.

Well Hell, ya grow a year or two older and they change everything.

I'm still not gonna apply!

And head football coach teaching jobs MIGHT consist of sitting around diagramming new plays while 16 year old kids goof around in the Weight room.

And head football coach teaching jobs MIGHT consist of sitting around diagramming new plays while 16 year old kids goof around in the Weight room.

and crack up their lumbar vertebrae, while they're supposed to be ... "supervised" .... in the weight room.

Lest ANY of you think I'm kidding, this has become an UNBELIEVABLE problem at the HS level. Coaches pushing players (both male and female) into weight rooms to lift more and more, loading their spine, to the point they have a RASH of stress fractures.

I could tell HORROR stories about this until I bore you all to death.

Suffice it to say, one of my own suffered, and the more parents I talked to (from MANY schools), the more I was dismayed.

Unfortunately, I think it's going to take a class action lawsuit to stop this crap.

Sorry, but (obviously) this is a problem that hits VERY close to home.

and crack up their lumbar vertebrae, while they're supposed to be ... "supervised" .... in the weight room.

Lest ANY of you think I'm kidding, this has become an UNBELIEVABLE problem at the HS level. Coaches pushing players (both male and female) into weight rooms to lift more and more, loading their spine, to the point they have a RASH of stress fractures.

I could tell HORROR stories about this until I bore you all to death.

Suffice it to say, one of my own suffered, and the more parents I talked to (from MANY schools), the more I was dismayed.

Unfortunately, I think it's going to take a class action lawsuit to stop this crap.

Sorry, but (obviously) this is a problem that hits VERY close to home.
Strictly a guess, but wonder if it is mostly incompetence in correct technique that drives them to higher numbers?

Strictly a guess, but wonder if it is mostly incompetence in correct technique that drives them to higher numbers?

TJ, I think it's a number of factors.

One, I think they put too many kids in the "Advanced P.E." classes for proper supervision.
Two, when they get supervision, they're supervised by people who think "more is better", instead of "better is better."
Three, I do NOT believe the kids are getting "sport-specific" training. An elite volleyball player has different development needs than a football player. A baseball player has different development needs than a wrestler. Yet, they frequently throw all the kids together, in an over-crowded class, and demand they do the SAME lifts.

Yes, I think there could be some level of incompetence. But, I also think there's a "chase" of the "bigger/stronger" mentality that ultimately hurts the kids.

I have SOOOOOOOOOOOO many anecdotes that would make your head swim.

No IHSAA sport requires a building teacher, or even a teachers license to be a head coach—hasn’t for some time. Lay coach must take a handful of certification classes, but that’s it.

Unless things have changed in the last 8 years (when I coached HS soccer in Indiana), coaches are not required to be teachers, for any sport. The position must be offered first to faculty, but if no suitable candidate is found, it is then opened up to the general public. In the school system I coached in (which is more restrictive than most), they preferred a teacher within the school system first, a teacher in any school system second, a licensed coach through a governing body third and finally someone with experience fourth. When Kristoff's father coached at the same school as myself, he was hired as an Asst. AD. I would assume something similar with the younger Kendrick.

TJ, I think it's a number of factors.

One, I think they put too many kids in the "Advanced P.E." classes for proper supervision.
Two, when they get supervision, they're supervised by people who think "more is better", instead of "better is better."
Three, I do NOT believe the kids are getting "sport-specific" training. An elite volleyball player has different development needs than a football player. A baseball player has different development needs than a wrestler. Yet, they frequently throw all the kids together, in an over-crowded class, and demand they do the SAME lifts.

Yes, I think there could be some level of incompetence. But, I also think there's a "chase" of the "bigger/stronger" mentality that ultimately hurts the kids.

I have SOOOOOOOOOOOO many anecdotes that would make your head swim.
No question each sport has different moves or lifts that are needed. Once "advanced P.E". is offered I'm sure coaches push their players towards it and if the right moves are not watched kids can hurt themselves...or as you say get hung up on beating numbers even though they might be better off refining the moves with lower numbers... :(

Unless things have changed in the last 8 years (when I coached HS soccer in Indiana), coaches are not required to be teachers, for any sport. The position must be offered first to faculty, but if no suitable candidate is found, it is then opened up to the general public. In the school system I coached in (which is more restrictive than most), they preferred a teacher within the school system first, a teacher in any school system second, a licensed coach through a governing body third and finally someone with experience fourth. When Kristoff's father coached at the same school as myself, he was hired as an Asst. AD. I would assume something similar with the younger Kendrick.
Well as I pointed out, men's basketball is or at least was a sacred cow and either that person has a teaching certification or is employed by the school. I could never be the head coach although I could be the asst varsity years ago in basketball. No problem if I wanted to be JV coach and not be a teacher. However, your pecking order is how it was. It is just that in Indiana...basketball, and it used to be football for men, had a different criteria to coach. As I said basketball in Indiana "used" to require a minor or major in P.E. where other states did not have that requirement. Basil Mawbey and Kathy Layden both coached at schools they were not employed at one time, but both were employed in a school system and I know Kathy had an El ed degree.

That is not the case. We have a teacher at HHS who is the girls basketball coach at Frontier. The girls basketball coach here a few years ago was also not teaching at HHS. The current volleyball coach is not on staff in TSC.

That is not the case. We have a teacher at HHS who is the girls basketball coach at Frontier. The girls basketball coach here a few years ago was also not teaching at HHS. The current volleyball coach is not on staff in TSC.
As I said, I feel like Rip Van Winkle.

Sometimes lifting injuries are not solely on the coaches/supervisors. Listen, the male species had this certain attribute that can get the best of us at ALL/ANY time(s). It's called ego.

It's the nature of being competitive. I've seen teachers set out the weight for the kids and say do this for 5 sets, 8 reps, primarily squatting. One kid goes above and beyond and does it for 12 reps. His buddy does 13, so he HAS to out lift him at 14, so on so forth. Muscle fatigue kicks in, next thing you know you hurt your back and it lingers for months but you are too competitive to rest because you'll miss some games. Then you fracture/tear something. Then the kid doesn't want to blame himself, who does? That's the hard thing to do. I'll just blame my coach or weight room attendant for not holding my hand.

Now that's not always the case, but it's also not never the case (if that makes sense?)

That said, I know a lot of athletic coaches who have completely eliminated squatting because of the injuries involved. Not only that but heavy squats are not good for you. Your bone structure and spine is only meant to have so much weight on it, regardless of how muscular you are. Too much weight compresses your spine. You may not feel it for 10 years, but when you do, you'll never be the same, and it's a WHEN, not an IF.

Sometimes lifting injuries are not solely on the coaches/supervisors. Listen, the male species had this certain attribute that can get the best of us at ALL/ANY time(s). It's called ego.

It's the nature of being competitive. I've seen teachers set out the weight for the kids and say do this for 5 sets, 8 reps, primarily squatting. One kid goes above and beyond and does it for 12 reps. His buddy does 13, so he HAS to out lift him at 14, so on so forth. Muscle fatigue kicks in, next thing you know you hurt your back and it lingers for months but you are too competitive to rest because you'll miss some games. Then you fracture/tear something. Then the kid doesn't want to blame himself, who does? That's the hard thing to do. I'll just blame my coach or weight room attendant for not holding my hand.

Now that's not always the case, but it's also not never the case (if that makes sense?)

That said, I know a lot of athletic coaches who have completely eliminated squatting because of the injuries involved. Not only that but heavy squats are not good for you. Your bone structure and spine is only meant to have so much weight on it, regardless of how muscular you are. Too much weight compresses your spine. You may not feel it for 10 years, but when you do, you'll never be the same, and it's a WHEN, not an IF.
Hopefully all those people required a belt for all squats and yes...like in academics and actually playing ...the individual controls a lot!

I'm not sure, but I'm assuming your post is in response to my post above. If so, and with respect, I don't recall there ever being an "always" in this discussion, as in "injuries are always on the coaches/supervisors."

HOWEVER ... ! ... when there is a rash, yes, a RASH, of lower back injuries (specifically, L5)??? Yes. I'm going to place that SQUARELY at the feet of coaches/supervisors. What's more, I have personally spoken with prominent orthopedic surgeons at the most respected facilities in central Indiana. When THEY tell me there's a problem, you're d@mn straight I'm going to listen.

My kids attended a well-known, large school in central IN. Athlete after athlete after athlete have had the same d@mn injury ... L5 stress fracture.

When I go to watch my kid pitch against ANOTHER prominent HS in central IN, and I just happen to strike up a conversation with the father of starting pitcher for the other team, and he's excited to watch his son because it's his son's first game back... after healing from an L5 stress fracture? And then HE tells me about the rash of L5 stress fractures in their program?

Brother, there's a problem. Again, with respect, do with that you choose, but those L5 injuries aren't just random injuries from just "being competitive."

I'm not sure, but I'm assuming your post is in response to my post above. If so, and with respect, I don't recall there ever being an "always" in this discussion, as in "injuries are always on the coaches/supervisors."

HOWEVER ... ! ... when there is a rash, yes, a RASH, of lower back injuries (specifically, L5)??? Yes. I'm going to place that SQUARELY at the feet of coaches/supervisors. What's more, I have personally spoken with prominent orthopedic surgeons at the most respected facilities in central Indiana. When THEY tell me there's a problem, you're d@mn straight I'm going to listen.

My kids attended a well-known, large school in central IN. Athlete after athlete after athlete have had the same d@mn injury ... L5 stress fracture.

When I go to watch my kid pitch against ANOTHER prominent HS in central IN, and I just happen to strike up a conversation with the father of starting pitcher for the other team, and he's excited to watch his son because it's his son's first game back... after healing from an L5 stress fracture? And then HE tells me about the rash of L5 stress fractures in their program?

Brother, there's a problem. Again, with respect, do with that you choose, but those L5 injuries aren't just random injuries from just "being competitive."

I'm not saying there aren't certain cases where it is SOLELY the coaches fault, but when you're dealing with strength training, injuries WILL happen... You can have the best trainer in the world, but if the kid isn't emotionally and physically ready for the lift in that specific moment, it can hurt him, especially with squats, which is the primary lift that is injury prone. Sounds like the kids at your said school were either being pushed too far by egotistical strength coaches, or were so exhausted from a physically heavy workload.

Again, I just want reiterate that I wasn't saying it's the kids fault everytime.

I'm not saying there aren't certain cases where it is SOLELY the coaches fault, but when you're dealing with strength training, injuries WILL happen... You can have the best trainer in the world, but if the kid isn't emotionally and physically ready for the lift in that specific moment, it can hurt him, especially with squats, which is the primary lift that is injury prone. Sounds like the kids at your said school were either being pushed too far by egotistical strength coaches, or were so exhausted from a physically heavy workload.

Again, I just want reiterate that I wasn't saying it's the kids fault everytime.

Appreciate your follow up and feedback. I really do. I will also readily admit this is personal for me, as it is for a variety of people in the community (not just in my kids' school system.)

I don't know where this "every time" stuff came into play. Until your prior post, I didn't think of blaming any side/group "every time". I don't think general injuries are anyone's fault ... all ... the ... time. Ever. Yes, injuries happen. But, when SPECIFIC injuries are happening at an alarming rate, (and, pardon me for saying this) only an idiot would bury his/her head in the sand. That seems to be what's happening at the HS level.

What's more, I documented that it's happening at more than just my kids' school. Some of the best orthopedic surgeons in the world are in my back yard, and I'm not sure if you caught it, but I also noted that THEY are saying it's a problem.

One anecdote I didn't mention in prior posts... I saw a short video posted on twitter. It was a "personal best" attempt from a football player at my kids' HS. He was supervised, and had loaded up the barbell. His peers were cheering him on. He lifted, and in one telling moment, did EVERYTHING WRONG, which could have (might have?) resulted in the immense strain which could have caused the same problem. To your point, sometimes it's the kids. Sometimes it's the kids without proper supervision. BUT, this should never, EVER happen in a HS weight room.

I'm not sure if this is hitting close to home for you or not. If so, I'm not indicting you, your profession, or your personal interests. Make no mistake, this is a problem, one in which nobody seems to be dealing with (or addressing) right now, and it seems to be solely for the sake of making HS student/athletes bigger, faster, stronger.

I love competition, and I love the pursuit of self-improvement. Let's be smart about it.

Appreciate your follow up and feedback. I really do. I will also readily admit this is personal for me, as it is for a variety of people in the community (not just in my kids' school system.)

I don't know where this "every time" stuff came into play. Until your prior post, I didn't think of blaming any side/group "every time". I don't think general injuries are anyone's fault ... all ... the ... time. Ever. Yes, injuries happen. But, when SPECIFIC injuries are happening at an alarming rate, (and, pardon me for saying this) only an idiot would bury his/her head in the sand. That seems to be what's happening at the HS level.

What's more, I documented that it's happening at more than just my kids' school. Some of the best orthopedic surgeons in the world are in my back yard, and I'm not sure if you caught it, but I also noted that THEY are saying it's a problem.

One anecdote I didn't mention in prior posts... I saw a short video posted on twitter. It was a "personal best" attempt from a football player at my kids' HS. He was supervised, and had loaded up the barbell. His peers were cheering him on. He lifted, and in one telling moment, did EVERYTHING WRONG, which could have (might have?) resulted in the immense strain which could have caused the same problem. To your point, sometimes it's the kids. Sometimes it's the kids without proper supervision. BUT, this should never, EVER happen in a HS weight room.

I'm not sure if this is hitting close to home for you or not. If so, I'm not indicting you, your profession, or your personal interests. Make no mistake, this is a problem, one in which nobody seems to be dealing with (or addressing) right now, and it seems to be solely for the sake of making HS student/athletes bigger, faster, stronger.

I love competition, and I love the pursuit of self-improvement. Let's be smart about it.
Yes, patterns can provide some insight that a problem exists differently at one variable than another. I wonder if the injuries were more egotistical supervision or really bad technique by that coach or supervisor....or both? A guy I'm familiar with didn't want anything over the spine until in the teens and then only with belt and proper technique. I admit I couldn't properly teach weight training. Anecdotally, it seems that some of these people converse with others, read things and then consider themselves "learned"...not a lot different than some posting opinions in social media.. ;)

I won't get into calling anyone an idiot here, but I referred to myself when I reiterated it's not always the coaches fault, never quoted you (if I did I had no intention).

If it's a problem at every school in your region, I'd definitely look into the strength program. Not saying it IS that, because injuries can stem from what you're eating on a daily basis. But how do you not look into that, and when all options are exhausted, someones gotta take the blame. We live in a sue happy world, so as long as the schools or administration can find a slimy avenue to blame someone but themselves, they will, and won't care one bit if they know your innocent or not.

That said, how did you feel about our very own ALL American, R. Moore (170 pounds) squatting 600 pounds as an incoming freshman last summer? It was all over ESPN. Should someone be held accountable for not only allowing him, but actually cheering him on? Because that lift does absolutely nothing to better him as WR. It was all for the ego. I understand it's not a HS gym, but STUDENT athlete, right? Is there that much difference in a kid from May (HS SR.), to July(college FR)?(Other than legal rights, anatomically, there's very little to nothing).

I understand your situation affected you harsher than others...But, health care is one of the most dirty businesses out there. They don't care about you... They won't help pay your bills if you can't work for a month or 2, so if telling you something is going to get more visits from other people in the area, that's what they'll do. Don't read too much into that last sentence, there's no hidden agenda there.

Now, again by no way am I saying this is your case. I'm just trying to give you both sides of the story, because when something impacts someone directly like in your case, it's VERY easy to be completely one sided on a topic, but heresay is a dangerous road to count your chickens with.

I won't bicker back and forth anymore... So I just want to end with, I'm sorry your situation happened the way it did, I hope everyone involved learns from it.

I won't get into calling anyone an idiot here, but I referred to myself when I reiterated it's not always the coaches fault, never quoted you (if I did I had no intention).

If it's a problem at every school in your region, I'd definitely look into the strength program. Not saying it IS that, because injuries can stem from what you're eating on a daily basis. But how do you not look into that, and when all options are exhausted, someones gotta take the blame. We live in a sue happy world, so as long as the schools or administration can find a slimy avenue to blame someone but themselves, they will, and won't care one bit if they know your innocent or not.

That said, how did you feel about our very own ALL American, R. Moore (170 pounds) squatting 600 pounds as an incoming freshman last summer? It was all over ESPN. Should someone be held accountable for not only allowing him, but actually cheering him on? Because that lift does absolutely nothing to better him as WR. It was all for the ego. I understand it's not a HS gym, but STUDENT athlete, right? Is there that much difference in a kid from May (HS SR.), to July(college FR)?(Other than legal rights, anatomically, there's very little to nothing).

I understand your situation affected you harsher than others...But, health care is one of the most dirty businesses out there. They don't care about you... They won't help pay your bills if you can't work for a month or 2, so if telling you something is going to get more visits from other people in the area, that's what they'll do. Don't read too much into that last sentence, there's no hidden agenda there.

Now, again by no way am I saying this is your case. I'm just trying to give you both sides of the story, because when something impacts someone directly like in your case, it's VERY easy to be completely one sided on a topic, but heresay is a dangerous road to count your chickens with.

I won't bicker back and forth anymore... So I just want to end with, I'm sorry your situation happened the way it did, I hope everyone involved learns from it.

Okay. I'm really surprised by your follow up, and your continued pursuit of this.

First, I wasn't calling you an idiot. I thought that should have been clear, by the way I worded the sentence. Apparently it was not. The "idiots" are the people associated with HS athletics that continue to watch a RASH of these injuries occur and do nothing.

For some reason you continue to want to dismiss this... or excuse it away. It is inexcusable. Again, I'm talking about SPECIFIC injuries. It has nothing... NOTHING... ZERO to do with nutrition.

Rondale?? What the??? ... I have nothing... NOTHING against lifting. So, why bring Rondale into the discussion? Was his technique flawed? Was he injured? (Uh, no... and no.)

And, I couldn't disagree more with your take on health care. All the health professionals I've encountered in the past few years have been caring professionals. That includes the orthopedic surgeon treating my first child, who counseled the parents for the 2nd child (another story). It also includes the many health professionals treating my father for a life-threatening diagnosis (low-survival cancer).

I understand "both sides" of the story. I also understand the problem with weight lifting classes that have FAR too many kids for one person to supervise effectively.

You're fine with the rash of kids who will have to deal with an "injury" the rest of their lives. I'm not. What's happening shouldn't be happening. You can excuse it away all you. But.... again... when orthopedic surgeons talk of (what amounts to) an epidemic, you might want to drop the defensiveness and open your mind.

Ahhhh... Silly me

Anything you say is right...
Anything I say is wrong...

What was I thinking?!?!?!

The epidemic though!!.

And it's all too funny... You tell me to "open my mind", while in hind sight, I'm giving you other options of what COULD be the reason, yet you're DEADSET in your approach that "it has to be the coach/teachers fault."

So it's okay to have students squat 3+ times their body weight, while the coach is cheering you on...As long as they don't get injured?

But you're going to complain about kids who get injured squatting?

Take care P85, I'm out, seriously this time, lol.

Ahhhh... Silly me

Anything you say is right...
Anything I say is wrong...

What was I thinking?!?!?!

The epidemic though!!.

And it's all too funny... You tell me to "open my mind", while in hind sight, I'm giving you other options of what COULD be the reason, yet you're DEADSET in your approach that "it has to be the coach/teachers fault."

So it's okay to have students squat 3+ times their body weight, while the coach is cheering you on...As long as they don't get injured?

But you're going to complain about kids who get injured squatting?

Take care P85, I'm out, seriously this time, lol.
nahhh... that's okay.

It's the players diet. That's it.

And, Rondale.

Good grief. What's wrong with these athletes? RONDALE!

And the DOCTORS. Bunch of orthopedic surgeons. They're clueless! They think there's a problem. They should talk to you. That's it. You have all the answers.

A rash of fractured L5's... and you're good with it. Pshhhhhhhhhhh.... those injured athletes... a bunch of sissies.

Last edited:

Gotta make sure you don't give up the notebook of them, though. ;)

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT