ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is G&B Downsizing?

Charts and grids are a convenience issue for me. I can find free depth charts dozens of places the week of a game. But spring, summer, or fall camp.. there used to be a convenient link at the top of the page to the latest projected depth chart. Was disappointed to see that go away.

The bigger one is the film break down. I'm not big on interviews or 40k foot analysis. Find a former coach or player with a modicum of tech saavy to moonlight and post weekly breakdown of a handful of key plays after each game. Take me into the mind of the play caller. Detail specific assignments and comment on the level of execution. Show me where we find advantages and where the areas of improvement are.

To be clear I'm not discontent with GBI, just stating what it would take for someone like me to see value in a pay membership.
The removal of depth chart and roster was a rivals thing, not GBI.

As for analysis, i get it. Maybe the new guy will pick up where Stacy left off.

miss it too
RIP lightfoot

boilerD, bwarniby(sp)... they on khc or by another name?

you, nat, ossim, nags(bball) are some here,
see Cody on other site sometimes

Did he actually die or just fade away from the forum? I'm sorry to hear it if it's the former. Lightfoot was a weird dude, but I seem to recall that he was a teacher and a family man.

Pretty sure this is him. Died in December 2012 at age 50. That's too bad. Rest in peace fellow Steelers fan.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/123139611/scott-lightfoot
It is. The smile is the same and he was from Elkhart. Sad news, I always liked Scott. I remember coming back from class and he was out in the middle of the quad just BOOMING punts, he was thinking about trying to walk on the team as a kicker. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Saw the topic of this thread posted on another site and I can't say that I am surprised to see the site losing people. I wouldn't be shocked if the whole thing didn't shut down shortly because sites like these are not how things are done anymore.

I also am wondering if this site is even the number one Purdue fan location either as more people are using twitter/phone apps/etc because the information flows much faster. There have been quite a few times recently that Purdue news was reported elsewhere first before it was here and that includes the pay site. And I know that because I chat with people that post on the pay and other means I mentioned above and have been told a few times that information has come out well in advance of GBI.

That isn't GBI's fault however, that is just the times we live in. Information is readily available and paying for it doesn't get you much over that anymore. These sites had their day, but things change and eventually even the current methods that have begun to take this site's place, will become obsolete.

$99/yr is not a lot of money and pretty reasonable for the premium content that is provided. But it’s a matter of patience I guess, most of the premie stuff ends up over here or on twitter (but generally with less detail) within a few days or hours anyway.

It’s 27 cents a day. You can’t drive your car a couple miles, buy a cup of coffee or get a pack of gum for that. If you claim to be a Purdue fan and refuse to buy premium you are fooling yourself!

Last edited:
If you claim to be a Purdue fan and refuse to buy premium you are fooling yourself!
Not accurate. I know for a fact that other social media outlets often break stories and info before GBI has them as part of their paid membership.

I can't of course link them here because of the TOS and they reveal premium content, but they are google searchable. Once you see it and then see the posters that respond that used to have paid or shortly after got rid of their paid membership, you will see that sites like this are a dying breed.

I don't have any issue with people paying to be here, that is your choice, but to say it is somehow determining your level of Purdue fandom is ludicrous and is just an attempt to justify your expense.

Not accurate. I know for a fact that other social media outlets often break stories and info before GBI has them as part of their paid membership.

I can't of course link them here because of the TOS and they reveal premium content, but they are google searchable. Once you see it and then see the posters that respond that used to have paid or shortly after got rid of their paid membership, you will see that sites like this are a dying breed.

I don't have any issue with people paying to be here, that is your choice, but to say it is somehow determining your level of Purdue fandom is ludicrous and is just an attempt to justify your expense.

Twenty seven cents a day!

It’s 27 cents a day. You can’t drive your car a couple miles, buy a cup of coffee or get a pack of gum for that. If you claim to be a Purdue fan and refuse to buy premium you are fooling yourself!

I drive my car minimum, its been months since I bought a cup of coffee, and don't buy gum. I have dozens of expenses I can make the same arguments here for far more meaningful "disposable" expenses (putting money away for my kid's college, donating, retirement, etc.). It may seem like a small amount to you, but we all have to live within our own means and have our own priorities even though everyone here is a true Purdue fan. I have paid the premium before and agree I get my info quicker from other sources. I do enjoy the print version of G&B but do not have time to sit and read it all the way through anymore and still get the much of the same info from other sources. As described above we are living in a different time. I don't pay the $99 but am a true Purdue sports fan, and the fact I donate well more than the $99 directly to Purdue, am a season ticket holder in basketball, and attend multiple football games each year is testament to that.

ADVERTISEMENT