ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is G&B Downsizing?

Do we not generate enough traffic to justify our own site? With the merger will we also see a name change and IU teasers on the front page?

This promotion they're running for 5 weeks free access. A. Karpick was on the radio today saying Purdue has the 2nd most apps for this promo to
S. Carolina.

I would have done the promo, but I would have forgotten to unsubscribe and would have ended up paying for it anyway. This is probably the best time to have it though.

If the free board disentigrated, I imagine twitter would fully takeover my Purdue interaction. When I have the time, I do enjoy hunting for information occasionally. There are a lot of good twitter follows with loads of information and updates.

Of all the pay to play information, Gold and Black would be the most worth it. Purdue is the only college team I follow. I love interviews with recruits, incoming players, and coaches. Unfortunately, not enough to cough up the money for it. To be fair, if I was rich I probably would.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
I would have done the promo, but I would have forgotten to unsubscribe and would have ended up paying for it anyway. This is probably the best time to have it though.

If the free board disentigrated, I imagine twitter would fully takeover my Purdue interaction. When I have the time, I do enjoy hunting for information occasionally. There are a lot of good twitter follows with loads of information and updates.

Of all the pay to play information, Gold and Black would be the most worth it. Purdue is the only college team I follow. I love interviews with recruits, incoming players, and coaches. Unfortunately, not enough to cough up the money for it. To be fair, if I was rich I probably would.
$99/yr is not a lot of money and pretty reasonable for the premium content that is provided. But it’s a matter of patience I guess, most of the premie stuff ends up over here or on twitter (but generally with less detail) within a few days or hours anyway.

Travis Miller is just aching to respond to this post.....

He can ache. With them, my experience has not been a good one. When someone has a product to sell (a website, for example) I don't suffer arrogance.

I'll not be a consumer of their site. Someone who says, "screw you" to generic feedback doesn't deserve to have my time or my clicks.

So if this forum shuts down there is no other options for boilers chats?

One will come up. Most people will no longer pay for news they can get elsewhere for free. My guess is that those still paying are probably the ones still paying for the Star and complaining about bias. As more and more of those fans ease into the fixed income ages, paid subscribers will dry up entirely.

Is there an IT guy, or whoever willing to take it on, on here that wants to start a forum? I'm sure there are a few respected guys on here that would be willing to moderate. I'm on a forum from this site, and I know there are others as well.
https://www.phpbb.com/
It says free. But I know some of these free sites can have small fees, I believe the one I posted is free. But if there is a small fee I would be willing to contribute $5 or $10 a year if that would help. Maybe more.

Is there an IT guy, or whoever willing to take it on, on here that wants to start a forum? I'm sure there are a few respected guys on here that would be willing to moderate. I'm on a forum from this site, and I know there are others as well.
https://www.phpbb.com/
It says free. But I know some of these free sites can have small fees, I believe the one I posted is free. But if there is a small fee I would be willing to contribute $5 or $10 a year if that would help. Maybe more.
You don't even have to be an IT guy to start a forum. There are lots of existing places that could be used, like reddit, where subforums can be created and used for free for discussing Purdue sports.

Reactions: boilerrick240
Lol, you guys are overreacting. Rivals wont let this shut down. Even the IU site lived on after Peegs bolted for Scout.

Too many cheap bastards only using the free board, so something had to give...

I'll admit; I'm one of the cheap bastards. I first came over here in 2012 when the Lafayette Journal and Courier shut down their forums. At first I wasn't that involved. I thought that if I bought a membership I'd feel compelled to spend more time on the site to get my money's worth. Then the Hazell years came, and there wasn't too much to get excited about. But now that the future looks bright for both football and basketball maybe it's time to jump on board.

Reactions: BoilerBloodline
I'll admit; I'm one of the cheap bastards. I first came over here in 2012 when the Lafayette Journal and Courier shut down their forums. At first I wasn't that involved. I thought that if I bought a membership I'd feel compelled to spend more time on the site to get my money's worth. Then the Hazell years came, and there wasn't too much to get excited about. But now that the future looks bright for both football and basketball maybe it's time to jump on board.
I'm doing the 5 week free trial right now. Definitely has its perks. Maybe slightly less childish arguing but it still exists. Oh and no Treed. ++

Reactions: rgarlitz

I remember the good old days of the jc. Memories.

I'm doing the 5 week free trial right now. Definitely has its perks. Maybe slightly less childish arguing but it still exists. Oh and no Treed. ++

Now is probably the worst time too since recruiting is slowing down and we have a month until training camp. It’s well worth the $10 during football/b-ball seasons, and especially when recruiting is in full swing. Plus you get to read the premium articles from every other rivals site, which can be interesting.

Just cut back on 2 Starbucks trips per month and it’s paid for...

Reactions: BoilerBloodline
Now is probably the worst time too since recruiting is slowing down and we have a month until training camp. It’s well worth the $10 during football/b-ball seasons, and especially when recruiting is in full swing. Plus you get to read the premium articles from every other rivals site, which can be interesting.

Just cut back on 2 Starbucks trips per month and it’s paid for...
I agree the timing isn't great but I don't complain about free things. Might try to squeeze it in the budget when the free trial is done.

I have simple demands when it comes to pay content. Provide intelligent break down of game film and up-to-date depth charts/scholarship grids... and you can have my $.

Reactions: Moverb
I have simple demands when it comes to pay content. Provide intelligent break down of game film and up-to-date depth charts/scholarship grids... and you can have my $.
I'm new to the pay side so I can't for sure speak to this but apparently Stacy, who is leaving GBI, was incredible at breaking down practices and games and relaying that information. May be worth your $.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Depth charts are available in the weekly game notes. Doesnt seem like a good use of GBI time.

Scholarship grid, sure.

Depth charts are available in the weekly game notes. Doesnt seem like a good use of GBI time.

Scholarship grid, sure.
Charts and grids are a convenience issue for me. I can find free depth charts dozens of places the week of a game. But spring, summer, or fall camp.. there used to be a convenient link at the top of the page to the latest projected depth chart. Was disappointed to see that go away.

The bigger one is the film break down. I'm not big on interviews or 40k foot analysis. Find a former coach or player with a modicum of tech saavy to moonlight and post weekly breakdown of a handful of key plays after each game. Take me into the mind of the play caller. Detail specific assignments and comment on the level of execution. Show me where we find advantages and where the areas of improvement are.

To be clear I'm not discontent with GBI, just stating what it would take for someone like me to see value in a pay membership.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT