ADVERTISEMENT

OT Gerad Parker

May 29, 2001
Hey guys, Glad that Brohm had the sense to realize that Purdue is the place he should be! I mean come on, louisville sucks ha. Anyway, can anyone share thoughts on Gerad Parker? Psu just hired him as WR coach. I know about his dui after he left Purdue. Looking to get some info on his coaching and recruiting. Thanks guys, have a great offseason!

Hey guys, Glad that Brohm had the sense to realize that Purdue is the place he should be! I mean come on, louisville sucks ha. Anyway, can anyone share thoughts on Gerad Parker? Psu just hired him as WR coach. I know about his dui after he left Purdue. Looking to get some info on his coaching and recruiting. Thanks guys, have a great offseason!
Implicated, but never charged, in several grisly homicides known in the area as "The Captain Crunch Murders".

Kiiiidding.

The guy had a lot of heart and spirit and really tried to make a go of it. He was hamstrung by minimal talent for the type of system his predecessor wanted to run (and hasn't worked at Purdue since I've been alive). A some of us (me, in particular) were pulling for him to pull the miracle turn around and maybe get a shot at the HC spot, but it was fairly evident pretty early that wasn't going to happen.

Good wr coach. Not enough data to tell how well he recruited

I hope he does well.Gerard gave it all he had in his short time at Purdue and I wish him only the best.

Reactions: Frankie611
Yeah, seemed like an energetic guy. Did the best he could with the limited resources and bad system he was dealt.

I recall the players seemed to really like him. There was some kind of Dabo connection too, IIRC.

Gerard is a good young coach, does a good job recruiting. Wish Purdue could have kept him in some capacity.

IMO, he was the only decent coach on Hazell's staff. Players did seem to really like him. Our recruiting was so bad during those years that no one would know if he was good or not. I feel like he'd be a coordinator by now if he didn't get that DUI, but Penn State looks like a good jump for him.

IMO, he was the only decent coach on Hazell's staff. Players did seem to really like him. Our recruiting was so bad during those years that no one would know if he was good or not. I feel like he'd be a coordinator by now if he didn't get that DUI, but Penn State looks like a good jump for him.

Freeman was good too

Reactions: pboiler18
What about Weird Beard?

Implicated, but never charged, in several grisly homicides known in the area as "The Captain Crunch Murders".

Kiiiidding.

The guy had a lot of heart and spirit and really tried to make a go of it. He was hamstrung by minimal talent for the type of system his predecessor wanted to run (and hasn't worked at Purdue since I've been alive). A some of us (me, in particular) were pulling for him to pull the miracle turn around and maybe get a shot at the HC spot, but it was fairly evident pretty early that wasn't going to happen.
Captain Crunch, Count Chocula, and Frankenberry have all gone missing. Police officials say that they suspect that they're dealing with a cereal killer.
;)

I'm sorry. I'll try to not let that happen again. :(

Reactions: Frankie611
Captain Crunch, Count Chocula, and Frankenberry have all gone missing. Police officials say that they suspect that they're dealing with a cereal killer.
;)

I'm sorry. I'll try to not let that happen again. :(
No worries! I actually debated using Count Chocula or Frankenberry, believe it or not. I thought the Cap'n had more of an impact. :)

Reactions: Bayou Boiler
He was okay. Never thought the linebackers were coached all that well while he was here.

Parker was fine, but no reason to keep him around after Brohm was fired.
So Brohm has now been fired?

I think Dabo called him when he took over for Hazell to encourage him as an interim coach and it hit the press. Not sure there was any real connection other than that but I may be mistaken

As I recall the Dabo "cnx" was a similarity of circumstance. Both were young WR coaches on teams where the HC was fired mid-season. Each was selected from the remaining staff to be interim HC for the remainder of the season. At that point, of course, the stories start to differ. Dabo, at Clemson, showed enough that he got the top gig. Gerad, thru no fault of his own as he had nothing to work with, did not. It was very classy of Dabo to contact Gerad, given the similarities and try to encourage him. That contact was widely reported at the time and speaks very well for Mr Sweeney. Very glad to see Parker get a solid gig and another chance. I am sure that all Purdue fans wish him success from here on out. He's done his time in hell- good luck, sir!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT