ADVERTISEMENT

(OT) Ashamed of DePauw

Apr 12, 2012
St. Louis
www.actionflow.net
Way off topic. The only tie-in is the state of Indiana and the fact that I formerly had DePauw for my avatar. I graduated from DePauw, but my dad and brother went to Purdue. So, Purdue has always been my Division I school.

I just removed my DePauw icon for my avatar.

I don't know how many of you heard about the antics at DePauw the past year, but it's become a haven of administrators chasing their own tail of political correctness. I believe current administration is doing serious damage to the students there. Here's the message the current administration is effectively sending:

If your feelings get hurt, the proper response is to violently tear down those that hurt your feelings, and then try to stifle conversation, legislate laws and change the world so that your feelings never get hurt again.

A terrible message to convey.

Way off topic. The only tie-in is the state of Indiana and the fact that I formerly had DePauw for my avatar. I graduated from DePauw, but my dad and brother went to Purdue. So, Purdue has always been my Division I school.

I don't know how many of you heard about the antics at DePauw the past year, but it's become a haven of administrators chasing their own tail of political correctness. I believe current administration is doing serious damage to the students there. Here's the message the current administration is effectively sending:

If your feelings get hurt, the proper response is to violently tear down those that hurt your feelings, and then try to stifle conversation, legislate laws and change the world so that your feelings never get hurt again.

That, unfortunately, is the new norm for colleges and universities. This isn't the forum for politics, but.....

And to look for an opportunity to be outraged wherever you can find it. Don’t let any opportunity pass. Then, when you’ve settled on some things that outrage you, find someone to blame. Those blamables must have terrible motives. It’s not possible they are self-interested humans just like you, and might have a different experience or point of view. Whatever you do, don’t stop finding ways to be outraged.

And to look for an opportunity to be outraged wherever you can find it. Don’t let any opportunity pass. Then, when you’ve settled on some things that outrage you, find someone to blame. Those blamables must have terrible motives. It’s not possible they are self-interested humans just like you, and might have a different experience or point of view. Whatever you do, don’t stop finding ways to be outraged.
Thankfully, I preferred beer and females over yelling at Reverend Max.

Are you sure it wasn't meant to be sarcasm? It is so over the top extreme, that's how I would have read it.

Wow what a bunch of bull shit!

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I’d love to let this die but it’s damn near 3:30 and I can’t not hop in so watch out ladies.

Look. You shouldn’t be letting this type of writing dictate your behavior. You understand that this entire article was written to make you feel like the victim and to get you riled up, don’t you? Referring to the REAL minorities who had been discriminated against as “bullies” who were in “fits of rage”, constantly using the word “evil” to describe administrators trying to address the situation, and even suggesting that a minority organization planted an under cover agent to provoke the whole thing.

Come. On.

These articles are written to incite unnecessary rage and to herd the sheep. Are you actually mad that the DePauw administration is making an effort to address FOUR separate incidents? Do you feel like your personal liberties are at stake because a few minorities spoke up after they were actually victims of hatred?

I’m not a dirty hippie liberal snowflake. So save it. In fact these types of issues should never have become a republican vs democrat, liberal vs conservative shit fest. Take a neutral approach, go through some facts, and think for yourself. Then you could even take it a step further by not spreading divisive crap like this article. Everyone has their own opinions and truths, right or wrong. Most are far less extreme and divisive than this, and yet this stuff is still the main source of information for too many people. Don’t be a sheep!

Sigh. It’s officially almost 4am and I am now the outraged one, all riled up by something I saw on the internet.

Damn you.

Need to post this on the general forum. A lot of regular posters will enjoy this. They mostly do not like our current president.

I’d love to let this die but it’s damn near 3:30 and I can’t not hop in so watch out ladies.

Look. You shouldn’t be letting this type of writing dictate your behavior. You understand that this entire article was written to make you feel like the victim and to get you riled up, don’t you? Referring to the REAL minorities who had been discriminated against as “bullies” who were in “fits of rage”, constantly using the word “evil” to describe administrators trying to address the situation, and even suggesting that a minority organization planted an under cover agent to provoke the whole thing.

Come. On.

These articles are written to incite unnecessary rage and to herd the sheep. Are you actually mad that the DePauw administration is making an effort to address FOUR separate incidents? Do you feel like your personal liberties are at stake because a few minorities spoke up after they were actually victims of hatred?

I’m not a dirty hippie liberal snowflake. So save it. In fact these types of issues should never have become a republican vs democrat, liberal vs conservative shit fest. Take a neutral approach, go through some facts, and think for yourself. Then you could even take it a step further by not spreading divisive crap like this article. Everyone has their own opinions and truths, right or wrong. Most are far less extreme and divisive than this, and yet this stuff is still the main source of information for too many people. Don’t be a sheep!

Sigh. It’s officially almost 4am and I am now the outraged one, all riled up by something I saw on the internet.

Damn you.
Racism is wrong, we all know that...and I REALLY like your comment to not be a sheep as it addresses soooooooo much more than these incidents that I believe are not truly reflective of the DePauw student. However, "group thought" which is an example of being a sheep is systemically propagated on college campuses. It is the NORM masked by words, but confirmed by actions. We need less group thought and more individual thought as the poor youth are like a sponge trying to absorb all they can during these influential years.

Reactions: jimsil13
Racism is wrong, we all know that...and I REALLY like your comment to not be a sheep as it addresses soooooooo much more than these incidents that I believe are not truly reflective of the DePauw student. However, "group thought" which is an example of being a sheep is systemically propagated on college campuses. It is the NORM masked by words, but confirmed by actions. We need less group thought and more individual thought as the poor youth are like a sponge trying to absorb all they can during these influential years.
I agree with this.

But I have to ask ahb131 a question. What "unnecessary rage" has been incited by the link? And what real rage was exhibited at the university? To invent an act of rage that has not happened while ignoring real acts of rage that have happened is unfair. And don't tell me that acts of rage incited by writings on a bathroom wall are justified. I have news for you. Bathroom walls were NEVER a source of beautiful poetry, fine art, highbrow literature, or advanced thinking. They are written to evoke the lowest forms of outrage. This has been happening since the invention of the public restroom. Anyone who leaves a public restroom stall and is so personally insulted by words they found there that they organize a protest claiming the entire university is racist is either looking for a fight or they are nuts. And the people who join in? Those are the "sheep" you mention. And the media that incites rage? it's the news media that falsely report these incidents to stir up the sheep.

And yes, sometimes these apparent acts of racism are not carried out by right-wing white supremacists or whatever label you want to put on them. Why does this seem impossible to you? We saw this at Purdue a few years ago when supposedly 4 acts of racism on campus were reported to the FBI. Because of these 4 reports, Purdue was labeled one of the most racist universities in America by the media and social justice groups. An investigation showed that one of the 4 "hate crimes" was organized by a liberal arts professor as part of a class project to demonstrate how people respond to racism. Another was racist scribbling on a bathroom wall -- which could have been done by anyone for any reason. Again, per my statement above about words on bathroom walls -- get some perspective. But the media had already stirred up the community with stories about Purdue being one of the most racist universities in the nation. They buried the stories about the facts and continued to chant the racism mantra -- inciting more rage. And some Purdue faculty members continued the false reporting in editorials in the J&C years after the investigations.

Racism is wrong. But false charges and misplaced outrage about racism is even more damaging. Reasonable people will stop becoming outraged and will instead stop listening.

Reactions: reswat and tjreese
Have you been a victim of racial injustice?
The “damn you” was intended to be a light hearted way to end my late night rant. And being a white dude I can honestly say I’ve never faced any sort of racial injustice.

I don’t necessarily disagree with your stance, nor do I condemn any opinion that you might hold. I’m just tired of seeing these types of articles everywhere I look - from both sides. These are the articles that fuel the narrative that all conservatives are nutty, insensitive racists or that all liberals are flamboyant, white-apologetic snowflakes. They aren’t intended to strike up conversation or drive change, they’re intended to create animosity and division and to swing people further to one end of the spectrum.

The unnecessary rage incited is shown right here by people like the OP who is essentially disowning the school he graduated from, or from commenters like you (Andy) proclaiming that you’re stunned. I’m not an SJW. I promise lol. I agree that group think is dangerous, and that obviously racism is wrong. The basis of my rant comes from the fact that what used to be opinionated, hyperbolic blog pieces are now considered reliable news sources.

I’m probably done with this thread now, and I hope it’s clear that I have no animosity towards anyone in here. I’m just a guy who was bored and buzzed at 3am, that is so sick of seeing humans attack humans because of articles like this.

By the way, Carsen is putting up 40 tonight. Boiler up!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT