ADVERTISEMENT

OT: #5 ranked 2020 recruit signs overseas

Do Dah Day

All-American
Nov 8, 2015
Hampton signing into the NBL on a multi-year deal, with NBA out clauses, is a major boon to the league. The groundwork for this move was laid by Terrance Ferguson forgoing attending college at Arizona to sign with Adelaide, and eventually becoming the No. 21 pick in the 2017 NBA draft. That caused the NBL to launch the "Next Stars" program last year to attract more players in Ferguson's mold. Hampton will not count against the New Zealand Breakers' league mandated quota of three import players, and will also have part of his salary subsidized by the NBL.

"The NBL is looking to do this more and more now with players in my situation," Hampton told ESPN. "I'm being put in a situation that is centered around me being successful and accomplishing my dream of getting to the next level. The Breakers were the best team for me. Their owners played in the NBA, and they told me their goal is to help me have a great experience in New Zealand and ultimately a great career in the NBA. The fact that I'll be able to play two preseason games against NBA teams in October was very attractive. I'll be able to get a little taste of the atmosphere and how NBA games are played, which should expedite my development."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...90/hampton-skips-college-new-zealand-pro-ball

On a serious note I honestly hope more kids that were considering taking $$$ from a college or. A sneaker company just opt for this route.

The college game will not miss them.
Imagine the college game if the top ten players (+/-) played overseas every year. The balance that would bring. The difference between the #11 player and the #40 player is not much it seems to me. It's just those physical anomalies that are at the very top.

Imagine the college game if the top ten players (+/-) played overseas every year. The balance that would bring. The difference between the #11 player and the #40 player is not much it seems to me. It's just those physical anomalies that are at the very top.

I mean,Duke had 4 top 15 players and could t make it further than us.

Kentucky gets like 4-5 one and dones every year and it hasn’t meant success in the NCAAs for them in a long time.

College basketball doesn’t need these kids as much as the kids think they do.

Won't that be similar to what happens when the NBA changes their rule on kids coming in straight from high school?

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Won't that be similar to what happens when the NBA changes their rule on kids coming in straight from high school?
yes, Kids want the NBA, many don't want international. So it depends a LOT on how many the NBA will take. Will they go 8 or 10 deep every year? Will more kids choose International as the top ones go straight to the NBA? It could be a major shift or it could be not much at all. Seems to me the NBA will be very selective in who it takes that risk on.

I remember when Jennings went to Europe about a decade or so ago. I don't think it worked out as he had planned. He did make it to the NBA, but it wasn't all the fame and glam he imagined. I don't remember any top 10 kids following that path, although I could certainly be forgetting some.

I remember when Jennings went to Europe about a decade or so ago. I don't think it worked out as he had planned. He did make it to the NBA, but it wasn't all the fame and glam he imagined. I don't remember any top 10 kids following that path, although I could certainly be forgetting some.
Yes, the thing no one knows is how minds have changed in the past ten years. As I recall, he was not in the top five, was he?

How good were the International coaches then? How good are they now? Do they dev players or just give them experience? I doen't give a lot of value to how kids thought ten years ago applying to today. Or how well Int'l devved them for the NBA ... all things are changing too fast.

Glory and money are higher in more minds now (IMHO). We've seen some examples of just waltzing through college, as was mentioned above.

He was the #1 PG in the country. I think he went 8 overall after his year in Europe to the Bucks. Going Totally off memory. I Remember at the time it was pretty revolutionary and the thought was more of the top HS players would go that route.

He was the #1 PG in the country. I think he went 8 overall after his year in Europe to the Bucks. Going Totally off memory. I Remember at the time it was pretty revolutionary and the thought was more of the top HS players would go that route.
Ah, ok, that does change things a bit. We WILL know more in 5 1/2 months

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Jennings, Mudiay (China at $1M+ for the year, I think), Ferguson (Australia)...I'm not sure how high they were in the recruiting rankings, but they all were 1st rounders after playing a year overseas before the NBA draft. It seems like viable path to earn money & still get drafted highly. However, since none of those guys really became NBA superstars, kids might not see that path as favorably as the "norm" of going the NCAA route.

Reactions: pboiler18
Jennings, Mudiay (China at $1M+ for the year, I think), Ferguson (Australia)...I'm not sure how high they were in the recruiting rankings, but they all were 1st rounders after playing a year overseas before the NBA draft. It seems like viable path to earn money & still get drafted highly. However, since none of those guys really became NBA superstars, kids might not see that path as favorably as the "norm" of going the NCAA route.
Mudiay was at least a top 10 HS player, if not top 5. And he signed with SMU first, or at least committed there.

SVP did a bit on this topic tonight. The reality is no one is going to see them play outside of some scouts. By no one I mean friends, family, US media, etc. Interesting topic, but really doesn't affect Purdue fans.

I could not have cared less about the Saints until they brought in Drew Brees. My interest in that pro team is driven by the connection to my college.

I wonder if a good percentage of pro basketball fans carry the same sort of college connections. If so, then this overseas development league might not bring in many new fans as those players enter the NBA.

I could not have cared less about the Saints until they brought in Drew Brees. My interest in that pro team is driven by the connection to my college.

I wonder if a good percentage of pro basketball fans carry the same sort of college connections. If so, then this overseas development league might not bring in many new fans as those players enter the NBA.

I'm the exact same way.

Hampton signing into the NBL on a multi-year deal, with NBA out clauses, is a major boon to the league. The groundwork for this move was laid by Terrance Ferguson forgoing attending college at Arizona to sign with Adelaide, and eventually becoming the No. 21 pick in the 2017 NBA draft. That caused the NBL to launch the "Next Stars" program last year to attract more players in Ferguson's mold. Hampton will not count against the New Zealand Breakers' league mandated quota of three import players, and will also have part of his salary subsidized by the NBL.

"The NBL is looking to do this more and more now with players in my situation," Hampton told ESPN. "I'm being put in a situation that is centered around me being successful and accomplishing my dream of getting to the next level. The Breakers were the best team for me. Their owners played in the NBA, and they told me their goal is to help me have a great experience in New Zealand and ultimately a great career in the NBA. The fact that I'll be able to play two preseason games against NBA teams in October was very attractive. I'll be able to get a little taste of the atmosphere and how NBA games are played, which should expedite my development."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...90/hampton-skips-college-new-zealand-pro-ball

I’m ok with this. Get’s rid of the hyped, me-only players with bad parental baggage.

May help IU with a full team in the NIT!

I’m ok with this. Get’s rid of the hyped, me-only players with bad parental baggage.

May help IU with a full team in the NIT!
“The singular difference from now and when this track was open a long time ago,” said an NBA scout, referencing the direct-to-NBA route, which ended in 2005, “is the absolute deterioration of the value of a college scholarship in the eyes of the players and their families. These guys don’t want to be in school and don’t care. The carrot of education has been devalued.”

Hampton’s decision is emblematic of the attitudes of high school basketball players toward college as we hurtle toward potentially seismic changes coming to the NBA draft in 2022.

Think of Hampton’s decision not as some paradigm shift where dozens of players will follow him overseas. Instead, with the 2022 draft likely the first one where high school players will be able to go directly to the NBA, consider it the start of a flood of players following their hearts and wallets. Hampton didn’t have academic issues like Ferguson and he wasn’t forced to Australia with NCAA issues like Brian Bowen last year. He’s the poster child for the reality that college coaches — and some media — don’t want to hear. The allure of playing college basketball has dipped precipitously in the past decade. And there’s no uptick in sight.

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-are-hoops-prospects-like-rj-hampton-skipping-college-020139816.html

Last edited:
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
“The singular difference from now and when this track was open a long time ago,” said an NBA scout, referencing the direct-to-NBA route, which ended in 2005, “is the absolute deterioration of the value of a college scholarship in the eyes of the players and their families. These guys don’t want to be in school and don’t care. The carrot of education has been devalued.”

Hampton’s decision is emblematic of the attitudes of high school basketball players toward college as we hurtle toward potentially seismic changes coming to the NBA draft in 2022.

Think of Hampton’s decision not as some paradigm shift where dozens of players will follow him overseas. Instead, with the 2022 draft likely the first one where high school players will be able to go directly to the NBA, consider it the start of a flood of players following their hearts and wallets. Hampton didn’t have academic issues like Ferguson and he wasn’t forced to Australia with NCAA issues like Brian Bowen last year. He’s the poster child for the reality that college coaches — and some media — don’t want to hear. The allure of playing college basketball has dipped precipitously in the past decade. And there’s no uptick in sight.

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-are-hoops-prospects-like-rj-hampton-skipping-college-020139816.html

I can assure you there is no shortage of players looking for a scholarship.

yes, Kids want the NBA, many don't want international. So it depends a LOT on how many the NBA will take. Will they go 8 or 10 deep every year? Will more kids choose International as the top ones go straight to the NBA? It could be a major shift or it could be not much at all. Seems to me the NBA will be very selective in who it takes that risk on.

I agree -- I think it will have some impact, but nothing crazy. The NBA draft is still an incredibly selective event. Sure, a guy like a Zion won't be in college, but beyond those top few I think you'll still see plenty of one and dones in college.

But there is a huge drop off after #1-5 recruits - but there's also another big drop off after 5-20. A guy like Swanigan wouldn't have gotten drafted coming out of high school, so you'll still see top 25 recruits go to college - some of them for more than 1 year.

There will still be a talent gap.

Reactions: Flot
I agree -- I think it will have some impact, but nothing crazy. The NBA draft is still an incredibly selective event. Sure, a guy like a Zion won't be in college, but beyond those top few I think you'll still see plenty of one and dones in college.

But there is a huge drop off after #1-5 recruits - but there's also another big drop off after 5-20. A guy like Swanigan wouldn't have gotten drafted coming out of high school, so you'll still see top 25 recruits go to college - some of them for more than 1 year.

There will still be a talent gap.
I think it will place even more of a premium on targeting the right players, from an ROI standpoint. For example, Mike Davis spent a ton of time, energy, and money signing Josh Smith, then he went right to the NBA instead of to IU. While IU and Illinois were fighting over OAD Eric Gordon, CMP and Zo invested in E’Twaun, a great 4 year player.

And CMP has a great handle on that calculus already, so I don’t think this development does anything but help us.

I think we will see it go back to how it was prior to the one and done rule. The blue bloods will still get the best recruits that come into college, and they will be getting more multi year recruits.

If they get more multi-year recruits, they are getting fewer total recruits.
I think those coaches who can juggle schollies the best and are already coaching for the longer term will be the winners ... hmmm ... who could that coach be?

That's potentially true. I still think they will have 4 or 5 man classes every year.
The thing that is HARD to figure is if the NBA gets, say ten top HS grads ... how does that impact who stays and who goes. Will the HS guys and Europe get the top twelve spots? If so, what is the push for the tenth best college player to go ... but then he gets to be a year older ...

My point being, will there be that many leave for the draft after two or three years? If not, then the bluebloods won't have room after a couple of years.

The whole dynamic changes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT