ADVERTISEMENT

B1G WBB teams ranked by “Top Returners”

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
We all want Purdue WBB to do well and I am optimistic we might win 20 and get in the NCAA. But I saw this ranking which is sobering.

Meghan McKeown, BTN’s WBB analyst, has ranked the top 20 returning players in the league and here is the breakdown:

Iowa #13 Martin, #3 Czinano and #1 Clark (3)
Ohio State #19 Harris, # 8 Mikesell and #6 Sheldon (3)
Penn State #20 Kapinus and #10 Marisa (2)
Michigan State #17 Hagemann and #16 Ekh (2)
Michigan #15 Thelin and #7 Brown (2)
Maryland #12 Shelly and #2 Miller (2)
Nebraska #11 Markowski and #9 Shelly (2)
Indiana #5 Holmes and #4 Berger (2)
Northwestern #14 Shaw (1)
Purdue #18 Layden (1)

Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin and Rutgers - None

So we have one in the Top 20 ranked #18 and we all know how Madison faded from fatigue and injuries as the season progressed last year. And I know that being good as a team is more than how many stars you have on your team but unfortunately this ranking does not bode well for us unless some others really step up on our team more than unknowns on other teams. Or one of our freshmen or transfers is amazingly better than the other teams' freshmen or transfers.

We will see.

Last edited:
I agree with this assessment, and adding the two transfers may disrupt chemistry on a team that returned most of its minutes played and all its starters from last year

I agree with this assessment, and adding the two transfers may disrupt chemistry on a team that returned most of its minutes played and all its starters from last year
The 2 transfers are the 2 best players on the team besides Jayla Smith. This PU WBB team really lacks overall talent and athleticism and the 2 transfers couldn't be needed more.

Reactions: BoilerGal74
They returned starters but let's get real the starters talent level isn't very good. Even Layden is slow and plodding can't create her own shot and not much athleticism...but she has great court awareness and high BB IQ from growing up in a basketball family and she can hit 3's when she's not.

We all want Purdue WBB to do well and I am optimistic we might win 20 and get in the NCAA. But I saw this ranking which is sobering.

Meghan McKeown, BTN’s WBB analyst, has ranked the top 20 returning players in the league and here is the breakdown:

Iowa #13 Martin, #3 Czinano and #1 Clark (3)
Ohio State #19 Harris, # 8 Mikesell and #6 Sheldon (3)
Penn State #20 Kapinus and #10 Marisa (2)
Michigan State #17 Hagemann and #16 Ekh (2)
Michigan #15 Thelin and #7 Brown (2)
Maryland #12 Shelly and #2 Miller (2)
Nebraska #11 Markowski and #9 Shelly (2)
Indiana #5 Holmes and #4 Berger (2)
Northwestern #14 Shaw (1)
Purdue #18 Layden (1)

Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin and Rutgers - None

So we have one in the Top 20 ranked #18 and we all know how Madison faded from fatigue and injuries as the season progressed last year. And I know that being good as a team is more than how many stars you have on your team but unfortunately this ranking does not bode well for us unless some others really step up on our team more than unknowns on other teams. Or one of our freshmen or transfers is amazingly better than the other teams' freshmen or transfers.

We will see.

Yeah it's sobering how much the talent level is really lacking. It's why it was encouraging to see Jayla take over the game tonight and secure the win over Marshall. Her 2 3's were absolutely critical and they need her to be a star. Can't emphasize that enough. She oozes athleticism she just needs confidence that her shots will fall and lead this team like she did against Marshall.

I watched the 1998 Tennessee @Purdue game again this week. It too was the first game of the season. The difference in the athleticism and talent between these teams was scarey… But we will get back there-just not over night. We know CKG already has made a difference and will continue do so. Purdue WBB is being “rebirthed.”. (For all you men out there that means sometimes it will be REALLY painful but when it does finally happen one quickly forgets the pain and only remembers the joy 💛🖤💛🖤💛)

Last edited:
If I were Meghan McKeown I would have Jayla listed instead of Madison or maybe both and have Jayla listed in the 10-15 range on that list.
We all know about your unrequited love affair with Smith, but even with Ellis out, the coach didn't feel she was good enough to start. So you and the coach apparently have RADICALLY different views on Smiths talents and worth to the team.

We all know about your unrequited love affair with Smith, but even with Ellis out, the coach didn't feel she was good enough to start. So you and the coach apparently have RADICALLY different views on Smiths talents and worth to the team.
If you actually read what KG thinks - she thinks she has 8 starter-level kids with Smith being included in that group. But you can only start 5. Hardin is a touch more experienced so I assume that's why she got the nod. But if Smith keeps up this type of play she will probably be in the starting lineup sooner than later.

I watched the 1998 Tennessee @Purdue game again this week. It too was the first game of the season. The difference in the athleticism and talent between these teams was scarey… But we will get back there-just not over night. We know CKG already has made a difference and will continue do so. Purdue WBB is being “rebirthed.”. (For all you men out there that means sometimes it will be REALLY painful but when it does finally happen one quickly forgets the pain and only remembers the joy 💛🖤💛🖤💛)
The talent and athleticism of current day players is light years ahead of kids back in 1999. If you pit the top teams in 1999 against the top teams now - the current kids would wipe the floor with them. I've seen video of the top 2023 kids and it blows my mind the type of plays they are making in the open court. Completely different game. We just have to keep up.

The talent and athleticism of current day players is light years ahead of kids back in 1999. If you pit the top teams in 1999 against the top teams now - the current kids would wipe the floor with them. I've seen video of the top 2023 kids and it blows my mind the type of plays they are making in the open court. Completely different game. We just have to keep up.
Are you not able to read?? Must be an IU Grad🙈I clearly stated that I was comparing the 1998-99 Boilermaker WBB team to our 2022-23 WBB Team( Were you even old enough to be interested in WBB then??). You never watched those ladies play if you think the two teams compare or that this team is better. That is to take nothing away from our WBB team today but I was talking about our Purdue National Championship Team. There is no comparison. There will be someday, sooner than most of us expect I hope, but we aren’t there yet.

Reactions: MichaelRR
Are you not able to read?? Must be an IU Grad🙈I clearly stated that I was comparing the 1998-99 Boilermaker WBB team to our 2022-23 WBB Team( Were you even old enough to be interested in WBB then??). You never watched those ladies play if you think the two teams compare or that this team is better. That is to take nothing away from our WBB team today but I was talking about our Purdue National Championship Team. There is no comparison. There will be someday, sooner than most of us expect I hope, but we aren’t there yet.
I agree, Katie Douglas, Camille Cooper and three kids from the Co-Rec could probably beat our current team, those girls were just worlds ahead of our current talent. Adding in White, Figgs, Duhart, Noon, and Komara would make it an easy blowout for the 99 team.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Apologies I misread that. But super mature response there Gal 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: MichaelRR
ADVERTISEMENT