ADVERTISEMENT

On the positive side, what are some of your greatest Boilermaker victories?

TheCainer

All-American
Sep 23, 2003
In basketball, a few come to mind immediately:

1. Beating IU in the NCAA regional semi-finals in 1980. I believe at one point we were up 19 (57-38?) and cruised on in for the victory. I was watching that game with several IU friends and was out numbered like 5-1 so I kept my exuberance down a little bit. Man were they bummed out.
2. The next game we beat Duke for the regional championship. That Duke team was a pre-season top 2 or 3 ranked team, and that regional final had us, IU, Duke, and Kentucky. That was quite the feat to come out of that regional final four.
3. Beating Kansas in the regional semi-final with the Big Dog. That game seemed to be the one that might get Keady over the hump as I believe that was his first elite 8 appearance. That was a tough regional as it included Duke (#2 seed), Kentucky (#3 seed), and Kansas (#4 seed), all of which had been ranked #1 at one point during the season, something we never attained that year, and yet we were the #1 seed in the regional. IIRC, the Big Dog and Zo scored all but 8 of our points that night.
4. The chair game. Enough said.

In football:

1. Beating tO$U when Brees rallied us late after a crucial turnover. That game virtually assured us of a Rose Bowl trip.
2. Pounding ND into submission in South Bend in 2004. Orton's 97 yard TD throw from the end zone to Taylor Stubblefield was a thing of beauty that I will never forget.
3. Upsetting Kansas State in the Alamo Bowl game when Drew was a sophomore. KSU was such a prohibitive favorite and we totally outplayed them. I also remember camera shots of KSU's defensive coordinator (Stoops?) just having a melt down trying to figure us out. IIRC, they had 3 outstanding linebackers but with our spread offense they had matchup problems galore.
4. Rallying to beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl season. Down 28-10 at the half and showing no signs of being able to stop them on defense. And then Dorsch nailed one of the biggest kicks of his life.

Most of the NCAA tournament victories are fond memories, for me.

...usually because we're being overlooked in lieu of some powerhouse or flavor of the week. I remember beating Gonzaga a few years back (probably more than a decade ago - age is catching up with me :D) when they were first no longer considered a "Cinderella", but an actual power and many predicted Purdue's demise. Haha... man, good times. I can remember Cameron Stephens going off on Texas (I think) and we "upset" them. I don't remember the actual game, but I remember Kramer hitting that shot from his knees. I'm too young (still) to remember the '80 or '69 Final Four teams, unfortunately.

Making the Sweet 16 in 1999 after nearly falling apart down the stretch in the regular season. I especially savored beating #2 seed Texas in the second round.

I also thought that 63-61 OT win over A&M in the 2010 Round of 32 fits the bill. It was a thrilling game from beginning to end. Purdue went from a final four favorite to a popular pick for a first round loss when Hummel went down in Minneapolis.

Since this is tourney time, for me it was the Final Four semi-final game at Louisville's Freedom Hall in 1969. The Purdue team was up against a highly rated (#2 behind UCLA nearly all year long) North Carolina team with All-American Charlie Scott (their first black player). I spent nearly the last few bucks I had on gas to drive to Louisville and buy a scalper ticket after the game had started for face value ($8 at that time). It turned out to be nearly floor level and I had a spectacular view of Rick Mount going off for 36 points and Purdue absolutely demolishing the highly favored Tarheels 92-65. Wow, was that fun!

It was so much fun that I stayed over with a Louisville friend and tried it again two days later for the UCLA (Lew Alcindor, aka Kareem Abdul Jabbar) championship game. To open the game, Mount drilled his patented falling out of bounds from behind the backboard corner shot almost right in front of me, and I thought I really had a chance to watch an upset and a Purdue national championship. Unfortunately, it wasn't to be, but just being there was a good memory too.

1. Beating MSU and Magic when they were ranked #1 in their Championship season.
- Fans did not storm the floor, Team came back out for a Victory lap :)

2. Blow-out win at Michigan in 1995-96 with Justin Jennings leading the way.

3. Every win at IU ;-) We miss Chad Austin!

Easily for me is the 1994 Regional Semi against Kansas which had been to Final 4 previous season. Big Dog had 44 pts. 30 at halftime. Remember the dunk on Ostertag? That to me was the best Purdue win in tourney. I still have that game saved on a DVD.

Recently I'd say the win over Wash St in Seattle in the 2nd around 2009. That is shown on the Big 10 Network as Classic Big 10 games.

My posts about heartbreak was really about alot better Purdue teams with higher expectations losing in tourney. You don't think Iowa St fans were alot more upset then Purdue fans Thursday?

Beating the Russian national team in the 80's. Curt Clawson hitting the winning shot on the closing seconds.

Not gonna take time to look up the when's...thanks Lagunitas....
Purdue beating a really good Louisville team with the McCray twins...
#1 Arizona
Duke in Alaska
Big Dog @ Michigan
The IU game to close the season. I think IU was 2nd ranked and they blew the B1G champ, #1 seed, and tO$U held a Purdue Day on campus the next day...

Crap, forgot football...
Mike Tomczak throwing the ball out of bounds on 4th and goal...but that game was about Keith Byers breaking through the line and meeting Woodson.
No Bucket ! No Bowl ! No Heisman !
Insert Drew Brees Game here _________.
Orton @ ND...a pathetic ND team, but the only win in South Bend I've ever seen...
Give Hope credit...#7 tO$U...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT