ADVERTISEMENT

Okoro

Oregon also told him he would be a three in their system. He’s only backed up the 5 so far
What a surprise, flashy coaches who over-promise and lie. Especially about your minutes and position.

Biggie was told he would play the 4 at Purdue. He played that almost exclusively his freshmen year. I remember reading an anonymous coaches comments about other Big Ten teams. One coach said something to the effect of Obviously Purdue made a deal with Swanigan to play him out of position, etc. That's right, because that was the recruiting angle that allowed Purdue to get him and because Matt Painter follows through.

I hope recruits are reading this.

I foresee the same thing happening to Malik at M$U.

I think Hall will be a good player for MSU, but he will be more of a role player instead of the star he would have been at Purdue. Could ultimately end up costing him getting drafted, but who knows. I saw him as having a Vince Edwards type role at Purdue with a higher ceiling. Now we will just have to wait and see if it was indeed a bad decision.

I think Hall will be a good player for MSU, but he will be more of a role player instead of the star he would have been at Purdue. Could ultimately end up costing him getting drafted, but who knows. I saw him as having a Vince Edwards type role at Purdue with a higher ceiling. Now we will just have to wait and see if it was indeed a bad decision.

I think Hall will be every bit as good at MSU as he would here.....cream rises.....no mater what pitcher of milk. Even in sour milk @ MSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: DannyGranger
What a surprise, flashy coaches who over-promise and lie. Especially about your minutes and position.

Biggie was told he would play the 4 at Purdue. He played that almost exclusively his freshmen year. I remember reading an anonymous coaches comments about other Big Ten teams. One coach said something to the effect of Obviously Purdue made a deal with Swanigan to play him out of position, etc. That's right, because that was the recruiting angle that allowed Purdue to get him and because Matt Painter follows through.

I remember Biggie playing a Hell of alot at the 5

Okoro logged 9 minutes and 2 points in a loss against 2-4 Texas Southern. I know we should let this thread die in peace, but that was shocking to me. Not sure if he would have started for Purdue/Illinois, but right now those both seem like better options. Recruits make mistakes and believe false promises and listen to the wrong folks. I hope he gets it figured out and finds success.

Okoro logged 9 minutes and 2 points in a loss against 2-4 Texas Southern. I know we should let this thread die in peace, but that was shocking to me. Not sure if he would have started for Purdue/Illinois, but right now those both seem like better options. Recruits make mistakes and believe false promises and listen to the wrong folks. I hope he gets it figured out and finds success.
With CJ Walker coming in next year and another 4* PF - not sure where the playing time is coming from? Perhaps we switch to 4 quarters so there is an extra couple minutes to play in garbage time?

He would have easily been the starting 5 at Illinois. They just need a rim runner and rebounder in that system.

Not sure where he would have fit in rotation at Purdue, but his athleticism would surely help him to find some playing time.

I'm guessing he is still a little too raw to be getting major minutes at this point in his career. Sometimes it takes bigs more time to adjust to college game.

Recruits make mistakes and believe false promises and listen to the wrong folks

what was he promised
PT?
money?

okoro quote,
and before choosing 2018 over 2019:
"Coach Altman was talking about working hard and being the best you can be. He said there is no short cut. The only way you can be the best player you can be is to work hard"

wheeler/purdue as a comparison:
"they're a top-10 team and the coaches were telling me I'll have an opportunity to compete for playing time right away, and that's also big"

Is King hurt? I dont even see him on their box scores.
He’s coming off of a minor knee injury. I think has been cleared soon to play. Should be ready probably in a couple of weeks. He’s a shooter got hurt b4 he got to campus. He will give them another scorer okoro Probably see even less playing time once he’s healthy to play. I say don’t get caught up in the name of school or the name of the coach of the school but find that fits ur style of play and hopefully the coach play you accordingly

Not sure how Okoro and ED compares physical/skillsets/basketball IQ etc.
I thought there were similaritie in between these two.
Any one? Thank you in advance for the insight.

At any rate, ED is taking a redshirt year to get better in techniques/game of basketball.

I think ED's extra year will help us in a long run.
Hope Okoro will be given an opportunity to play his potential wherever it may be.

Great to be a Boiler.

Boiler Up!!

Not sure how Okoro and ED compares physical/skillsets/basketball IQ etc.
I thought there were similaritie in between these two.
Any one? Thank you in advance for the insight.

At any rate, ED is taking a redshirt year to get better in techniques/game of basketball.

I think ED's extra year will help us in a long run.
Hope Okoro will be given an opportunity to play his potential wherever it may be.

Great to be a Boiler.

Boiler Up!!
I watched okoro a lot over the summer bcuz I was at some of the events he was at officiating. Both ED and okoro are very similar physical size and height. Both rather raw offensively okoro may be a tad bit ahead of ED skill wise but both has a great upside givin time to work on their games. Okoro is more a traditional 5 man than 4 man. So is ED. Both will turn out to be really good players in the right system and opportunities to play. Wish okoro well hope it all works out for him

It is hard for these teenagers to not fall for the dream so many of these coaches sell.
So true so true as a parent who went thru the recruitment process o cannot tell you how many these coaches lie in ur face but as soon as you sign the NLI it changes and all those promises made goes out the window why as much as some of the fans of Purdue don’t like painter honest approach I respected I demanded that from every coach to keep it real those who didn’t I quickly ended the relationship and moved on. At every level playing time is earned no matter your status.

So true so true as a parent who went thru the recruitment process o cannot tell you how many these coaches lie in ur face but as soon as you sign the NLI it changes and all those promises made goes out the window why as much as some of the fans of Purdue don’t like painter honest approach I respected I demanded that from every coach to keep it real those who didn’t I quickly ended the relationship and moved on. At every level playing time is earned no matter your status.

This post rules so hard.

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt

in fairness, Biggie ended up playing a ton of 5, and Purdue was better when he did.

in fairness, Biggie ended up playing a ton of 5, and Purdue was better when he did.
I agree that Biggie was better suited for the 5 at Purdue. His freshman year, we saw that vs IU in Bloomington at the end of that defeat. The team played with a spark with him at the 5 instead of Hammons or Haas. However, my point is that for most of his freshmen year, Biggie was allowed to play the 4 next to Hammons / Haas as Painter promised. Yes, his sophomore year, he did play the 5 since the team was better with there. However, do you think he would have been allowed to play the 4 at all under Izzo at MSU or Zo at Cal. I think not.

If I remember correctly, Fizzo told Dawson Painter would make him play the 4 while MSU would let him be a 2 or 3 for NBA readiness. I am pretty sure Dawson played the 4 at MSU.

I agree that Biggie was better suited for the 5 at Purdue. His freshman year, we saw that vs IU in Bloomington at the end of that defeat. The team played with a spark with him at the 5 instead of Hammons or Haas. However, my point is that for most of his freshmen year, Biggie was allowed to play the 4 next to Hammons / Haas as Painter promised. Yes, his sophomore year, he did play the 5 since the team was better with there. However, do you think he would have been allowed to play the 4 at all under Izzo at MSU or Zo at Cal. I think not.

If I remember correctly, Fizzo told Dawson Painter would make him play the 4 while MSU would let him be a 2 or 3 for NBA readiness. I am pretty sure Dawson played the 4 at MSU.
This is a great example of negative recruiting. I believe someone questioned what "negative recruiting" was. Well here is a exactly what it is, and from a coach I think does it quite often, and needs to stop. For what ever reason, Izzo does this to Painter quite often. I think he has an issue with Matt.

Reactions: bstrouse

Oh yeah, totally agreed. I just wanted to point out that Biggie did sort of end up playing the 5 at Purdue.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
This is a great example of negative recruiting. I believe someone questioned what "negative recruiting" was. Well here is a exactly what it is, and from a coach I think does it quite often, and needs to stop. For what ever reason, Izzo does this to Painter quite often. I think he has an issue with Matt.
I see nothing wrong with this. I hope we are doing the exact same thing.

Using Biggie as an example.

I hope during that recruitment Painter kept bringing up MSU's roster, and how it pointed to him playing the 5. At the same time he should be telling him that he would definitely play the 4 with Haas and Hammons on the roster.

We should be pointing out our competition's shortcomings while also highlighting the benefits of coming to Purdue. Also, if a player like a Keion Brooks says I envision myself playing the 2 in college, then tell him he can play the 2.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I see nothing wrong with this. I hope we are doing the exact same thing.

Using Biggie as an example.

I hope during that recruitment Painter kept bringing up MSU's roster, and how it pointed to him playing the 5. At the same time he should be telling him that he would definitely play the 4 with Haas and Hammons on the roster.

We should be pointing out our competition's shortcomings while also highlighting the benefits of coming to Purdue. Also, if a player like a Keion Brooks says I envision myself playing the 2 in college, then tell him he can play the 2.
I hope if I am Painter I keep track of every kid who went elsewhere and the minutes/production they have to show the next round of kids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT