ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio audit showed nearly 500 noncitizens registered to vote.

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
I thought someone here said illegals wouldn't try to vote? Here we had nearly 500 illegals ready to do so among a large purge of non eligible registrations.

I hope those 500 who broke the law getting here, and then trying to vote on top of that are among the first deportees under the next administration.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
I thought someone here said illegals wouldn't try to vote? Here we had nearly 500 illegals ready to do so among a large purge of non eligible registrations.

I hope those 500 who broke the law getting here, and then trying to vote on top of that are among the first deportees under the next administration.

It's interesting to me that you read an article that uses the term "non-citizens" but you choose to use the term "illegals." I see nothing in the article that indicates how many of the 499 may be in the country illegally. The article also makes an assumption in even using the term "non-citizens," since it also says that these are folks who didn't respond to confirm their citizenship, but that they can still do so after submitting a provisional ballot. So, it could be true that some number of the 499 actually ARE citizens.

This is also an example of the systems that we already have in place to ensure that only those eligible to vote are able to do so working as intended.

It's interesting to me that you read an article that uses the term "non-citizens" but you choose to use the term "illegals." I see nothing in the article that indicates how many of the 499 may be in the country illegally. The article also makes an assumption in even using the term "non-citizens," since it also says that these are folks who didn't respond to confirm their citizenship, but that they can still do so after submitting a provisional ballot. So, it could be true that some number of the 499 actually ARE citizens.

This is also an example of the systems that we already have in place to ensure that only those eligible to vote are able to do so working as intended.

What do you call a foreigner trying to immigrate to the US but not doing so through the proper channels?

Reactions: Boiler Buck

Glad they caught those illegals. I am sure blue states are using similar measures to purge their illegal voters too. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Indy_Rider
Relevance is that if they are trying to immigrate to US but not doing so through the proper channels then they are illegals (“proper channels” meaning
“legal channels”)
I understand what you mean by "illegals," but I don't understand the relevance of that to this particular article that doesn't discuss illegal immigration.

Relevance?
You brought up the terms "non-citizens" and compared to "illegals".
My question was, do you have a problem with the term "illegal immigrant"?

Or, are we trying to be extra PC here, like when they call homeless people "unhoused"?

• Haha
Reactions: Boiler Buck
You brought up the terms "non-citizens" and compared to "illegals".
My question was, do you have a problem with the term "illegal immigrant"?

Or, are we trying to be extra PC here, like when they call homeless people "unhoused"?
I didn't bring up either term. The article brought up the term "non-citizens" and the OP brought up the term "illegals." I was simply asking why the OP felt the need to characterize all non-citizens (or at least all of the 499 referenced in the article) as illegals when there is no evidence to suggest that is true.

Reactions: Purdue95Grad
I didn't bring up either term. The article brought up the term "non-citizens" and the OP brought up the term "illegals." I was simply asking why the OP felt the need to characterize all non-citizens (or at least all of the 499 referenced in the article) as illegals when there is no evidence to suggest that is true.
So, I will ask another way:
In what circumstances is a "non-citizen" allowed to vote?
Green card?
Foreign student visa?
Work visa?
Are any of them allowed to vote?

What do you call someone who is not here on one of those special permission slips from the government? Someone who's not going through the asylum process (meeting very strict criteria for asylum)?
Someone who didn't come through a port of entry and either walked, swam or rode across the border?

So, I will ask another way:
In what circumstances is a "non-citizen" allowed to vote?
Green card?
Foreign student visa?
Work visa?
Are any of them allowed to vote?
In my understanding, non-citizens are not allowed to vote at all, except in a few local elections in certain places.
What do you call someone who is not here on one of those special permission slips from the government? Someone who's not going through the asylum process (meeting very strict criteria for asylum)?
Someone who didn't come through a port of entry and either walked, swam or rode across the border?
Again, I don't see the relevance of this question to the article presented in this thread. Why does it matter what I (or anyone else, for that matter) call a different group of people than those referenced in the article?

In my understanding, non-citizens are not allowed to vote at all, except in a few local elections in certain places.

Again, I don't see the relevance of this question to the article presented in this thread. Why does it matter what I (or anyone else, for that matter) call a different group of people than those referenced in the article?
Do you see a difference between an illegal immigrant and a non-citizen here on some type of legal visa?
Do you think anyone is an illegal immigrant?

Do you see a difference between an illegal immigrant and a non-citizen here on some type of legal visa?
I see a difference in their legal status (as apparently you do, as well), yes. I'd have thought that was obvious given the question I asked, but evidently not. But the original poster apparently doesn't, which was why I asked my question to seek clarification. Unfortunately, he was either unwilling or unable to answer it.

Last edited:
I see a difference in their legal status (as apparently you do, as well), yes. I'd have thought that was obvious given the question I asked, but evidently not. But the original poster apparently doesn't, which was why I asked my question to seek clarification. Unfortunately, he was either unwilling or unable to answer it.
Ok, good. Just so we're clear, you're OK with calling someone here illegally an "Illegal Alien" or "Illegal Immigrant"?

Ok, good. Just so we're clear, you're OK with calling someone here illegally an "Illegal Alien" or "Illegal Immigrant"?
Il·le·gal
/i(l)ˈlēɡ(ə)l/
adjective
  • 1.contrary to or forbidden by law, especially criminal law:
I thought that we deported immigrants that broke the law.

I'll ask for like the third time, what relevance is it to my question regarding the article what term I would use for someone of a particular immigration status?

You seem to have acknowledged that "non-citizen" and "illegal" don't mean the same thing. I agree with you on that. I was simply asking the original poster why they used what you and I would consider the incorrect term when referring to the group of people the article discusses.

I'll ask for like the third time, what relevance is it to my question regarding the article what term I would use for someone of a particular immigration status?
Why is it relevant?
Because it's important to identify law breakers and people who do things illegally.
Why? Because there have to be consequences for breaking the law. Coming into the US illegally is, by definition, breaking the law.

Do you no see a distinction between "non-citizen" and "illegal immigrant". Again, a non-citizen could be someone here legally on a work or student visa. However, an illegal immigrant is someone who broke out nation's laws to get in here.

Why is it relevant?
Because it's important to identify law breakers and people who do things illegally.
Why? Because there have to be consequences for breaking the law. Coming into the US illegally is, by definition, breaking the law.
How does my use of terminology affect our ability to do any of those things (FYI, I do not work in immigration enforcement or any such related field)? You've not presented any justification here as to why your question is relevant to the thread, to the question I asked, or to the article.
Do you no see a distinction between "non-citizen" and "illegal immigrant". Again, a non-citizen could be someone here legally on a work or student visa. However, an illegal immigrant is someone who broke out nation's laws to get in here.
I clearly do, both based on my original question and my statement in an earlier reply of "I see a difference in their legal status." The person who apparently DOESN'T see a distinction between the two groups is the original poster of this thread, so maybe you should be asking them this question.

How does my use of terminology affect our ability to do any of those things (FYI, I do not work in immigration enforcement or any such related field)? You've not presented any justification here as to why your question is relevant to the thread, to the question I asked, or to the article.

I clearly do, both based on my original question and my statement in an earlier reply of "I see a difference in their legal status." The person who apparently DOESN'T see a distinction between the two groups is the original poster of this thread, so maybe you should be asking them this question.

OK, as long as we can all agree that people here illegally can be termed "Illegal immigrant" or "Illegal alien", then we're good.

OK, as long as we can all agree that people here illegally can be termed "Illegal immigrant" or "Illegal alien", then we're good.
Wow, what a waste of time all that was. And here I thought you were trying to engage with my question.

Wow, what a waste of time all that was. And here I thought you were trying to engage with my question.
Why won't you answer my question: Do you think the term Illegal immigrant is accurate?
Should we as US citizens call people who are trying to immigrate here but doing so illegally, illegal immigrants?

Why won't you answer my question: Do you think the term Illegal immigrant is accurate?
Should we as US citizens call people who are trying to immigrate here but doing so illegally, illegal immigrants?
At this point, the length of this conversation is way out of proportion to my interest in it. Why do you care what term I use? We both agree there are different classifications of people who live here but who are non-citizens and that one of those classifications refers to people who are not here legally. Whether I'd use the term "illegal alien," "illegal immigrant," or "misunderstood tourist" means ****-all with respect to the existence of those legal classifications.

At this point, the length of this conversation is way out of proportion to my interest in it. Why do you care what term I use? We both agree there are different classifications of people who live here but who are non-citizens and that one of those classifications refers to people who are not here legally. Whether I'd use the term "illegal alien," "illegal immigrant," or "misunderstood tourist" means ****-all with respect to the existence of those legal classifications.
Because, I'm getting the sense that you're a liberal, and liberals like to word-smith terms to support their narrative.
Calling an illegal a 'non-citizen' carries a difference connotation than 'illegal immigrant'.

Another example: Libs love to use the word "hate" to describe anything a conservative disagrees with.
For example, I strongly disagree with letting trans men compete in women's athletics. However, my disagreement would be labeled at 'Hate' by liberals.

That's why terminology matters.

Because, I'm getting the sense that you're a liberal, and liberals like to word-smith terms to support their narrative.
Calling an illegal a 'non-citizen' carries a difference connotation than 'illegal immigrant'.
Do you think it's likely that (noted liberal news source) Fox News "word-smithed" the term "non-citizen" in their article above when they really were referring to "illegal immigrants?" Are you accusing ME of word-smithing when I'm not the one who used the terms in the first place? Seems to me that, in this case, and assuming the Fox article chose their terms accurately, that Boiler Buck "word-smithed" non-citizens into illegals to support a narrative.

So, let me turn this back to the article. Do YOU think that it is accurate to describe the 499 people referenced in the article as "illegal."

Do you think it's likely that (noted liberal news source) Fox News "word-smithed" the term "non-citizen" in their article above when they really were referring to "illegal immigrants?" Are you accusing ME of word-smithing when I'm not the one who used the terms in the first place? Seems to me that, in this case, and assuming the Fox article chose their terms accurately, that Boiler Buck "word-smithed" non-citizens into illegals to support a narrative.

So, let me turn this back to the article. Do YOU think that it is accurate to describe the 499 people referenced in the article as "illegal."
I didn't read the article.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT