ADVERTISEMENT

Offense Against the Press

depthcharge623

Sophomore
Dec 31, 2013
In the first half when we were able to minimize turnovers, we had a guy trailing the guy bringing up the ball during a press. This allowed for a safety valve that got the job done without having to rely on Smith giving 110% every possession to get the ball past half court.

It seemed like we stopped doing that in the second half when things started to go wrong. Why? I can’t think of any reason to go away from what was obviously working.

I also think it our offense is just a little better we have less issue with the press because then Maryland isn’t able to get their defense set.

In the first half when we were able to minimize turnovers, we had a guy trailing the guy bringing up the ball during a press. This allowed for a safety valve that got the job done without having to rely on Smith giving 110% every possession to get the ball past half court.

It seemed like we stopped doing that in the second half when things started to go wrong. Why? I can’t think of any reason to go away from what was obviously working.

I also think it our offense is just a little better we have less issue with the press because then Maryland isn’t able to get their defense set.
There were times when MD had 3 guys over the 10 sec line and a 4th damn near it.

Maybe it was because we were down and couldn’t waste time getting it past half court. So rather than slowly and methodically work it down, you just tell Smith to use his speed so we have more time to run our half court offense? That’s the only thing I can think of…

Morton not advancing the ball and playing as though the ball was a hot potato really plays into the defenses hand. He was a point guard I thought and should be able to break the press up the sideline instead of always passing the ball back to Smith

Reactions: DannyGranger
Morton brings nothing to the offensive end. Everything he does well on the defensive end is completely negated on the offensive end. Its not just that he doesn't score, but he's not even a threat. No problem doubling Edey when you only have to worry about 3 or 4 guys.

On a side note, Furst has a really bad habit of disappearing on the offensive end. We simply can't have guys not looking to score on the offensive end.

Last edited:
Morton not advancing the ball and playing as though the ball was a hot potato really plays into the defenses hand. He was a point guard I thought and should be able to break the press up the sideline instead of always passing the ball back to Smith
Sasha did the same thing. Morton has better handles so I thought he could just bring it up past the 10 second line and give it back to Smith.

Sasha did the same thing. Morton has better handles so I thought he could just bring it up past the 10 second line and give it back to Smith.

Morton does that. Newman does that. Loyer does that. Did anyone other than Smith, and Jenkins when Smith was out, actually bring the ball across midcourt yesterday? It must be a coaching directive. Are the coaches so scared of those guys picking up the ball and getting trapped in the corner once they get it across that the orders are to pass back to Braden in the middle of the court instead of just advancing the ball?

There weren't many TOs against the press yesterday. Yet when shots aren't falling in the half court, I'm not sure why you don't want to try and create some opportunities by beating the press down the court when the opportunity presents itself.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Morton does that. Newman does that. Loyer does that. Did anyone other than Smith, and Jenkins when Smith was out, actually bring the ball across midcourt yesterday? It must be a coaching directive. Are the coaches so scared of those guys picking up the ball and getting trapped in the corner once they get it across that the orders are to pass back to Braden in the middle of the court instead of just advancing the ball?

There weren't many TOs against the press yesterday. Yet when shots aren't falling in the half court, I'm not sure why you don't want to try and create some opportunities by beating the press down the court when the opportunity presents itself.
Right, it seems part of the system and what is done in practice. Smith is going to wear down for sure. You can see it late in games. I agree, make them pay for pressing and beat them down court.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT