ADVERTISEMENT

Obligatory PPG thread

You may be correct about painter sitting CE, but painter always let Biggie get his double double before sitting him. I think this year Painter allows CE to inflate his numbers against non conference teams so so it helps get BIG10 player of the year type numbers. Let him get 35 then take him out against a Chicago State team.

You may be correct about painter sitting CE, but painter always let Biggie get his double double before sitting him. I think this year Painter allows CE to inflate his numbers against non conference teams so so it helps get BIG10 player of the year type numbers. Let him get 35 then take him out against a Chicago State team.

I would agree. Painter did allow Biggie to stay in most games until he got his double / double to help showcase him. I could see Painter leaving Carsen in like Biggie until he gets his 20 points. But, I don't believe Painter will showcase Carsen to the extent that he's a one man show like IU will probably do with Langford. I don't see Carsen scoring more than 20-25 points in blow-out games. What I do see is Carsen scoring 25-35 points in close games as the ball will be placed in his hands down the stretch to shoot or be fouled.

And looking back at last year, there were many posters who observed one of Purdue's biggest deficiencies was that their bench did not receive a lot of playing time as Painter relied on his seniors. With a young, and talented team, I believe Painter will give more playing time to bench members. Also looking back, several key starters received injuries while playing garbage time minutes. and as a result, I don't see those huge 35 point games in those non-conference blow-outs.

I could see that, but I think Boudreaux is going to be more of a Robbie Hummel type, where he can/will score if needed, but will most of the time just play off others. From what I've seen of Hunter in HS, he looks to take over, much like CE does. Could be a very good combination having them both on the floor as both can put up a lot of points in a hurry. Of course, if Hunter can't play D, all will be out the window as he will sit. I don't see Haarms being one of our top 2 or 3 scorers unless he improves dramatically.

Umm, Hummel was the second leading scorer just slightly behind Moore in 2007. Not sure how he was playing off of others, as when I watched him play, he was generally the leader on the court for the Boilers. And Haarms is a mobile 7’2” guy who was already able to score last year. There’s no doubt in my mind he’ll be ready to go this next year.

Reactions: BBG
It's the offseason, so it's something fun to do that keeps my attention: how will the PPG averages shake out amongst next season's rotation players?

For some reference points, this past season Carsen Edwards averaged a team-best 18.5 PPG. Among the other returnees, Matt Haarms averaged 4.8, Ryan Cline 4, Nojel Eastern 3, and Grady Eifert 1.6 PPG.

The departures were Isaac Haas at 14.9 PPG, Vince Edwards at 14.5 PPG, Dakota Mathias at 12.4 PPG, P.J. Thompson at 7.1 PPG and Jacquil Taylor at 1.7 PPG.

I'll start:

Carsen Edwards 21 PPG
Evan Boudreaux 10 PPG
Nojel Eastern 8.5 PPG
Ryan Cline 8 PPG
Matt Haarms 7.5 PPG
Aaron Wheeler 6 PPG
Eric Hunter 5.5 PPG
Trevion Williams 4.5 PPG
Grady Eifert 2 PPG
Sasha Stefanovic 2 PPG
Emmanuel Dowuona (redshirt)
Carsen 23
Bordeaux 11
Haarms 10
Eastern/Cline/Wheeler 7
Hunter 5
Williams/Stefanovic/Eifert/Dow 2

I'll participate anyways knowing full well Im almost assuredly way off here

Good chance my numbers are way off with Carsen but the more I think about it, the more I think he's going to get a ton of assists rather than score like 25 ppg

Carsen 18.9
Wheeler 12.2
HAARMS 10.7
Nojel 8.9
Cline 7.6
Hunter 7.1
Bourdreax 4.5
Everyone else:

Very surprised by this thread. Edwards was at 18.5 last year? Any prediction with him under 20 is not a serious one.

With a lack of options he's good for 22+. And someone had Boudreaux at <5ppg?

Edwards -23.5
Boudreaux- 12
Haarms- 7
Cline - 6
Hunter- 6
Eastern - 5

The rest - 11?

Very surprised by this thread. Edwards was at 18.5 last year? Any prediction with him under 20 is not a serious one.

With a lack of options he's good for 22+. And someone had Boudreaux at <5ppg?

Edwards -23.5
Boudreaux- 12
Haarms- 7
Cline - 6
Hunter- 6
Eastern - 5

The rest - 11?

Last season's stats

Devonte Graham 17.3 ppg 7.3 apg
Jevon Carter 17.3 ppg 6.6 apg

National player of the year
Jalen Brunson 18.9 ppg 4.5 apg

That's just what I'm basing it on. I fully well concede Carsen may put up 25+ ppg.

I just can't see any BIG 10 player averaging over 20 points on a "winning" team. And Painter stress team ball over allowing some 5star guard to show off for the NBA scouts!

I just can't see any BIG 10 player averaging over 20 points on a "winning" team. And Painter stress team ball over allowing some 5star guard to show off for the NBA scouts!

He almost did it last year with all those seniors did he not? For Purdue to be a top tier team in the league, yeah, he's going to have to rack up a lot of assists and get others involved but he's not going to average less than last year. Just not happening.

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
He almost did it last year with all those seniors did he not? For Purdue to be a top tier team in the league, yeah, he's going to have to rack up a lot of assists and get others involved but he's not going to average less than last year. Just not happening.

Well, I think the most likely scenarios are he's either going to average 23 with 4-5 assists per game or he's going to average 18-20 with 6+ assists per game. I don't think there's a difference in either - should be completely dependent on opposing teams coverage of Carsen's PnR action.

Just speculation of course, but IF Carsen is absolutely torching teams, at some point you'd expect coaches to gameplan against Carsen and try to force the ball out of his hands and make someone else beat you - much like coaches quit leaving Purdues shooters open midway thru the conference season and just conceded Haas one on one.

I think that's when you could expect some 12-15 point, 6-8 assist games sprinkled throughout Carsen's game logs.

Reactions: Inspector100
Yeah, with the motion offense being what it is, I doubt anyone is going to average 5 or more assists a game. Eastern and Edwards are probably the only two on the team that can approach that.

There are going to be some growing pains with this group. It might take some time for the halfcourt O to operate smoothly.

Reactions: BoilerIron
Yeah, with the motion offense being what it is, I doubt anyone is going to average 5 or more assists a game. Eastern and Edwards are probably the only two on the team that can approach that.

I think you are probably going to see much more PnR action with Carsen as the point man this season. Was an article recently that of all players in the nation who used 4.5 possessions or more per game in PnR, Carsen was amongst the most efficient in the nation. A good bet you'll see more of that this year as Painter has basically said in a Dakich interview the ball will be in Carsen's hands so much more this year.

as we predict how much and who will score, to get a better idea of how the motion offense works, and how their players perform as part of it, could somebody name some of the other successful teams and players that also incorporate a similar motion offense ?

I'm not criticizing it, but I've always thought it was a spread the ball around type offense with few assists and typically every player scores making it closer to having a bunch of players with 10 point averages verses one big star player.

I'm just curious who else uses it.

There are going to be some growing pains with this group. It might take some time for the halfcourt O to operate smoothly.
Purdue ran a lot of sets last season. This will not be an equal opportunity offense. Carsen will be the clear centerpiece.

Umm, Hummel was the second leading scorer just slightly behind Moore in 2007. Not sure how he was playing off of others, as when I watched him play, he was generally the leader on the court for the Boilers. And Haarms is a mobile 7’2” guy who was already able to score last year. There’s no doubt in my mind he’ll be ready to go this next year.
My observation was that Hummel played off of his teammates, especially Moore, more often than not until his senior year. He was tremendous at taking what was available.

Carsen- 19 ppg
Evan- 11 ppg
Haarms- 10 ppg
Wheeler- 9 ppg
Nojel- 9 ppg
Cline - 9 ppg
Tre - 5 ppg
Sasha - 4 ppg
E hunt - 3 ppg
Eifert - 3 ppg
Dowuona - redshirt

82 points is a lot but I kind of feel like Carsen is going to be an assist machine and u’ve got to think Wheeler, Nojel, and Haarms will make a splash. Want to say more for Eifert and Eric but then we’d be scoring like 90 points which would be outrageous. Almost feel like Eric will be considered a redshirt possibility, but I think Tre and Dowuona are more likely. If Tre is redshirted, expect a solid 7ppg from either Eifert or Eric because both are ok rebounders(especially Eifert)

82 ppg =like this. I would have Hunter, Nojel, Carsen & Cline higher....and the following lower.... Tre , Sasha, Eifert Don't know what to make of Wheeler yet--want to see his D before I put him that high?

Reactions: Boilermaker24
Wheeler is a very hard player to predict statistically. he was the second option for his high school championship team. but in the championship game when his teammate and #1 option was double teamed and the focus of the other team's defense, he exploded offensively with the game of his life and his team won the championship game.

I believe he has the natural talent to be an explosive player. But I also believe he's too much of a team player to care about generating lofty personal stats.

Wheeler is a very hard player to predict statistically. he was the second option for his high school championship team. but in the championship game when his teammate and #1 option was double teamed and the focus of the other team's defense, he exploded offensively with the game of his life and his team won the championship game.

I believe he has the natural talent to be an explosive player. But I also believe he's too much of a team player to care about generating lofty personal stats.

Sounds like Vince

He likely won't get the minutes. I doubt he becomes the 2nd leading scorer playing 15 min/gm. Also, he was in the lowest division in high school.
He was scoring big numbers against Class 4A schools that they played. He scored 50 against FW Snider. If he can play D at the college level, he will get more than 15 min/gm. Other than Carsen, I'm not sure anyone is a lock for pt, so I'm not sure how you can justify number of minutes for anyone.

Hummel was a great player & could & did score, but was just as happy to rebound & assist as he was to score. What I'm saying is he didn't hunt shots like Carsen & Hunter do. Not sure how you could say Haarms was able to score last year, he averaged 5 pts per game & 3 boards a game. He was only on the floor because of his size & ability to block shots. He was a nice compliment to IH, but I'm not sure how he will handle being the main guy, especially only being a sophomore.

Hummel was a great player & could & did score, but was just as happy to rebound & assist as he was to score. What I'm saying is he didn't hunt shots like Carsen & Hunter do. Not sure how you could say Haarms was able to score last year, he averaged 5 pts per game & 3 boards a game. He was only on the floor because of his size & ability to block shots. He was a nice compliment to IH, but I'm not sure how he will handle being the main guy, especially only being a sophomore.

As a freshman, Haas scored 7.6 PPG and 4RPG. Maybe Haas had a better start than Haarms. But Haarms is overall a more skilled player, which is evident when you watch him play. At over 7’ with additional experience, he’ll be hard to stop. Especially if he develops a mid-range shot.

As a freshman, Haas scored 7.6 PPG and 4RPG. Maybe Haas had a better start than Haarms. But Haarms is overall a more skilled player, which is evident when you watch him play. At over 7’ with additional experience, he’ll be hard to stop. Especially if he develops a mid-range shot.

this begs the question, what did Haas do as a sophomore? Wasn't he a projected starter and Biggie was supposed to be our PF ?

how much growth can we really expect from Haarms as a sophomore?

I don't care how many point a game Carsen gets, but I sure hope he does not play towards a point total each game. CE forcing shots could be a huge detriment to this team. He just needs to play his game.

Reactions: nagemj02
Interesting look back at some early expectations vs. how things have played out so far.

Through 16 games:
Edwards 25.3
Cline 12.6
Haarms 7.6
Boudreaux 7.5
Eastern 6.1
Eifert 4.8
Wheeler 4.7
Williams 4.4
Hunter 3.0
Sasha 2.9

Think maybe Williams works his way to #3 before season's end and takes some load off Carsen.

I don't care how many point a game Carsen gets, but I sure hope he does not play towards a point total each game. CE forcing shots could be a huge detriment to this team. He just needs to play his game.
here's some superb wisdom!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT