ADVERTISEMENT

Obligatory PPG thread

nagemj02

All-American
Mar 16, 2010
It's the offseason, so it's something fun to do that keeps my attention: how will the PPG averages shake out amongst next season's rotation players?

For some reference points, this past season Carsen Edwards averaged a team-best 18.5 PPG. Among the other returnees, Matt Haarms averaged 4.8, Ryan Cline 4, Nojel Eastern 3, and Grady Eifert 1.6 PPG.

The departures were Isaac Haas at 14.9 PPG, Vince Edwards at 14.5 PPG, Dakota Mathias at 12.4 PPG, P.J. Thompson at 7.1 PPG and Jacquil Taylor at 1.7 PPG.

I'll start:

Carsen Edwards 21 PPG
Evan Boudreaux 10 PPG
Nojel Eastern 8.5 PPG
Ryan Cline 8 PPG
Matt Haarms 7.5 PPG
Aaron Wheeler 6 PPG
Eric Hunter 5.5 PPG
Trevion Williams 4.5 PPG
Grady Eifert 2 PPG
Sasha Stefanovic 2 PPG
Emmanuel Dowuona (redshirt)

It's the offseason, so it's something fun to do that keeps my attention: how will the PPG averages shake out amongst next season's rotation players?

For some reference points, this past season Carsen Edwards averaged a team-best 18.5 PPG. Among the other returnees, Matt Haarms averaged 4.8, Ryan Cline 4, Nojel Eastern 3, and Grady Eifert 1.6 PPG.

The departures were Isaac Haas at 14.9 PPG, Vince Edwards at 14.5 PPG, Dakota Mathias at 12.4 PPG, P.J. Thompson at 7.1 PPG and Jacquil Taylor at 1.7 PPG.

I'll start:

Carsen Edwards 21 PPG
Evan Boudreaux 10 PPG
Nojel Eastern 8.5 PPG
Ryan Cline 8 PPG
Matt Haarms 7.5 PPG
Aaron Wheeler 6 PPG
Eric Hunter 5.5 PPG
Trevion Williams 4.5 PPG
Grady Eifert 2 PPG
Sasha Stefanovic 2 PPG
This looks about what I would predict. Maybe a couple more points for wheeler, but other than that I agree.

Ok, I will play: Carsen 24, Nojel 12, Evan 10, Matt 8, Eric 8, Ryan 7.5, Emmanuel 5, Aaron 5, Trevion 4, Grady 2, Sasha 2, Tommy 1, Kyle 1

I'll start:

Carsen Edwards 21 PPG
Evan Boudreaux 10 PPG
Nojel Eastern 8.5 PPG
Ryan Cline 8 PPG
Matt Haarms 7.5 PPG
Aaron Wheeler 6 PPG
Eric Hunter 5.5 PPG
Trevion Williams 4.5 PPG
Grady Eifert 2 PPG
Sasha Stefanovic 2 PPG
As a team, about 70 pts. Carsen is the only consistent scorer.

CE 21
Boudreaux 9
Haarms and Eastern 7.5 each
Cline 8
Wheeler 5
Sasha, Hunter, Williams 9 total
Others 3

Just too many have never played a minute of college ball to be considered a consistent scorer. Think we struggle to get more than 70 a game.

Reactions: BCBtrio

I'll start:

Carsen Edwards 21 PPG
Evan Boudreaux 10 PPG
Nojel Eastern 8.5 PPG
Ryan Cline 8 PPG
Matt Haarms 7.5 PPG
Aaron Wheeler 6 PPG
Eric Hunter 5.5 PPG
Trevion Williams 4.5 PPG
Grady Eifert 2 PPG
Sasha Stefanovic 2 PPG

I think at least 4 go over 10 ppg. These are my guesses.

I'll take Carsen - 22 ppg
Wheeler -15 ppg
Boudreaux - 12 ppg
Nojel - 11 ppg

The others will be sub 10. I think Hunter has the chance to be 6-10 ppg. Dude gets buckets and it depends on how many minutes he gets.

I wouldn't be shocked if Wheeler has several games over 20 points. I expect him to be the breakout player. I may be guessing low on Nojel, but I would be surprised if he isn't over 10 ppg.

Reactions: Boilermaker24
Personally I think you have to break it down between the start of the season and end. As others have stated, we have quite a few people that haven't played any B1G games that we will need to depend on.

With that in mind, as a team I think we start out the season very inconsistent and average say 65 ppg. By the end of the season the team "peaks" at the right moment and we get to 75 as an average.

Painter's mentallity I think has changed (which I think was more forced by rule changes) to be more offensive than defensive. However, defense will lead to our offense at least to start the season.

Just my two pfennig.

I'll start:

Carsen Edwards 21 PPG
Evan Boudreaux 10 PPG
Nojel Eastern 8.5 PPG
Ryan Cline 8 PPG
Matt Haarms 7.5 PPG
Aaron Wheeler 6 PPG
Eric Hunter 5.5 PPG
Trevion Williams 4.5 PPG
Grady Eifert 2 PPG
Sasha Stefanovic 2 PPG
Pretty good guess. I might add a couple more points to Haarms number and interchange Hunter and Sasha. I also have the feeling that Boudreaux is going to do more damage than you predict - that's good!
Haarms. 9.5 PPG
Sasha. 5.5 PPG
Boudreaux. 11.5 PPG

As a team, about 70 pts. Carsen is the only consistent scorer.

CE 21
Boudreaux 9
Haarms and Eastern 7.5 each
Cline 8
Wheeler 5
Sasha, Hunter, Williams 9 total
Others 3

Just too many have never played a minute of college ball to be considered a consistent scorer. Think we struggle to get more than 70 a game.

Well 70 ppg would have us as the 12th best offense last year and a non - NCAAT. In conference games 70 ppg puts us @ 8-10th place.

Unless you have the #1 D, like Mich did last year, you need to score 80 ppg to be competitive....and still by the end of the year Michigan's scoring was higher than their year's average.

Looking at the top two teams, Purdue and MSU, were scoring 80 ppg last year.....with conference games getting tougher @ ~ 77 ppg.

So we better better be 77-80 to be competitive....depending on whether you are looking @ all games or conference stats.
http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-baskbl/mbb-confonly.html

Reactions: BCBtrio
Well 70 ppg would have us as the 12th best offense last year and a non - NCAAT. In conference games 70 ppg puts us @ 8-10th place.

Unless you have the #1 D, like Mich did last year, you need to score 80 ppg to be competitive....and still by the end of the year Michigan's scoring was higher than their year's average.

Looking at the top two teams, Purdue and MSU, were scoring 80 ppg last year.....with conference games getting tougher @ ~ 77 ppg.

So we better better be 77-80 to be competitive....depending on whether you are looking @ all games or conference stats.
I think we will be around 78-79 points out of conference, and 75-76 PPG in conference.

In college basketball as a whole scoring gonna be different this year unless you are a team that brought back a lot of your scoring. Many teams lost veteran players ,scoring,rebounding etc all in a season so this season will be interesting to see who steps up and be the offensive threat that some were last season. The big 10 in particular a lot of important players came back and overall the conference could be wide open bcuz so many teams important players came back now it’s gonna be a battle each game these games are played. Purdue has athleticism length and speed like no other and still has enough shooters to manufacture points as well as players that can get create their own shot so it’s just a matter of time how this team come together and figure each other out offensively and defensively and if they do clique right away watch out this team could be a team nobody wanna play when big 10 play starts. They no they are being counted out bcuz of what was lost offensively but I believe these youngins with enough experienced players gonna shock college basketball this season. Nojel isn’t offensively challenged trust me knowing you gonna play changes a mindset. He is ready for that challenge like all of them are. Don’t count them out I believe they are a team I would not sleep on.

I'll start:

Carsen Edwards 21 PPG
Evan Boudreaux 10 PPG
Nojel Eastern 8.5 PPG
Ryan Cline 8 PPG
Matt Haarms 7.5 PPG
Aaron Wheeler 6 PPG
Eric Hunter 5.5 PPG
Trevion Williams 4.5 PPG
Grady Eifert 2 PPG
Sasha Stefanovic 2 PPG

Carsen- 19 ppg
Evan- 11 ppg
Haarms- 10 ppg
Wheeler- 9 ppg
Nojel- 9 ppg
Cline - 9 ppg
Tre - 5 ppg
Sasha - 4 ppg
E hunt - 3 ppg
Eifert - 3 ppg
Dowuona - redshirt

82 points is a lot but I kind of feel like Carsen is going to be an assist machine and u’ve got to think Wheeler, Nojel, and Haarms will make a splash. Want to say more for Eifert and Eric but then we’d be scoring like 90 points which would be outrageous. Almost feel like Eric will be considered a redshirt possibility, but I think Tre and Dowuona are more likely. If Tre is redshirted, expect a solid 7ppg from either Eifert or Eric because both are ok rebounders(especially Eifert)

Does not matter where we were last year or where you may want us to be this year. It is what a team is capable of doing.

Historically Painter’s teams have averaged 73 pts or less a majority of years. It is only the last 3 yrs we have been better. Averaging 78, 80 and 80.

Other than Carsen, no one has multiple double digit scoring games. Meaning at least 8-10 games and none have multiple back to back double digit scoring games. Boudreaux did his scoring two yrs ago in a lower level conference. I just don’t see first yr players putting up double digit numbers. Heck, 5-star recruit Swanigan only averaged 8 his freshman year.

I would not be surprised to see the team only average in the mid 60’s.

Carsen- 19 ppg
Evan- 11 ppg
Haarms- 10 ppg
Wheeler- 9 ppg
Nojel- 9 ppg
Cline - 9 ppg
Tre - 5 ppg
Sasha - 4 ppg
E hunt - 3 ppg
Eifert - 3 ppg
Dowuona - redshirt

82 points is a lot but I kind of feel like Carsen is going to be an assist machine and u’ve got to think Wheeler, Nojel, and Haarms will make a splash. Want to say more for Eifert and Eric but then we’d be scoring like 90 points which would be outrageous. Almost feel like Eric will be considered a redshirt possibility, but I think Tre and Dowuona are more likely. If Tre is redshirted, expect a solid 7ppg from either Eifert or Eric because both are ok rebounders(especially Eifert)
I like what you have. I would personally take Eifert out, because I don't think he plays meaningful minutes this year. This would get the scoring total down to 79 which is where I think we will be.

Carsen- 19 ppg
Evan- 11 ppg
Haarms- 10 ppg
Wheeler- 9 ppg
Nojel- 9 ppg
Cline - 9 ppg
Tre - 5 ppg
Sasha - 4 ppg
E hunt - 3 ppg
Eifert - 3 ppg
Dowuona - redshirt

Doubtful if Dowuona will redshirt. Would leave us extremely thin at the 4 and 5. More so at the 5

Doubtful if Dowuona will redshirt. Would leave us extremely thin at the 4 and 5. More so at the 5
Haarms, Evan, Tre, and Wheeler are enough bodies for the 4/5 spot. Historically Painter has only played 3 players between those two spots anyways.

I'll start:

Carsen Edwards 21 PPG
Evan Boudreaux 10 PPG
Nojel Eastern 8.5 PPG
Ryan Cline 8 PPG
Matt Haarms 7.5 PPG
Aaron Wheeler 6 PPG
Eric Hunter 5.5 PPG
Trevion Williams 4.5 PPG
Grady Eifert 2 PPG
Sasha Stefanovic 2 PPG
Hunter will be our second leading scorer.

Hunter will be our second leading scorer.

Boudreaux will likely be the #2 scorer, assuming he starts and gets the minutes. I’d pick Haarms next. I’d love to see Hunter have that much impact. But I think that’s a tall order.

Does not matter where we were last year or where you may want us to be this year. It is what a team is capable of doing.

Historically Painter’s teams have averaged 73 pts or less a majority of years. It is only the last 3 yrs we have been better. Averaging 78, 80 and 80.

Other than Carsen, no one has multiple double digit scoring games. Meaning at least 8-10 games and none have multiple back to back double digit scoring games. Boudreaux did his scoring two yrs ago in a lower level conference. I just don’t see first yr players putting up double digit numbers. Heck, 5-star recruit Swanigan only averaged 8 his freshman year.

Shot clock and a few other rules changed a few years ago. You need to factor that in. Game is a,little different now.

Shot clock and a few other rules changed a few years ago. You need to factor that in. Game is a,little different now.

The hand-checking rule on defense has also changed things. It's limited Purdue in their ability to get steals and score more points off of turnovers.

Reactions: Schnelk
Boudreaux will likely be the #2 scorer, assuming he starts and gets the minutes. I’d pick Haarms next. I’d love to see Hunter have that much impact. But I think that’s a tall order.
I think Pat has it right. If I were to bet, I would take Boudreaux for the second leading scorer.

In fact my bet for the rank would be:
Carsen (obviously)
Boudreaux
Haarms
Wheeler
Eastern
Sasha
- yes, I changed my mind and have decided Sasha will score more than Cline. Ugh, that hurt because I want Cline to be the assassin.

Reactions: purduepat1969
The hand-checking rule on defense has also changed things. It's limited Purdue in their ability to get steals and score more points off of turnovers.
Is this really true? I didn't think the rule changed so much as it was an increased emphasis on enforcement. Kind of like if the speed limit is 55 and local guys that used to post up didn't pop you until 65 but the state boys patrolling the area now fire up the lights at 63... they didn't really change the rule on anybody; they just started checking the people who were pushing the boundaries a little too far (where "far" is obviously relative).

Last edited:

If "mid 60's" is 65, I'm taking the over. But agree 100% with the thought process. I think Purdue's average length of possession will increase a little this year, thereby reducing absolute scoring, all else equal. The reason being, the team has a lot less offensive firepower than a year ago and I think Painter will stress shot selection. DM, VE, PJT all basically had a green light to take any shot they felt was a good one as early in the shot clock as they wanted. Just don't see quite as much leeway being given to a lesser experienced group.

Then most teams would have a similar 7-10 pt per game increase in the last 3-4 years. That is not the case. Increase for Purdue is probably just having 3-4 returning starters the last 3 yrs.

Reactions: nagemj02
Then our scoring should be lower, not higher.

Is this really true? I didn't think the rule changed so much as it was an increased emphasis on enforcement. Kind of like if the speed limit is 55 and local guys that used to post up didn't pop you until 65 but the state boys patrolling the area now fire up the lights at 63... they didn't really change the rule on anybody; they just started checking the people who were pushing the boundaries a little too far (where "far" is obviously relative).

I think that affected Purdue when the rule went into effect prior to the '13-'14 season. They could get away with some of the hand-checking type of steals in the Kramer/Grant/Moore/Hummel, etc. years.

Carsen: 19
Cline: 11
Boudreaux: 10
Haarms: 9
Nojel: 8 (but likely 5 assists)
Wheeler: 8 (but he’ll have nights where he goes for 15-20 and games where he doesn’t get much...remember it’ll be his first season playing college ball)
Williams: 4
Sasha: 4
Dow: 2
Grady: 2
Hunter 2

Still think this team can average 80 a game given the offensive minds on the coaching staff.

Carsen: 19
Cline: 11
Boudreaux: 10
Haarms: 9
Nojel: 8 (but likely 5 assists)
Wheeler: 8 (but he’ll have nights where he goes for 15-20 and games where he doesn’t get much...remember it’ll be his first season playing college ball)
Williams: 4
Sasha: 4
Dow: 2
Grady: 2
Hunter 2

Still think this team can average 80 a game given the offensive minds on the coaching staff.
Who was the last Purdue player to average 5 assists? I'm not sure the offense will allow for it.

Who was the last Purdue player to average 5 assists? I'm not sure the offense will allow for it.

good question

It might be all the way back to Tony Jones ('87-'90) the last time a Purdue player averaged 5 or more assists per game.

Then most teams would have a similar 7-10 pt per game increase in the last 3-4 years. That is not the case. Increase for Purdue is probably just having 3-4 returning starters the last 3 yrs.

true

Vince Edwards was a 4-year starter. Dakota Mathias was essentially a 4-year starter (split time with Kendall Stephens his freshman year), P.J. Thompson a 3-year starter, and Isaac Haas a 4-year significant contributor.

Bruce Parkinson averaged 6.2 for his career and had likely the highest season total of 7.4 in 1974-1975. That is what I could drum up.

For CMP led teams at Purdue, Lewis Jackson had 4.2 in the 2011-2012 season. Still think if CMP does more up tempo and PNR, it’ll allow Nojel to use his height to find open shooters and cutters.

This topic brought back a funny memory. When I was young, coming off a good junior season, a fan approached me with his prediction that I’d be even better next year. He pegged me at 28 ppg, then proceeded to go through the lineup. I politely stopped him when the team was over 90 ppg and he had a couple players left to project. Thanks for the laugh. Go Boilers!

I think Pat has it right. If I were to bet, I would take Boudreaux for the second leading scorer.

In fact my bet for the rank would be:
Carsen (obviously)
Boudreaux
Haarms
Wheeler
Eastern
Sasha
- yes, I changed my mind and have decided Sasha will score more than Cline. Ugh, that hurt because I want Cline to be the assassin.

I would be shocked if sasha scores more than Cline this year. I know this is a shiny new object situation but Cline will play more and be more involved. It's a senior vs unheralded redshirt freshman.

This is fun though to pass the time.
Carsen - 22
Evan B. - 10
Haarms- 10
Cline - 9
Wheeler - 8
Eastern - 7 (I do believe he will 5+ assists. He's a special passer Purdue hasn't seen in my time 2000 on)
Everyone else - 3 or less (will have important games I'm sure but not consistently)

I could see that, but I think Boudreaux is going to be more of a Robbie Hummel type, where he can/will score if needed, but will most of the time just play off others. From what I've seen of Hunter in HS, he looks to take over, much like CE does. Could be a very good combination having them both on the floor as both can put up a lot of points in a hurry. Of course, if Hunter can't play D, all will be out the window as he will sit. I don't see Haarms being one of our top 2 or 3 scorers unless he improves dramatically.

Last edited:
That's bold. I don't necessarily disagree, because we don't have a clear cut #2 option. I just have a hard time seeing Hunter getting the minutes necessary for that to happen.
If you've watched him play in HS, it's not that bold. He could drop 40 on anyone.

If you've watched him play in HS, it's not that bold. He could drop 40 on anyone.
He likely won't get the minutes. I doubt he becomes the 2nd leading scorer playing 15 min/gm. Also, he was in the lowest division in high school.

I believe a lot of the scoring will depend if Painter goes with Wheeler at the three or allows SENIOR Cline to start as part of a 3 guard offense. I would prefer he go with Wheeler. if Wheeler starts, I see our 2 guards and Evan being our top 3 scoring options. if Cline starts, I see a more balanced scoring attack. Either way, with our non-conference games, I see an 80 point game average

and if Purdue gets off to a slow start, I could see a youth movement starting much like our graduating seniors did as freshmen with Hunter, Williams, Sasha, Wheeler, and Dow receiving more minutes than this board hopes for or projects. .

if Wheeler starts...
Carsen : 19 ppg
Boudreaux: 13 ppg
Eastern: 12 ppg
Wheeler: 8 ppg
haarms: 8 ppg
Cline: 8 ppg
Hunter: 6 ppg
Sasha: 4 ppg
Williams: 4 ppg

80 ppg

if Cline Starts...
Carsen : 16 ppg
Eastern 10 ppg
Cline: 10 ppg
Boudreaux: 10 PPg
Haarms: 8 ppg
Wheeler: 8 ppg
Hunter: 6 ppg
Sasha: 6 ppg
Williams; 4 ppg
Grady/Dow/Luce/other 2ppg

80 ppg

My ppg for Carsen is low because with 5 new players, I expect in a blow-out game, Carsen will sit more and allow the younger players minutes to develop. I also believe Painter will be spending a lot of the preseason looking for the right combination which will also take minutes and scoring opportunities away from Carsen. I can't see Painter ever running an offense to specifically feature one guard throwing up 30 shots a game. I also see a lot of teams targeting Carsen, and he will dish it off more to the open man rather than looking to score. I believe we will have an inside scoring player. I just don't see Haarms being that player. I see our inside points will come from Boudreaux and Wheeler.

I also see Painter praising certain players as a motivational tool for others who he hopes will step up their game. in other words praising Cline in hopes that Eastern breaks out like Carsen did. or talking about William's weight. people keep talking about Williams needing to lose some pounds. he seemed to do fine at his current weight. if he was at the weight some of you want, he'd be a 25/16/6 one and done. and Purdue would have their version of Stockton and Malone.

there was a lot of talk, boasting and predictions by posters last year of what certain players were going to do. maybe we should search for and bump some of those old threads to read some of those predictions.

ADVERTISEMENT