ADVERTISEMENT

Now, Purdue has to pull the shocker

rgarlitz

All-American
Jun 16, 2012
Not that far fetched, as several have posted.

UConn will be the appointed media darlings. I guess it's their due. They are the defending champs.

BUT, Purdue doesn't have to win a seven-game series against UConn. They just have to be better for 2 hours on Monday night.

I'll be honest, it will take our A+ game and probably UCONN with a B+ or worse game to win.

They are ridiculously varied in how they can score and their defense is ridiculously good.

Not impossible but I am not going to blame anyone if we can't pull it off.

I'll be honest, it will take our A+ game and probably UCONN with a B+ or worse game to win.

They are ridiculously varied in how they can score and their defense is ridiculously good.

Not impossible but I am not going to blame anyone if we can't pull it off.
I just disagree. They have ONE fewer loss than us and we played a much harder schedule and our 4th loss was with smith hurt. We lost 2 OT games of those 4.

Uconn is not a great 3pt shooting team. Can clingon stop edey inside? If refs are like today it may be an issue but if they call actual fouls he wont be able to stop him.

Their center doesnt shoot 3s and one of their guards is a bad 3 pt shooter, castle, amd we can sag off him or put a bad matchup there and sag.

This is a coin flip game. Uconn may be favored but it wont be by much.

Last edited:
I just disagree. They have ONE fewer loss than us and we played a much harder schedule and our 4th loss was with smith hurt. We lost 2 OT games of those 4.

Uconn is not a great 3pt shooting team. Can clingon stop edey inside? If refs are like today it may be an issue but if they call actual fouls he wont be able to stop him.

Their center dkesnt shoot 3s and one of their guards is a bad 3 ot shooter, castle, amd we can sag off him or put a bad matchup there and sag.

This is a coin flip game. Uconn may be favored but it wont be by much.
UConn a 6 pt fav.

UConn a 6 pt fav.
Wow that was fast. And Im shocked by that line. That seems like a good bet on us.

I truly think this is 50/50. Obv if we play bad we will lose. But if we shoot our season average from 3 and smith is smith, we will be right there

They need to play their A game against us as well. Remember, we are here for a reason. We are just as good and we have the reigning NPOY. Let's get it!

Reactions: SKYDOG and rgarlitz
I was surprised by the line: Uconn -6

Clinigan seems to be more agile than Edey...who has the greater length?
Clingons majority of scoring comes on PnR lobs and dump offs, not 1on1 in the post. He doesnt worry me. Their length and quickness does. They arent a great 3pt team outside of spencer who we have to lock in on and give up the dribble with him.

Edey will be able to sit in the paint on defense, and I actually think drop coverage vs this team in particular makes some sense, except on castle who we SHOULD go under on EVERY screen. I HOPE painter does so

There is no better way for this team to redeem the loss to a 16 seed than by beating the smug defending Champs in the national title game.

UConn is very good, but Purdue should be playing with an extra edge/motivation due to how last year ended.

Can't wait for Monday.

There is no better way for this team to redeem the loss to a 16 seed than by beating the smug defending Champs in the national title game.

UConn is very good, but Purdue should be playing with an extra edge/motivation due to how last year ended.

Can't wait for Monday.
Can you imagine if 2 teams that lost to 16s both win it all the next year? What an absurd story line

Reactions: seminolesboilers
ALmost every single analyst is picking uconn amd making it seem like an easy choice.

Painter needs to feed off that and get it back to how we entered this thing... everyone doubting us

Reactions: rgarlitz
We have a shot. Kinda in the same ballpark of Gonzaga vs us. Just gotta pray we play our A game.
Well sure we have a shot. But Purdue has to play like they did against Gonzaga to win I agree. Where we are hitting our shots, not turning the ball over, and Edey is getting high 20s to 30.

Probably need UCONN to miss some shots, a little foul trouble would be nice too.

It's no knock on Purdue to admit that if both teams play A+ UCONN probably wins. But we definitely can't play like we did the last two games. UCONN is head and shoulders better than TN and NCST.

Reactions: Roeder
Well sure we have a shot. But Purdue has to play like they did against Gonzaga to win I agree. Where we are hitting our shots, not turning the ball over, and Edey is getting high 20s to 30.

Probably need UCONN to miss some shots, a little foul trouble would be nice too.

It's no knock on Purdue to admit that if both teams play A+ UCONN probably wins. But we definitely can't play like we did the last two games. UCONN is head and shoulders better than TN and NCST.
Our A+ game is the best team in the country. Better than Uconns A+. We have the most dominant post scorer in the nation and in our A+ scenario we are making over 40% from 3 and not turning it over. Uconn isnt beating us if edey gets them in foul trouble, we hit double digit 3s, and we have less than 8 turnovers. We are unbeatable in that scenario.

Uconn may have more room for error. I would agree with that I think. But both teams at their best Im taking us.

What truly scares me is the refs allowing illegal defense with 2 hands in edeys back all game yet again. Clingon probably weighs 30 lbs less than Burns and at 5 or 6 inches taller meaning his center of gravity is much higher, so hes easier to move for edey. If hes allowed 2 hands, that negates alot of that.

The refs were horrendous today. If the refs call it like today, I agree we would need a near perfect game.

If refs call the fouls that should be called, Uconn is going to have both bigs in foul trouble and be playing a type of game in that scenario that they have never been in before.

I think I heard tonight Clingon has never fouled out before.

Our A+ game is the best team in the country. Better than Uconns A+. We have the most dominant post scorer in the nation and in our A+ scenario we are making over 40% from 3 and not turning it over. Uconn isnt beating us if edey gets them in foul trouble, we hit double digit 3s, and we have less than 8 turnovers. We are unbeatable in that scenario.

Uconn may have more room for error. I would agree with that I think. But both teams at their best Im taking us.

What truly scares me is the refs allowing illegal defense with 2 hands in edeys back all game yet again. Clingon probably weighs 30 lbs less than Burns and at 5 or 6 inches taller meaning his center of gravity is much higher, so hes easier to move for edey. If hes allowed 2 hands, that negates alot of that.

The refs were horrendous today. If the refs call it like today, I agree we would need a near perfect game.

If refs call the fouls that should be called, Uconn is going to have both bigs in foul trouble and be playing a type of game in that scenario that they have never been in before.

If Clingon isn't fouling Edey, Edey will get 40 points. That is how everyone defends Edey, counting on the refs calling less than half the actual fouls.

Reactions: Do Dah Day

The refs ain't fouling out Clingan Monday night.

UCONN is the one team deeper than us and Clingan may give up some points to Edey but he's definitely going to be the toughest defender Zach has faced in quite awhile.

It's going to take exactly what Fletcher Loyer just said, the best game Purdue has played the last two years.

If Clingon isn't fouling Edey, Edey will get 40 points. That is how everyone defends Edey, counting on the refs calling less than half the actual fouls.
Agreed. Im worried if they let clingon foul and dont call it... like today... and like against tenn

The refs ain't fouling out Clingan Monday night.

UCONN is the one team deeper than us and Clingan may give up some points to Edey but he's definitely going to be the toughest defender Zach has faced in quite awhile.

It's going to take exactly what Fletcher Loyer just said, the best game Purdue has played the last two years.
I dont think he will foul out but I can certainly see a scenario, again, IF refs call fouls, where he and their thinner shorter backup are dealing with foul trouble and trading spots on the bench and having to play passively on D. Not sure uconn has dealt with that at all

I dont think he will foul out but I can certainly see a scenario, again, IF refs call fouls, where he and their thinner shorter backup are dealing with foul trouble and trading spots on the bench and having to play passively on D. Not sure uconn has dealt with that at all
I don't think we can count on winning because UCONN is playing passively anywhere. We need to have our best game shooting, our best defense, few turnovers and we need UCONN to not go off from three.

We do that and it's anyone's game. If not, well, UCONN is just a really really good team.

I would say TN plays a more physical defense.

100% agree.

Reactions: krazychicagod
Everyone are going to have to get their licks in. That means Gillis is going to have to hit on a couple, Fletch, and Jones. Smith and Edey are going to have to have great games as well... Obviously.

Reactions: rgarlitz and SKYDOG
This will be a monumentally tough task to say the least. Purdue is most certainly capable, but Uconn is just loaded with talent. Zach needs to be Zach but he will need help

No matter what, just getting to this game after last year is something else. Painter has got his foot in the door as being an "elite" coach.

We can do it. We won @ AL, we won @ Illinois, beat AZ when they were playing well. As always low TOs, hit FTs, but yes, going to need 2-3 guards with great games, Edey being Superman and refs that call it by the rules. They often play well when challenged. But UConn is so good, we could play well and still lose.

Love to win this for Purdue legacy.
Love to win it for a high character coach who does things right.
Love to win this to humble their jerkwad coach.
Glad to see them on a Monday in April no matter how it turns out!!

alabama shot 47 percent from 3 and made 11 and still lost by 15 points. we will need our a game and put clingan in foul trouble and then we win.

Speaking of keys to winning and winning the rebound battle - anyone notice that the tourney ball causes really long rebound situations?

There is a shooting coach on Twitter who walks through the inconsistency with this ball from rebounding to dribbling. Made me think of the one outlet Lance lost control of the ball and it went out of bounds.

Last thing, UCONN reminds me of Goose’s comments about Iceman in Top Gun. “Ice cold, no mistakes”.

Going to be a war come Monday.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
UConn should be favored, but I think that 6 1/2 seems like too many points. UConn is a great team, but Purdue has also done it all year and comes in very hungry and focused. I expect Purdue to make this a great game, win or lose.

We need to own the paint, period!
Rebound with authority.
Every loose ball is ours.
No second shots.
No easy layups....especially Clingan and Castle.
Force low % mid-range jumpers.
IMO, Gillis and TKR are the keys to winning this game.
If they rebound and shoot well, I like our chances.
Boiler Up!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT