ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame 76, Purdue 39

That was a complete ass whooping. Can't imagine how good ND can be when they get the injured players back. But, pretty much everything went in their favor today. Yet it shows you what is possible if you have really good players. We have some potential but it isn't with the team as constituted this year. our seniors are Ok only when they play mediocre teams and get shown up badly when playing good teams.

I like the promise of stevenson(?), Layden and Swanson. And we have already seen the talent of our freshman pg. We are going to need to breakthrough and reel in a couple of top 10-15 players if we want to get much better though.

The Sr’s are mediocre at best players, time for them to move on, probably great young ladies, mediocre D-1 basketball players.
And yet they are still better than the players behind them on the bench, unless you think the coach is completely incompetent to know who the best players are and is intentionally playing inferior players. The frosh other than Jones and Stevenson have not shown well when they have gotten minutes against any but the softest of the marshmellow tams we have played to date.

And yet they are still better than the players behind them on the bench, unless you think the coach is completely incompetent to know who the best players are and is intentionally playing inferior players. The frosh other than Jones and Stevenson have not shown well when they have gotten minutes against any but the softest of the marshmellow tams we have played to date.
Yes, I said previously that coach Geralds is in a pickle because 1). The seniors give her the best chance to win against a number of teams 2) the youngest players have the most potential and could use the court time to improve but will almost certainly result in many more losses

Reactions: MichaelRR
Yes, I said previously that coach Geralds is in a pickle because 1). The seniors give her the best chance to win against a number of teams 2) the youngest players have the most potential and could use the court time to improve but will almost certainly result in many more losses

And like it or not, the optics matter. IF we want to keep the portal open, we can not afford to sit three 5th year seniors that are all transfers unless they are injured or get passed up by better players. That is just giving the opposition coaches great ammo to use against us in recruiting wars for portal players. Even in recruiting freshmen it would be very damaging for KG to earn a reputation for not playing the best players and favoring freshmen over seniors if the season takes a downward turn.

Yeah they are not a good basketball team. Don’t think Katie will be here long. Do not grab your coaches from NAIA.
First off, you're an idiot with that CKG comment. But agree they arent a good team.

Second, I really, really hate when Michael makes good points. Im in favor of giving the young kids more minutes. Let them improve so they're ready to go with Pool and Ameyah play next year.

First off, you're an idiot with that CKG comment. But agree they arent a good team.

Second, I really, really hate when Michael makes good points. Im in favor of giving the young kids more minutes. Let them improve so they're ready to go with Pool and Ameyah play next year.
I am all in favor of getting Swanson and maybe Monson more minutes, but they have to produce to keep them. Hopefully ISU will be a good game for those two to get some extened minutes and prove they deserve more. I would really like one of McKenna, Mila, or Alaina to step up and be a decent player off the bench, but right now none of them are, and we desperately need a backup post player to give MA and Caitlyn some rest here and there.

And I don't hold your second point against you... ;)

Last edited:
Yeah they are not a good basketball team. Don’t think Katie will be here long. Do not grab your coaches from NAIA.

Versyp was here what 13-14 years? Unless we change ADs, there is little chance KG gets fired as long as she stays out of last place in the Big Ten IMHO. Bobinski just doesn't give a rats ass about the non-revenue sports.

And like it or not, the optics matter. IF we want to keep the portal open, we can not afford to sit three 5th year seniors that are all transfers unless they are injured or get passed up by better players. That is just giving the opposition coaches great ammo to use against us in recruiting wars for portal players. Even in recruiting freshmen it would be very damaging for KG to earn a reputation for not playing the best players and favoring freshmen over seniors if the season takes a downward turn.
As I said coach is in a pickle with the current players available. And by the way I think every one of the players are great people and reps of Purdue. Just talking about their athletic talent compared to the very good teaams

I’m not in favor of sitting them, however, I looked at todays minutes, the 5th year Sr’s are playing 30+ minutes a game, in a 40 point loss that shouldn’t happen.

I’m not in favor of sitting them, however, I looked at todays minutes, the 5th year Sr’s are playing 30+ minutes a game, in a 40 point loss that shouldn’t happen.

It all depends on when you throw in the towel. Too early might cause your team to feel like you gave up on them. Everyone available played, and all but Monson (4) got at least 5 minutes. McKenna was the only one that really did much in her time of the floor though. The problem is trying to get the unrated frosh minutes earlier in the game to keep the starters from having to play 36 minutes a night or so, but the youngsters have to produce for that to keep us from a losing season.

Agreed. Younger layden looked good in her minutes. One thing I did notice was Stevenson. She took a ton of shots but many were contested and she was getting beat up all day and just kept going back. Thinking back to the start of the season she wouldn't even attempt those shots and now she will. With a little more time hopefully shell start to convert.

Agreed. Younger layden looked good in her minutes. One thing I did notice was Stevenson. She took a ton of shots but many were contested and she was getting beat up all day and just kept going back. Thinking back to the start of the season she wouldn't even attempt those shots and now she will. With a little more time hopefully shell start to convert.

Mary Ashley has been the best thing about this team most of the year IMO. She was the only player not intimidated by Bettis in the UCLA game and she was battling against ND long after many of our team had resigned themselves to a bad beating.

I want to address this idea that we need to flush the season and go with a youth movement. What makes any of you believe unranked Swanson, Monson, A. Harper, and McKenna are remotely close to being ready to play full games in Big Ten play and contribute? The two healthy ranked freshmen we pulled in are getting minutes already, the unranked need the time to develop, and it likely will take years IF they ever become Big Ten capable starters but they absolutely are not ready at this point in time. "IF they cannot play, why were they recruited?" Because we are not in position to pick up 4+ ready to play ranked freshmen in a class. Its pretty remarkable and a credit to KG she got three even if one is injured and unavailable this season. But IMO expecting an unranked freshman to come in and displace 5th year seniors and be able to play at even a decent level in BT play is about as wise as betting all the longshots at the horse track. You will occasionally be right, but mostly you will lose, and often lose big.

Agree. And conversely, it isn’t a good look for CKG to be favoring seniors over freshman, when they aren’t producing. It is critical for CKG to be known as a coach who plays the best players on her team. That is what will change the culture and opinion of her as a coach. Ivey at ND plays a freshman guard. If seniors don’t like it, then play better. She is known to put her best group on the floor, regardless of what year they are. Komara will be the next HC at Purdue. CKG just isn’t equipped to make game time decisions. She lacks any authority over her team as seen multiple times and even if you listen to her. The players rave about how she’s “cool” and she “let’s us do what we want.” That’s not accountability. That’s not high level. That’s NAIA coaching. She’s made the hallmark mistake of wanting to be friends with her players. It will cost her a long coaching career at Purdue if she doesn’t change.

• Angry
It all depends on when you throw in the towel. Too early might cause your team to feel like you gave up on them. Everyone available played, and all but Monson (4) got at least 5 minutes. McKenna was the only one that really did much in her time of the floor though. The problem is trying to get the unrated frosh minutes earlier in the game to keep the starters from having to play 36 minutes a night or so, but the youngsters have to produce for that to keep us from a losing season.
Agree. And the other issue is when some of the freshmen do get in, like yesterday, they’re playing against ND’s scrubs, so still not getting to go up against the better players. This is also why they should have had more minutes in the NC schedule.

• Sad
Agree. And conversely, it isn’t a good look for CKG to be favoring seniors over freshman, when they aren’t producing. It is critical for CKG to be known as a coach who plays the best players on her team. That is what will change the culture and opinion of her as a coach. Ivey at ND plays a freshman guard. If seniors don’t like it, then play better. She is known to put her best group on the floor, regardless of what year they are. Komara will be the next HC at Purdue. CKG just isn’t equipped to make game time decisions. She lacks any authority over her team as seen multiple times and even if you listen to her. The players rave about how she’s “cool” and she “let’s us do what we want.” That’s not accountability. That’s not high level. That’s NAIA coaching. She’s made the hallmark mistake of wanting to be friends with her players. It will cost her a long coaching career at Purdue if she doesn’t change.

I am getting tired of this, what on earth makes you think that the unranked frosh are better than the seniors? Because on the floor they look lost and unable to handle play at this level yet. They have shown nearly ZERO ability to play against a P5 level opponent, any of them. Playing the frosh ahead of the seniors we have 3 wins max left on the schedule IMO

Agree. And the other issue is when some of the freshmen do get in, like yesterday, they’re playing against ND’s scrubs, so still not getting to go up against the better players. This is also why they should have had more minutes in the NC schedule.

ND only dressed 8 because of injuries, so no, they still faced 2 starters at least, and pretty much looked awful, Only McKenna made a positive impact IMO. The end of the bench is not ready to play, and throwing them to the wolves to lose all but a handfull of games would be as damaging to their development as it would be to the teams reputation. The best players are playing, and just because they are not good enough you have somehow come up with this completely unsupported fantasy that the unranked and unheralded freshmen can come in and do better without one iota of evidence to back up such an absurd claim.

Reactions: BoilerRingside
Mary Ashley has been the best thing about this team most of the year IMO. She was the only player not intimidated by Bettis in the UCLA game and she was battling against ND long after many of our team had resigned themselves to a bad beating.

I want to address this idea that we need to flush the season and go with a youth movement. What makes any of you believe unranked Swanson, Monson, A. Harper, and McKenna are remotely close to being ready to play full games in Big Ten play and contribute? The two healthy ranked freshmen we pulled in are getting minutes already, the unranked need the time to develop, and it likely will take years IF they ever become Big Ten capable starters but they absolutely are not ready at this point in time. "IF they cannot play, why were they recruited?" Because we are not in position to pick up 4+ ready to play ranked freshmen in a class. Its pretty remarkable and a credit to KG she got three even if one is injured and unavailable this season. But IMO expecting an unranked freshman to come in and displace 5th year seniors and be able to play at even a decent level in BT play is about as wise as betting all the longshots at the horse track. You will occasionally be right, but mostly you will lose, and often lose big.
Huge fan of MA. Confident. Works hard all the time. Should cause her teammates to want to work harder as well. Good fundamentals. Bright future for her. Regardless of what year a player is, the best players should always be on the floor. HS rankings really don’t mean much. There are plenty of highly ranked HS players who get to college and disappear and struggle. Play the best you have, when you have them, regardless of what year they are.

• Wow
Huge fan of MA. Confident. Works hard all the time. Should cause her teammates to want to work harder as well. Good fundamentals. Bright future for her. Regardless of what year a player is, the best players should always be on the floor. HS rankings really don’t mean much. There are plenty of highly ranked HS players who get to college and disappear and struggle. Play the best you have, when you have them, regardless of what year they are.
And we are.... you have NOTHING but your dissatisfaction to say otherwise. The fact that MA moved into the starting lineup second game shows KG is playing the best players despite their class, despite your ridiculous contention she isn't. And rankings aren't perfect, but players outside the top 100 are VERY rarely impact players in college, and you want to start a bunch of them as raw frosh so we can lose out....... SMDH

Last edited:
ND only dressed 8 because of injuries, so no, they still faced 2 starters at least, and pretty much looked awful, Only McKenna made a positive impact IMO. The end of the bench is not ready to play, and throwing them to the wolves to lose all but a handfull of games would be as damaging to their development as it would be to the teams reputation. The best players are playing, and just because they are not good enough you have somehow come up with this completely unsupported fantasy that the unranked and unheralded freshmen can come in and do better without one iota of evidence to back up such an absurd claim.
I am getting tired of this, what on earth makes you think that the unranked frosh are better than the seniors? Because on the floor they look lost and unable to handle play at this level yet. They have shown nearly ZERO ability to play against a P5 level opponent, any of them. Playing the frosh ahead of the seniors we have 3 wins max left on the schedule IMO
Missed my point. Seniors believe they can play however they want, because they’re seniors. No accountability from CKG and their mediocrity will continue. And so will the results, especially against solid teams. Again, you place too much emphasis on rankings. Ranked HS players do not always translate to highly successful college players. Also, HS players who weren’t ranked high, can translate to successful college players. Conversely, if our freshman can’t withstand being in games at this point, when other Big Ten/ACC programs are playing their freshmen, well, you’ve made my point from the other day …. 1. Some freshmen maybe shouldn’t be at Purdue and 2. There’s no room for courtesy offers in this conference. That’s on CKG and her inability to recruit high level players.

• Angry
And we are.... you have NOTHING but your dissatisfaction to say otherwise. The fact that MA moved into the starting lineup second game shows KG is playing the best players despite their class, despite your ridiculous contention sure isn't. And rankings aren't perfect, but players outside the top 100 are VERY rarely impact players in college, and you want to start a bunch of them as raw frosh so we can lose out....... SMDH
Did I say to start a bunch of them? Give them
minutes. It’s how they will learn. Your anger clouds your ability to have a discussion.

• Sad
Missed my point. Seniors believe they can play however they want, because they’re seniors. No accountability from CKG and their mediocrity will continue. And so will the results, especially against solid teams. Again, you place too much emphasis on rankings. Ranked HS players do not always translate to highly successful college players. Also, HS players who weren’t ranked high, can translate to successful college players. Conversely, if our freshman can’t withstand being in games at this point, when other Big Ten/ACC programs are playing their freshmen, well, you’ve made my point from the other day …. 1. Some freshmen maybe shouldn’t be at Purdue and 2. There’s no room for courtesy offers in this conference. That’s on CKG and her inability to recruit high level players.
We are not a program that can get all top ranked players that will be ready from day one. Name the last unranked player to be first team all Big Ten? There were 14 ranked frosh in the BT this year..... guess which frosh are playing........ AGAIN you have NOTHING to show we aren't playing our best players but stubbornly keep beating that shitty broken drum

Last edited:
Did I say to start a bunch of them? Give them
minutes. It’s how they will learn. Your anger clouds your ability to have a discussion.
The frosh are getting more minutes than their play deserves at this point simply because we lack depth. How much do you want to play them and how badly do you want to lose to Bucky?

Last edited:
This is often what can happen when a coach tries to build a team through recruiting and not the portal. Instead of getting 1 or 2 instant impact kids (MA and Spider) and then shoring up our holes with experienced talent in the portal. KG went out and got 5 freshmen. Something high level programs are simply not doing anymore. Will it ultimately work out in her favor? Who knows but we will struggle winning games against good teams in the meantime. I understand why it’s down. It’s building a culture. But ultimately a coach is judged by only results.

I’m not suprised by any of this. Disappointed - sure? But not surprised. And if any of you are then you’re not paying attention.

We have essentially 6 freshmen trying it find their way and doing it while playing 6 P5 opponents in their first 2 months of their playing career. Half of them fighting injury issues. So no I’m not surprised by our 6-5 record and complete lack of depth after our starting 5. Only 1 of those P5 games came at home. Judging this team by its record right now is pretty pointless. We need spider back. And we need it asap. I have a feeling that with her back all of our big ten games besides maybe 1 or 2 will be highly competitive. We have to learn how to close those out. 3 of our 5 losses were came in that last few minutes. Had we gotten blown out in those contests I’d be much more concerned, but I’m not right now. But scoring 39 pts against an in state rival is embarrassing and I woke up not happy today.

Reactions: Gesysp
Where would this team be a if we just redshirted Swanson and Monson. And then went out this past summer and got a couple experienced grad transfers from the portal to shore up our bench depth. Not all Americans just a grad transfer from a lower program who has proved that they can contribute and knows their role. A pure scorer and an athletic rebounder.

I’m sure KG’s plan is to have the athletic rebounder be Mila, and the scorers were going to he a combination of Spider/Swanson/Mckenna. But again that is relying on inexperienced freshmen/sophomores. Instead of a proven product. Now by the end of the year sure. Those 3 might be able to round into shape and gives desperately needed bench help. I really hope they do because our season will rely on that happening, but when you schedule like we did, losses were expected and I know how fans hate when their team lose (no matter to who) so that’s why we get message board meltdowns.

Last edited:
The only things I’ve been surprised about is Smith going full Space Jam and apparently losing all ability to play the game of basketball. And Mila not being about to at least contribute. I was not expecting her to be a star right away but just contribute to help our depth.

Oh, and just to make this game hurt more, ND was down 4 players, two of whom were top starters.

I know this, Terry shooting 26% from the floor is ridiculous for a 5th year Sr…Purdue needs a competent PG on next years team, if one hasn’t been signed yet Coach better get one in the portal, a player at the collegiate level playing 30 minutes a night should be able to hit a darn shot, teams won’t respect you and you’ll be playing short handed on offense all night. I hate to constantly harp on Terry because she does do some things well, ideally she’s a 6th/7th man off the bench providing 15 minutes a night. Yes Michael, I realize she’s probably the best option Purdue has, that’s on Coach thinking the PG spot wasn’t a position of need this off-season.

Reactions: Larry77
I know this, Terry shooting 26% from the floor is ridiculous for a 5th year Sr…Purdue needs a competent PG on next years team, if one hasn’t been signed yet Coach better get one in the portal, a player at the collegiate level playing 30 minutes a night should be able to hit a darn shot, teams won’t respect you and you’ll be playing short handed on offense all night. I hate to constantly harp on Terry because she does do some things well, ideally she’s a 6th/7th man off the bench providing 15 minutes a night.

At this time, she is the only competent player we have to handle the ball under pressure and run the offense. Our offense grinds to a halt when she sits. I would love to have Iowa's Clark as our point guard, but if my grandma had wheels she'd be a wagon. Watch the ND "highlights" and see how easily Madison and Ellis got the ball taken from them by ND's defense. We do not have a single really good player on this team, they are all badly flawed in one or more ways with the possible exception of the frosh who are just inexperienced and not ready for Big Ten play yet for the most part. I am guessing this time next year a lot of y'all will be lamenting not having Terry around anymore.

I know this, Terry shooting 26% from the floor is ridiculous for a 5th year Sr…Purdue needs a competent PG on next years team, if one hasn’t been signed yet Coach better get one in the portal, a player at the collegiate level playing 30 minutes a night should be able to hit a darn shot, teams won’t respect you and you’ll be playing short handed on offense all night. I hate to constantly harp on Terry because she does do some things well, ideally she’s a 6th/7th man off the bench providing 15 minutes a night. Yes Michael, I realize she’s probably the best option Purdue has, that’s on Coach thinking the PG spot wasn’t a position of need this off-season.
Do you have any idea what a point guard does? She’s averaging 4/6/7. Sure the 4 needs work. But when you are a point guard averaging nearly 6 assists and 7 rebounds a game. That’s good. She flirts with a triple double constantly. A TRIPLE DOUBLE. Do you realize how rare a triple double is in the game of basketball? I don’t think you do. Her and spider are perfect compliments for each other. One is a rebounder/distributer and the other is a scoring point. Teams ideally need both. It’s just right now 1 is hurt.

Terry is not the reason we are struggling.

Reactions: HoopDad317
Oh, and just to make this game hurt more, ND was down 4 players, two of whom were top starters.
Do you have any idea what a point guard does? She’s averaging 4/6/7. Sure the 4 needs work. But when you are a point guard averaging nearly 6 assists and 7 rebounds a game. That’s good. She flirts with a triple double constantly. A TRIPLE DOUBLE. Do you realize how rare a triple double is in the game of basketball? I don’t think you do. Her and spider are perfect compliments for each other. One is a rebounder/distributer and the other is a scoring point. Teams ideally need both. It’s just right now 1 is hurt.

[/QUOTE

I know what a PG does, I know it’s not a good thing when teams virtually leave you unguarded on the offensive end. Smith on the men’s side shows how a PG can lead an offense, I’m sorry, Terry leading it is one of the reasons the offense is terrible. She’s fine as a 15 minute player, 30 minutes is too many for her. After 5 years I’ll be glad when she finally isn’t leading the offense. If our men’s PG put up her numbers he’d be run out of West Lafayette, here we got people happy that she’s averaging 4 points a night on 25% shooting, sorry not a fan of her game.

Ok let’s compare the men’s team PG situation with the women’s. The men have 1 PG. he’s averaging 14 ppg, 6.7 assist and 5.7 reb.

The women’s team have 2. averaging a combined 15 ppg 7 assist and 10 rebounds.

God forbid something happen to Smith on the men’s side. I would say the PG situation is actually better on the women’s because there was some depth. When both are healthy, right now they are not.

"I know what a PG does, I know it’s not a good thing when teams virtually leave you unguarded on the offensive end. Smith on the men’s side shows how a PG can lead an offense, I’m sorry, Terry leading it is one of the reasons the offense is terrible. She’s fine as a 15 minute player, 30 minutes is too many for her. After 5 years I’ll be glad when she finally isn’t leading the offense. If our men’s PG put up her numbers he’d be run out of West Lafayette, here we got people happy that she’s averaging 4 points a night on 25% shooting, sorry not a fan of her game. "

I don't think you do know what a point guard does. Watch a game sometimes, no team dares leave Terry unguarded, because she will drive to the rim and either lay it in or hit an open player if you move to cover the drive. What you want is the modern combo guard, and we don't have one. Slamming the players for being who they are doesn't help anyone. Terry is a decent point guard, a tremendous rebounder and one of the best all around players on Purdue's team. She will be missed sorely next year I'm willing to wager.

"I know what a PG does, I know it’s not a good thing when teams virtually leave you unguarded on the offensive end. Smith on the men’s side shows how a PG can lead an offense, I’m sorry, Terry leading it is one of the reasons the offense is terrible. She’s fine as a 15 minute player, 30 minutes is too many for her. After 5 years I’ll be glad when she finally isn’t leading the offense. If our men’s PG put up her numbers he’d be run out of West Lafayette, here we got people happy that she’s averaging 4 points a night on 25% shooting, sorry not a fan of her game. "

I don't think you do know what a point guard does. Watch a game sometimes, no team dares leave Terry unguarded, because she will drive to the rim and either lay it in or hit an open player if you move to cover the drive. What you want is the modern combo guard, and we don't have one. Slamming the players for being who they are doesn't help anyone. Terry is a decent point guard, a tremendous rebounder and one of the best all around players on Purdue's team. She will be missed sorely next year I'm willing to wager.
I’m incredibly excited about the future of our point guard position actually. Next year we will have 3 options on the roster who can play point with Spider/Amaya/Poole. 1 distributer, 1 scorer and 1 that seems to be an all around one who is 6 foot. All 3 are different and offer different things. I don’t think we will struggle at the position for years to come.

Ok let’s compare the men’s team PG situation with the women’s. The men have 1 PG. he’s averaging 14 ppg, 6.7 assist and 5.7 reb.

The women’s team have 2. averaging a combined 15 ppg 7 assist and 10 rebounds.

God forbid something happen to Smith on the men’s side. I would say the PG situation is actually better on the women’s because there was some depth. When both are healthy, right now they are not.
Yesterday in 30 minutes, Terry was 1-5 from the floor, had 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 5 turnovers, the ND PG ( she’s 18, great player) had 23/10/8 stat line. I’m sorry, if this is your definition of a top notch PG I’ll leave the conversation, I’ve watched for 3 years, I don’t see it. Like I said, if Smith throws up that stat line against Arizona the messsge boards would be at a fever pitch with that type of play, especially if he was a 23 year old 5th year player.

Michael, I’ve watched a ton of games, I played High School hoops, have had Purdue men’s season tickets for many years, I’m sorry, I’m not impressed with her game. In limited minutes I would be fine with her, not 30 minutes a night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT