ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue recruiting Notes from Sunday in Fort Wayne

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
FORT WAYNE — Hello, me again.

I'm working on a front-page piece from the final day of the Bill Hensley Memorial Run 'N Slam in Fort Wayne, but figured I'd drop a few more casual notes here first.

• Dravyn Gibbs-Lawhorn scored six points in Indy Heat's loss this morning to Indiana Elite. He didn't have a great shooting weekend, and that was part of the story of his game this morning. He got hurt late in the game and came out for the final minute or so, but said he just knocked knees with somebody and that was it.

• Kanon Catchings is really coming on, man. He was terrific in his Indy Heat 16U team's loss to Indiana Elite, a close game that Indy Heat probably should have won. Catchings had 18 points and got the better of Purdue 2024 recruiting target Cooper Koch, who I didn't think had a great day today.

Catchings has to be moving toward the offer category for Purdue. He's too good a shooter and too promising a prospect both physically and genetically.

• I just watched his last game out of the corner of my eye, but I didn't see Xavier Booker do a whole lot in George Hill All-Indy's narrow loss to the Illinois Wolves — decided by Cam Christie's near-buzzer-beater — but all in all, Booker had another very good weekend and keeps re-establishing himself as a really blue-chip recruit, though he never un-established himself to anyone but those of us who are really paying attention.

• Loved Trent Sisley this weekend. He had a really good tournament.

• Jack Benter didn't shoot great from deep on Saturday night and Friday morning and afternoon. He's a really good offensive-piece sort of prospect, I think, and Purdue would see real value in that, but he'd need to be a high-percentage guy from three, and he was really up and down at the foul line, strangely for a shooter.

Excellent passer and all-around offensive player, though, and really a physical player for his category. He can downright bully people in the post against the right matchups.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News