ADVERTISEMENT

Not shocking news

Looks like Mr. Wong wants an even bigger wallet in his life.

a8375cd5-6a97-4927-9f55-3fc7f026fc15_text.gif

Miami player is threatening to go into the portal unless he gets more money...

I haven’t really been doom and gloom with everything yet but perhaps this is the silver lining?

Miami has officially started a dumpster fire for all the world to see! Packs deal should of never been released to the public and now college sports are slowly being ruined by the day.

While this is not cool to see, it also very much seems to be against the rules of NIL. If the rules are followed, it doesn't end up like this. These deals are clearly contingent on the players being at Miami, and that's not supposed to be allowed. If they were following the rules, Wong could transfer if he wants to, but still do his advertising that he signed up to for LifeWallet, and still get his money. And if they were following the rules, a deal would not have been in place for Pack even before he picked Miami. Clearly it was used to entice him there.

The right way to use NIL is for deals to be put in place for players that are ALREADY at a school, and the athlete then fulfils their advertising responsibilities in order to get paid their money. Those deals should never be spoken of before a kid signs with a school.

Miami needs to create a phony charitable giving program that even some of their alums will realize is slimy and beneath them, but no matter. Have Wong promote the charity of his choice, have donors make tax deductible contributions to the purpose built phony organization, then stiff the charity so the player gets the cash . . . Problem solved! They can call it “Miami Sucks!”

Miami needs to create a phony charitable giving program that even some of their alums will realize is slimy and beneath them, but no matter. Have Wong promote the charity of his choice, have donors make tax deductible contributions to the purpose built phony organization, then stiff the charity so the player gets the cash . . . Problem solved! They can call it “Miami Sucks!”
lol The Hoosiers for Good organization is not stiffing the charities. Donors are fully aware the money doesn't go directly to the charity, that's not the purpose of it. The charities know they aren't directly getting that money. What they ARE getting is free advertising by athletes that can draw a lot of eyes to their charity, and will likely lead to more donations directly to them. I say free because it's free to the charity, they are getting advertising for doing nothing. That's a win for them. The athletes are getting paid for their advertising, that's a win for them. The donors have a way to fund players they like and fund advertising for charities. That's a win for them. No one is getting stiffed in this situation.

lol The Hoosiers for Good organization is not stiffing the charities. Donors are fully aware the money doesn't go directly to the charity, that's not the purpose of it. The charities know they aren't directly getting that money. What they ARE getting is free advertising by athletes that can draw a lot of eyes to their charity, and will likely lead to more donations directly to them. I say free because it's free to the charity, they are getting advertising for doing nothing. That's a win for them. The athletes are getting paid for their advertising, that's a win for them. The donors have a way to fund players they like and fund advertising for charities. That's a win for them. No one is getting stiffed in this situation.
Its MONEY LAUNDERING! Joe's Family says hi!

While this is not cool to see, it also very much seems to be against the rules of NIL. If the rules are followed, it doesn't end up like this. These deals are clearly contingent on the players being at Miami, and that's not supposed to be allowed. If they were following the rules, Wong could transfer if he wants to, but still do his advertising that he signed up to for LifeWallet, and still get his money. And if they were following the rules, a deal would not have been in place for Pack even before he picked Miami. Clearly it was used to entice him there.

The right way to use NIL is for deals to be put in place for players that are ALREADY at a school, and the athlete then fulfils their advertising responsibilities in order to get paid their money. Those deals should never be spoken of before a kid signs with a school.
No way Malik Reneau signs with IU unless he knows this is coming in the future.

As a Purdue fan in particular, tho, it is irritating in the extreme to read an article in my local newspaper extolling these Indiana basketball players for their "selflessness" in promoting Indiana charities. There was, of course, nowhere in the article a whiff of the money they are being paid to do it. In my mind selflessness and $100,00 plus cannot be co-existent.

I understand this is not the players fault or even intent but reporting these arrangements like the guys are a junior United Way is not only exasperating but down right false.

Wouldn’t any donor who cares about the charity just donate directly to that organization, while those who only want to get money to players (with tax deductibility, to boot) go through the organization built specifically for that purpose? What you’re describing is a vehicle to pay players, not a charitable giving endeavor. I realize that “Hoosiers for Giving Money to Players While Pretending It is Charitable Donations” isn’t quite as easy to say, but it’s a much more accurate depiction of what’s going on.

They've come a long way from Uncle Luke's hot tub parties and 100 dollar handshakes of the 80's. Proud of you Miami!

The ESPN 30 for 30 on The U football program from the 80s-90s is awesome. I really don't think that much has changed at Miami from the days when 2Live Crew was running the show.

This all just beginning. It will be interesting to watch what kind of team chemistry Miami has this year and what kind of results they have.
Results are all that matter.
Chemistry is irrelevant. I could care less if every player on the team hates every one of their teammates if the team wins the NC.
We see these guys smiling, having fun on the bench, etc, and assume there's 'great chemistry' but we have no idea what happens the other 22 hours a day between them.

Wouldn’t any donor who cares about the charity just donate directly to that organization, while those who only want to get money to players (with tax deductibility, to boot) go through the organization built specifically for that purpose? What you’re describing is a vehicle to pay players, not a charitable giving endeavor. I realize that “Hoosiers for Giving Money to Players While Pretending It is Charitable Donations” isn’t quite as easy to say, but it’s a much more accurate depiction of what’s going on.
No different than a Prositute collecting money for her/his services then handing the money over to the PIMP!

Yeah, I'd say a $100K in donations would be much more appreciated than "free advertising"...

As a Purdue fan in particular, tho, it is irritating in the extreme to read an article in my local newspaper extolling these Indiana basketball players for their "selflessness" in promoting Indiana charities. There was, of course, nowhere in the article a whiff of the money they are being paid to do it. In my mind selflessness and $100,00 plus cannot be co-existent.

I understand this is not the players fault or even intent but reporting these arrangements like the guys are a junior United Way is not only exasperating but down right false.
If this was about charity, the players would donate any money they made to the organizations they’re promoting. That’s charitable giving. Otherwise, this is a cynical way to funnel tax deductible NIL money to players. Perfectly legal, just slimy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT