ADVERTISEMENT

Not my Purdue. To much time on her hands.

Johny Doe: Your bit of a tangent merits a full on tangent in return. My suggestion to you would be to listen to the members of the "Christian Fundamentalist right" instead of watching a documentary which characterizes them in an unfair way and then ascribes false motives for their behavior. Have a conversation. You'll find less "fear and strain" than you insinuate.

In regards to your "taking God out of school" claim, the arguments surrounding that issue can be made, but you can't possibly believe there hasn't been a full court press to remove any trace of religion from schools. Have you not paid attention to the ACLU over the past 25 years, sir? They sue public schools any time they get the chance. Most schools don't want to pay for the legal fees so they just continue to bend to the desires of the ACLU. As a public educator, surely you know this. Whether the ACLU is correct to do this is up to the individual to decide, but the fact that they engage in this litigious stuff really isn't a matter of debate among those that can count the frequency and volume of their lawsuits.

One could make the argument that the press, social media, academia, and secular progressives have been intentionally hostile toward the religious community. Perhaps this is a major reason that the "Christian Fundamentalist right" has been mobilized? Do you not know about the Southern Poverty Law Center calling religious organizations that disagree with them a hate group guilty of hate speech. They are up to 945 hate groups now. They labeled Ayaan Hirsi Ali an anti-Muslim extremist for goodness sake. Meanwhile, Google and YouTube use the SPLC to monitor acceptable content. Did you miss the Obama administration taking the Little Sisters of the Poor to the Supreme Court? Suing nuns, man. Did you miss the mayor of Houston issuing a subpoena to collect and review the sermons being preached by Houston? I could go on for a long time.

I do not need a documentary to help me understand why many fundamentalist Christians do not vote to support certain candidates. Perhaps they are tired of being told they are an anti-woman bigot if they believe that life begins at conception? Or any other of the lame narratives people use to attack them and scare them into shutting up. Fundamentalist Christians are not what you read about on Salon or Mother Jones. But if you want a documentary to support this overt attempt at removing people of faith from academia, try checking out "Expelled" from Ben Stein.

Well stated.

Just. . . well stated.

Reactions: IndianapolisHoops
Absolutely, but remember all the bright eyed youngsters like a sponge ready to absorb whatever it is to be absorbed with no relevant knowledge in the appropriate domain to discern by substance reality and not. Unless your coursework is heavy in the sciences, there is risk of a lot of indoctrination past the freshman year. This really has went on for several years...it just took the mustard seeds some time for observable growth. If you have an eye to see and an ear to hear, you will notice this all around us.
Purdue Freshman Orientation is now just one weeklong indoctrination session, conducted mostly by upperclassmen liberal goobers.

Wait, can I say upperclassmen?

Reactions: tjreese
Purdue Freshman Orientation is now just one weeklong indoctrination session, conducted mostly by upperclassmen liberal goobers.

Have some faith in our youth. My 18 year old daughter is very liberal but has already developed the sense for this ridiculousness. She was accepted into Purdue Engineering but because we live in Colorado it would be silly to send her there cost wise. At the CU Boulder orientation for the the Physics/science College almost 90% of the presentation was by non-scientists talking about inclusivity and diversity.

When we left my daughter laughed because of the 350 kids there, 320 were white, 20 were Asian, 9 were Hispanic and one was black. She realized that lip service for a cause was just posturing and that had nothing to do with pursuing a degree in that department.

Yeah.... I wouldn't go that far.

I'm VERY proud of my daughter; smart, logical, conservative, and she had a great time with Boiler Gold Rush. So much so that she's applied to be a part of next year's leadership.

Never, ever, did I hear about anything from the far left. HOWEVER . . . her experience might have been far different than typical, as she had a really weak "leader", or so it sounds.

You would have to take that up with them. I didn’t change a thing. I did however ask how being more inclusive was a bad thing. I haven’t seen anyone answering that one. The church has the right to cater to whomever they please I suppose. If the parishioners don’t like the change, they can let their feelings be known and/or move along. That’s what make us a great nation. Many around the world don’t have that luxury.
There are many things...and some already pointed out. I don't know whether "inclusive" is the best word to describe what a church should do, but do understand why that word is a popular word used today and the fall out as a result. I don't really think a church should be "inclusive". A church should have teachings that just "are" and whether they make a person feel comfortable or not shouldn't matter unless the goal is feel good and give me your money and grow my influence on trivial things.

However, I think I understand your intent on "inclusive" , although slightly off target target I believe.

I think ALL should have an equal opportunity to hear the same message, to sing the same songs if desired with their neighbor, to sit in any seat not reserved for some situation and to receive anything offered to other church attenders within that particular churches approach. Essentially ALL should have the same opportunity to learn and absorb what they can as the person sitting next to them...under the guidelines of the church. I think all should be treated how each wants treated.

What should be apparent...is my comments above with regard to what went on years ago. Then, families with both sides of the war...families that lost their sons would sit in the same church with those that may have or could have killed their sons. Going to church obviously was much more than some inanimate object hurting someones feelings...or more than likely pretending to hurt someone's feelings to stop real important dialog that should be discussed and grows through PC as the blob.

I have American Indian in my bloodlines and not offended by English white people. I have a relative buried in Andersonville (look that one up if you are unaware of the prison camp) as a union soldier and not offended by people that live in the south. Last summer I was in Germany and went on a concentration camp to see where and hear the atrocities of the camp where people would b experimented on and rooms where the neck shot took place as people (mostly jews) stood thinking their height was being measured and instead killed seconds later. I'm not offended by German history either. History is history...although perhaps not 100% accurate. We should learn from history the good so that it can be replicated and the bad so that it is not repeated...not hidden from the youth that essentially are ignorant of the world with much to learn having only witnessed the classroom most of his or her life in many cases

I think words or symbols as hard as they may be are good to hear. Most of the isms and other PC approaches are essentially to stop dialog that REALLY should encouraged. Having inanimate objects that only recently are a problem should raise an eyebrow for discern, rather than following the herd mentality like a bunch of lemmings going off the cliff. It was the herd mentality, the PC that grew the brown shirts that gave rise to the Nazi party. We must learn from history and strongly disagree with sanitizing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Purdue85
Johny Doe: Your bit of a tangent merits a full on tangent in return. My suggestion to you would be to listen to the members of the "Christian Fundamentalist right" instead of watching a documentary which characterizes them in an unfair way and then ascribes false motives for their behavior. Have a conversation. You'll find less "fear and strain" than you insinuate.

In regards to your "taking God out of school" claim, the arguments surrounding that issue can be made, but you can't possibly believe there hasn't been a full court press to remove any trace of religion from schools. Have you not paid attention to the ACLU over the past 25 years, sir? They sue public schools any time they get the chance. Most schools don't want to pay for the legal fees so they just continue to bend to the desires of the ACLU. As a public educator, surely you know this. Whether the ACLU is correct to do this is up to the individual to decide, but the fact that they engage in this litigious stuff really isn't a matter of debate among those that can count the frequency and volume of their lawsuits.

One could make the argument that the press, social media, academia, and secular progressives have been intentionally hostile toward the religious community. Perhaps this is a major reason that the "Christian Fundamentalist right" has been mobilized? Do you not know about the Southern Poverty Law Center calling religious organizations that disagree with them a hate group guilty of hate speech. They are up to 945 hate groups now. They labeled Ayaan Hirsi Ali an anti-Muslim extremist for goodness sake. Meanwhile, Google and YouTube use the SPLC to monitor acceptable content. Did you miss the Obama administration taking the Little Sisters of the Poor to the Supreme Court? Suing nuns, man. Did you miss the mayor of Houston issuing a subpoena to collect and review the sermons being preached by Houston? I could go on for a long time.

I do not need a documentary to help me understand why many fundamentalist Christians do not vote to support certain candidates. Perhaps they are tired of being told they are an anti-woman bigot if they believe that life begins at conception? Or any other of the lame narratives people use to attack them and scare them into shutting up. Fundamentalist Christians are not what you read about on Salon or Mother Jones. But if you want a documentary to support this overt attempt at removing people of faith from academia, try checking out "Expelled" from Ben Stein.
Appreciate the response, thank you. I will say that many CF's believed the documentary was well done and did a very good job of portraying their lives and how they want to raise their children. In no way do I believe that the documentary represents most of the CF community, however I think it does shed light on a large group of individuals that I believe have been largely ignored over the past 30 years by many political strategists. These groups have been able to use a lot of the media to their advantage when preying on the fears many people have drummed up about attacks on religion, ineffectiveness of schools, climate change, and Radical/Extreme Islamic groups.

I do agree that the Obama Administration tended to overstep their boundaries with federal over-reach (especially here in Indiana and the rest of the mid-west with their water control legislation and farmers) which really hurt the Dems ability to run anyone in the 2016 election.

Reactions: IndianapolisHoops
Appreciate the response, thank you. I will say that many CF's believed the documentary was well done and did a very good job of portraying their lives and how they want to raise their children. In no way do I believe that the documentary represents most of the CF community, however I think it does shed light on a large group of individuals that I believe have been largely ignored over the past 30 years by many political strategists. These groups have been able to use a lot of the media to their advantage when preying on the fears many people have drummed up about attacks on religion, ineffectiveness of schools, climate change, and Radical/Extreme Islamic groups.

I do agree that the Obama Administration tended to overstep their boundaries with federal over-reach (especially here in Indiana and the rest of the mid-west with their water control legislation and farmers) which really hurt the Dems ability to run anyone in the 2016 election.
forgot to see if the links worked at home yesterday since I couldn't get to them at work... ;)

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT