ADVERTISEMENT

Non-conference schedule

KODK

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Purdue released its opponents and dates for next season.

Opponents
Sun. Nov. 6 Ursuline College (exhibition)
Fri. Nov. 11 at Maine
Sat. Nov. 12 Mississippi State or Villanova (at Maine)
Thu. Nov. 17 USC UPSTATE
Sun. Nov. 20 SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Nov. 24-26 Northeastern (Cancun Challenge)
Nov. 24-26 Stanford (Cancun Challenge)
Nov. 24-26 Wichita State (Cancun Challenge)
Nov. 28-Dec. 1 Big Ten/ACC Challenge (to be announced)
Sun. Dec. 4 COLGATE
Tue. Dec. 6 CENTRAL MICHIGAN
Thu. Dec. 8 at Ball State
Sun. Dec. 11 NORTH CAROLINA CENTRAL
Sun. Dec. 18 EASTERN MICHIGAN
Wed. Dec. 21 IUPUI

The Big Ten schedule will consist of 16 games, rather than 18.

No high profile home games if I'm reading it all correctly.
Probably fitting for a program that is no longer high profile itself. Purdue is essentially a MAC program masquerading as a B1G one at this point...very much like the football program...and baseball program (and even deeming them a MAC program may be generous).

We did make the NCAA tournament last year so I wouldn't put the women's basketball program on the same level as the football and baseball programs which I believe both have finished in or near the conference basement for a few years now.

I think this program should be aiming to get back to a top ten level and competing for conference championships most every year instead of just NCAA tournaments. Last year was a nice rebound season for them but they can't be satisfied with that. This upcoming season will say much about the program in my opinion.

We did make the NCAA tournament last year so I wouldn't put the women's basketball program on the same level as the football and baseball programs which I believe both have finished in or near the conference basement for a few years now.

I think this program should be aiming to get back to a top ten level and competing for conference championships most every year instead of just NCAA tournaments. Last year was a nice rebound season for them but they can't be satisfied with that. This upcoming season will say much about the program in my opinion.
Very fair point...but neither of the other programs were ever top-ten level either and consistently competing to win the conference.

Women's basketball is unique...extremely top heavy, and a HUGE drop-off from the top tier of programs to the next level, and even more of one to the level after that.

Purdue WBB was a nationally relevant program...now, it is not even relevant within the conference...making the NCAA tournament in women's basketball is hardly a monumental achievement, nor should such a low standard be acceptable at Purdue where the program was one of the top 10 best in the country for an extended period of time.

Reactions: Dan'l Boone
No high profile home games if I'm reading it all correctly.
No high-profile games, period. We could be undefeated going into a very weak BT Conference schedule, make the NCAA again, then get crushed in the first round. Don't expect much excitement to surround this program until a coaching change is made.

No high-profile games, period. We could be undefeated going into a very weak BT Conference schedule, make the NCAA again, then get crushed in the first round. Don't expect much excitement to surround this program until a coaching change is made.

Stanford is a really strong program. That counts.

Still think we should be playing Notre Dame. Right now they are as strong as any program in the country other than UCONN and we used to play them annually. Not sure why that ended.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT