ADVERTISEMENT

Nojel

Mar 13, 2008
Louisville, KY
I wanted to give some props to Nojel, without him Purdue probably doesn't win this game with that late surge by Belmont. He hit clutch free throws down the stretch when Belmont was pressing and started targeting him to foul (form looked better after his 1st free throw). He also played great defense the entire game. We're going to need his scoring come conference time as teams will be doubling Carsen the entire game.
On one play he missed a layup where he took it full court (rimmed out), would like to see him press a bit more like this going forward as he creates a additional dimension for Purdue offense when he's looking to attack. Good job

Nojel made a huge leap forward hitting those free throws. I think many hope he will be more aggressive getting to the rim moving forward and who knows, maybe start shooting some jumpers. He was the difference in the end and I am happy for him.

It's coming along for him. It's a process. He's too talented and too hard a worker to not put it all together. Same goes for the entire team. It's taking longer than I would like, but we'll get there. Hopefully it won't be too late for an NCAA bid.

I wanted to give some props to Nojel, without him Purdue probably doesn't win this game with that late surge by Belmont. He hit clutch free throws down the stretch when Belmont was pressing and started targeting him to foul (form looked better after his 1st free throw). He also played great defense the entire game. We're going to need his scoring come conference time as teams will be doubling Carsen the entire game.
On one play he missed a layup where he took it full court (rimmed out), would like to see him press a bit more like this going forward as he creates a additional dimension for Purdue offense when he's looking to attack. Good job
So you almost lost to Belmont?

Not entirely. You do know how good Belmont actually is right? They find a defense and they will beat a lot of teams. Just ask UCLA.
Didnt UCLA just let their coach go midseason, because they are so bad?... :D

Cheap shot, UCLA is not a bad team. UCLA is a fair to mediocre team. However, because of its history Alford's performance was not viewed favorably. Of course, you know this but are just raising hell here.

Hes the same one that said Butler and Louisville were tournament locks.

Butler lost by 34 Saturday(that wasnt a typo - 34 points)

Louisville got dumptrucked at home Saturday.

Unlikely either makes the tournament.

According to Matt Painter, he shoots above 70% in practice when they chart him.
When you iron out that hitch and sprinkle some confidence he is a solid 70-80% shooter which is what this team needs.

An aggressive Nojel paired with Carsen equals a team that can make a deep tourney run.

Reactions: TX4GB and Mgkcbb
When you iron out that hitch and sprinkle some confidence he is a solid 70-80% shooter which is what this team needs.

An aggressive Nojel paired with Carsen equals a team that can make a deep tourney run.
Honestly, I've looked at the almost painful form and felt he needed a complete makeover. I mean, throw it out and completely start from scratch. How many times has Tiger done this? He's athletic enough to do it.

An aggressive Nojel also gets HAARMS and Cline more oprn looks. And we already know Nojel is an elite defender. Nojel very well may be one of the 10 best players in the conference.

An aggressive Nojel also gets HAARMS and Cline more oprn looks. And we already know Nojel is an elite defender. Nojel very well may be one of the 10 best players in the conference.
Exactly because the defense can’t cheat on any player.

Also when he penetrates he gets players to cheat or peak and that opens up our shooters.

Painter needs to trust our team and ride hot hands and bench cold ones - cough cough Cline.

Reactions: StickPurdue
Not entirely. You do know how good Belmont actually is right? They find a defense and they will beat a lot of teams. Just ask UCLA.

Belmont's OK,but beating UCLA is not exactly a barometer for hoops greatness these days. They just lost at home to Liberty by 11 pts yesterday. Which prompted them to fire Twin's guy Alford...

Exactly because the defense can’t cheat on any player.

Also when he penetrates he gets players to cheat or peak and that opens up our shooters.

Painter needs to trust our team and ride hot hands and bench cold ones - cough cough Cline.

Cline will be fine, I think. Hes such a strong shooter and good decision maker that he needs to play big minutes IMO. Plus, he stretches the floor for Nojel, Carsen, etc.

Its my opinion that Boudreax shouldnt really play at all and Wheeler/HAARMS/Williams should be the center options.

HAARMS
Wheeler
Nojel
Cline
Carsen

Is a really fierce defensive lineup. Just need those players to continue developingoffensively. Purdue has scary good potential here and Im not sure people realize it.

Reactions: mathboy
Cheap shot, UCLA is not a bad team. UCLA is a fair to mediocre team. However, because of its history Alford's performance was not viewed favorably. Of course, you know this but are just raising hell here.

"Fair to mediocre", but not bad? They did beat the same ND team that spanked PU,but other than that their "best win" might have been Hawaii.

Along the way they were embarrassed by OSU,UNC,MSU,Cincy and of course Belmont. And I was wrong earlier when I said they lost by 11 at home to Liberty yesterday It was actually 15... Something tells me if IU had lost at home to teams like Belmont and Liberty, you wouldn't be defending them as "fair to mediocre, but not bad"...

Cline will be fine, I think. Hes such a strong shooter and good decision maker that he needs to play big minutes IMO. Plus, he stretches the floor for Nojel, Carsen, etc.

Its my opinion that Boudreax shouldnt really play at all and Wheeler/HAARMS/Williams should be the center options.

HAARMS
Wheeler
Nojel
Cline
Carsen

Is a really fierce defensive lineup. Just need those players to continue developingoffensively. Purdue has scary good potential here and Im not sure people realize it.
My issue with Cline is on how his fundamentals breakdown when he isn’t hitting. I also think he has some bad decision making especially just standing around holding the ball expecting a foul where he needs to dribble and create.

I do agree he is up there in smarts and makes smart decisions overall.

Not sure I see how EB being a consistent contributor unless we figure out a defense rotation to hide his weakness.

OSU, UNC and MSU are ranked. Cincy gets votes. Belmont may win its mid-major conference. I believe they are picked too do so. Those losses do not make you a bad team. That does not mean that you are good, just fair to mediocre. UCLA is far from good, but not really bad.

If I were giving an academic grade it would be in the C to C+ range. That's not good, but it is not failing.

Last edited:
Wow that's quite a stretch!

HAARMS
Wheeler
Nojel
Cline
Carsen

I agree; and 90% of the fan base has actually been saying the same thing; start Wheeler over Grady. That’s the only change you indicated. EB has only started 2 games and looks to be behind Tre at this point after this last game.

I agree; and 90% of the fan base has actually been saying the same thing; start Wheeler over Grady. That’s the only change you indicated. EB has only started 2 games and looks to be behind Tre at this point after this last game.

Difference being Im ok with Grady playing. Hes actually alright defensively, just has no chance when hes paired with EB since neither can protect the rim. EB, on the other hand, cant really guard any position.

EB might be able to guard Nick Ward and give some fouls there though since Ward isnt that tall and is just a wide body (which Eb is as well) so maybe that will be his vreak out game stretching Ward out to the 3 point line and making him defend. One can dream at least.

Difference being Im ok with Grady playing. Hes actually alright defensively, just has no chance when hes paired with EB since neither can protect the rim. EB, on the other hand, cant really guard any position.

EB might be able to guard Nick Ward and give some fouls there though since Ward isnt that tall and is just a wide body (which Eb is as well) so maybe that will be his vreak out game stretching Ward out to the 3 point line and making him defend. One can dream at least.

This seems right. If EB and Grady can hit open 3’s this team isnt hurt by either on offense.

Right now EB isn’t doing that and seems to be really struggling overall on both ends of the court. Earlier in the year against quality competition he looked really good. I’m not sure how much of the recent struggles are him versus the competition adjusting, but I wouldn’t count him out yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mgkcbb
This seems right. If EB and Grady can hit open 3’s this team iant hurt by either on offense.

Right now EB isn’t doing that and seems to be really struggling overall on both ends of the court. Earlier in the year against quality competition he looked really good. I’m not sure how much of the recent struggles are him versus the competition adjusting, but I wouldn’t count him out yet.

There will be some(a couple) games where Evan Boudreax makes something like 4 of 6 3 pointers and ends up with like 18-22 points. His offense will more than make up for his bad defense. However, hes not good enough to produce this type of offense consistently, so most nights his defense will deem him unplayable unless he figures that part of the game out. If he does, then good. If he doesnt, he shouldnt play IMO.

There will be some(a couple) games where Evan Boudreax makes something like 4 of 6 3 pointers and ends up with like 18-22 points. His offense will more than make up for his bad defense. However, hes not good enough to produce this type of offense consistently, so most nights his defense will deem him unplayable unless he figures that part of the game out. If he does, then good. If he doesnt, he shouldnt play IMO.

Agree, defensive matchups will be important and will limit his PT if he’s not on offensively. Seems that he has the most trouble with 5’s when he’s getting posted up by a significantly taller player.

Reactions: Mgkcbb
Not sure what you guys are seeing. Against non B1G competition these guys are good for a few points and some D, can't imagine them being good at all against the conference. Iowa will give us a better clue.

Edit: btw, I love these guys, not hating on them just hating that this is the best we have for starting 4/5. If they were backing up say... Vince and AJ we'd all love them.

Lol it was a joke. Hence the big grin emoji.

Not sure what you guys are seeing. Against non B1G competition these guys are good for a few points and some D, can't imagine them being good at all against the conference. Iowa will give us a better clue.

Edit: btw, I love these guys, not hating on them just hating that this is the best we have for starting 4/5. If they were backing up say... Vince and AJ we'd all love them.

EB was good against Florida State and great against VaTech, both top ten teams. Grady is what he is, he just needs to remember that he has to go balls out every possession to fill his role.

He's learning. One of the 10 best in the B10....not so much. Give him time to adapt and adjust. He is one of the top defenders though, but if you watch the games, he needs to learn to help out on drives to the bucket by opponents.

He's learning. One of the 10 best in the B10....not so much.
I'd put him top 50. If he could score 8 a game maybe top 30. Dude with the addiction center avatard is hard to take cereally, especially with the addiction center avatard.

EB was good against Florida State and great against VaTech, both top ten teams. Grady is what he is, he just needs to remember that he has to go balls out every possession to fill his role.

Va Tech connected on 64% of their 2 pointers.

Florida State connected on 59% of their 2 pointers.

Thats not a coincidence, they abused EB over and over. If you go back and watch the full game highlights, many of them are fl state players scoring easily on him. He hasnt figured out how to be a competent defensive player yet.

He's learning. One of the 10 best in the B10....not so much. Give him time to adapt and adjust. He is one of the top defenders though, but if you watch the games, he needs to learn to help out on drives to the bucket by opponents.

If hes not top 10, hes certainly right on the fringe. As it stands right now, of players in the B1G who have played at least 350 minutes this year, Nojel is 16th in Box +/-.

http://cbbref.com/tiny/b7Gyt

The hypothetical was that if his shot becomes more consistent, will that vault him into one of the top 10 players? Yes, he absolutely is one of the 10 best players in the conference once his shot becomes more consistent because hes so good everywhere else as far as rebounding, field goal %, defense, etc. Hes already top 20 in the league without a jump shot.

If hes not top 10, hes certainly right on the fringe. As it stands right now, of players in the B1G who have played at least 350 minutes this year, Nojel is 16th in Box +/-.

The hypothetical was that if his shot becomes more consistent, will that vault him into one of the top 10 players? Yes, he absolutely is one of the 10 best players in the conference once his shot becomes more consistent because hes so good everywhere else as far as rebounding, field goal %, defense, etc. Hes already top 20 in the league without a jump shot.
While he's a solid player, I find it hard to believe that Morgan is the best in the league.

According to the stat you are using Carsen is the 14th best player in the conference...

serious ?...when is the last time he actually took a shot. not a dunk attempt or just throw it in the air near the rim. a shot from 10 feet or more? (not free throws)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT