ADVERTISEMENT

No more one and dones?

Gemini95

Junior
Nov 15, 2012
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-prospects-not-wanting-go-one-done-route-ncaa

In a move that could challenge the NCAA's monopoly on elite talent, the NBA's G League is creating a new venture as an alternative to the one-and-done route for the best American basketball prospects, it was announced Thursday.

As part of a newly formed professional path starting in the summer of 2019, the G League will offer "Select Contracts" worth $125,000 to elite prospects who are at least 18 years old but not yet eligible for the NBA draft.

First thought - First two 2019 prospects I thought of off the top of my head were Trayce Jackson Davis and Keion Brooks.

Would be a good deal for those two to go make money playing against professionals and grown men rather than play for free at a lower level.

First thought - First two 2019 prospects I thought of off the top of my head were Trayce Jackson Davis and Keion Brooks.

Would be a good deal for those two to go make money playing against professionals and grown men rather than play for free at a lower level.
Neither of those players project to be 1 and done players lol. This route would be more for top 10 players like Ayton or Bagley.

Lolwat? Theyre both very likely one and done players.
.... based on? Have you seen either of them play?

Trayce is a 6'9" with no kind of shot outside of 6 feet. That's not exactly an NBA PF.

Brooks is a 6'6" SF that needs to add a lot more muscle and get more consistent with his jump shot.

Both will be great college players, but both also have a ways to go before being NBA lottery pick material.

Reactions: Rockman

Trayce is a 6'9" with no kind of shot outside of 6 feet. That's not exactly an NBA PF.

Brooks is a 6'6" SF that needs to add a lot more muscle and get more consistent with his jump shot.

Both will be great college players, but both also have a ways to go before being NBA lottery pick material.
Don't let your IU brethren hear you say that, you will be banished. Or kicked off the reservation as Warren would say. :)

Reactions: ChuckJr
Don't let your IU brethren hear you say that, you will be banished. Or kicked off the reservation as Warren would say. :)
Lol most of them would certainly argue it. I would think most would be happy to have multiple 5* talent for 2+ years though.

I am relatively sure from everything Ive seen Brooks is a very likely OAD.

Brooks measured 6'6 without shoes a year and a half ago. He has a 6'11 wingspan and is a strong, explosive athlete.

For context: With shoes, Miles Bridges measured 6'6 with a 6'9 wingspan at the combine.

Brooks measured 6'6 without shoes a year and a half ago. He has a 6'11 wingspan and is a strong, explosive athlete.

For context: With shoes, Miles Bridges measured 6'6 with a 6'9 wingspan at the combine.

If you’re calling Brooks strong, it’s evident you’ve never seen him play.

He measured 6'6.5" WITH shoes this year at the top 100 camp... also, definitely not very strong.

Neither are likely 1 and done players. Will they take the 125k/yr and play in the gleague until they are ready? Certainly possible. Will they be 1st round picks in the 2020 NBA draft? Not likely.

If you’re calling Brooks strong, it’s evident you’ve never seen him play.

Its funny how often on the internet people will just say things they know they dont have a clue about, but act like its true to be argumentative anyways.

This entire video is him bulldozing people ans finishing through contact.

Its funny how often on the internet people will just say things they know they dont have a clue about, but act like its true to be argumentative anyways.

This entire video is him bulldozing people ans finishing through contact.

So to be clear... 6'6", 185 lbs Keion Brooks is capable of finishing through traffic not only at the collegiate level, but also at the pro level, but 6'6", 215 lbs Romeo Langford has no chance to finish through contact or over length at the collegiate level....?

You can look up any strength and weakness list on Brooks and you will see physical strength as a weakness every time.

Haas is joining the G league. While it talks about elite players and $125,000, in order to fill out the rosters, I'm sure there would be many players willing to take $50,000 just to play and gain the exposure.

So to be clear... 6'6", 185 lbs Keion Brooks is capable of finishing through traffic not only at the collegiate level, but also at the pro level, but 6'6", 215 lbs Romeo Langford has no chance to finish through contact or over length at the collegiate level....?

You can look up any strength and weakness list on Brooks and you will see physical strength as a weakness every time.

Nearly every single OAD 19 year old who enters the draft has to get stronger. Theyre 19 years old playing against men. Using a generic weakness that every prospect has as something that disqualifies one specific prospect is either disengenuous or just dumb.

Obviously Brooks is, considering he flung Romeo Langford, Armaan Franklin, and others to the side in this video multiple times as they bounced off him.

Keion Brooks is two years away from the professional level. Pro tip: He wont weigh then what he weighs now.

Thanks for turning this into an iu thread, dope.

Reactions: Inspector100
Thanks for turning this into an iu thread, dope.

My bad, was silly of me to even mention those two. I should know better by now that multiple IU posters flock here and look for any excuse to either talk IU or argue with me - and dumb me let them kill two birds with one stone here. I'll ignore them.

Nearly every single OAD 19 year old who enters the draft has to get stronger. Theyre 19 years old playing against men. Using a generic weakness that every prospect has as something that disqualifies one specific prospect is either disengenuous or just dumb.

Obviously Brooks is, considering he flung Romeo Langford, Armaan Franklin, and others to the side in this video multiple times as they bounced off him.

Keion Brooks is two years away from the professional level. Pro tip: He wont weigh then what he weighs now.
Did you see the video of that game or just the keion highlights? Romeo absolutely destroyed him.

I'm a huge Brooks fan. He will likely be an IU player. I'm just realistic. He is not on the same level as Romeo as a player and he is not likely a one and done player.

Fyi...

I want to stop hearing about the "poor indentured servants" now that they have a path to bypass college ball altogether if they so choose.

We will find out how many of these guys are able to get a contract without the assistance of NCAA exposure. I'm guessing less than a half dozen per year.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
I want to stop hearing about the "poor indentured servants" now that they have a path to bypass college ball altogether if they so choose.

We will find out how many of these guys are able to get a contract without the assistance of NCAA exposure. I'm guessing less than a half dozen per year.
I will bet there are a lot more wanters than there are getters.

It sounds like a good deal. You're offering a high school grad a job for $50-125,000. Even for a college grad, that's a pretty good job offer especially since it's not a full year job.

Reactions: Inspector100
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT