ADVERTISEMENT

No Luck in Indy

Just like many other franchises.

You crap all over the fans, their flag and their country, you get what you deserve.

It's a shame for what many people remember about a once-great NFL.

The NFL has a serious problem with their brand right now. The Andrew Luck thing is local, but it's not helping.

I dont think the NFL is in nearly as bad a shape as what you are thinking.

I dont think the NFL is in nearly as bad a shape as what you are thinking.

We will find out in a couple of years if the XFL takes root. I think the reason Vince McMahon decided to restart the XFL is because he saw an opportunity with how much the viewership of the NFL had decreased. Decided to give former NFL fans an alternative.

I myself might be interested in getting into the XFL but I’m not sure which of the 8 teams that an Indiana native is supposed to root for.

Reactions: SKYDOG and Purdue85
It's horrendous, compared to where they've been historically.

but, hey... it's their business. They can run it as they see fit.

They are still making more money than ever and if you are referencing the false narrative that people aren't watching, that's not really true. Viewership has gone up 5% the last two years. I would argue its probably a little higher than that because you can stream the games from random websites instead of paying for any sports package on any service.

We will find out in a couple of years if the XFL takes root. I think the reason Vince McMahon decided to restart the XFL is because he saw an opportunity with how much the viewership of the NFL had decreased. Decided to give former NFL fans an alternative.

I myself might be interested in getting into the XFL but I’m not sure which of the 8 teams that an Indiana native is supposed to root for.

I still dont think they can compete with the NFL and will fold in 1-2 years but who knows.

They are still making more money than ever and if you are referencing the false narrative that people aren't watching, that's not really true. Viewership has gone up 5% the last two years. I would argue its probably a little higher than that because you can stream the games from random websites instead of paying for any sports package on any service.

Yes, they're still making money, but it's disingenuous to think they haven't been hit hard.

Agree. They weren't just booing Luck, but more the Colts and how this was handled IMO. This injury was way more serious than they let on in the Spring, and I understand being upset after shelling out a couple thousand dollars on a product that is potentially not what you were lead to believe you were signing up for.

If Luck can't get healthy I 100% understand why he wants to be done. He deserves respect on this decision, regardless of the timing, and it's unfortunate that was his last experience walking away from Lucas Oil.

So much has been made of the booing. It's not like the stadium was full of people booing, there were some. But to automatically assume it was angrily directed to Luck personally....you can boo the decision and still not feel animosity towards the guy. Of course, timing is always everything and it certainly wasn't ideal timing. He can do whatever he want....it's just amazing to me to see how much money is just thrown away in professional sports. Keep $25 million so we look nice.

It's horrendous, compared to where they've been historically.

but, hey... it's their business. They can run it as they see fit.

Huh?

NFL games averaged 15.8 million viewers last year on TV (not including streaming). In 2012, it was 16.6...with no streaming.

5 college football games eclipsed that - 0 of them regular season games.

46 of the top 50 rated broadcasts last year were NFL games.

Of course the NFL has challenges - particularly in primetime games. But it's not unique to the NFL. College football has seen ratings dips too. And it's the same thing with attendance too...both NFL and college are seeing challenges there. And same with MLB, NBA, etc.

The NFL is a beast....I think they've been dumb to be slow to adjust to the 21s century by offering such limited selection and trying to dictate what people watch by being so restrictive on what is broadcasted. But they're far from in trouble.

Reactions: LLaswell
Huh?

NFL games averaged 15.8 million viewers last year on TV (not including streaming). In 2012, it was 16.6...with no streaming.

Of course the NFL has challenges - particularly in primetime games. But it's not unique to the NFL. College football has seen ratings dips too. And it's the same thing with attendance too...both NFL and college are seeing challenges there. And same with MLB, NBA, etc.

The NFL is a beast....I think they've been dumb to be slow to adjust to the 21s century by offering such limited selection and trying to dictate what people watch by being so restrictive on what is broadcasted. But they're far from in trouble.

"HUH"...?!

NFL has shot themselves in the foot over the past few years. Alienated lifelong fans through the social justice stuff. LA Rams to St Louis back to LA. San Diego Chargers to LA Chargers. And on, and on.

Apologize for them if you like, the NFL "leadership" sucks. They should be much stronger than they are.

"Huh?", indeed.....

NFL and ESPN... both being led by the clueless...

Huh?

They need to speed up the games. Too long of delays for penalties, reviews, etc.

Watch a Premier League game: foul, ref blows the whistle, puts the ball down, signals in one direction or the other, and keep playing. Same thing with reviews: someone up above tells the head official on his headset that there was a hand ball or that the ball crossed the goal line, and it takes 15-30 seconds max.

I can’t watch an NFL game live anymore. I have to DVR it and start it an hour later, then I can still catch up to live action.

"HUH"...?!

NFL has shot themselves in the foot over the past few years. Alienated lifelong fans through the social justice stuff. LA Rams to St Louis back to LA. San Diego Chargers to LA Chargers. And on, and on.

Apologize for them if you like, the NFL "leadership" sucks. They should be much stronger than they are.

"Huh?", indeed.....

NFL and ESPN... both being led by the clueless...

I'm shocked that your reasoning is driven by your political beliefs. Those sons of b*tches right!?

The NFL is not in trouble - it certainly has challenges. But there's nothing happening in the NFL that isn't being seen in all of the other major sports leagues...

They need to speed up the games. Too long of delays for penalties, reviews, etc.

Watch a Premier League game: foul, ref blows the whistle, puts the ball down, signals in one direction or the other, and keep playing. Same thing with reviews: someone up above tells the head official on his headset that there was a hand ball or that the ball crossed the goal line, and it takes 15-30 seconds max.

I can’t watch an NFL game live anymore. I have to DVR it and start it an hour later, then I can still catch up to live action.

But again, that's not an NFL thing. MLB, NHL, college football...and even college basketball is getting to be too slow.

I'm shocked that your reasoning is driven by your political beliefs. Those sons of b*tches right!?

The NFL is not in trouble - it certainly has challenges. But there's nothing happening in the NFL that isn't being seen in all of the other major sports leagues...
I’d have to agree, the NFL is not in “horrendous” shape, though their ratings do seem to have plateaued. But I guess plateauing when you are way ahead of everyone else is OK.

I think the political stuff will start to gradually be less of a factor over time, but the concussion/CTE issues aren’t going away. If the NFL was a publicly held company, I’d be selling based on that.

But again, that's not an NFL thing. MLB, NHL, college football...and even college basketball is getting to be too slow.
True, but the NFL delays for penalties and reviews seem longer than anyone else’s. But I admittedly don’t watch hockey or baseball.

I’d have to agree, the NFL is not in “horrendous” shape, though their ratings do seem to have plateaued. But I guess plateauing when you are way ahead of everyone else is OK.

I think the political stuff will start to gradually be less of a factor over time, but the concussion/CTE issues aren’t going away. If the NFL was a publicly held company, I’d be selling based on that.

The NFLs biggest concern is what just happened. Superstars getting their money then leaving because they know their brains get bashed in and the NFL doesn't give a damn. There are enough fans who don't care about the flag/kneeling issue to compensate for whoever "says" they wont watch anymore. There are only so many Andrew Lucks, Barry Sanders, Calvin Johnsons etc.

You may think you do, but you don't know my political beliefs, nor what drives my "reasoning." Don't give yourself so much credit.

The NFL has shot themselves in the foot over the years and it has hurt them, whether you want to admit it or not.

And, yes, there are things that have happened in the NFL that haven't happened in other sports.

I covered all that with this phrase from my post. " Luck will find a way out of his commitment to the Colts"
To make a fine point, then, down the road, it will actually be up to the COLTS to " find a way" for Luck to pursue his career elsewhere.....in the short term, Luck's "way" would be nowhere but Indy, if that's the way Irsay wants to play it.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT