ADVERTISEMENT

No big ten season- I hate covid

Sign a waiver, no lawsuit clause. This should have been handled in D.C. already and hasn't.
No ambulance chasers now or down the road if you want to go to college and same goes for players.

Just curious, from what august educational institution did you obtain your J.D., in which states are you barred and what firm do you practice at, because your malpractice carrier should be put on notice. Liability waivers are subject to all kinds of limitations and restrictions. Even in the states that most freely enforce waivers, waivers related to negligence resulting in death are subject to significant hurdles to enforcement (including, without limitation, showing that there was full and complete disclosure of risks and knowing assumption of risk by the waiving party). In more restrictive states, prospective waivers of claims are only enforceable against sophisticated consumers of legal services, which clearly does not capture college age students.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
I live in Chicago and it was ransacked last night.
That just sucks. Move to a Red state. I can guarantee you what would happen here in Jacksonville. While I live in Duval, I am a big fan of the sheriff in Clay (a black man and a democrat) who said if BLM or antifa comes to Clay County, Florida, he will deputize every legal gun owner in his county.
Stay safe!

Just curious, from what august educational institution did you obtain your J.D., in which states are you barred and what firm do you practice at, because your malpractice carrier should be put on notice. Liability waivers are subject to all kinds of limitations and restrictions. Even in the states that most freely enforce waivers, waivers related to negligence resulting in death are subject to significant hurdles to enforcement (including, without limitation, showing that there was full and complete disclosure of risks and knowing assumption of risk by the waiving party). In more restrictive states, prospective waivers of claims are only enforceable against sophisticated consumers of legal services, which clearly does not capture college age students.
*yawn

Keep jawing! Capital Hill is working thru the details of Federal Limited Liability.
https://www.pillsburylaw.com/en/news-and-insights/covid-19-liability-shield.html

States are also jumping on the same bandwagon:
https://www.natlawreview.com/articl...begin-enacting-covid-19-liability-protections
It will happen sooner than later.

Reactions: goboilers2
Yup, when your fantasy worldview runs into hard facts and someone who actually knows what they are talking about condescend and deflect. The proven comeback of low functioning message board mensa members the world over.
You are quite full of yourself, but be assured, you do not know it all and never will.

Reactions: goboilers2
You are quite full of yourself, but be assured, you do not know it all and never will.

No, I fully and readily admit that there are any number of things that I know absolutely nothing or very little about. In fact, I readily admit that my area of expertise is very narrow and of virtually zero value to humanity outside a certain set of parties that engage in a specific type of complex commercial transaction. However, such area of expertise involves negotiating complex commercial contracts; as such, I am comfortable that my CV qualifies me to speak with a certain degree of authority on contract law.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
Keep jawing! Capital Hill is working thru the details of Federal Limited Liability.
https://www.pillsburylaw.com/en/news-and-insights/covid-19-liability-shield.html

States are also jumping on the same bandwagon:
https://www.natlawreview.com/articl...begin-enacting-covid-19-liability-protections
It will happen sooner than later.

First, you are comparing apples and refrigerators. The above are discussions of statutory liability shields not contractual prospective waivers of claims, which is what I was referring to in your prior comment. Two related but entirely different concepts.

Second, the above does not support your initial premise that I was responding to; the above undercuts your original premise. If prospective waivers of claims in contracts were unambiguously enforceable as your initial post suggests, why are employers pushing for a statutory liability shield? If you could just sign a contract and disclaim any and all liability as you assert, why would employers not just tell at will employees to sign a contractual waiver of claims or be terminated? The fact that highly sophisticated firms represented by sophisticated legal counsel are pushing for such protections should make clear that your position is wrong.

Lastly, I am curious if you have actually read what the proposed federal liability shield you are so excited about does in practice. Its primary function at the federal level is to exempt Covid-19 from OSHA's general requirement that employers provide reasonably safe workplaces. Reasonable is a term of art in the legal context, and merely requires you act as a reasonably prudent person in same or similar circumstances would act. If you believe the virus is hoax, which seems reasonable based on your other comments, it should be an exceedingly low threshold to satisfy.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
That just sucks. Move to a Red state. I can guarantee you what would happen here in Jacksonville. While I live in Duval, I am a big fan of the sheriff in Clay (a black man and a democrat) who said if BLM or antifa comes to Clay County, Florida, he will deputize every legal gun owner in his county.
Stay safe!

I totally will someday. A damn shame as this is such a great city that has just spiraled out of control.

First, you are comparing apples and refrigerators. The above are discussions of statutory liability shields not contractual prospective waivers of claims, which is what I was referring to in your prior comment. Two related but entirely different concepts.

Second, the above does not support your initial premise that I was responding to; the above undercuts your original premise. If prospective waivers of claims in contracts were unambiguously enforceable as your initial post suggests, why are employers pushing for a statutory liability shield? If you could just sign a contract and disclaim any and all liability as you assert, why would employers not just tell at will employees to sign a contractual waiver of claims or be terminated? The fact that highly sophisticated firms represented by sophisticated legal counsel are pushing for such protections should make clear that your position is wrong.

Lastly, I am curious if you have actually read what the proposed federal liability shield you are so excited about does in practice. Its primary function at the federal level is to exempt Covid-19 from OSHA's general requirement that employers provide reasonably safe workplaces. Reasonable is a term of art in the legal context, and merely requires you act as a reasonably prudent person in same or similar circumstances would act. If you believe the virus is hoax, which seems reasonable based on your other comments, it should be an exceedingly low threshold to satisfy.
Virus is overhyped, overblown and simply out of control by liberals. Stay with your law practice where you can use your legal jargon properly and admire your sentence structure.
As for me, I will admit that I don’t know it all. However, I can detect that COVID-19 is scaring the hell out of businesses and universities alike due to injury lawyers who want to make a fast buck in settlements.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBG and oraclee#22
Virus is overhyped, overblown and simply out of control by liberals. Stay with your law practice where you can use your legal jargon properly and admire your sentence structure.
As for me, I will admit that I don’t know it all. However, I can detect that COVID-19 is scaring the hell out of businesses and universities alike due to injury lawyers who want to make a fast buck in settlements.

As much fun as this has been, when you keep making points that support my issue with your original post and start engaging in ad hominem attacks the discussion has run its course.

The funny thing, which you can believe or not, is that I do not disagree with you about the broader point you make. I agree that in many ways the virus has been overhyped and politicized (by both sides) and as a result we have not been able to have an appropriate data driven discussion, which has resulted in far more economic and societal pain and displacement than was necessary. Had we all agreed to certain annoying but relatively unobtrusive short term behavioral modifications like Europe, we could have been substantially back to normal and had a far less acute economic pullback than we have experienced. Not my opinion, look at the Q2 GDP numbers for Western Europe, with the exclusion of the UK that had many of the same issues as the US, the GDP declined at about 1/3 to 1/2 of the rate that it did in the US, and for the EU as a whole (which is approximately the same size for economic purposes as the US) at 1/3 the rate it did in the US. By treating a relatively minor short-term inconvenience like it is the modern day Coercive Acts, a subset of the population is acting against its own economic interest by prolonging the virus and exacerbating the unsustainable economic stimulus Congress and the Fed are engaged in to keep the economic contraction from being more acute. This is not rocket science. Wash your hands, wear a mask when and where appropriate and be thoughtful about your interactions with others, and engage in critical thinking and do not accept as gospel the talking points being spewed by individuals who have as their primary goal lining their own pockets not your best interests. Conflict sells.

Lastly, I leave you with this. While I agree that in many ways this situation has been mishandled, overhyped, etc., there is one statistic that you cannot run away from. Google "excess death" and look at the numbers for the last five months versus the historical average. It is clear that during that period there are hundreds of thousands of death in excess of what the historical average would suggest. I fully concede that some of that is due to people not going to the doctor or hospital because of fears over the virus resulting in death from not receiving necessary treatment in a timely manner, but there is still a statistically significant deviation since March. Unless you are willing to suspend all attachment to reality and claim that the keepers of death certificates going back decades have been conspiring to materially under count deaths for decades so that they can make some future president look bad, you cannot hide from this statistic. This is a serious virus, but it is one that is completely manageable with simple common sense steps. Wearing a mask does not violate your constitutional rights. Spare me that uninformed nonsense. Even a cursory review of the foundational texts that influenced the founding fathers would quickly disabuse one of such view. The drafters of the constitution and the bill of rights were all firm believers in that the purpose of government is to do what the individual cannot reasonably do for him/herself, such as enforce property rights, provide for the common defense, etc. That is why the powers of the federal government are expressly enumerated to prevent overreach, and further expressly limited by the bill of rights to reinforce this fact. This is the type of collective action problem they would have understood required government intervention, because individually you cannot stop a global pandemic but collectively you can.

As much fun as this has been, when you keep making points that support my issue with your original post and start engaging in ad hominem attacks the discussion has run its course.

The funny thing, which you can believe or not, is that I do not disagree with you about the broader point you make. I agree that in many ways the virus has been overhyped and politicized (by both sides) and as a result we have not been able to have an appropriate data driven discussion, which has resulted in far more economic and societal pain and displacement than was necessary. Had we all agreed to certain annoying but relatively unobtrusive short term behavioral modifications like Europe, we could have been substantially back to normal and had a far less acute economic pullback than we have experienced. Not my opinion, look at the Q2 GDP numbers for industrialized Western Europe, with the exclusion of the UK that had many of the same issues as the US, the GDP declined at about 1/3 to 1/2 of the rate that it did in the US, and for the EU as a whole (which is approximately the same size for economic purposes as the US) at 1/3 the rate it did in the US. By treating a relatively minor short-term inconvenience like it is the modern day Coercive Acts, a subset of the population is acting against its own economic interest by prolonging the virus and exacerbating the unsustainable economic stimulus Congress and the Fed are engaged in to keep the economic contraction from being more acute. This is not rocket science. Wash your hands, wear a mask when and where appropriate and be thoughtful about your interactions with others, and engage in critical thinking and do not accept as gospel the talking points being spewed by individuals who have as their primary goal lining their own pockets not your best interests. Conflict sells.

Lastly, I leave you with this. While I agree that in many ways this situation has been mishandled, overhyped, etc., there is one statistic that you cannot run away from. Google "excess death" and look at the numbers for the last five months versus the historical average. It is clear that during that period there are hundreds of thousands of death in excess of what the historical average would suggest. I fully concede that some of that is due to people not going to the doctor or hospital because of fears over the virus resulting in death from not receiving necessary treatment in a timely manner, but there is still a statistically significant deviation since March. Unless you are willing to suspend all attachment to reality and claim that the keepers of death certificates going back decades have been conspiring to materially under count deaths for decades so that they can make some future president look bad, you cannot hide from this statistic. This is a serious virus, but it is one that completely manageable with simple common sense steps. Wearing a mask does not violate your constitutional rights. Spare me that uninformed nonsense. Even a cursory review of the foundational texts that influenced the founding fathers would quickly disabuse one of such view. The drafters of the constitution and the bill of rights were all firm believers in that the purpose of government is to do what the individual cannot reasonably do for him/herself, such as enforce property rights, provide for the common defense, etc. That is why the powers of the federal government are expressly enumerated to prevent overreach, and further expressly limited by the bill of rights to reinforce this fact. This is the type of collective action problem they would have understood required government intervention, because individually you cannot stop a global pandemic but collectively you can.
You assume too much and write too long. I do wear a mask and have been for > 2 months now.
You whitewash the deaths and likely do not account for the suicides that have ramped up as well due to job loss, depression, etc. Stay sheltered though, beat your chest, and encourage young lives to not live free since it is the right thing to do in your view. Biden/Harris will have it all fixed, and fog lifted on November 4th, right?

Reactions: BBG
You assume too much and write too long. I do wear a mask and have been for > 2 months now.
You whitewash the deaths and likely do not account for the suicides that have ramped up as well due to job loss, depression, etc. Stay sheltered though, beat your chest, and encourage young lives to not live free since it is the right thing to do in your view. Biden/Harris will have it all fixed and fog lifted on November 4th, right?

Engaging in discussion with your reminds me of a particularly appropriate quote about playing chess with pigeons, but I digress.

You caught me. I am a total pinko Commie, supporter of ANTIFA and charter member of the AOC fan club.

As you clearly know, we are strongly against deficit spending and have as our primary goal economic growth. It sure was careless of me to include such well known progressive talking points in my response noting that I AGREE with you in substantial part.

Because I suspect understanding sarcasm is not your strong suit, the foregoing was sarcasm.

I am functionally a libertarian and firmly believe the nine most scary words in the English language are "I am from the government and here to help", but I am also a realist who looks at the data not what talking heads on either side tell me I should believe. Apologies, if you thought my rant was directed at you, it was not. My point was global. Modeling shows that if 95% of people wear masks it has the same effect as a lock down on transmission of the virus. My point was merely instead of bickering and arguing over who killed who, the data is clear. We can turn the economy back on; we can have sports; kids can go to school; etc. But this has needlessly become politicized and in countries where they just got on with it they are where we want to be. End of rant. Soap box returned to its storage place.

Last edited:
Reactions: mryankee2397
I don’t disagree. But what kind of fallout do you think that will be if one athlete dies of Covid
No offense, I’m sure he hadn’t thought of this and I honestly did not until I heard it on the radio. So the Big Ten if they played football and had someone catch the Covid and die would be any different than football players to get CTE, how? It’s not worse, catching Covid would be one thing but for a player to die? .04% death rate, not very likely. CTE percentage... Here is a clip from one of the studies done on the CTE. The Covid as a cover-up for something much bigger, obviously

-The study, published Tuesday in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), found CTE in 99 percent of brains obtained from National Football League (NFL) players, as well at 91 percent of college football players and 21 percent of high school football players.Jul 26, 2017

Last edited:
Reactions: PetesHammer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT