ADVERTISEMENT

Newman

pubill

Sophomore
Jan 2, 2021
I have been a big fan of Newman and lobbied for him to get more playing time ahead of Sasha last year and said he was the key to us having a big season this year.

But after today I believe we have lost him, as he came in and took 4 3 pters and at least 3 of those were badly missed. He did nothing else, rebound, assist , steal ,etc. When Paint pulled him it looked as Matt had some words for him and Newman spoke back. He plaed 8 mins in 1st half , and sat there all 2nd. At end of game it showed him up applauding the team, but to me , he did not look like he was fully invested and was least happy of our bench players at that time.

I really question now his future as a Boiler. HOPE I am wrong, but am worried.

I have been a big fan of Newman and lobbied for him to get more playing time ahead of Sasha last year and said he was the key to us having a big season this year.

But after today I believe we have lost him, as he came in and took 4 3 pters and at least 3 of those were badly missed. He did nothing else, rebound, assist , steal ,etc. When Paint pulled him it looked as Matt had some words for him and Newman spoke back. He plaed 8 mins in 1st half , and sat there all 2nd. At end of game it showed him up applauding the team, but to me , he did not look like he was fully invested and was least happy of our bench players at that time.

He played poorly this week, it happens, he’ll be ok.

He definitely found the dog house today. Sasha played like crap and cmp gave Brandon a chance and he immediately tried to get his and played like crap. Wasn't a good look.

He just tries to come in and be an AA. He needs to come in and be Sasha. He could really be a better version of Sasha if he focused. He’s really talented.

I agree with your assessment. He is having some troubles. I think he’ll be fine at some point though.

He just tries to come in and be an AA. He needs to come in and be Sasha. He could really be a better version of Sasha if he focused. He’s really talented.

I agree with your assessment. He is having some troubles. I think he’ll be fine at some point though.
I hope our coaches try and pump him up and give him some positive reinforcement. He has the body and is enough of an athlete and we know he can shoot it, if he gets good shots, that he can be a great Boiler for the next 2-1/2 years!

Backing up Sasha, I think he has to prove he is a threat from deep like Sasha. He overdoes it at times but when he’s on, he gets hot. He had a bad week like several other players. Hopefully after finals, everyone settles in.

I have always thought Newman was the second best athlete on the team. He also has some skills. He needs to let the game come to him offensively both on the perimeter and I think he can also get his own shot if needed. Needs to play hard and do the little things like Gillis and Morton. Behind Ivey and Trevion, he could be our best offensive player

I know this kid is a good shooter and that’s his go-to skill set, but you can tell the kid is pressing HARD.

He needs to get an easy bucket or some mid-range jumper (I know, I know—a “bad” shot according to the analytics) to fall, just to see it go in.

He’s got to stop forcing threes up. Easier said than done, of course. But get some shots up closer to the basket, and work your way to the perimeter.

I hope CMP hasn’t given up on him. Still think he can be a hell of a contributor, especially once Sasha leaves.

He didn’t sit the bench the whole 2nd half, he played some. Yeah he shot like crap and forced but shooters are going to shoot. More minutes will come when shots are falling (that goes for anyone on this team). He can be a damn good shooter he just needs to pick better shots at times but no reason to write him off and worry after a few bad shooting games when he’s averaging 8.5pts a game. He has a bright future once he figures out how to pick his shots.

Backing up Sasha, I think he has to prove he is a threat from deep like Sasha. He overdoes it at times but when he’s on, he gets hot. He had a bad week like several other players. Hopefully after finals, everyone settles in.
He is a good athlete. He has looked really good at times (at least once :) ) taking to the basket. Do that more. If the layup or short jumper isn't there, it's because you drew the defense to you. Someone is open. Pass it. As Painter says, keep it simple.

He didn’t sit the bench the whole 2nd half, he played some. Yeah he shot like crap and forced but shooters are going to shoot. More minutes will come when shots are falling (that goes for anyone on this team). He can be a damn good shooter he just needs to pick better shots at times but no reason to write him off and worry after a few bad shooting games when he’s averaging 8.5pts a game. He has a bright future once he figures out how to pick his shots.
You are correct, I forgot he played 3 mins some the 2nd half

I’m not worried at all. We have several shooters coming in next year who will be just as good and they won’t all redshirt. And we have Kaufman who will basically be taking perimeter shots next year as well. How many perimeter shooters do we really need?

Reactions: mathboy
I’m not worried at all. We have several shooters coming in next year who will be just as good and they won’t all redshirt. And we have Kaufman who will basically be taking perimeter shots next year as well. How many perimeter shooters do we really need?
It’s 2021. Everyone basically has gotta be able to knock a perimeter shot down, particularly if you’re a guard or wing.

I know this kid is a good shooter and that’s his go-to skill set, but you can tell the kid is pressing HARD.

He needs to get an easy bucket or some mid-range jumper (I know, I know—a “bad” shot according to the analytics) to fall, just to see it go in.

He’s got to stop forcing threes up. Easier said than done, of course. But get some shots up closer to the basket, and work your way to the perimeter.

I hope CMP hasn’t given up on him. Still think he can be a hell of a contributor, especially once Sasha leaves.

Yes, an easy bucket early-on would be quite beneficial for Newman. I can't remember the last time he hit the first shot he took. If he gets going, it's usually on the 3rd or 4th shot of the game for him. He's got to learn from Wheeler's experience last year. Even if Newman fancies himself a 3-point shooter, he's got to to contribute and get into the flow of the game before he starts launching those shots.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
He’s forcing it too much. Do the little things and let the game come up you. Get a couple layups or put backs.
This. I applaud players for “trying to be aggressive” but he needs to keep it within the flow of the offense. IMO, Painter needs to recognize it and maybe draw up a play or two for guys like him. It’s a long season and the entire rotation needs to stay engaged for this team to succeed.

Can we let a player work through some struggles without projecting him to be "lost" or labeling them not a team player?

Thanks to this post, I paid extra attention to Newman on the bench during our second half highlights. He seemed engaged and supportive from what I could tell.

I think he's just pressing a bit and trying to do too much in limited minutes. We're going to need his shooting as the season goes on so I hope he just relaxes and lets the game come to him. Concentrate on defending, rebounding, and taking care of the ball. He'll knock down open shots when he gets them.

How many perimeter shooters do we really need?
In today’s game, you can never have enough. This team flamed out last season because of lack of 3 point shooting. Relying on just a few guys to make shots gets you an early out when they have bad days in tourney and there’s no one else.

During the Keady days, we were often trading 1 point for 3 by constantly feeding the post and making 1 free throw while the opponent hit a three. It often worked out in the end but obviously, it never worked out enough times to make a final four.

Improving 3 point shot should be every player’s #1 priority. It’s how the game is played. I’ve said it many times before, we need shooters that when they shoot it, we expect it to go in instead of just hoping it goes in.

Totally agree. It's hard to come off the bench cold and start hitting contested 25 footers.
Get a little sweat going, play some hard D, get a garbage bucket, then find a little rhythm and take shots when you're open.
He's pressing way too much and looks frustrated.

He didnt 'talk back' from my perspective. He seem to acknowledge and accept the coaching. I think he has been told to be aggressive and just hasn't found the sweet spot yet.
I didn't see anything suggesting he isnt all in. If he or hunter can play to their potential either consistently or on a rotating basis, the team's ceiling goes up a little notch.

Newman can be a star for this year's team off the bench and to be honest, we need him to if we want to get to a Final Four. He doesn't have the consistency of TW yet but has had some very nice games this season.

Did he get frustrated yesterday? Absolutely, but I was happy with him getting off the bench and supporting his teammates. Butler is next, I wouldn't be surprised if he will go off for 15 pts in that game and learn from this experience.

Painter jumped several players yesterday.

Yeah there was no one on the team maybe other than Tre that escaped Painter's wrath. And it was not only warranted but appeared to work.

And frankly I hope he does it all this week and maybe drive home that they can't just walk out on to the court and win. They have to put in the effort.
They have to be tougher. Rutgers played agressive "bully ball" and everyone except Trevion, who thrives in that style, did not respond. They kept looking for the refs to rescue them, and that crew let them play. Iowa did the same thing, playing agressive and physical. When you are ranked #1, you have to expect everyone's best shot and not act shocked that the other team actually thinks they can win. They need to realize if they aren't giving 100% on both ends, they don't deserve to be ranked #1.

They have to be tougher. Rutgers played agressive "bully ball" and everyone except Trevion, who thrives in that style, did not respond. They kept looking for the refs to rescue them, and that crew let them play. Iowa did the same thing, playing agressive and physical. When you are ranked #1, you have to expect everyone's best shot and not act shocked that the other team actually thinks they can win. They need to realize if they aren't giving 100% on both ends, they don't deserve to be ranked #1.
Finally an assessment I can get behind. And as we saw in the NC State game when they do as you say here, good things happen.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Finally an assessment I can get behind. And as we saw in the NC State game when they do as you say here, good things happen.
What I didn't understand is we started cutting into the lead before the end of the half, we got there by not allowing them to push our offense out to center court.

What I didn't understand is we started cutting into the lead before the end of the half, we got there by not allowing them to push our offense out to center court.
Yep which tells me whatever is going on is mental or lack of confidence. Which seemed to change when we made our run.

This week off is at the right time and now we come out and blast Butler on saturday.

Oh, that was driving me crazy. We should have been attacking, but instead, we were retreating. We started our offense at the 3-point line only to move all the way back almost to mid-court. I'm sure it didn't happen as often as I remember, but it happened too often. That has to get fixed.

Being "tougher" is only going to get you so far. Eventually, regardless of how mentally tough someone is trying to be, when the other guy is just a lot bigger and stronger, the physical toughness wins out.

IT weighs 150, Hunter weighs about 170, SS maybe 190. When guards that are 30-50 lbs heavier and stronger want to take these guys into the lane, there's not much they can do about it playing 1 on 1.

It's the same reason a guy that weighs 220 has trouble stopping Tre when he gets the ball deep in the post.

Bully ball has proven to work against Purdue guards over the last few years.

Reactions: Boiler8285
This week off is at the right time and now we come out and blast Butler on saturday.
I think against Butler we need to come out aggressive on both sides of the ball. I want Ivey bringing the ball up with the instructions - drive into the lane and get a bucket for yourself or a teammate. We don't stop pushing until they stop pressing. We need to use our depth to wear down their starters because running suicides against our team will eventually lead to lazy passes, stupid mistakes etc

I think against Butler we need to come out aggressive on both sides of the ball. I want Ivey bringing the ball up with the instructions - drive into the lane and get a bucket for yourself or a teammate. We don't stop pushing until they stop pressing. We need to use our depth to wear down their starters because running suicides against our team will eventually lead to lazy passes, stupid mistakes etc
Agree and I think that is why we haven't seen much of Ivey bringing the ball up until recently. He had some learning to do, but no doubt has the skill to do so.

Ivey is the best ball handler on the team and can break a press by himself. Painter used Edwards the same way.
Speed kills.
Bingo and as soon as we started giving it to Ivey, they pulled back because they knew they didn't have an answer if he got loose.

Power shake meme with me and Bonefish

Reactions: bonefish1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT