ADVERTISEMENT

Never forget Aug. 12, 1978. Darryl Stingley

Purdue-Fan-Ian

Sophomore
Dec 3, 2004
40 years and 3 days ago, former Purdue RB and WR Darryl Stingley was hit by Jack Tatum with a vicious hit that left Stingley a quadrapalegic for the rest of his life.

My wife worked for years with Darryl Stingley's wife. Darryl was doing the best he could, but it was not a happy situation. That was in the mid 1970's. Don't know what became of them. Truly a sad situation.

...and no, I don't think Tatum wanted to hurt Darryl. However, I don't think he ever expressed any remorse about it.

My wife worked for years with Darryl Stingley's wife. Darryl was doing the best he could, but it was not a happy situation. That was in the mid 1970's. Don't know what became of them. Truly a sad situation.

...and no, I don't think Tatum wanted to hurt Darryl. However, I don't think he ever expressed any remorse about it.

It's been years since I've seen the video, but I believe Tatum led with a forearm to Stingley's helmet.

There's only one reason to do that.

One of the worst hits in all of football was Tatum doing essentially the same thing to Sammy White. White's helmet blew off in the other direction, and he lay motionless. Jack stood over him and motioned at him, then walked away.

Yes, I think it was intentional.

Reactions: 72Boiler
Stingly and Tatum passed a few years apart shortly after that video.

Stingly passed at 55 because of the complications that hit caused for the rest of his life.

Such a sad story.

Didn’t realize Stingly’s grandson is the #1 rated recruit. At least that’s something for his legacy to live on.

Tatum learned to play that way at O$U and continued it throughout his NFL career. I've read a couple articles on Tatum and concluded that he felt that it was just the way he played and 'tough'.

SPH for guys like him, IMO.

Sorry, I couldn't even watch the video again to this day.

According to Stingleys biography,Tatum was mouthy with him beginning in November,1970 when OSU played at Purdue,edging the Boilermakers 10 to 7 on a late FG.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chicago Joe
Jack Tatum was an asshat.
The ball was clearly incomplete when he made the hit - intentionally to cause harm.
There’s a Special place for losers like him.

Jack Tatum was an asshat.
The ball was clearly incomplete when he made the hit - intentionally to cause harm.
There’s a Special place for losers like him.
Exactly!!! Tatum was in the NFL for 8 years at this time. He had the experience to see that the ball was overthown and that Stingley was stretched out........and he should have pulled up and avoided the hit!

As a youngster, I got the opportunity to play catch with Darryl . He and my dad were friends.

Darryl is the reason I have been a Patriots fan since he was drafted.

I remember the day I read what happened. I cried and cried. He was my first "Favorite Player"

I, too, can not watch the replay. Loved that guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT