ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA tournament team budgets

I've seen these things posted before, but I've never seen a breakdown of what they include? This one mentions a severance payment to a former coach.

This one shows Marquette spending more that UNC. That seems strange, but again, I don't know what all it includes or doesn't include.

On the surface, it would appear PU got a big bang for their bucks. But I think we all already knew that part!

Reactions: rgarlitz
I've seen these things posted before, but I've never seen a breakdown of what they include? This one mentions a severance payment to a former coach.

This one shows Marquette spending more that UNC. That seems strange, but again, I don't know what all it includes or doesn't include.

On the surface, it would appear PU got a big bang for their bucks. But I think we all already knew that part!
Very good question and one I considered. My guess and that is all it is...is that each school does with the money as they want. Apparently, there is a budget and it only makes sense that each school controls the budget. We can expect salaries and recruiting to be in the budget. I think we can expect utilities to be in the budget. I doubt the budget includes a new facility . I can see how a severance package could come out of the budget, but that is not a yearly cost for most schools and if it is budgeted I assume most schools have a savings as a result. Purdue does in fact have a high return if wins in the tourney are used as a measure. I also wonder about schools like IU and their budget since they were not included. It would have been better to see the graph of all D1 school's budget. I expect IU's budget to be higher than Purdue's since it has been in the past. Where does the extra money go in IU's budget. No doubt they have some hit in paying off coaches.

If we assume and it may be incorrect that most schools are in that 2 to 8 million (wish we could see all schools) to fund their programs...where is the Duke/UConn money going? I'm sure they have a lot of money left over after utilities, but unaware of the coaching and staff salaries in comparison to those 2 to 8 million budgets. I suspect both have a lot more money after salaries and utilities than the other schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT