ADVERTISEMENT

My roster plan If I was Brohm; long

BCfanatic2020

All-American
Jan 5, 2020
If I was Brohm, Diaco and the ST coach would be gone and I’d consider bringing in someone new in place of poindexter. We’d go back to the 4-3 and Jalen Graham would have to either get up to true linebacker size or play only in 4-2-5 spread situations. I’d presume no one was coming back who I actually wanted and cut ties with everyone I don’t want.

Offense

Starter lost - Grant Hermanns, Rondale Moore

Bench players lost - Greg Long, Jackson Anthrop

Presumed Starters
QB Plummer or O’Connell
RB Horvath or Doerue
WR Wright
WR Bell
WR Sheffield
OT Miller
OG Craig
C Hartwig or Garvin
OG Jornigan or Hartwig
OT Bramel

Other contributors worth relying on:

WR Yaseen
WR Carr
TE Miller
OG Holstege
OG Washington

Defense

Starters lost - Derrick Barnes, Anthony Watts, Lorenzo Neal, Brennan Thienemann

Bench players lost - Simeon Smiley, Semisi Fakasaekii

Presumed starters

SSDE G. Karlaftis
NT Johnson
DT Faucheux
WDE Mitchell
WLB Y. Karlaftis
MLB Alexander
SLB Saunders
CB Trice
S Grant
S Allen
CB Mackey or Howard

DE Sullivan
DE/DT Kpaka
DT Austin
DE Hunter
DE Deen
LB Wahberg
LB/S Graham
LB Douglas
CB Johnson

@nat100 i don’t do depth charts since 2007 but this is for you..

And people can say “oh how do you know Faucheux will start??” Here’s what I do know.. if you’re relying on Kpaka or Sullivan next to Johnson, you’re in trouble. You brought in a high level recruit with two years in the weight room. The good programs get a guy like that on the field. The ones who let that shit from Saturday night go on roll Sullivan out there at a position he’s not big enough for.

the other two who haven’t played that I cited were Y. Karlaftis and Austin. With Austin at 315, I think you’ll need him to work in with Johnson. As far as Karlaftis .. maybe he won’t be ready on opening night, but I just feel like he will be more ready than that wahlberg. Maybe it’s from watching George. And then Hunter and wahlberg I’ve seen in the huddle looking like they are gonna go in so it’s just a hunch.

I think that’s the makings of a team that can go 6-6 and maybe look for more .. and that brohm can have a team that plays smart enough and can’t be greatly exploited in any one area.

key issues that have to be worked out.

offense

> Can Erik Miller play LT. I’ve always assumed that with his build, that would be his natural position once Hermanns left. Also, Brohm gets paid to know whether any of the other linemen are ready to be reserve tackles. If they aren’t, transfer wire.

> slot receiver. If Sheffield isn’t ready to be fully functional next season, part of being a head coach is finding a transfer who is.

everything else should take off. It should be an offense that got old and stayed old. It should be a lot more smooth and crisp on day one. I think of how laborious things looked for Isaac Zico and terry wright when they got here and how I was sad to see them go when they left.. and Milton Wright should really be a threat to get a lot of short to intermediate first downs for us. I look forward to the offensive line being even better and seeing the team work as a team instead of it looking like each play is designed for one guy.

Defense

> you need a safety. Brohm gets paid to determine whether Sanousi Kane, Nyles Beverly or whoever can fill that role. Cam Allen is ready to be a stud next year. You need a big ten caliber starter ready next to him ... I’d even say you need one if marvin Grant looks ready due to injuries.

> if you get Yanni karlaftis here early and get him out there, your linebackers may be okay.. if you done, you’d need a lot of faith in Saunders and wahlberg being ready for us not to be in deep shit in coverage ..

> Defensive tackle.. I’d say you need one even if Faucheux looks like he might be a good starter. You’re good over center but the actual DT is thin with players with the size needed.

I think if Brohm moves on from diaco this is about what you’ll see

Reactions: nat100
If I was Brohm, Diaco and the ST coach would be gone and I’d consider bringing in someone new in place of poindexter. We’d go back to the 4-3 and Jalen Graham would have to either get up to true linebacker size or play only in 4-2-5 spread situations. I’d presume no one was coming back who I actually wanted and cut ties with everyone I don’t want.

Offense

Presumed Starters
QB Plummer or O’Connell
RB Horvath or Doerue
WR Wright
WR Bell
WR Sheffield
OT Miller
OG Craig
C Hartwig or Garvin
OG Jornigan or Hartwig
OT Bramel

WR Yaseen
WR Carr
TE Miller
OG Holstege
OG Washington

Defense

Presumed starters

SSDE G. Karlaftis
NT Johnson
DT Faucheux
WDE Mitchell
WLB Y. Karlaftis
MLB Alexander
SLB Saunders
CB Trice
S Grant
S Allen
CB Mackey or Howard

DE Sullivan
DE/DT Kpaka
DT Austin
DE Hunter
DE Deen
LB Wahberg
LB/S Graham
LB Douglas
CB Johnson

And people can say “oh how do you know Faucheux will start??” Here’s what I do know.. if you’re relying on Kpaka or Sullivan next to Johnson, you’re in trouble. You brought in a high level recruit with two years in the weight room. The good programs get a guy like that on the field. The ones who let that shit from Saturday night go on roll Sullivan out there at a position he’s not big enough for.

the other two who haven’t played that I cited were Y. Karlaftis and Austin. With Austin at 315, I think you’ll need him to work in with Johnson. As far as Karlaftis .. maybe he won’t be ready on opening night, but I just feel like he will be more ready than that wahlberg. Maybe it’s from watching George. And then Hunter and wahlberg I’ve seen in the huddle looking like they are gonna go in so it’s just a hunch.

I think that’s the makings of a team that can go 6-6 and maybe look for more .. and that brohm can have a team that plays smart enough and can’t be greatly exploited in any one area.

offense

> Can Erik Miller play LT. I’ve always assumed that with his build, that would be his natural position once Hermanns left. Also, Brohm gets paid to know whether any of the other linemen are ready to be reserve tackles. If they aren’t, transfer wire.

> slot receiver. If Sheffield isn’t ready to be fully functional next season, part of being a head coach is finding a transfer who is.

everything else should take off. It should be an offense that got old and stayed old. It should be a lot more smooth and crisp on day one. I think of how laborious things looked for Isaac Zico and terry wright when they got here and how I was sad to see them go when they left.. and Milton Wright should really be a threat to get a lot of short to intermediate first downs for us. I look forward to the offensive line being even better and seeing the team work as a team instead of it looking like each play is designed for one guy.

Defense

> you need a safety. Brohm gets paid to determine whether Sanousi Kane, Nyles Beverly or whoever can fill that role. Cam Allen is ready to be a stud next year. You need a big ten caliber starter ready next to him ... I’d even say you need one if marvin Grant looks ready due to injuries.

> if you get Yanni karlaftis here early and get him out there, your linebackers may be okay.. if you done, you’d need a lot of faith in Saunders and wahlberg being ready for us not to be in deep shit in coverage ..

> Defensive tackle.. I’d say you need one even if Faucheux looks like he might be a good starter. You’re good over center but the actual DT is thin with players with the size needed.

I don’t think that Brohm moves on Diaco Ayer one season and especially the offseason. There has to be a reason he brought him in and had to know he was a 3-4 guy or else that really is a bad mistake on Brohms part. There is no way he did that.

I don’t think that Brohm moves on Diaco Ayer one season and especially the offseason. There has to be a reason he brought him in and had to know he was a 3-4 guy or else that really is a bad mistake on Brohms part. There is no way he did that.

If he’s still here shit is gonna be bad

I would agree brohm had to know Diaco wanted to employ a 3 /4 scheme. i could see Diaco staying, but he may be informed a condition of staying is to revert back to a 4/3 scheme. the 3/4 is not effective against big power BIG 10s schools that love to run the ball. it was sad to see even Rutgers running effectively against us.

I'm kind of sad to see you predict Purdue could be a 6-6 team next year. That is not close to the hopes and predictions of many fans here two years ago. but it's basically the reality of Purdue football. We're mediocre at best. We've become known as a competitive loser.

Reactions: DAG10
I would agree brohm had to know Diaco wanted to employ a 3 /4 scheme. i could see Diaco staying, but he may be informed a condition of staying is to revert back to a 4/3 scheme. the 3/4 is not effective against big power BIG 10s schools that love to run the ball. it was sad to see even Rutgers running effectively against us.

I'm kind of sad to see you predict Purdue could be a 6-6 team next year. That is not close to the hopes and predictions of many fans here two years ago. but it's basically the reality of Purdue football. We're mediocre at best. We've become known as a competitive loser.

I predicted 5-7 last year and think we would have been right there with Elijah and rondale because we had absolutely no OL.

next year will be about fixing this year and getting a defense up and running. We will have moments where it looks like the Ohio state game just ended in 2018 and then moments where we look Like hot shit in a bag.

look at your 2022 schedule .. then we have a chance to be back

I predicted 5-7 last year and think we would have been right there with Elijah and rondale because we had absolutely no OL.

next year will be about fixing this year and getting a defense up and running. We will have moments where it looks like the Ohio state game just ended in 2018 and then moments where we look Like hot shit in a bag.

look at your 2022 schedule .. then we have a chance to be back
6-6 in year 5 with some of the talent allegedly brought in simply is not good enough...and, you are suggesting to look at '22, when so many others had already suggested to look at '21...and in '21 when things are headed towards 6-6 if lucky, many will say look at/to '23.

If Brohm has truly done his job as well as most of us thought and hoped, 6-6 in year 5 would be deemed underachieving.

Reactions: Wolegib

Offense

Presumed Starters
QB Plummer or O’Connell
RB Horvath or Doerue
WR Wright
WR Bell
WR Sheffield
OT Miller
OG Craig
C Hartwig or Garvin
OG Jornigan or Hartwig
OT Bramel

WR Yaseen
WR Carr
TE Miller
OG Holstege
OG Washington

Defense

Presumed starters

SSDE G. Karlaftis
NT Johnson
DT Faucheux
WDE Mitchell
WLB Y. Karlaftis
MLB Alexander
SLB Saunders
CB Trice
S Grant
S Allen
CB Mackey or Howard

DE Sullivan
DE/DT Kpaka
DT Austin
DE Hunter
DE Deen
LB Wahberg
LB/S Graham
LB Douglas
CB Johnson

offense

Defense

While a nice analysis, several of those noted as departing may return given the extra year of eligibility, especially those that have no professional prospects, and, more so if they are already a year in on a graduate degree.

6-6 in year 5 with some of the talent allegedly brought in simply is not good enough...and, you are suggesting to look at '22, when so many others had already suggested to look at '21...and in '21 when things are headed towards 6-6 if lucky, many will say look at/to '23.

If Brohm has truly done his job as well as most of us thought and hoped, 6-6 in year 5 would be deemed underachieving.

the suggestion of 21 would have been good if we went out and hired a DC that was high level and succeeding

if announcers were saying things like “you look what he’s done getting young guys like Marvin Grant and Dontay hunter to have an impact and just how solid this defense is” yeah sure 2021..

While a nice analysis, several of those noted as departing may return given the extra year of eligibility, especially those that have no professional prospects, and, more so if they are already a year in on a graduate degree.

ill count those when we get them but really only anthony watts and maybe Jackson anthrop would be good to retain of those who won’t get drafted

ill count those when we get them but really only anthony watts and maybe Jackson anthrop would be good to retain of those who won’t get drafted
No chance in your mind that Hermanns comes back and turns a stellar year into a potential for a professional career?

Same on Barnes?

It will pain you, but, I have to think there is a good chance Thienemann will return.

the suggestion of 21 would have been good if we went out and hired a DC that was high level and succeeding

if announcers were saying things like “you look what he’s done getting young guys like Marvin Grant and Dontay hunter to have an impact and just how solid this defense is” yeah sure 2021..
Given what just happened on Saturday, I can't understand for the life of me how Grant and Hunter are not getting an opportunity.

No chance in your mind that Hermanns comes back and turns a stellar year into a potential for a professional career?

Same on Barnes?

It will pain you, but, I have to think there is a good chance Thienemann will return.

meither of them will be back

Grant can tackle and looks the part. Question with him can he put together a healthy full season. He lost almost all of last year to injury. He seems to play every other game this year due to injuries.

Grant can tackle and looks the part. Question with him can he put together a healthy full season. He lost almost all of last year to injury. He seems to play every other game this year due to injuries.

That’s why what I was trying to say was.. even if grant looks legit in the spring, Brohm probably needs to bring in a big ten caliber starter at safety .. the guy I always use as a baseline is Ralph turner .. he was hardly Stu schweigert talent wise but you weren’t gonna make a living attacking him in space either ...

Good solid safety.. really that’s all you need next to cam Allen anyway. Grant may be a better combo of size and athleticism than Allen by a small amount but Allen to me is playing like a senior in terms of processing what’s happening and reacting quickly to make good football plays. I don’t know 1) if we’ve had a better safety since Stu .. 2) if Allen isn’t the bear player on the defense other than George and Barnes.

If he somehow stuck around for three more years he might go down as one of the best we’ve had maybe the best. So you hardly need a miracle man next to him. I’d just like a guy where you can’t dig in to his inside and then hit an easy out to his outside for a first down on 3rd and 7.

People here used to cry all day about Mac Mac talent 14 years ago .. don’t know if I’ve seen a bigger example than 38. Other than Owen and Bick

Definitely LB

The way the game is going to me if a linebacker is extremely physical for his size .. I don’t care if he is 205.. can you cover? Cause we haven’t covered the pass well in the entire linebacker zone of the field since 2003!

I’d even go farther and say that I’m no doctor.. I don’t know if Michael penix or marvin Grant are injury prone or if it’s just coincidental .. what I do know is that if they could talk grant into playing linebacker man would he be awesome. He hits harder than Alexander right now lol

But I sense he came here because we would let him play safety ...

What are you guys seeing with Graham? Seems a bit slow to react and borderline confused at times to my untrained eye. Is that adjustment to the new scheme or more of a long term thing with him? Thought either he or Saunders would be flying around making plays by now. I've given up on Alexander being that guy.

What are you guys seeing with Graham? Seems a bit slow to react and borderline confused at times to my untrained eye. Is that adjustment to the new scheme or more of a long term thing with him? Thought either he or Saunders would be flying around making plays by now. I've given up on Alexander being that guy.

A kid who didn’t work out at safety and still looks lost at a slower position ... while I wouldn’t say he’s getting run by or run over I can remember him making just a couple positive plays all year

I agree with most of what you propose going into next year assuming we will be in a 4-3. I don’t think we will be though because I don’t think we will have a new DC. To be honest as fans I don’t think we should even want that. What chance do we have of getting even an ok DC if we fire one DC 2 years after he turned in probably the best turn around of any DC in the conference and then follow that up with bringing in a DC with a scheme night and day different from the previous DC and are ready to fire him after 5 games (and an off-season with on 8 spring practices). Imo not a single DC with any kind of loyalty in the country will want to come here.

Reactions: Inspector100
I agree with most of what you propose going into next year assuming we will be in a 4-3. I don’t think we will be though because I don’t think we will have a new DC. To be honest as fans I don’t think we should even want that. What chance do we have of getting even an ok DC if we fire one DC 2 years after he turned in probably the best turn around of any DC in the conference and then follow that up with bringing in a DC with a scheme night and day different from the previous DC and are ready to fire him after 5 games (and an off-season with on 8 spring practices). Imo not a single DC with any kind of loyalty in the country will want to come here.

If we don’t cover your midsection cause it’s gonna get ugly

If we don’t cover your midsection cause it’s gonna get ugly

It could for sure. I don’t think he will get worse with more time though. Just my opinion. We looked improved through the first few games for sure. Last week was awful. I just think it would be better to fire everyone than to fire another DC after only a year. I wouldn’t go coach at a school that gave the last guy less than a year to completely changes schemes and prove themselves.

It could for sure. I don’t think he will get worse with more time though. Just my opinion. We looked improved through the first few games for sure. Last week was awful. I just think it would be better to fire everyone than to fire another DC after only a year. I wouldn’t go coach at a school that gave the last guy less than a year to completely changes schemes and prove themselves.

To me it’s not like get worse as far as oh Jack Sullivan is gonna give less effort .. it’s like thinking it’s a good idea to run what’s basically a 3-3-5 with two SSDEs

To me it’s not like get worse as far as oh Jack Sullivan is gonna give less effort .. it’s like thinking it’s a good idea to run what’s basically a 3-3-5 with two SSDEs

I completely agree with that. We are playing small as is. Playing a converted safety at olb has always been the most confusing thing to me when we are struggling to stop the run consistently. Need to get much bigger in this scheme or an improved secondary won’t help at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT