ADVERTISEMENT

More firepower

Couch potato observation but it eels like there's been a big drop off in offense recently vs early season games. It seems the issue is not whether to play Gillis over Furst or Morton over Newman. Rather it's that our offense now is too predictable. Early in the season, guys were making their own shots and driving the lane. Not sure why that has basically stopped but it has. Now it's either Edey takes a two or kicks out for a three. We need more drives, layups and mid-range jumpers. With the rebounding we have, we will get a ton of second chance opportunities.

that's the problem with Painters commitment to running the offense through the low post. It limits your options because it clogs the middle. But, Purdue doesn't really have anyone who can basically run iso or get their own shot, so the offense will continue to be:
Dump to Edey
Doubletime
kick out
repost
dump to Edey again
double team
find the open shooter and hope he hits
crash the offensive glass.

that's the problem with Painters commitment to running the offense through the low post. It limits your options because it clogs the middle. But, Purdue doesn't really have anyone who can basically run iso or get their own shot, so the offense will continue to be:
Dump to Edey
Doubletime
kick out
repost
dump to Edey again
double team
find the open shooter and hope he hits
crash the offensive glass.
My worry is that it will lead to another tourney exit.

However, my hope is that having an actual PG like Smith will help.

My worry is that it will lead to another tourney exit.

However, my hope is that having an actual PG like Smith will help.
Yep, one cold shooting night in the tourney against a hot shooting mid-major will send Purdue home. I'd like to see Smith be even more aggressive on O, looking for his shot more. He did a lot of dribbling and probing last night, which I liked, but he's learning that the D at this level is much different than what he faced in high school.

Two games in a row, he's made a huge shot in the final minute.....one of them won the game, the other one could have. He's option 1A in that situation right now. Good to have an inside-outside threat in a down-to-the last possession scenario......especially when ZE is fully capable of knocking down FT's. Last night won't be the last time Purdue is in that scenario this season, IMO.
Completely agree with that. Would be great if he could get to the point where he's shooting so well that we're surprised when he misses a an open look. He has that skill level as a shooter.

Yep, one cold shooting night in the tourney against a hot shooting mid-major will send Purdue home. I'd like to see Smith be even more aggressive on O, looking for his shot more. He did a lot of dribbling and probing last night, which I liked, but he's learning that the D at this level is much different than what he faced in high school.
Agree, Smith is probably the only guy on the roster (maybe Loyer to a lesser extent if he can get back on track) who can create for himself or others outside of the offense.

I tend to give MP credit for building an offense that takes advantage of the guys he can get, but you're right in that there are some inherent limitations to what this roster can do compared to a guy like OSU"s Sensabaugh who can really go and get his own shot. Maybe Colvin and Catchings provide that?

Agree, Smith is probably the only guy on the roster (maybe Loyer to a lesser extent if he can get back on track) who can create for himself or others outside of the offense. *** , but you're right in that there are some inherent limitations to what this roster can do compared to a guy like OSU"s Sensabaugh who can really go and get his own shot. Maybe Colvin and Catchings provide that?

From what I've seen so far? That would be a big 10-4, Northy, Good Buddy. Pedal to the metal.

Painter played with a guy who could get his own and then some.....more building blocks and puzzle pieces, hopefully. We shall see......but this ain't the end of the road.

Gkgb.gif

Gillis really hasnt shown this year he is a better shooter than Furst. Historically yes but he missed two big shots and Furst really hasnt shot too many threes this year. I like Furst starting but either way were fine at the 4.

Gillis really hasnt shown this year he is a better shooter than Furst. Historically yes but he missed two big shots and Furst really hasnt shot too many threes this year. I like Furst starting but either way were fine at the 4.
Caleb rebounds at a better clip as well. This is where this team separated itself early in the season. We just aren't a great shooting team and that rebound can determine a victory vs a loss

Caleb rebounds at a better clip as well. This is where this team separated itself early in the season. We just aren't a great shooting team and that rebound can determine a victory vs a loss
So does defense and GIllis is flat out better there. Wash.

…. but you're right in that there are some inherent limitations to what this roster can do compared to a guy like OSU"s Sensabaugh who can really go and get his own shot.
That is demonstrably NOT a guarantee of success— nobody was better at “really going and getting his own shot” than Jaden Ivey during the 2021-22 season! 😳😳

That is demonstrably NOT a guarantee of success— nobody was better at “really going and getting his own shot” than Jaden Ivey during the 2021-22 season! 😳😳
First, I agree, it is not a guarantee of success, I don't think anyone implied that it was, but it's certainly helpful when combined with other positive attributes.

Second, I'd argue that many were better at getting their own shot efficiently than Jaden. He was as good as anybody at getting to the basket and finishing, but when teams took that away he had no real pull up game to speak of so it was jacking threes or trying to drive through three guys.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT