ADVERTISEMENT

Missed the blocked xp

HUD628

Senior
Apr 11, 2007
Went to the kitchen and missed it. All I have seen is the view from behind the end zone, and I don’t see a blatantly obvious offside like everyone is saying. Did they show another angle on tv?

I didn't have sound. What was the call?

Live, it looked like offsides at first. Replay not so much.

Went to the kitchen and missed it. All I have seen is the view from behind the end zone, and I don’t see a blatantly obvious offside like everyone is saying. Did they show another angle on tv?

Never saw any other angle than from behind the end zone, but I could have missed it too, as I was scrambling nearly as much as O'Connell during that game......

Reactions: Flot
They never showed a good angle. He started out a few yards behind the LOS so it’s hard to say. They kept calling it a blown call but I suppose they meant a blown non-call?

Looked to me like he got a good jump. I wouldn’t have been too mad if they called it back for offsides. Very close.

Black and gold glasses will tell you that he timed it perfectly.

Any other glasses will tell you it was offsides.

Bias aside, the angle we have can't show it clearly one way or the other. I'm leaning that he was offsides, but certainly not conclusive. The only person with the best angle didn't throw a flag, so that's good enough for me.

Black and gold glasses will tell you that he timed it perfectly.

Any other glasses will tell you it was offsides.

Bias aside, the angle we have can't show it clearly one way or the other. I'm leaning that he was offsides, but certainly not conclusive. The only person with the best angle didn't throw a flag, so that's good enough for me.

We're also forgetting these are Big Ten officials haha.

I mistakenly went back and watched the play several times, and I still can't tell, but I'm leaning toward Purdue got a break.....he did time it pretty decently, but not having a parallel view down the LOS, it's a lot more difficult. The ineligible penalty was a good call, but I'm surprised they called it.

The onside recovery was closer than I thought at first.....these Houdini games....wow. How many more can you take?

The question nobody is asking:
Why did MD decline the penalty on Purdue for illegal forward pass on the blocked PAT?

There's nothing to penalize, FDB, other than if Purdue had scored on a conversion return, it wouldn't have counted - granted, it has the same net effect as if the flag was never thrown in this case.
OK, I guess I’m just too much into semantics. It’s not like they gave Maryland an opportunity to accept or decline something, So I don’t think he should have said the penalty is declined.

OK, I guess I’m just too much into semantics. It’s not like they gave Maryland an opportunity to accept or decline something, So I don’t think he should have said the penalty is declined.

I follow.....well, wouldn't be the first time (or the last) a Big Ten official did that.....

Reactions: DAG10
Not being able to watch the game on TV, and listening on internet radio, I was surprised at the poor quality of the camera people as watching the highlights was extremely difficult and not very satisfying. I'm certainly glad that I don't subscribe to a B1G package. By the way, I do trust the comments by the radio people who seem to be knowledgeable. On that play they said it appeared that he might have been offside or timed the play perfectly. They did question many spots of the ball during the game. Oh, and I think the lag time on radio is much better than on TV.

Did they actually say the penalty was declined? I didn't have sound so all I saw was the ref signal, which could mean decline but it also means the try was unsuccessful.

Did they actually say the penalty was declined? I didn't have sound so all I saw was the ref signal, which could mean decline but it also means the try was unsuccessful.
He sort of flubbed his way through the explanation.

“After the change of possession… there was an illegal forward pass, by the.. blocking team… the penalty is declined……. by rule, the extra point is over”

Of course that's a lesson for the special teams guys. Sure you want to return it for 2 points, but you can't do anything stupid like turn it back over and let the other team get 2.

Guys there is slow motion video clearly showing the center moves the ball before Allen ever moves at all. Only argument you can make from Maryland’s side is they should have called an illegal snap with the center moving it but not actually snapping it. Cam went when he saw the ball move. 100% not offside

Guys there is slow motion video clearly showing the center moves the ball before Allen ever moves at all. Only argument you can make from Maryland’s side is they should have called an illegal snap with the center moving it but not actually snapping it. Cam went when he saw the ball move. 100% not offside
Yeah, I saw a slow motion clip from Twitter which clearly shows the center snapping the ball and our player subsequently reacting to it. So kudos to the refs for getting it right and not call it off sides.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT