ADVERTISEMENT

Minutes

Nov 21, 2012
I think we will see numerous different starting lineups this year, but here is what I would like to see Painter do with the minutes. Some are obvious, but Berg, Jacobson, Furst, Burgess are not easy calls. My thought is that none of these young bigs are good enough to justify taking heavy minutes away from our wings. I would rather see a 7 footer at the 5 situationally vs forcing it just because that's how it's we have played in recent history.

Berg and Jacobson are not currently at the level of a 3rd year Edey, Haas, or Hammons that all justified as many minutes as they could handle. Assuming they can rebound, this year's wing players appear to be too skilled and experienced to lose minutes to a 5 who isn't extremely productive on both ends.

Smith - 30 MPG, I don't want to see 40 minutes from Braden this year. We need him to stay fresh through the year, so a minute reduction would be smart if it doesn't cost us games.
Loyer - 25-30MPG, Same as Smith, but he is less important to play heavy minutes because of who is behind him
TKR - 30 MPG, We have enough frontcourt depth that he shouldn't have to go more than this
Harris- 20MPG, Maybe more depending on how he develops
Cox - 20MPG, Same as Harris

Heide - 20 MPG
Colvin - 20MPG
FURST - 15-20MPG,
I think his experience and defensive abilities against smaller 5's are going to be highly valuable this year.
Berg - 5-10MPG, I can't see him being anything more than a situation player this year. Play him when there is a big 5 to body up with, but I'd rather see Furst or even Burgess or a small lineup with TKR at 5
Jacobson - 5-10 MPG, Same as Berg, but I'd force feed him some minutes instead of Berg just because he has more upside and is our 5 of the future.
Waddell 5MPG - Injury Insurance and mopup
Burgess - Redshirt, I think he will be a valuable contributor next year, but I don't see him taking enough minutes from Furst, Berg, or Jacobson to justify burning an entire year.

Reactions: BBG
Burgess - Redshirt, I think he will be a valuable contributor next year, but I don't see him taking enough minutes from Furst, Berg, or Jacobson to justify burning an entire year.
Agree with this one and if the hype is real, you might even see Jacobson get the starting nod.

Lots of talent.. not enough minutes for everyone.. it's a GREAT problem to have.

I think we will see numerous different starting lineups this year, but here is what I would like to see Painter do with the minutes. Some are obvious, but Berg, Jacobson, Furst, Burgess are not easy calls. My thought is that none of these young bigs are good enough to justify taking heavy minutes away from our wings. I would rather see a 7 footer at the 5 situationally vs forcing it just because that's how it's we have played in recent history.

Berg and Jacobson are not currently at the level of a 3rd year Edey, Haas, or Hammons that all justified as many minutes as they could handle. Assuming they can rebound, this year's wing players appear to be too skilled and experienced to lose minutes to a 5 who isn't extremely productive on both ends.

Smith - 30 MPG, I don't want to see 40 minutes from Braden this year. We need him to stay fresh through the year, so a minute reduction would be smart if it doesn't cost us games.
Loyer - 25-30MPG, Same as Smith, but he is less important to play heavy minutes because of who is behind him
TKR - 30 MPG, We have enough frontcourt depth that he shouldn't have to go more than this

Heide - 20 MPG
Colvin - 20MPG
FURST - 15-20MPG,
I think his experience and defensive abilities against smaller 5's are going to be highly valuable this year.
Berg - 5-10MPG, I can't see him being anything more than a situation player this year. Play him when there is a big 5 to body up with, but I'd rather see Furst or even Burgess or a small lineup with TKR at 5
Jacobson - 5-10 MPG, Same as Berg, but I'd force feed him some minutes instead of Berg just because he has more upside and is our 5 of the future.
Disagree Burgess needs to play this year.

Good post. Some thoughts.

1. I don't foresee different starting lineups during the course of the season. For the most part, CMP sticks with something. Now that doesn't mean more minutes could develop for certain players during the course of the season. Or a scenario where mid-season, someone like Heide emerges into the starting lineup, switching things up and putting TKR into the 5. But I don't think it's going to go back-and-forth and definitely won't be based on the opponent's lineup.

2. I think, while the early going won't show it, either Berg or Jacobsen will emerge as the primary 7-footer. Not both. Only one. And I don't know which one it will be.

3. Smith's minutes - we'd love for him to only play 30 per, but I don't expect it. If our non-conference schedule was softer, then maybe the average could drop a bit because of only playing 24-26 in buy games.

4. Furst - I'd love it if he was a real contributor, but I'll believe it when I see it. I don't expect it.

Heide - 20 MPG
Colvin - 20MPG
FURST - 15-20MPG,

Furst. Was more optimistic before the Creighton game.

MIght be missing a guy.

If Berg isn't able to go @ the 5....

Perhaps our most talented lineup considering both sides of the ball might be........

TKR @ 5 and Heide @ 4
With the 5 guards rotating @ the 1-3 so we can run.

Might be a small lineup, but with quickness and rebounding guards, might work?

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
Burgess was our best 5. I know he may redshirt but for me I would say we need him this year. The way he defended guards trying to drive in him was impressive.

I appreciate the conversation starter. But candidly, it's way too early to make some of the determinations people have made in this thread. That was the first time DJ, CJC, RB, and GH played against a crowd that size and against D1 opponents in a real game. I wouldn't expect them to have shown in that environment the same things they will show us in February. Some will improve. Some will fall off.

We likely won't have a good idea what the minutes distribution will be for several games.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I appreciate the conversation starter. But candidly, it's way too early to make some of the determinations people have made in this thread. That was the first time DJ, CJC, RB, and GH played against a crowd that size and against D1 opponents in a real game. I wouldn't expect them to have shown in that environment the same things they will show us in February. Some will improve. Some will fall off.

We likely won't have a good idea what the minutes distribution will be for several games.
Potentially.. Duke did just beat Arizona state by 59 with almost all freshman, so there is precedent for expectations for good freshman..

Rebounding is going to be the key for whoever plays the 5. We will miss Edey's rebounding more than his scoring this year.

Reactions: DrEss
If Berg isn't able to go @ the 5....

Perhaps our most talented lineup considering both sides of the ball might be........

TKR @ 5 and Heide @ 4
With the 5 guards rotating @ the 1-3 so we can run.

Might be a small lineup, but with quickness and rebounding guards, might work?
I wonder the same thing. I’d be concerned about post defense and defensive rebounding, but I think it could really open things up offensively.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT