ADVERTISEMENT

Milton Wright

My answer is yes....as the threshold for eligibility is the same across the NCAA. Maybe the support structure was better there, maybe the classes are easier there, maybe the staff is willing to forge records to keep him eligible there (an assistant got canned for this at UM) but I think if you weren't doing the work here you likely wouldn't do it there either. These kids have unlimited academic resources thrown at them and to not take advantage says a lot about the kid and a lot about the program Brohm was running while here. Gotta remember, Jalen Graham was going to play the bowl game last year....until he was academically ineligible and then immediately declared and left the team even though he was practicing with them before the bowl game and new academic year.

It wasn't just 1 guy.
I mean, football players at OSU were taking a 3 credit “Football 101” class taught by Professor Tressel…

My answer is yes....as the threshold for eligibility is the same across the NCAA. Maybe the support structure was better there, maybe the classes are easier there, maybe the staff is willing to forge records to keep him eligible there (an assistant got canned for this at UM) but I think if you weren't doing the work here you likely wouldn't do it there either. These kids have unlimited academic resources thrown at them and to not take advantage says a lot about the kid and a lot about the program Brohm was running while here. Gotta remember, Jalen Graham was going to play the bowl game last year....until he was academically ineligible and then immediately declared and left the team even though he was practicing with them before the bowl game and new academic year.

It wasn't just 1 guy.
Your maybes are kinda what I was getting at my friend

Looks like he's going to the NFL supplemental draft. Good luck to him. I can see him making a team.

I'm guessing he tried to get eligible but didn't and thus the supplemental draft otherwise I would have thought he would have entered the regular draft.

This is the first supplemental draft since 2019.

Looks like he's going to the NFL supplemental draft. Good luck to him. I can see him making a team.

I'm guessing he tried to get eligible but didn't and thus the supplemental draft otherwise I would have thought he would have entered the regular draft.

This is the first supplemental draft since 2019.
well, at least he isn't going to L'Ville

Would have been nice to have had him back, but best of luck to him.

He has the talent to make it in the NFL. He just has to take advantage of it, when he gets that chance.

I mean, football players at OSU were taking a 3 credit “Football 101” class taught by Professor Tressel…
That might not be so unusual, or illegal.

Where I work, University of Tennessee-Martin, all athletes--not just footbalk--receive 2 PE credits of for athletic participation each fall and spring semester. And, those credits are graded, and they're always A. Again, this is for every sport, every semester. It's my understanding this is a common practice.

I don't begrudge the credits so much as I think they should be assigned Pass/Fail and not included in GPA. It really bothers me that our athletics dept. brags about athletes having a higher GPA than the rest of the student body knowing full well that they inflate those grades.

That might not be so unusual, or illegal.

Where I work, University of Tennessee-Martin, all athletes--not just footbalk--receive 2 PE credits of for athletic participation each fall and spring semester. And, those credits are graded, and they're always A. Again, this is for every sport, every semester. It's my understanding this is a common practice.

I don't begrudge the credits so much as I think they should be assigned Pass/Fail and not included in GPA. It really bothers me that our athletics dept. brags about athletes having a higher GPA than the rest of the student body knowing full well that they inflate those grades.
We all know that in the world of big time college athletics, the W/L record is what matters, not grad rates and GPA.
These "student" athletes are athletes first, which is why they get to go to school for free. Sure, a good % take advantage of the opportunity and take their schooling seriously, but the fact is, most wouldn't be at (enter big school name here) were it not for their ability to run, jump, catch, etc.
It is what it is.

Guessing the answer is no, but if no one selects him can he come back to Purdue?
I dont think so. My understanding is you would need approval to be in the supplemental draft. This leads me to believe Wright didn't get himself academically eligible. Therefore, he couldn't come back.

What makes this different than him just signing as a Free Agent with any team that wants him? It sounds like he's the only player in this thing.

What makes this different than him just signing as a Free Agent with any team that wants him? It sounds like he's the only player in this thing.
I was thinking this same thing earlier. Didnt look it up, but I'm thinking there must be a rule for the window when undrafted free agents can sign, which must have passed, otherwise yeah why the need for the supplemental draft.

Thought I'd post this recent podcast he did, though it doesn't go into what happened at Purdue with respect to grades and what his plan was.

If he was going to go in the draft he could have gone in the '22 or '23 NFL draft. Again, odd situation.

Kind of reading btw the lines, Seems like he didn't get his grades on track and this supplemental draft presented an opportunity.

Hope he makes it, but he's essentially going to the NFL as a free agent, so a steep hill to climb.

I think up to a certain age you have to go through the draft (reg or supp) otherwise what would stop the top QB from not declaring for the draft, then coming out in June and signing with whatever team he wants? Would circumvent the process of giving worse eteams a shot at better players.

Not sure why any team would "draft" one of these 2 players if they can just wait until tomorrow to sign them. I suppose if there were more than 2 guys there might be some logic behind it.

Not sure why any team would "draft" one of these 2 players if they can just wait until tomorrow to sign them. I suppose if there were more than 2 guys there might be some logic behind it.
I guess if you thought Milton is better than who you would get in the 7th round in next years draft, and you thought there was a chance another team would draft him ?

Saw his test numbers were shockingly poor. 4.69 40, and a 31in vertical. Measured in at less than 6'2" and only weighed 190 pounds.

I never thought he looked like a burner out there but I'd have certainly guessed faster than that. Being under 6'2" is more surprising, he always looked legit 6'3" to me. He'll never play a down with these measurables and not having played at all for 2 years. Really unfortunate, he was a good college player and seemed like a good kid.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
I never thought he looked like a burner out there but I'd have certainly guessed faster than that. Being under 6'2" is more surprising, he always looked legit 6'3" to me. He'll never play a down with these measurables and not having played at all for 2 years. Really unfortunate, he was a good college player and seemed like a good kid.
He looked like a legit 4.4 guy to me

He looked like a legit 4.4 guy to me
I would have bet $100 he would run sub 4.5…

…but wow 4.69 is awful. I played HS ball with a guy who got timed at 4.7 at a camp and I didn’t think he was much faster than me, and I wasn’t that fast…

Wherever he was "training" should provide a refund.

Not sure what he was timed at Purdue, but I think most would agree he looked much faster than Bell who was timed at ~4.65.

He was definitely our over the top wr and can't forget that 1 block he threw on Anthrops trick play against MSU where he outran everyone.

Anyway, I think there's a lesson here. You can work your ass off all you want on the field, but if you can't do it in the classroom you may just not get that opportunity to go pro that you were working your ass off for.

Wherever he was "training" should provide a refund.

Not sure what he was timed at Purdue, but I think most would agree he looked much faster than Bell who was timed at ~4.65.

He was definitely our over the top wr and can't forget that 1 block he threw on Anthrops trick play against MSU where he outran everyone.

Anyway, I think there's a lesson here. You can work your ass off all you want on the field, but if you can't do it in the classroom you may just not get that opportunity to go pro that you were working your ass off for.
This is a really sad story of wasted talent. We (most) of us thought MW would be an NFL/CFL caliber WR with another year in Brohm's offense. But, he just didn't/woudn't/couldn't commit to getting Cs and Ds in the classroom to stay eligible.

Wright signed with the Chargers today. He must be repped by someone good because Adam Schefter has pretty much live tweeted his summer lol. He won’t make the team but hopefully for him he can get a spot on the practice squad.

Wright signed with the Chargers today. He must be repped by someone good because Adam Schefter has pretty much live tweeted his summer lol. He won’t make the team but hopefully for him he can get a spot on the practice squad.
His old man is worth 10s of millions I think

Was reading up on the Chargers signing MW. Seems like everything's been positive so far, calling MW "prototypical NFL size", "Productive in Brohm's pro-style offense", etc.

Was reading up on the Chargers signing MW. Seems like everything's been positive so far, calling MW "prototypical NFL size", "Productive in Brohm's pro-style offense", etc.
Hopefully, he lands on the practice squad. Unless they have a rush of injuries, they have an abundance of tall WRs, so he is not making their open day roster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT