ADVERTISEMENT

Milton Wright

I'm guessing Purdue wasn't offering enough NIL money...
I doubt NIL is a factor. It's all about getting in the best situation and showcasing what he's got and getting in the 2024 draft.

I'm wondering if going into the portal is more about having a plan B just in case he doesn't get back into Purdue. He doesn't have anything mentioned about the portal on his Twitter.

Reactions: bonefish1
I doubt NIL is a factor. It's all about getting in the best situation and showcasing what he's got and getting in the 2024 draft.

I'm wondering if going into the portal is more about having a plan B just in case he doesn't get back into Purdue. He doesn't have anything mentioned about the portal on his Twitter.

At Purdue, he would be the # 1 option in a pass happy offense in a Power 5 conference with what appears to be a very good quarterback. It's NIL.

At Purdue, he would be the # 1 option in a pass happy offense in a Power 5 conference with what appears to be a very good quarterback. It's NIL.
I'm not saying he can't or won't get NIL, but its not like he can command Edey $. Any NIL deal would pale in comparison to an NFL contract.

It appears that we have had a lot of transfer portal entries today.
I saw today was the last day to enter the portal before the season starts so guys are jumping ship after seeing the writing on the wall I suppose. I’m interested to hear why Wright entered the portal instead of coming back? Guess we’ll know more tomorrow.

I saw today was the last day to enter the portal before the season starts so guys are jumping ship after seeing the writing on the wall I suppose. I’m interested to hear why Wright entered the portal instead of coming back? Guess we’ll know more tomorrow.
He can still come back. This was the last day he could enter the portal and possibly transfer.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
I'm not saying he can't or won't get NIL, but it’s not like he can command Edey $. Any NIL deal would pale in comparison to an NFL contract.
Walters has spoken openly, multiple times, about NIL being a HUGE deal in both recruiting and retaining players. To the point where he’s telling boosters to give to the Alliance instead of to the facility fund.

He can still come back. This was the last day he could enter the portal and possibly transfer.
Since he entered the portal, close the door on him wanting to come back should that be the case. Time to move on and get someone else.

Since he entered the portal, close the door on him wanting to come back should that be the case. Time to move on and get someone else.
No, he's a proven commodity and by all accounts a great teammate. I wouldn't close the door on that if there's still a chance. But if you can get someone else that can be a difference maker, I don't think you wait on Wright. I'll agree with you in that sense.

Reactions: Monk1014
I don't profess to know all the rules with the portal, but this strategy seems logical.

You might be on to something there. Creates a lot of unknowns when a player is ineligible for a year and a new coach staff comes in during that same time frame.

No, he's a proven commodity and by all accounts a great teammate. I wouldn't close the door on that if there's still a chance. But if you can get someone else that can be a difference maker, I don't think you wait on Wright. I'll agree with you in that sense.
Since he doesn’t want to be here by entering the portal, why let him come back if he wanted to? I want kids that want to play for Purdue, not ones that didn’t get the deal they thought they might get elsewhere.

Reactions: tenwest
Walters has spoken openly, multiple times, about NIL being a HUGE deal in both recruiting and retaining players. To the point where he’s telling boosters to give to the Alliance instead of to the facility fund.
While I don’t want to argue with boilerN endlessly he would tell you Walters has no reason to say that. We are good

• Haha
Reactions: purduepat1969
Since he doesn’t want to be here by entering the portal, why let him come back if he wanted to? I want kids that want to play for Purdue, not ones that didn’t get the deal they thought they might get elsewhere.
You don’t turn players with wrights ability away. If there were 85 guys with his ability who really wanted to be here fine.

A lot of Purdue fans probably wouldn’t want Wright back cause he hit the portal, but they want nalin fix if he really wants to be here.

Did Kory Taylor really want to be here? Nice single appearance on one kickoff in 4-5 years..

Reactions: PaBoiler78
We still don't know if Wright will be eligible at Purdue. He might, however, be able to become eligible elsewhere, hence the portal E try.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
We still don't know if Wright will be eligible at Purdue. He might, however, be able to become eligible elsewhere, hence the portal E try.
Based on comments from coaches, watching last year and portal pickups .. I feel like if we played Fresno state tomorrow it would be Ehdrine and yaseen outside with Sheffield in the slot. I’d be ok with that

Does Louisville have lower academic standards than Purdue in regards to their athletics?
Yes. Purdue is probably higher than any big ten school other than northwestern. And our opponents probably love it as they schedule more kids like Wright for basket weaving

If he’s enrolled in classes at Purdue, it seems like he wants to be here. Sadly, he seems to have put himself in a rough position with his grades. If he’s unable to regain eligibility at Purdue, entering the portal gives him the option to seek out a school with lower standards.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Good points. Has anyone seen MW since he left the program 2 years ago? Is he the same player physically/mentally?
This could be anything from Walters having a 1 on 1 with him and Wright not liking what he heard to testing the NIL waters.

Yes. Purdue is probably higher than any big ten school other than northwestern. And our opponents probably love it as they schedule more kids like Wright for basket weaving
I know some posters love to use our admission standards or academics as one of our barriers in recruiting, but do we know if we higher other than Northwestern?
Michigan is a great school, I can't imagine their standards are much different than Purdue's.

Reactions: pboiler18
I know some posters love to use our admission standards or academics as one of our barriers in recruiting, but do we know if we higher other than Northwestern?
Michigan is a great school, I can't imagine their standards are much different than Purdue's.
The question is does the school hold the football team to the same standards that they hold the general student population to?

I’m guessing Ohio State does not. Andy Katzenmoyer isn’t getting in otherwise…

I always hear this as an excuse locally why Georgia Tech sucks. I’m sure it’s a small factor but if a kid WANTED to come there they would make it happen. Same with Purdue. Same with any school.

The question is does the school hold the football team to the same standards that they hold the general student population to?

I'm sure that the same can be said for plenty of Purdue athletes.
I'd be shocked if the admissions process isn't different for high profile athletes than for the gen student population.

Reactions: SKYDOG
I'm sure that the same can be said for plenty of Purdue athletes.
I'd be shocked if the admissions process isn't different for high profile athletes than for the gen student population.
No question there are exceptions made.

It’s how many exceptions are made per team, per year, and how big are the exceptions.

Or CJ Stroud apparently.

Good points. Has anyone seen MW since he left the program 2 years ago? Is he the same player physically/mentally?
This could be anything from Walters having a 1 on 1 with him and Wright not liking what he heard to testing the NIL waters.
He's been training in FL. He was on campus for Purdues pro day catching passes from Oconnell and Tom Dienhart said he looked good.

When are Purdue finals? Assuming the rumor of Wright taking a class(s) is true, I would venture to guess that we'll know more about Wright's situation after grades have posted.

Reactions: Schnelk
BA from P-U, grad school at U-M. Maybe NW first, U-M second ... Put Purdue next group.

Well… Milton was ineligible here. think he would have been at Michigan?
My answer is yes....as the threshold for eligibility is the same across the NCAA. Maybe the support structure was better there, maybe the classes are easier there, maybe the staff is willing to forge records to keep him eligible there (an assistant got canned for this at UM) but I think if you weren't doing the work here you likely wouldn't do it there either. These kids have unlimited academic resources thrown at them and to not take advantage says a lot about the kid and a lot about the program Brohm was running while here. Gotta remember, Jalen Graham was going to play the bowl game last year....until he was academically ineligible and then immediately declared and left the team even though he was practicing with them before the bowl game and new academic year.

It wasn't just 1 guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT