ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Leach?

RegionWarrior101

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2014
2-1-9
I know he was bantered about during previous openings. He now seems to have WSU pointed in the right direction, and a contract that is not too rich... would that be an option? I think the offense would be exciting and maybe the lure of the Big Ten and new facilities, although to be fair I have never seen Pullman, WA and what they have to offer.

Reactions: pu1985
One addition basically to a building is what you call new facilities? Lights is not that big a deal either except we as fans have advocated for them for years.

One addition basically to a building is what you call new facilities? Lights is not that big a deal either except we as fans have advocated for them for years.
The $60 million dollar building specifically. I am not sure what he has at WASU. Just an idea instead of pillaging lower levels, get someone from a P5.

My guess is that he'd really have to see something at Purdue that Washington State couldn't/wouldn't come close to matching in order to leave WSU since he just brought back that program back to life and he'd have to start the process all over again at Purdue. Under the assumption that WSU wants to keep him, I can't see us offering significantly more money than WSU would be willing to pay or providing him a significantly better opportunity to win. At best, Purdue offers a bigger stage when they are good than WSU does out on the west coast but if he wins the PAC 12 title he still has a decent shot to get in the playoffs. I don't see his opportunities as being limited there.

I would hope that we at least contact his agent to determine if there is interest but I'd be surprised if he was.

I know he was bantered about during previous openings. He now seems to have WSU pointed in the right direction, and a contract that is not too rich... would that be an option? I think the offense would be exciting and maybe the lure of the Big Ten and new facilities, although to be fair I have never seen Pullman, WA and what they have to offer.
He`s a problem on the field and off.We need a new coach not Mike Leach.

Yep he would be great for the program.
Would love to see him in Black and Gold.
Said before - if he can recruit and win in Pullman WA....

............in the same thought process..Kingsbury of Texas Tech wouldn't be a bad pick..........great offenses......lots of points......fun to watch......definitely would need to find a better Def-Cord though. BiG Twelve soon to be dismantled! Just a thought.

............in the same thought process..Kingsbury of Texas Tech wouldn't be a bad pick..........great offenses......lots of points......fun to watch......definitely would need to find a better Def-Cord though. BiG Twelve soon to be dismantled! Just a thought.
I wouldn't be surprised to see some Big 12 coaches jump ship to lateral jobs over the next two to three years as they perceive the Big 12 to continue sinking.

I could see the Pac 12 picking 3-4 from the leftovers, the B1G looks to add 2 (Texas and Kansas/OU/Iowa State [ISU is a stretch but geographically it works]), the ACC adds 1 (probably WVU and makes ND a full member), and the SEC adds 2 (Baylor & TCU).

As for Leach, no way does he leave Washington State (IMO). He has built WSU from a depth deeper than Purdue is now and the arguably easier to win in the Pac than the B1G with the resurgence of Nebraska and programs like Wisconsin and Iowa perennial strong while Oregon and Stanford seem to be slowly sliding as their coaches lose the previous staffs players.

No on Kingsbury. Texas Tech does not play bad defense...they play no defense.

Here's a name from the Leach coaching tree: Dana Holgerson at WVU. He also played for Leach...just a nugget for conversation....

I wouldn't be surprised to see some Big 12 coaches jump ship to lateral jobs over the next two to three years as they perceive the Big 12 to continue sinking.

I could see the Pac 12 picking 3-4 from the leftovers, the B1G looks to add 2 (Texas and Kansas/OU/Iowa State [ISU is a stretch but geographically it works]), the ACC adds 1 (probably WVU and makes ND a full member), and the SEC adds 2 (Baylor & TCU).

As for Leach, no way does he leave Washington State (IMO). He has built WSU from a depth deeper than Purdue is now and the arguably easier to win in the Pac than the B1G with the resurgence of Nebraska and programs like Wisconsin and Iowa perennial strong while Oregon and Stanford seem to be slowly sliding as their coaches lose the previous staffs players.
Sorry not to derail this into another realignment thread....but your conference move predictions are completely off-base. We wouldn't take ISU if they had naked pictures of Delany. They bring zilch. In fact no P5 conference will ever take them. And they know they're screwed if B12 implodes.

WVU is just about the worst academic school in the P5. I see them MAYBE in the SEC but no way ACC wants them.

And the SEC has no reason to take two small, private, religious schools in a state they've already claimed. If we got UT and OU, I could fathom Okie State and WVU possibly to the SEC. Although I'm not sure they add enough. I think the SEC really wants OU.

Sorry not to derail this into another realignment thread....but your conference move predictions are completely off-base. We wouldn't take ISU if they had naked pictures of Delany. They bring zilch. In fact no P5 conference will ever take them. And they know they're screwed if B12 implodes.

WVU is just about the worst academic school in the P5. I see them MAYBE in the SEC but no way ACC wants them.

And the SEC has no reason to take two small, private, religious schools in a state they've already claimed. If we got UT and OU, I could fathom Okie State and WVU possibly to the SEC. Although I'm not sure they add enough. I think the SEC really wants OU.

Did I or did I not clearly state that ISU was a stretch beyond their geographic location?

SEC would be the only suitor for Baylor considering the scandals.

WVU fits in geographically with ACC and if they took Louisville...they would take WVU.

Mike Leach is a giant turd. Atlanta sports talk radio roasted the guy big time last night and they aren't wrong. Guy is a terrible public speaker (worse than Hope). He rambles and can't look a man in the eye when being spoken too

Outside of a good offense he brings your program nothing. Plenty of good OCs you can hire besides this creep.

Mike Leach is a great coach & a brilliant offensive mind. How he built Texas Tech & now Washington State is amazing, both of those programs were in the dumps before Leach. Purdue would be lucky to hire him.

Did I or did I not clearly state that ISU was a stretch beyond their geographic location?

SEC would be the only suitor for Baylor considering the scandals.

WVU fits in geographically with ACC and if they took Louisville...they would take WVU.
I'll concede the point on Louisville. No difference in academics between WVU and them.

But ISU isn't a "stretch". It would never happen in any scenario ever. And I don't think the SEC would have any interest in Baylor at all. They don't fit the profile of the conference.

I'll concede the point on Louisville. No difference in academics between WVU and them.

But ISU isn't a "stretch". It would never happen in any scenario ever. And I don't think the SEC would have any interest in Baylor at all. They don't fit the profile of the conference.

The SEC would only take Oklahoma or Texas. None of the other teams in the BIG12 bring anything to the table that they don't already have.

Mike Leach is a great coach & a brilliant offensive mind. How he built Texas Tech & now Washington State is amazing, both of those programs were in the dumps before Leach. Purdue would be lucky to hire him.
100% agree w/ you, you have to give him credit as he only takes jobs that are total rebuilds not reloads, incredibly more difficult, not to mention those 2 places mentioned aren't the easiest to recruit to. He would be my #1 choice but will be hoping for Fleck or settle for Brohm.

The things I have heard about Mike Leach don't bother me in the least but I may not have heard all there is.

What I do know is that he brings an exciting offense that would fit right in with our history and that he brought two programs that are in a similar position as ours in their conference from the doldrums (where we are right now) to respectability. I could honestly give two craps about his public speaking skills and if that is the biggest knock on him I wouldn't hesitate for a second to hire him.

All that said, I don't see what draw there is for him to Purdue. He's already at a P5 program. According to the link below he already makes nearly 3 million a year at WSU. Doubt we can top that and I don't think there's any reason for him to want to come to Purdue to start a rebuild all over.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
The things I have heard about Mike Leach don't bother me in the least but I may not have heard all there is.

What I do know is that he brings an exciting offense that would fit right in with our history and that he brought two programs that are in a similar position as ours in their conference from the doldrums (where we are right now) to respectability. I could honestly give two craps about his public speaking skills and if that is the biggest knock on him I wouldn't hesitate for a second to hire him.

All that said, I don't see what draw there is for him to Purdue. He's already at a P5 program. According to the link below he already makes nearly 3 million a year at WSU. Doubt we can top that and I don't think there's any reason for him to want to come to Purdue to start a rebuild all over.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Agree that in terms of a perfect hiring fit, Leach would fit easily at Purdue and I don't think there would be any doubt he would build the program back. He would be the fail-safe hire of all fail-safe hires. But like you said, he is making good money at WSU and is more likely to make a league championship at WSU rather than at Purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT