ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Bobinski on the football program

Not sure what else he can say at this point. It's what he does that matters.
Agree, although I have to also agree with the initial post in that there was not much substance to what he had said, never mind he has avoided actual media and the video was a further attempt to do just that.

I read the transcript and in my mind it sounded a lot like Charlie Brown hears his teacher. "Wa,wa,wa." Just another PC talking head piece. The proof is in the pudding. He's got one shot to get the recipe correct or you can right off his Purdue legacy.

Reactions: DG10
My "GUT" feeling tells me.........if we get Hammered by ILLI..........then come home and lay an egg against Iowa......Hazz will be let go after the Homecoming game! MB2 has to make a statement to back up his comments! If he really cares about the state of Purdue football, he has to back it up with action! No doubt the season ends in the toilet, but he has to give the fan base something to hang their hat on. I thought I read somewhere for Homecoming weekend, it's bring a Mannequin to the stadium and get a free ticket! Only way to make it look half full for the game. Embarrassing as hell to keep looking at a half empty stadium on national TV...........

So what is it, are we going all in for championships (Bobinski) or are we not getting into an "arms race" (Daniels/BOT). This is what scares the sh!t out of me. I realize Bobinski is saying what he has to say, but he better be ready to fight if he's serious.

My "GUT" feeling tells me.........if we get Hammered by ILLI..........then come home and lay an egg against Iowa......Hazz will be let go after the Homecoming game! MB2 has to make a statement to back up his comments! If he really cares about the state of Purdue football, he has to back it up with action! No doubt the season ends in the toilet, but he has to give the fan base something to hang their hat on. I thought I read somewhere for Homecoming weekend, it's bring a Mannequin to the stadium and get a free ticket! Only way to make it look half full for the game. Embarrassing as hell to keep looking at a half empty stadium on national TV...........
that was my prediction at the beginning of the week too, after the HC game.

1aa5f86dce410e73ab07360689a678b1.jpg

Reactions: ahhculdee
I think he is answering like someone who has been on new job for just over a month. I inherited this mess. He did not create it.

Not sure what some of you are expecting him to say at this point.. He says he hears your concerns without using the opportunity to mock you as internet knuckleheads. Says he is committed to getting football turned around. Essentially guarantees it will happen. Doesn't hedge his bets other than saying it will take some time (duh!). Says our goals should be championships, NYD bowls, playoffs, with no mention of arms races or other built-in excuses. Doesn't change the topic to team GPA or how great the volleyball team is.

Btw- Try reading between the lines. He never mentioned Hazell by name. He never does. That should tell you all you need to know. He's biding his time. There is a plan.

Not sure what some of you are expecting him to say at this point.. He says he hears your concerns without using the opportunity to mock you as internet knuckleheads. Says he is committed to getting football turned around. Essentially guarantees it will happen. Doesn't hedge his bets other than saying it will take some time (duh!). Says our goals should be championships, NYD bowls, playoffs, with no mention of arms races or other built-in excuses. Doesn't change the topic to team GPA or how great the volleyball team is.

Btw- Try reading between the lines. He never mentioned Hazell by name. He never does. That should tell you all you need to know. He's biding his time. There is a plan.
Right on. He never ended any sentence about the goals of the program with the phrase "and Darrell Hazell is the guy to lead us there!" In other words, don't Hazell your hat anymore (if you ever did).

Never mentioned or mentions DH by name unless specifically asked. Its a good sign that there is no sign.

Yeah I mean, an AD can't come out and blast his FB coach....even if he sucks and even if he's not winning. He can just use strong-ish language, urge improvement and make a change when things don't work out. I can't really think of a time where an AD came out and blasted the football coach....at the end of the day, you as a fan doesn't have to see and work with Hazell on a daily basis.

Bobinski does. What if your boss was blasting you in public day in and day out? Is that a place where you feel enabled to succeed? Is that a place where his replacement would feel supported and enabled to succeed?

I think people on here can't separate message board vitriol from how real life HR and relations work. You want to treat your FB coach well while he is here so that the next guy feels they are walking into a situation where they will be given the opportunity to succeed and time to make their changes. Obviously that's not going to happen with Hazell in the long run, but treating him like a professional instead of blasting him in public is the best thing we can do now. Professionals can get fired when they don't stack up. Hazell is most likely in that category. Also, with a bowl as a possibility (but not a reality) I think it sends a bad message to fire a guy before that possibility is actually out of reach. Again, shows the next guy that we have the patience to let them achieve and turn things around....even if unlikely. We don't do that for every coach, every year into perpetuity....but when it's clear that MBob was brought in to make changes....and that an overnight ousting of Hazell changes nothing for the immediate future of Purdue football, I think its easy to see what his words mean.

He's not saying anything about Hazell. I think in fact by NOT mentioning him it's pretty clear that any plan formulation he speaks of does not involve him.

Latest rumor is that he has spent four days searching for the funds for the buyout. Hasn't found them yet. Don't shoot the messenger and please stop the crap about those who think there was a meeting are naive. If you can tell me what room the QBs watch film in, what office is next to the copy room, what is in the hall outsider the conference room every monday afternoon, describe Hazell's admin assistant in one word, and describe the video production office .... then I will respect your opinion.

Reactions: Cevol03
Latest rumor is that he has spent four days searching for the funds for the buyout.

This doesnt make sense. There is no buyout. As i read the contract, Purdue continues to make monthly payments as it would if he were still employed. Unless they are trying to negotiate a lump sum.

This doesnt make sense. There is no buyout. As i read the contract, Purdue continues to make monthly payments as it would if he were still employed. Unless they are trying to negotiate a lump sum.

It does make sense, don't get hung up on lump sum vs payment stream. He's trying to find a way to pay the committed Hazell funds ("the buyout"), because the program's going to have to pay a new coach.

Burke talked about winning championships so many times with absolutely no progress that I shut off when I hear this silly language. Keep your mouth shut, win a few games, and then talk about a championship. The Purdue boys have been crying "wolf" so long that no one pays attention any longer.
+1

Latest rumor is that he has spent four days searching for the funds for the buyout. Hasn't found them yet. Don't shoot the messenger and please stop the crap about those who think there was a meeting are naive. If you can tell me what room the QBs watch film in, what office is next to the copy room, what is in the hall outsider the conference room every monday afternoon, describe Hazell's admin assistant in one word, and describe the video production office .... then I will respect your opinion.
Has MBob considered starting a "Let's Fire Haze!" Go Fund Me account?

Reactions: boilersallthewaynow
It does make sense, don't get hung up on lump sum vs payment stream. He's trying to find a way to pay the committed Hazell funds ("the buyout"), because the program's going to have to pay a new coach.
Shoot now, ask questions later

One word - foxy

Just a suggestion...watch for the annual check from the BTN revenue, it is about $41m.

BUT, PU is the only B1G school who has to share that with the University ...
IT IS $41 MILLION!! And, they get that EVERY year for doing absolutely nothing (and the amount is going to go up substantially with the most recent TV deals)...they could share it with anyone and still have more than enough to buy out the present coach and pay substantially for a new one.

IT IS $41 MILLION!! And, they get that EVERY year for doing absolutely nothing (and the amount is going to go up substantially with the most recent TV deals)...they could share it with anyone and still have more than enough to buy out the present coach and pay substantially for a new one.

not when other revenue streams have dried up. The BTN money has not significantly increased department revenues. That should tell you how bad the ticket sales are.

not when other revenue streams have dried up. The BTN money has not significantly increased department revenues. That should tell you how bad the ticket sales are.
What you're saying is there are 10's of millions in revenue streams that would be actualized with an investment of 4 million. And that is what should be on page one of any sales pitch to the administration: The cost associated with having an irrelevant football program.

What you're saying is there are 10's of millions in revenue streams that would be actualized with an investment of 4 million. And that is what should be on page one of any sales pitch to the administration: The cost associated with having an irrelevant football program.

More or less

They never made that much annually when those revenue streams existed though...the BTN money is literally the only thing keeping the Athletic Department running, and has been for quite some time.

That aside, the money is there and exists to cover the buyout of Hazell and pay for a new coach, and that does not even account for the fact that the number is going to go up significantly on the heels of the most recent television contract negotiations.

Reactions: EastCoastBoiler
Is there no one in the AD who understands how to build and invest in a business? Fred Glass seems to.

Is there no one in the AD who understands how to build and invest in a business? Fred Glass seems to.
Which begs the question of the backgrounds of the people pulling the strings. Would have thought they were extremely successful business people. The decisions that are made are completely contrary to that thought. Unless they made their money back in a different age or in commodity-type business where you just don't have to sell and can bleed you customers dry.

IU has an established customer base and revenue stream. It's all those sub alums still celebrating their dusty banners. Purdue, not so much. Purdue football is pretty much run like Where Else? It gets old and then requires a complete teardown for something new.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT