ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan State vs. Purdue: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

427...listen to the 5 minute Painter presser in the thread on this site. He literally said that if Braden could have injured the calf more, he probably wouldn't have played him.

I am not sure the trainers had enough time to really determine for sure exactly what happened to him?

All they really had time to do was determine is that Smith improved and could run/compete on it. Which was great. So happy to see him back out there!!!

But still, I am major league curious exactly what happened medically to his upper calf?

Did our starting point guard get evaluated by one before he was put back in the game? And yeah, you can make a calf injury worse, you don’t need a degree for that one.

This is 2024 NCAA basketball. Not 1980 Olympic hockey. And if it we want it to be 1980 Purdue basketball, we need our starting point guard.

Plus diagnosing an injury that way requires feedback from the player as you do things to the leg. Asking a player on a scale of 1-10 what does this now feel like? I know from how football players tried to fake not having concussions to get back in a game a trainer, or even a PT, saying the player is ok may not be so.

iS pAiNtEr A dOcToR nOW !?!?!?

In all seriousness, the fact that he used the word probably is even more concerning.

Please tell me he didn’t actually say probably
427...listen to the 5 minute Painter presser in the thread on this site. He literally said that if Braden could have injured the calf more, he probably wouldn't have played him.

• Haha
Reactions: boilerzz
iS pAiNtEr A dOcToR nOW !?!?!?

In all seriousness, the fact that he used the word probably is even more concerning.

Please tell me he didn’t actually say probably
I honestly don't remember the exact wording. You can listen for yourself. However, I'll stand by the FACT that he had more and better information to make a decision such as this than you did. And I don't mean that as an insult to you, it's just FACT. He also had more information than I did. I'm no doctor either, and I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express since I used to do afternoon delights at Exit 215 on I-65 with my now-wife.

Reactions: boilerzz
I honestly don't remember the exact wording. You can listen for yourself. However, I'll stand by the FACT that he had more and better information to make a decision such as this than you did. And I don't mean that as an insult to you, it's just FACT. He also had more information than I did. I'm no doctor either, and I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express since I used to do afternoon delights at Exit 215 on I-65 with my now-wife.
This seriously isn’t personal, but it’s just funny to me, that I state my opinion, and you’re like “are you doctor” but painter says “he couldn’t have injured it worse” and that’s not questioned. Because he has better information……..

Braden was gone 4 mins. Painter wasn’t with him. He had nearly the same exact information I did. Maybe less, he might not have seen a replay

This seriously isn’t personal, but it’s just funny to me, that I state my opinion, and you’re like “are you doctor” but painter says “he couldn’t have injured it worse” and that’s not questioned. Because he has better information……..

Braden was gone 4 mins. Painter wasn’t with him. He had nearly the same exact information I did. Maybe less, he might not have seen a replay
HAHAHA! Painter "had nearly the same exact information [you] did." Are you on the bench? Are you PJ Thompson? Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccce? How do you possibly know what Painter knew? That's hilarious.

Now you're stating opinions while earlier they were facts. Ok.

Everybody keeps talking about this as a calf injury. Here is Braden himself saying it was a hyper extended knee, not a calf injury.

Reactions: tjreese
HAHAHA! Painter "had nearly the same exact information [you] did." Are you on the bench? Are you PJ Thompson? Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccce? How do you possibly know what Painter knew? That's hilarious.

Now you're stating opinions while earlier they were facts. Ok.
I’m sure he got a full medical debrief in the 4 mins it took for him to go back into the locker room and re enter the game. Keep laughing dude, but there is literally no way

I’m sure he got a full medical debrief in the 4 mins it took for him to go back into the locker room and re enter the game. Keep laughing dude, but there is literally no way
And there's literally no way YOU had even remotely close to the same information as COACH Matt Painter. Peace out dude.

True, but I see that as a mischaracterization of what happened. Braden was hurt. Braden walked off putting some weight on his leg. Braden was seen by the trainer that has probably worked with more sports related injuries than a random doctor. The trainer had no issues. Braden wanted to play. It "appears" Matt was talking to him and I'm guessing asking if he can go...not wanting to jeopardize the other player's desire with a player that couldn't go. Braden was laughing and wanted to play and so Matt put him in and Purdue won.

At Minny there were Purdue fans questioning if Braden was faking it. Just for the record Braden played with a fracture in his foot for 16 months...the kid is tough and wants to win. If he doesn't play and thinks he can and Purdue gets beat...not only Braden, but the rest of the team are not happy campers.

It may be hard to do, but trying to see things through their perspective rather than an outsider many times requires a different focus. Just as a FYI Dustin is having a beer right now with a Dr that asked if he knew me. I told him the Dr has known me forever and his wife was my older sister's best friend in high school. Small world...no idea the Dr was up there. ;)
To add to this: Purdue's athletic trainer program has always been considered to be tops in the nation. Painter knows he can trust the trainer's diagnosis.

Last edited:

yikes. Please tell me you aren’t this dumb.

Purdue's athletic trainer program has always been considered to be tops in the nation. Painter knows he can trust the trainer's diagnosis.

That is 100% true. My Son in Law says Purdue's guys are some of the best in the nation. He learned a lot at Purdue in the AT program and had nothing but respect for both the football and basketball AT staff.

That is why I hoped the post game reporters would ask a question of them. Those dudes know what they are doing and are flat out tops in their field. Would have been good to get info from the experts involved.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
yikes. Please tell me you aren’t this dumb.
Coming from the guy who makes threads to try to project he’s the smartest guy in the room. Sorry if I doubt Painter got a full medical report in 4 mins. And didn’t just ask his player “you good?” And put him in.

Best training staff in the world couldn’t possibly know if the injury could be worse from playing right then after a 4 min evaluation.

But considering you don’t think Painter ever does anything wrong, because “he’s the coach and knows best” I’m not really surprised you think he would know with absolute certainty how much risk was involved with putting him back in.

Fact: Braden left the game

Fact: Braden returned and was not even close to 100%

Fact: there is a real possibility the injury could have been aggravated by returning

Fact: Braden is the WORST injury we could take. TKR at the 5 wouldn’t be worse than LJ at PG.

There could be a debate back and forth if the injury was serious enough to hold him out of the game

It’s not a mischaracterization that he was playing injured and less effective and it could have easily ruined the season
I agree with some of your stuff, come on, Edey would by far be the worst loss, I love Braden but they could slide Lance to point and start Heide or Colvin, TKR would be a huge difference over Edey, can’t believe you said that.

Coming from the guy who makes threads to try to project he’s the smartest guy in the room. Sorry if I doubt Painter got a full medical report in 4 mins. And didn’t just ask his player “you good?” And put him in.

Best training staff in the world couldn’t possibly know if the injury could be worse from playing right then after a 4 min evaluation.

But considering you don’t think Painter ever does anything wrong, because “he’s the coach and knows best” I’m not really surprised you think he would know with absolute certainty how much risk was involved with putting him back in.
Why would he possibly need a full medical report? Was that another tongue in cheek comment. It's gotten to the point where it looks like you are just trying to be funny.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler

You do know 4 minutes of game time is more than 4 minutes, right? If that is even what it was

I agree with some of your stuff, come on, Edey would by far be the worst loss, I love Braden but they could slide Lance to point and start Heide or Colvin, TKR would be a huge difference over Edey, can’t believe you said that.
I dunno, Braden seems to be the biggest reason we are “different this year” and I think if TKR was at the 5 it’s more his skill set and I think he’d be decent. Probably shouldn’t discount the national player of the year. But we are probably screwed if either goes down. Edey is more important tho, but guard play is usually more critical in tournament. I’ll concede Edey would be a bigger loss but it’s probably closer than you think

You do know 4 minutes of game time is more than 4 minutes, right? If that is even what it was
Report I read said he went back to locker room and returned to the bench in 4 mins. And I believe was sent it right after. If I’m wrong on that, I’ll gladly admit it, it’s just what I read and my stream was delayed and it left my office when the injury happened and when I came back in, he was playing again.

My only point is Painter is coaching the game, I doubt he got much more than a few “thumbs up”. Sure, I get trusting your medical staff, but I just personally believe in being more cautious in that situation. Especially after you put him in, and he doesn’t look right. Like it or not, the tournament that will define the season is next week.

I got irritated with being asked if I’m a doctor. Painter isn’t either, he’s no more qualified to say “the injury can’t get worse” than me thinking it can. And he wasnt evaluated more than a few mins. Medicine isn’t an exact science, it was a short evaluation and the top doctor in the world can still make mistakes.

The movie “Miracle” was referenced. In the movie, the kid had a bad bruise. The coach asked if he could make it worse and the team doctor said a bruise can’t get worse but will hurt horribly. And so since it’s hockey, the coach fired the kid up.

Our starting PG hyper extended something, was laying on the floor in pain and then couldn’t put weight on his leg.

The comparison is ludicrous.

Acting like painter is right because I’m not a doctor is also ludicrous.

To say Painter had information that the injury could not get worse, can’t even be true. They didn’t do an xray/mri/whatever, he was barely gone

And the fact he said he “probably” wouldn’t play him if he could get more hurt scares me quite frankly.

Report I read said he went back to locker room and returned to the bench in 4 mins. And I believe was sent it right after. If I’m wrong on that, I’ll gladly admit it, it’s just what I read and my stream was delayed and it left my office when the injury happened and when I came back in, he was playing again.

My only point is Painter is coaching the game, I doubt he got much more than a few “thumbs up”. Sure, I get trusting your medical staff, but I just personally believe in being more cautious in that situation. Especially after you put him in, and he doesn’t look right. Like it or not, the tournament that will define the season is next week.

I got irritated with being asked if I’m a doctor. Painter isn’t either, he’s no more qualified to say “the injury can’t get worse” than me thinking it can. And he wasnt evaluated more than a few mins. Medicine isn’t an exact science, it was a short evaluation and the top doctor in the world can still make mistakes.

The movie “Miracle” was referenced. In the movie, the kid had a bad bruise. The coach asked if he could make it worse and the team doctor said a bruise can’t get worse but will hurt horribly. And so since it’s hockey, the coach fired the kid up.

Our starting PG hyper extended something, was laying on the floor in pain and then couldn’t put weight on his leg.

The comparison is ludicrous.

Acting like painter is right because I’m not a doctor is also ludicrous.

To say Painter had information that the injury could not get worse, can’t even be true. They didn’t do an xray/mri/whatever, he was barely gone

And the fact he said he “probably” wouldn’t play him if he could get more hurt scares me quite frankly.
I don’t think anyone is acting like Painter knows all. But it’s incredibly disingenuous to suggest that you know anywhere near as much as an athletic trainer who is both educated in the matter and performed an on site evaluation, no matter how brief it was.

I don’t think anyone is acting like Painter knows all. But it’s incredibly disingenuous to suggest that you know anywhere near as much as an athletic trainer who is both educated in the matter and performed an on site evaluation, no matter how brief it was.
Once again, that comment was tongue in cheek. The whole thing went by so quickly, it didn’t seem like there was much of a medical evaluation at all. And of course he’s going to say he’s fine, he wants to play, he’d want to play on a torn ACL. Donovan Mcnabb once finished a game on a broken ankle.

He got sent back in after a quick evaluation with his play clearly affected. Heck, we may have even had a better chance to win the game with him out and us playing Colvin or Heide. I just don’t see the point of risking it at this point. And just because Painter did, doesn’t mean it was the right decision. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t the right one either, but at minimum wasn’t the cautious one. And after Hummel and Haas, and the overall importance of this game, I don’t see how caution didn’t win the day.

To add to this: Purdue's athletic trainer program has always been considered to be tops in the nation. Painter knows he can trust the trainer's diagnosis.
There are no prerequisites to post and so in a forum it is easy to see a wide range of expressions. I have no problem with anyone questioning various things...coaching, strategy, players etc.. It wouldn't matter if I did. The problem is when someone who doesn't know, does not hold the line of not knowing, but rather states and insists that he or she knows more, knows better, without the requisite knowledge to begin to know. It is when it leaves questioning and then insists that those questions originating with a thought or feeling, are correct. Again, nobody has to agree with those actually involved with the team on the whole, but if you disagree then support your contentions with something above an opinion if your are adamant that your opinion is the correct one rather than bombarding the forum with more emotions resulting from your feelings.

Braden's injury projects the effect of the hype of the tourney on many. To begin to think that Matt would carelessly expose a player to further injury is to suggest that Matt cares about winning above all costs and certainly wouldn't be the coach so many previous and current players respect as that honest, fair coach. To think Matt cares, but is a fool for doing such...well then get a bit deeper than having the underlining emotions of a tourney yet to happen. The odds are Purdue will get beat in the tourney as they are for any team. Assuming that happens sometime, watch the emotional outbursts and blame for someone not providing the successful resulting desires for another, with no input into that success.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT