ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Haarms

Good for Matt, no ill will. It turned out great for Purdue though, Edey wouldn't have gotten any minutes this year if he returned, now he's getting good minutes that will help Purdue next season when a deep run in the tourney could happen.

Good for Matt, no ill will. It turned out great for Purdue though, Edey wouldn't have gotten any minutes this year if he returned, now he's getting good minutes that will help Purdue next season when a deep run in the tourney could happen.

I disagree with the premise that Edey would not be getting minutes had Haarms stayed. The kid is too good to keep on the bench, and while Haarms may have cut into his floor time, he'd still be playing (and contributing).

I agree that Edey would have gotten plenty of minutes. Would Painter have maybe played Haarms at the 4 (given that he has a better outside shot than Edey or Williams), thus taking minutes away from Gillis and Wheeler?

I disagree with the premise that Edey would not be getting minutes had Haarms stayed. The kid is too good to keep on the bench, and while Haarms may have cut into his floor time, he'd still be playing (and contributing).
I disagree, Williams and Haarms would have eaten up most of his minutes, he would have certainly got less than he has now, agreed?

I agree that Edey would have gotten plenty of minutes. Would Painter have maybe played Haarms at the 4 (given that he has a better outside shot than Edey or Williams), thus taking minutes away from Gillis and Wheeler?
If Haarms returned Edey would have got less minutes along with Gillis. Both of these two will be counted on heavily for next year, it's beneficial that Haarms left, it's not a shot at Haarms who I liked as a player.

This team is as deep as any Purdue team I can recall, and I can't imagine what the rotation would look like had Haarms or Nojel stayed. My educated guess is that they saw the writing on the wall, and that played a role in why their time at Purdue came to an end.

I am glad for Haarms and hope BYU will make the tourney as well. He has definitely been a consistent shot blocker: 2.0-2.1 blocks all 4 years of college. It is interesting that he didn't really get any more minutes at BYU than he did at Purdue the last couple years (22 vs 20-22).

Its always hard to say how many minutes and what kind of opportunity he would have had at Purdue this year. My guess is it would have been similar to the last few years (and what he got at BYU this year). Painter would have likely been tempted to play 2 bigs against certain matchups like he did some against Virginia.

Given COVID & not losing a year of eligibility, Edey would still have played, but he would probably would have had less minutes for sure (& perhaps slower development). Painter has discussed multiple times the struggle it is for young players who get inconsistent or limited minutes. He has been able to play through some of the struggles this year (especially early in the Big Ten), and grow through them. He has been much better at keeping it high, passing better out of the post, and just having better post awareness recently. I think the 2 big lineups would have continued to struggle or have inconsistent results and they would be unlikely to stick.

Edey is good but he no where close to being the defender Haarms is unless Trevion is in foul trouble I doubt he would play much.

Reactions: Russ Ford
I loved Haarms. His defense, energy, and blocks were great. Painter never would have played 3 bigs and he wouldn’t have sat a blocking senior fan favorite defender like Matt. Everything worked out great all around this year and everyone is better for it.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
If Haarms returned Edey would have got less minutes along with Gillis. Both of these two will be counted on heavily for next year, it's beneficial that Haarms left, it's not a shot at Haarms who I liked as a player.
I agree that Edey and Gillis would have gotten fewer minutes. But Haarms would have gotten far fewer minutes than he got last year and fewer than he got this year at BYU. It is working out for everyone.

If I'm picking at the playground, I'll take Edey & you can have Haarms. Edey would bury Haarms in the post in a five alarm barbecue chicken alert. 😉

Totally agree here. Edey is much better rebounder and can get a bucket when you need it.

I enjoyed Haarms like others in this thread and wish him well, but was thinking last night that this team doesn't miss a 7 footer that struggled to score in low post and a PG that struggled to hit a layup on court at the same time.

I agree except the way we are playing, a deep run through the tourney could happen this season, especially with every round being in Indy.

Totally agree here. Edey is much better rebounder and can get a bucket when you need it.

I enjoyed Haarms like others in this thread and wish him well, but was thinking last night that this team doesn't miss a 7 footer that struggled to score in low post and a PG that struggled to hit a layup on court at the same time.
He didnt struggle to score. His points per his about 10ppg in 22mpg or so were great sophmore and junior year. Maybe you are basing this on Hammons and Haas being very dominant, and haarms good not dominant. We are spoiled with centers lately, but to say he struggle to score is not reality.

Reactions: Russ Ford and klmLB
There were a couple of lines in that statement that kind of stood out...the one that really stands out regarding this is the "people I trust".

He got a degree...he has a future (somewhere) in basketball likely...good for him on both. He likely enjoyed his time in Provo, and, it was a free year essentially...I don't think it made him better...I don't think he benefited from it on the floor...personally, I am still disappointed that he did not take advantage of all that was available to him at Purdue, and, bailed on the program and his teammates. That said, given his failure to develop his game and take advantage of what he had, and, the decision to leave, it was a blessing for Purdue ultimately...more so in that it allowed for the development of both Edey and Gillis.

I find it a bit amusing that the two guys that left have both declared for the draft, with neither going to be drafted...because of listening to "people that they trust."

There were a couple of lines in that statement that kind of stood out...the one that really stands out regarding this is the "people I trust".

He got a degree...he has a future (somewhere) in basketball likely...good for him on both. He likely enjoyed his time in Provo, and, it was a free year essentially...I don't think it made him better...I don't think he benefited from it on the floor...personally, I am still disappointed that he did not take advantage of all that was available to him at Purdue, and, bailed on the program and his teammates. That said, given his failure to develop his game and take advantage of what he had, and, the decision to leave, it was a blessing for Purdue ultimately...more so in that it allowed for the development of both Edey and Gillis.

I find it a bit amusing that the two guys that left have both declared for the draft, with neither going to be drafted...because of listening to "people that they trust."
The lines that stood out to me we’re about him being valued and also being put in the best position to get drafted. Not sure if it’s simply just praise for the byu staff or also supposed to be a shot at the Purdue coaches.

Sure, we can agree with Matts departure, our guys got more experience, but we dont know, what we dont know here. Could matt have taken some of wheelers, gillis, and edeys minutes and been a net gain to last years team. Yes, definetely. Matt could have spent time at the four. before we look at 2022, lets finish 2021 shall we? He could have impacted a game or two. perhaps at the very least, his experience in an elite 8 helps us win the first round of the tournament. Lets say round two which we were favored, we have a 60% chance of winning. Who knows, if Matt could have been a net gain of 1 point, we change the trajectory of the season. So, then lets say we made it to the sweet 16, which would have been reasonable, we attract more attention to the program, and we get a 4* guard to come in because wow, this Purdue team looks hot, and who wouldnt want to be a part of it. but because we lost with a whimper, less attention was on our program in a huge transfer year. So, id say no, we were not better off because he left, because we are ignoring factors we could in no way predict because it alters unknowns.

Now way Haarms was influenced the way NE was. His was more of trying to be the bigger fish in a smaller pond with the ultimate DREAM of being in the NBA. Eastern or rather his mom was more than convinced that he will be going to the NBA…and not after four years in the case of Matt (rather after his sophomore year in the case of NE).

Regardless. He would have provided more depth. Period. Would have stymied Canadedey or Gillis who knows? If Wheeler played better we would Gillis developed the way no one expected?

Reactions: Indy_Rider

Haarms will be drafted. You can't teach 7', and he's really a decent player. I wish him nothing but the best.

Past time to move on just as he did! Purdue snd he had a good year and our issues were at the Point Guard and outside shooting neither of which he could have helped!
We had issues at power forward though. Gillis was efficient but low usage, wheeler was wildly inneficient all around but decent defensively.

Haarms will be drafted. You can't teach 7', and he's really a decent player. I wish him nothing but the best.
I think he has a chance to be drafted too. He's a mobile 7 footer. A good shot blocker with a passable outside shot. I'm not going to say he will be for sure but there is a decent chance.

• Haha
Reactions: JohnHoosierr
If I had to guess I would say he will at least see some time in the NBA whether he is drafted or undrafted. Having a 7’3” guy who is pretty mobile is a good thing to have in the NBA.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
If I had to guess I would say he will at least see some time in the NBA whether he is drafted or undrafted. Having a 7’3” guy who is pretty mobile is a good thing to have in the NBA.
He can't handle the ball...he can't make a post-entry pass...he does not have a jump shot from distance...he is physically overmatched...he does not rebound...he is a rim protector, but, even that is much different at the NBA. I would be stunned if he was drafted...almost as stunned if he was on a roster even.

I'm a Haarms fan and appreciate his time at Purdue but I don't see him getting drafted. As others have said, I do think he'll make some very good $$ in European leagues.

But I guess you never know. The Celtics drafted Tacko Fall (or picked up as UFA, can't remember) and I think Matt is probably the better overall player.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
He can't handle the ball...he can't make a post-entry pass...he does not have a jump shot from distance...he is physically overmatched...he does not rebound...he is a rim protector, but, even that is much different at the NBA. I would be stunned if he was drafted...almost as stunned if he was on a roster even.

If you are 7’3”, can move, and can catch a lob, I think you have an ok chance of at least playing in some games. I’m not saying he will make a roster or even get drafted but someone will probably give him a shot. I think he would be an asset in pick and roll defense. He might be a guy a contender takes just for those defensive matchups.

Besides Haarms, who was that second guy who left and declared (tic)?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT