ADVERTISEMENT

Mason Gillis to Duke

It still astonishes me that we couldn't find a way to keep him on the team. If he wanted to stay that is. He will start for Duke...high major starters don't grow on trees.

I say this as an IU fan, Gillis is a great pick up for Duke. The kid impacts winning on both ends and brings real toughness to a team. I really wished he would have gone to a team I liked because now I have to continue rooting against him.

He'll be a great contributor there. Assuming he has a degree from Purdue, this will be a great chance to get an advanced degree from another highly regarded (though slightly overrated IMO) university.

It still astonishes me that we couldn't find a way to keep him on the team. If he wanted to stay that is. He will start for Duke...high major starters don't grow on trees.
I don't know what their roster looks like for next year yet, but I would bet that he does not start. Solid role player yes.

Good for Mason. I know people hate Duke but he gets to go to a blue blood program for a year and a good school. Much rather this than to see him at another B1G school or freaking ND.
Certainly glad Gillis is not going to a B1G school.

It's more difficult to dislike ND basketball with Shrews at the helm as he is not a gasbag with a zillion highlighters and aware that there are roads connecting South Bend and West Lafayette.

Can’t dislike ND basketball with Shrews at the helm. Once he has success and upgrades I can go back to disliking all the things ND.

Wish him the best hope there is more than basketball that Duke is offering. Sure have a load of 5 and 4 star recruits coming to Duke. 2 C, 2 G and 2 F.

IMO he's the perfect player to add to an ultra-talented and inexperienced incoming class. Experienced at leading, all about winning, and selfless on the court. And he's good to knock down 40%+ from 3's when he's open which I assume the talent on this team should probably draw plenty of help to get him open shots.

Reactions: drewjin
I’m happy for Gillis. This seems like a perfect situation for him. Duke is gaining 6 new freshmen. That incoming class is so good they are scaring the current players away . I highly doubt Gillis starts, but he can be a great mentor about college life, academics and the fundamentals of college basketball and protocol. I have to believe the new incoming recruits will be looking to him for guidance. I also believe the Duke coach will be looking at him. As sort of an assistant coach.

I’m sorry. I just can’t see Gillis starting for Duke.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
It’s healthier for the program long term to let the young guys play and grow and develop. We’re already at 14 without him. Including a bunch of guys who can play the 4…

Can’t dislike ND basketball with Shrews at the helm. Once he has success and upgrades I can go back to disliking all the things ND.
Oh- I can…

Shrewsbbury and Jaden’s mom notwithstanding , there’s always plenty to loathe about those effete tools….

Reactions: Schnelk and BBG
Wish him all the best since he got his degree in 3 and a half years at Purdue and was working on an MBA, so I hope he finishes that up at Duke.

He would be better served by a year with Shrews and a degree from ND. That being said, I hope he is a silver lining in what will otherwise be Duke's steady downward trajectory.

He would be better served by a year with Shrews and a degree from ND. ….
I honestly couldn’t care less about either institution, but you’d be hard pressed to find many neutral observers who think a doma degree is superior to a dook degree.

The domaz do deserve credit for crafting a university that the football program can be proud of😁😁

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
So? Why are you here? Why over qualify your statement on Gillis, a player who doesn't play for your team to begin with?
This is such a strange post to me. I get the hate for IU guys who come over here and talk trash and act like jackasses. I don't do that. I happen to like Gillis and think he's a terrific player. So I said so. What's so offensive about that to you?

I honestly couldn’t care less about either institution, but you’d be hard pressed to find many neutral observers who think a doma degree is superior to a dook degree.

The domaz do deserve credit for crafting a university that the football program can be proud of😁😁
Like anything, it depends on the field. I do a lot of hiring for my company and have never been let down by any of the Domers I've brought on. They have also been a lot of fun on a personal level.

We've brought on two major duds from Dook, though. There may be some selection bias based on our geographic location (more Domers here than Dookies), but I would generally lump the two schools as being in the same "tier" generally, with a lean toward ND in my particular field of expertise.

Reactions: RossMackey
Like anything, it depends on the field. I do a lot of hiring for my company and have never been let down by any of the Domers I've brought on. They have also been a lot of fun on a personal level.

We've brought on two major duds from Dook, though. There may be some selection bias based on our geographic location (more Domers here than Dookies), but I would generally lump the two schools as being in the same "tier" generally, with a lean toward ND in my particular field of expertise.
Fair enough -- I've come across decent folks from both schools as well -- some really cool people, interspersed with enough jack-wagons to perpetuate my disdain for both places!

Lost in this is the fact that we have players now transferring to a “blue blood” vs western Kentucky, etc. Speaks volumes about our talent level and player development.
It's a lateral move. Had he transferred to Indiana, it would have been a huge step down. Much worse than Western Kentucky. Western Kentucky makes the tournament. :cool:

Reactions: Boiler Buck
It's a lateral move. Had he transferred to Indiana, it would have been a huge step down. Much worse than Western Kentucky. Western Kentucky makes the tournament. :cool:
I’d like to think so too but until Purdue wins 5 national championships and goes to 17 final fours then I’ll consider it a lateral move. I wouldn’t think Purdue fans would think a Duke transfer is a lateral move either.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT